Most common solutions:

2. new transmission (2 reports)
  3. rebuild transmission (1 reports)
  4. replace the transmission (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

May 012007

Accord SE 2.2L

First to second gear shift is rough. Engine revs. If you back off of the throttle as it shifts it does not jerk as bad. Transmission shifts ok from 2 to 3 etc. The drain plug magnet is always loaded with particles. I change oil often to try to extend the life of the trans. Dealers will only offer junk price on trade in because of this problem.

- , Plattsburgh, NY, USA

Jul 122015

Accord 2.8L

I had my Transmission replaced about 2 years ago at 170,000 miles. It just started ticking really bad then. Now after I have had a used Honda trans put in for $2400 and now at exactly 200,050 miles. My car took a big sh*t on my way to see the band Cake about an hour away. I was almost there then without warning going up a steep hill the trans started revving high between 4 and 5 rpm and not moving! So I let off the gas and tried to ease up the hill. It would not move. So I turned around and pulled over only to smell burning trans fluid. Checked the fluid levels and it was fine.

Luckily I made it home because of all the roads from there on were flat but I was easy on the pedal keeping it between 2 and 3 rpm. Closer to home the car started bucking and the trans was acting up again because of all the red lights I had to stop and go at.

I thought Hondas were suppose to be long lasting when maintained the way I do. Also to have this happen without warning! Now the engine light is on and I think my car is done! I am really disappointed with the quality of this car! Honda has 100,000 mile warranty for a reason

Because they know the car is due to turn to sh*t after that! I'm in the middle of moving my family to another home still paying hospital from my almost 2 year old daughters birth with one on the way in Sept! This really sucks!

I live down a hill so I don't know how I will get it out of here with out a tow! I love Honda but very confused about the brand now! Don't know if I will buy another Honda product again at this point!

- , Annandale, NJ, USA

Sep 102013

Accord SE 2.4L

Really sick of the shifting problem Honda should fix it. I cant even sell the car the way it is. Other than that, it is a nice car. Too bad!!

- , Rochester, MN, USA

Dec 032012

Accord SE 2.3L I4

Revs high before shifting 1-2. Is apparently a common problem with this transmission.

I am going to try cleaning the solenoids and seeing if that works, but it's still going to require crawling under a car to get them and a while to clean them just to hope it works. If nothing else I guess I could replace them but that's not cheap.

Honda has seriously let me down with this one after all I've read about their transmission issues for the past several years. No car of mine will have a Honda automatic in it until this problem is resolved by Honda. Otherwise, I will look elsewhere. It's ridiculous that this is the #1 complaint on the entire website. At least it seems that way

- , Plainfield, IL, USA

May 232012

Accord EX 4 cyl

About a year ago I decided to get a new car, since the one I owned was getting older and though very reliable started to compile issues. That car was a manual transmission Civic. I traded that car in at 200,000 miles. So since that Civic lasted a long time I thought "why not get another Honda I could pay for one out right with over a hundred thousand miles on it and know that it would last me along amount of time. So I traded mine in for a automatic 2002 accord with 130,000 miles for 6,000 dollars thinking it would last me at least four years. NOPE. Lasted a year exact. The dealership did not give me a warranty and I thought everything would be ok and every time I took it in for regular service the dealership said the transmission was ok. As of today the transmission is slipping. The car just revs and then may finally get into gear. Feels like the car is in neutral. Called dealership and they said it would cost me AT LEAST 3,000 dollars to fix the issue. Found this site and saw how many issues there were with accords that have transmission problems. If only I knew then what I know now. DO NOT BUY AN ACCORD!!! My whole family prides itself for owning Hondas. One of my family members is still driving a 98 accord with 298,000 miles on it. Honda used to be reliable now they are a joke. Now I had to miss work and am currently looking for a dependable used car.

- , Howe, TX, USA

Sep 012010

Accord EX 2.3L

Transmission started sliping at 95,000 miles. Flushing the ATF helped for a while, but problem returned in full force.

- , San Rafael, CA, USA

Feb 032012

Accord SE 4 cyl

when i first noticed the problem, i was driving and the check engine light came on, the D4 light started flashing and the car didn't want to shift. when i was going 30 mph the car was revving at 4000-5000 rpms with no intention of down shifting. so now when i drive it, i have to carefully use my gas pedal and help it shift as well as manually shifting it. it seems to help but the car is definitely not highway safe. i haven't taken it over 35 mph since it happened because i fear the engine would explode if i tried! i took it to o'reillys for a free diagnostic scan and all it gave me was a generic code that i took home and looked up and found about 5 potential things that could be wrong with it. all of them not good, or cheap. my car is a 2002 honda accord with 155k and i have always maintained the car very well. there shouldn't be these kinds of problems with it!

- , Portland, OR, USA

Apr 112012

Accord V6

It won't go forward when I shift into gear. Please Help!!

- , W.Melbourne, FL, USA

Mar 012012

Accord 3.0L

I just bought my car. i have a loan on it not happy at all. When I'm driving down the road the car revs kinda high up to 4 before it shifts in to gear i don't know what is causing the issue and i don't have the money to fix it and my warranty ran out i don't know what to do.

- , Mohawk, NY, USA

Apr 302012

Accord LX 4 cyl

We have a 2002 Accord with 77000Miles on it bought in 2003 with regular service and now Transmission is toast I've had tons of cars and trucks never any transmission problems. It's pretty clear there is a problem here and honda should have a recall or come to the table in some way 4 grand to fix a $6000 car when done, its junk at 77000 miles. Would not buy another.

- , Kenora, Ontario, canada