7.3

Most common solutions:

2. replace engine (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 GMC Sierra 1500:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

Aug 012018

Sierra 1500 5.3L

High oil consumption, 3.5 quarts used. Start milage 49591, oil change today 53598 milage. 4007 miles 3.5 quarts used. Got low oil warning around mid November the dealer added 1 qt. Today they said it was 2.5 qt low. I had to remind that it would be 3.5 qt consumption in 4007 miles. Not good!

- Mark E., Normal, IL, US

May 092017

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L V8

Today I checked my oil it was 2 quarts low with 40% all life left at 4300 miles since the last oil change. This is the second time this has happened. I was told before to check it every day and if I burn a quart in the first 1500 or 2000 miles then GM could do something about it. I can't understand why they won't do something. Why they won't disclose this when you're purchasing a $50,000 vehicle all they can say is GM allows for 1 quart every 2000 miles. I never had a car where I had to add oil between a change. My truck only has 31,600 miles and I'm ready to trade it. Because this is a bunch of BS. Buy my truck back and let me move on this truck is going to be nothing but problems.

- Hubert L., Blackwood, NJ, US

Jan 022017

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L V8

With 30% left before the next oil change I've added 3 and a half quarts of oil.

- Patrick K., Johannesburg, US

Feb 072017

Sierra 1500 XLE 5.3L V8

Upon learning of the problem and the class action suit I traded the vehicle

- Carlton L., New Orleans, US

Feb 152017

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

Excessive oil consumption with a 48,000 dollar truck, with less than 40,000 miles is ridiculous. To add insult to injury, the service manager told me,"GMC acceptable limits is 1 quart for every 2000 miles." REALLY!!!? I bet if you have a sign in the show room that said that, NO ONE would buy a GMC truck! Don't think I wont make it my mission to start waking around some dealerships with that on a BIG SIGN!

- mikemontgomery, Southaven, MS, USA

Sep 152016

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L V8

I purchased this truck brand new in 2014 and have not used the truck to do anything extensive as far as pulling, etc. Have not overworked the truck at all! The truck is like brand new inside and out I have taken very good care of it. All of a sudden the computer read out said I need to add engine oil. My first thought was there must be a bad sensor, no way this truck is low on oil, had the oil changed 5,000 miles prior and I am on a plan to change it every 7,500 with synthetic oil. After the readout came up a second time the next day I checked it. I had to add 2.5 quarts of oil to get back to where it should be. The consumption on this truck is .5 quart of oil every 1,000 miles. I find this very aggravating and to be honest complete bull sh*t because every GM dealer I have called has said that this is normal and within standard operating limits published by GM. So at the end of the day I have a truck that I paid 52,000 dollars for that I have to watch the oil and add to it not to damage the engine. This truck is still under full factory warranty! The next thing that I worry about is once i'm outside the 3years/ 36,000 miles, what if I start having other problems that are created from this issue. Fouled plugs or maybe even worse? I have always been a GM guy, grew up that way, but this really has me second guessing GM products and I am just baffled that they won't do anything about it. Not a happy Customer!

- bradleeg, Terre Haute, IN, USA