7.6

$1,190

Most common solutions:

1. replace condenser (13 reports)
  3. replace compressor (6 reports)
  4. replace entire AC unit (3 reports)
  5. replace A/C line to pump (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 GMC Sierra 1500:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

Jul 252019

Sierra 1500 5.3L

Had the truck 4 years and replaced the compressor 2 times. That makes 3 compressors in this 4 year old vehicle. Now I got to replace it AGAIN. 2 compressors in less than 3 weeks, no air at all. GM needs to stop with the cheap bullshit parts, its costing me time and money.

- Joka P., Mes, TX, US

Jun 272019

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L

2015, 50k miles, A/C starts blowing warm air. I'm an HVAC tech, checked refrigerant charge with gauges, it's low. Some quick research reveals a known issue with condenser failures, top right corner, look for the oily spot. Dealer wouldn't do anything, will repair myself with aftermarket. Auto parts store stated they sell 3 replacement condensers every 2 weeks. My 2006 Envoy A/C compressor died at 65k miles. No more GM (government motors) vehicles for me. Gm is not going to step up to the plate on this one.

- Don Y., Edmond, US

Jun 152019

Sierra 1500 5.3L V8

So air conditioning starts blowing hot air on an extremely hot day. Stinks of rubber, thought I blew a belt. No such luck, it just quit. Took it to the dealer they said I had no refrigerant in the A/C system and they would have to order in the parts. I tell them go ahead, cost around $1300.00 Canadian. This sucks. Where I live has hot summers and I bought this truck new, never mistreated it or anything other than towing an antique truck. So why on such a new vehicle is the A/C failing? Go online see I am not alone with this issue. As a long time GMC fan. I am disappointed with the lack of empathy GMC shows for this issue. It is obvious that this is not a one time thing, but a very common occurrence. If you want to class action suit in Canada I would be happy to recoup some of my losses.

- twoosterbc, Summerland, BC, Canada

Jun 162019

Sierra 1500 LT 4.3L V6

I have owned numerous GM products in the past. This is the FIRST one I have ever had an AC problem with. GM knows they have an issue with numerous lawsuits out there but yet they sit on their asses because it don't matter to them as far as having a recall. This model and year has had numerous recalls already on faulty equipment ranging from the seat belt to the air bag sensor and the brakes. This is ridiculous and I demand some type of resolution.

Update from Jun 28, 2019: So repair shop technician told me for 15 years of doing ac work on automobiles he's never seen a compressor blow a hole out the bottom. It is square shaped and about an inch in length. Yea GM is gonna see this personally to give me my money back of 1100.00 to have their faulty sh*tty equipment fixed.

Update from Jul 8, 2019: So I got truck back after spending two weeks without it due to going through three compressors. Blew cold air for two hours then the damn thing stopped blowing air AGAIN. The clutch stopped working. SCREW YOU GM AND YOUR PRODUCTS!!!!!. This is fu#$ing RIDICULOUS!!!!

- Chris M., Columbia, SC, US

May 052019

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L V8

Went out 18 months after I bought it 1/25/16.

I paid $1500 to fix, now blowing hot air as of 05/05/19.

- mtnherla6, Redlands, US

May 012019

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L

Here comes summer and my GMC sierra's a/c starts blowing hot air. I search for a fix and find hundreds of other people with similar issues and two class action lawsuits.

Help! What can I do? I don't want to pay $1300 to fix it at the dealer!!

Any update on the lawsuits? Any help from dealers?

- Rich B., Cranford, US

Apr 052019

Sierra 1500 SLT V8

After going to the dealer and having ac repaired, they gave me a number to call GM, 866-522-9559, to discuss the situation and see what GM would do to rectify the situation. I called GM and discussed the issue with a service team member. I was told it would be elevated to a Senior Service advisor for review and that Senior Advisor would call me within 2 business days to discuss my situation. Instead they had the Dealer call me the next day to tell me GM would not be doing anything concerning my situation. With all I have read regarding the ac problems on GM vehicles why is this not a recall situation?

- Rich H., Louisville, US

Apr 032019

Sierra 1500 Slt All Terrain 5.3L

Have had this truck a little less than a year and the Air Conditioner started blowing hot air.

- Camaro S., Eureka, KS, US

Apr 012019

Sierra 1500 LX 3.2L

Would have thought that this issue would have been covered under a recall or Warranty.

5th GM Pickup that I have owned. All had way over 100,000 miles and never had A/C Failure. Very disappointing.

- Dale Sue R., Franklinnklin, LA, US

Oct 062018

Sierra 1500 LT 5.3L

My 2015 GMC Sierra had the AC stop working at 40k miles. Turns out the air conditioner line that goes to the pump had a seal go bad and the freon escaped! GM knows about the problem and made an after market brace to install on this joint! They decided to push the cost to fix it onto there costumers again if your past the 36k mile warranty.

- basscatcher72, Escondido, US

Apr 032019

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

AC quit working while out of town on vacation. (Bad timing). Got it home and had to buy a couple things. But diagnosed the problem myself. After doing some research found out that my condenser is leaking in the same spot thousands of others are.

- Dale N., Salisbury, NC, US

Mar 112019

Sierra 1500 SLE

This truck (GMC Sierra 1500) is a 2015 and had under 50k miles on it when the a/c started blowing hot air. This seems to be an ongoing issue with GM vehicles yet no recall has been established for any models affected by the problem. It's warming up outside, and here in Texas it's going to get very hot. GM needs to do something!!! These are lemons they're selling!!

- John W., Spring, TX, US

Jul 142018

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L V8

Bought this 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT in July of 2015. When turned 38,000 miles, the battery had to be replaced. I called to ask if it was covered under warranty and was told no, so i replaced it! After that I started noticing the drivers door would not unlock when I pressed the button on the key fob, again not covered under warranty!

So July 2018, I notice the AC not blowing cool (approx. 74,000 miles), so i start researching online. I find that THOUSANDS of people are having the same problem with their GMC. I watched a video on YouTube and the guy did a leak check and said to look through the grill on the right side (@ the condenser), if you see an oily spot by the tubing connection you have a leak. Low and behold!!!! OILY SPOT!!!! LEAK @ the very spot he pointed out!

I called the dealer and was told it was not covered and has no recalls. So I have to eat this cost also! It will cost roughly $1300 for the dealer to do it, around $900 for another shop to repair.

How many people does it take to have the same issues for GM to recognize its THEIR FAULT??? I would like to get in on the lawsuit!

- Joey L., Walker, LA, US

Sep 132018

Sierra 1500 Denali 5.3L

Sounds like the AC issue is a common problem. Where can I join the class action lawsuit?

- Tim H., Puyallup, WA, US

May 012018

Sierra 1500 All Terrain 6.2L

Purchased this truck new (as my first new vehicle out of college) in August 2015. At the beginning of this summer (May 2018) I went to use my AC for the first time and found it wasn't working. Swung into the dealer and they reported no refrigerant was left in the system so there must be a leak. They were very honest and said they had seen condensers going bad in this truck. They charged the system and said come back for a leak test. Less than 24 hours later the refrigerant had leaked from the system again and after doing some research I was able to identify the leak was from the condenser in the known trouble spot.

I began doing some additional research and found that many people had experienced this issue with a myraid of responses from dealers/gm (no payment assistance, partially covered, fully covered.) I additionally found that GM is covering the failure of this part in the SUVs only (yeah.... that's right) under special coverage 17336-03. This detail made me very angry. I spoke with my dealer and they were unable to offer cost assistance and I was told to contact GM customer care. After speaking with GM they reported that they were also unable to offer any assistance and were unable to provide details as to why they were covering the replacement of this very same part on the SUVs. After my contact with GM I decided to go to my state's Attorney General's office regarding this matter. They sent several letters to GM with no answers back.

After all of this I decided that being treated this way is unacceptable. I took the truck back to my dealer, had the new updated condenser installed for roughly $1300.00 and plan to sell the truck to purchase a 2019 Ram. I do not believe I will be returning to GM for any vehicles in the future. Overall my dealer has been wonderful to deal with throughout, I wish they sold other brands.

- Christopher K., New Boston, NH, US

Apr 132018

Sierra 1500 SLT

Purchased new in August 2015 and less than 3 years, AC blowing hot. Took it to the dealership and was told refrigerant was low. Added refrigerant and AC blew cold for about 3 days. Took it back and was told I needed a new condenser, but the part was on a national backorder and the cost was approximately $1,300.

I have e-mailed, written a letter and responded to a GMC survey my dissatisfaction with this issue. Crickets! After investigating online and discovering I'm one of many that have experienced this exact same issue, you would think GM would step up and address this issue, However, I do not anticipate this happening. After owning multiple (20+) GM products, this will be my last.

- jeffrey61, West Chester, US

Apr 132018

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

I bought the 2015 Sierra 1500 SLT as a certified used vehicle with 17000 miles on it in 2016. In April of 2018, the AC began to not blow as cool until it quit blowing cool all together. I hooked my gauges to it and noticed that it was running extremely low on coolant. I put a full bottle of coolant in it, and the next day it began to blow hot again.

I did some research and noticed that this was a common problem. Brought it into my dealership (Gerry Lane GMC) who immediately knew where to look to find the leak. They contacted their representative who stated that GMC denies any assistance with cost of replacement. After haggling with Gerry Lane, they brought the total price down to 900.00 and some change. I contacted GMC directly, and they refuse to offer any assistance. This is part one of why I am getting rid of my GMC.

- Brad M., Greenwell Springs, LA, US

May 012018

Sierra 1500 LT 5.3L

I bought this pickup used with 40,000 plus miles on it in the fall of 2017. The one thing I did not check was the a/c due to the cooler temps. Now spring arrives and the first time I try to use it nothing but warm air comes out. I take it in to get it checked out and it is completely out of freon. They fill it and add a dye to check for leaks. That was 136.00 bucks right out the window. I made it 20 miles and it blew it all on the ground. There was excessive back pressure at the pump itself and the only recourse is a whole new unit. I just got rid of a 2007 Silverado with 200,000 miles on it and never had a single issue with the a/c. When you pay over 30,000.00 for a good used pickup you sure don't expect to replace the a/c right out the gate. After reading these other comments I find am not alone in my frustration with GMC. First they cut the warranty way back and now it seems they use sub standard parts right out the gate. How else can you explain the life of an a/c unit to be this short? Maybe they will read this and at least pay something to try and keep a good name in the pickup industry cause right now I sure am not impressed with my choice.

- Rick R., Foley, MN, US

Sep 282017

Sierra 1500 LT 5.3L

Had just put new tires on it and picked it up from the tire place. Pulled out onto the highway and started smoking and whining. Pulled back in only to find the A/C belt laying in the bottom of the cowling burnt in two and the A/C compressor locked up. Carried it to Richard Karr GMC to see if it was still under warranty. Told me no since it was over the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper but that they would see if GM would give me a break on it. The service manager Mike Lee contacted corporate and the local GM rep himself to try and get me some help and GM denied ALL claims. I tried contacting them too and all I got was "I'm sorry" this happened but we can't help you. The lady was very rude and was trying the best she could to get me off the phone as fast as she could. Blanket statements of apologizing but that was it. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE at all!! The dealership actually ended up knocking off about $200-$300 on the new compressor and didn't charge me for a loaner truck while it was getting fixed, but it still cost me $1026.36 on a truck with 44K miles on it. Again, the local dealership was great. This is a corporate problem from the top down that can't admit when they have a huge problem with A/C compressors going out and should issue a recall and reimburse owners for their problems. I can tell you without a doubt, this will be the last GM product I buy. Your actions prove your customers who spend $40-$50K of their hard earned money on your products don't mean squat to you. I would have been happy if GM would have picked up any portion of the repair at all and it would have gone a long way to keeping me loyal to the brand. I hope the GM vehicle you corporate execs drive breaks down and leaves you stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the summer in Texas!

- Daniel C., Waco, US

Nov 232017

Sierra 1500 Texas Edition

Drove 10 miles from my home, turned on A/C. As soon as it started up, it stopped blowing, then we smelled smoke and the truck stalled. Wouldn't restart. After a few minutes, turned off the A/C and started it right back up. It's ran fine for the last two months as long as I don't turn on the A/C. Called the dealership and asked if its covered under the warranty, but no, I have too many miles on my truck. He told me to bring it in so they can diagnose. I told him my son can replace the A/C Compressor, and he laughed. Then I said, he's an auto mechanic. Then he got pissed and said, "give us a call when your ready" and he hung up on me. I'm definitely NOT giving them my business, jerk!

- socalmom, Mission Viejo, US