7.6

$760

Most common solutions:

1. replace tail light assembly (26 reports)
  2. replace complete taillight (7 reports)
  4. replace wiring (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 GMC Yukon:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

Sep 012019

Yukon Denali 6.2L V8

Seems rather expensive when the old tail light assembly can be removed the same way and for a few bucks change the bulbs. Now this procedure costs (depending if you can do it yourself) an exorbitant amount for something that is not supposed to fail and that GM will not replace if you are over 50,000 mi.

- brucej455bw, Alliance, US

Aug 012019

Yukon SLT 5.3L

Well apparently GM knows it has an issue with the LED lighting and that the connecting metal piece fractures and you have to cut off the plastic to solder the connections together or pay $600 for a new tail light. GMC should be made to recall this issue the vehicles only four years old and they want $600 for a light

- John M., Grafton, US

Aug 162019

Yukon XL SLT 5.3L

This my second complaint for the same vehicle! My first complaint was # 26 I believe. And after replacing the defective pos taillight assembly with one from a 2018 Yukon (a whole story in itself) the freakin thing died again! That leads me to believe that it may be something else other than crappy LED lights and boards. We shall see... I am taking it back to the same dealer and explaining the new situation. I hope they can reach out to somebody higher in the GMC/GM food chain and spark some interest and light a fire under their lazy indifferent asses! The funny story is: After being told by the dealer the replacement would be nearly $800+ and I didn't feel like going thru the trouble of boxing up the defective one and sending it to one of the eBay guys to fix it for $110.00, I pulled my 2018 Yukon XL Denali right up next to the 2015 and proceeded to swap out the right tail light assemblies. Since the '18 is under warranty, that was my ace in a hole! I then re-installed the defective tail light on my Denali and the 2015 XL had a new functioning tail light. That only lasted a few months! But I did promptly take the '18 Denali to my local dealer and they replaced my bad tail light with a new one under warranty. Even funnier the dealer didn't have one in stock and they nicely didn't want to delay me so they got approval from the higher ups to swap out a taillight assembly from something on the lot! Sounds kind of familiar! Ha! So on we go and I feel like King Kong as I defeated the GM problematic lack of service and warranty scenario only now to be faced with the problem again! Stay tuned for an update after I see what the dealership can do this time... Please understand that I do not make it a practice to be deceptive and slightly dishonest on a daily basis - only when one of the big ones screws us little guys!

- S Andrew S., Weeki Wachee, FL, US

Jul 232019

Yukon Denali 6.0L V8

The first taillight assembly (drivers side) was replaced when the vehicle was less than 2 years old. Now the other assembly (passenger side) needs to be replaced. Both times it was because the brake light did not work. So the taillights work, the turn signal works but the brake light doesn’t so lets replace the ENTIRE assembly at a cost of over $700! The design of this taillight assembly is ridiculous. It is on back order so that means it’s happening to a lot of people. When will it become a recall? If the lights aren’t working it is definitely a safety issue.

- Rick S., Vacaville, CA, US

May 012017

Yukon Denali 6.0L V8

Thought it was odd to replace the entire taillight assembly just because the brake light did not work, but it was covered under warranty so really didn’t care about cost.

- Rick S., Vacaville, CA, US

Mar 012018

Yukon

I have contacted the company numerous times, taken it in to a local shop as well as the GMC Dealership. Everyone knows this is an ongoing issue. I've collected many photos of this same make and model just here in my small town that is also experiencing this exact issue. Some days one tail light/brake light is out, other days its both. How can GMC say this isn't an issue they should be responsible for? THIS IS A SAFETY hazard. These lights are LED and said to last for extended years. Its not a light issue, but a wiring/electrical issue. GMC told me to have it taken in, which I did, and had to pay $70 for a diagnostic test that said I needed to replace both lights. What? Why?? Its the wiring not the actual light. Something needs to be done. Lawsuit? Recall? I don't care but I will not spend any of my money for their mistake.

- Brittney S., Hattiesburg, MS, US

Jun 292019

Yukon XL Denali V8

The day of replacing a simple bulb is almost gone....everything is LED. Please explain to me why an LED tail light is not easily repairable and WHY THE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY HAS TO BE REPLACED FOR $800....JUST THE ASSEMBLY?! This 2015 Yukon GMC (Denali Pkg) has cost me a ridiculous amount of money to replace things that shouldn't be replaced with only 86K and less miles such as shocks at 76K. The radio decides not to work on a rare occasion and the transmission takes a varying 2-4 seconds to shift into reverse and sometimes with some loud noise [clanging]. Junk!

- Craig R., Richmond, US

Jun 292018

Yukon SLT V8

Ridiculous! I bought my GMC used. Unfortunately I did not get the extended warranty. The light went out 4mo after I had it. Dealer said $700 to get it fixed. I did buy one on eBay for $300 cheaper. Now the other light is acting up!

- Kimberly B., Middle River, MD, US

May 222019

Yukon ES V6

My 2015 GMC Yukon tail lights works intermittently. If I hit the light it will come on and the other tail light flickers when I hit the opposite tail light. I'm so frustrated at the dealership because they said it will be $900 per light to fix. I think that is absolutely ridiculous!! I was trying to research how to replace the light myself and wound up on this website. The lights should definitely be recalled. The way the light flicker on and off when we hit the bulb leads me to believe it is an electrical issue. Am I wrong?

- Erika H., Phoenix, AZ, US

May 022019

Yukon Denali XL 6.2L

I have 2 2015 Yukon Denali XLs and had to replace the taillights on one about a year ago. Now the other Denali needs both taillights replaced. This is a very common problem. Why isn't there a recall on these taillights?

- Al T., Peoria, AZ, US

May 062019

Yukon Denali

Unbelievable that two new tail lights cost me $2100.00 at the dealer. Not covered by any warranty and it's sad that LED taillights had to be replaced so early on in this car's life. IT WAS A HUGE SHOCK at the COST, just pitiful.

- Shana M., Christiana, TN, US

Mar 232019

Yukon Denali

The passenger side rear tail light ensemble is malfunctioning. The brake light does not work, however the turn signal does work. I figured it would be a simple bulb replacement. My daughter and her boyfriend went to town for me and went to AutoZone. She called and said "guess how much?" I said $19--she said "TRY $800!" The whole tail light needs to be replaced and it is LED. She said we are going to the GMC dealership to see if this is actually correct. Unfortunately, Midway Motors in McPherson KS verified that the part is almost $700 plus labor if we want them to install.

I feel that is a ridiculous cost--and then I see that many have the same complaint. This is our third Yukon Denali and I'm a little disappointed.

- Tammy G., McPherson, US

Mar 122019

Yukon SLT 5.3L V8

The new fancy LED taillights are really neat, until they go bad. Would love to have my $3.00, pain in the butt light bulbs back. The dealer knew what he was going to have to tell me when I asked him how much will it cost. He made sure he was behind the counter before telling me. $750.00 ..... UNBELIEVABLE!

- kltopdawg, Paul, US

Feb 022019

Yukon LX V8

The whole back taillight had to be replaced. Poor design and a common problem on the 2015 Denali. There is a common area that breaks.

Not only a big expense but also a large waste of material considering the whole unit has to be replaced. Cost is over $800.00 and the dealer buys back the old light for $50 seems a bit suspicious by GMC.

- Kristen S., Menlo Park, CA, US

Feb 202019

Yukon XL SLT 5.3L

June 2017 we purchased a Certified used GMC Yukon XL SLT with 34,000 miles on it from a GMC dealer. The certified label lured us into thinking it had an extended warranty and the dealer would stand behind this vehicle. So far any issues were handled by the dealership quite well and we were satisfied.

Now less than 2 years have gone by and I noticed the right rear taillight was not working properly - only had one area that illuminated. The dealer service dept just checked it out and told us it would be $691.00 to replace it, it was not covered under anything! They tried to calm us down and said they could try and locate a used one... that would be $485.00!

I have researched this and found this site and it seems I am complaint #24 for this dilemma. I have seen where we can send the assembly off and have it repaired for $110.00 plus shipping to and from. So before I do that I just may have that defective unit pulled off that vehicle (my wife's Yukon) and I will swap it out on my 2018 Yukon and then take mine to the dealer and get it replaced for free under the warranty!

That's dirty dealing but that is what we must do to combat defective materials by our beloved US automakers... otherwise I will join the bandwagon and purchase foreign crap that lasts longer, costs less and probably has a better warranty on it - and not buy US products like we want to. Thanks GM for the headache and disappointment!

- S Andrew S., Weeki Wachee, FL, US

Feb 202019

Yukon SLE 5.3L

This is the 2nd time my right (passenger) side rear tail light / brake light went out. About an $800 fix. The first time was in April 2018 and then February 2019. No longer under any warranty. Something electrical is causing these lights to malfunction.

- Chris H., Kirkwood, US

Dec 222017

Yukon SLE 5.3L

There really should be a recall issued for this since this is happening so often with other owners.

- Arnel D., Palo Alto, CA, US

Dec 172018

Yukon SLT 5.3L

Passenger side rear taillight/brake light LED assembly stop working. Had to replace the whole assembly.

- Gail D., Lebanon, US

Nov 012017

Yukon

So does anyone have the phone number to call and report it, so there is a list going? This is ridiculous. Why isn't there a lawsuit yet? If anyone has a solution on how to get GMC to cover it, I'm all ears.

- Liz D., Palm Beach Gardens, US

May 142018

Yukon SLE 5.3L

Passenger side rear LED light assembly went out. Dealer wanted $700 for part plus labor to take out and put new in. Suppose to last for 50,000 Hours. Mine lasted about 1400 hours. Use to be able to just put in new bulb. Not any more. The whole assembly or nothing.

- Chris H., Kirkwood, US