7.1

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 GMC Sierra 1500:

Jul 232019

Sierra 1500

Truck shift into gear very roughly. Shakes when driving through all speeds. Feels as if something is falling off the truck.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 182019

Sierra 1500

No transmission power regardless of the gear shifter position. I turned the engine on and off several times trying to get a solution, no luck. I returned to the vehicle 5 minutes later and did get it to move, ,,would only go 25 mph at 3000 rpms. I was in the middle of wi not near any major dealership on-star was useless saying I had a major engine problem and the computer was trying to protect the engine. I was directed me to a Chrysler dealer ship, who told they could not get me in for 2 weeks, suggested another branch which was over 45 miles away. I drove 5 miles to a friends house and was able to find a dealership in janesville, wi (fagan). When I started the vehicle to drive to janesville, the transmission did work. Fagan spent 2 hours working on it, and could not find a cause for the problems, they checked every computer, could not duplicate what happened. They reprogrammed all the computers. Then in cincinnati, oh the power steering assist went "off", while staionary. I tried restarting several times to no avail, drove the 3 miles left to the G'kids house, no power steering, trailer problem lighjt on, no RPM or mph needles moving. Called local dealership (borcharding) and they suggested I drive it to their location 12 miles away. When I started it, the power steering was back on, but the unit would not get out of 2nd gear, ran 40 mph at 2500 RPM, warning lights all on, engine light still on. Next moring I started the vehicle, everything was okay including the transmission problem, but still had the "check engine on", the dealership kept it (2) days, involved GMC engineers, could not determine the cause for all the problems, including loss of "steering assist". they drove it over 50 miles on two trips, could not duplicate what happened. They told me it was some kind of computer problem, but could not determine, they reset everything again.

- Delavan, WI, USA

Dec 082018

Sierra 1500

The truck was being turned on to resume driving after brief stop. The vehicle engine turned on but vehicle steering locked, front and rear exterior lights went out. After truck turned off for 20 minutes. The steering wheel unlocked, the exterior lights turned back on. I called GMC roadside services-!they recommended towing vehicle to dealership.

- Ganado, AZ, USA

Nov 042018

Sierra 1500

I was driving 70 mph down highway 75 in mckinney tx, when my steering completely locked up. Luckily I managed to get truck stopped and towed back to dealer. This could easily have been a fatality accident.

- Anna, TX, USA

Jun 302018

Sierra 1500

When driving the vehicle it steers very hard like a lack of power steering than all of a sudden it feels like the power steering kiks in causing a over steering situation. Feels like you have no control. Have talked to other owner who has same issue. Pickup has 40 miles on it. It happens every time I drive it.

- Larimore, ND, USA

Jun 202018

Sierra 1500

When in traffic at any speed the steering wheel will actually turn to the left. It takes you buy surprise and it's a strange feeling. I was told by the dealer their is no issues. Very scary! it happens at anytime and without warning.

- Bangor, ME, USA

Mar 102018

Sierra 1500

Steering pulls to left when driving at any speed, and terrain. Pulls enough to turn you into oncoming traffic if you do not correct. Took to dealership and was told nothing was wrong with the truck. Steering problem continues and is definitely a safety issue.

- Sykesville, PA, USA

Dec 072017

Sierra 1500

When driving vehicle at any speed it steers to the left or right. Not a simple alignment pull or wander I can feel the wheel as to which way it wants to steer at random. If not paying attention or if you were to let go of the steering wheel it will go off the road absolutly not safe to drive. While accelerating the vehicle feels like the brakes are being applied and does not accelerate I have to give excessive gas petal throttle to get up to speed. There have been times I have came home from as short drive and I can smell the brakes they smell burnt hot. One instance I was merging onto the highway and the truck struggled to get up to 60mph I had the petal floored and the truck would not go over 65mph the engine was @ 5000rpm maxed out it would not shift nor go faster than 65mph. Randomly transmission thunks thud and slams into gears when the automatic transmission is shifting at low speed below 50. While driving truck feels like the drive tran is bound up like brake is applied on individual wheel(s). I have had nothing but problems with this truck very weird issues that don't make mechanical sense. Also the instrument cluster gauges and infotainment screen don't light up just black screens after starting vehicle. Happened 2 times now. Radio was off while driving then came on full volume without touching anything. Service stability /steering warning came on once.I can hear front transfer case engage and disengage at low speeds randomly when in 2wd. Randomly stuck in low gear when accelerating from a stop. And you don¿T have to use the brakes much to stop you because as soon as you let off gas petal the vehicle nearly comes to a stop without applying brakes. And if you are turning it will at times come to a complete stop. Has been to dealer 6 times now they say everything checks out. There is a major computer issue or is hacked per all ive researched.

- Kennewick, WA, USA