9.1

$2,522.00

Most common solutions:

1. replaced transmission (93 reports)
  3. replace transmission (19 reports)
  4. sold the Accord (3 reports)
  5. traded in for new Accord (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Dec 152009

Accord EX V6

My 2002 Accord has been serviced exclusively at 2 Toronto area Honda dealerships. In June 2009 Parkway Honda did approx $2400 worth of repairs (triggered by the infamouse Type 4 scheduled maintenance). I drove the car less than 200kms, the engine light, oil came on. All oil drained from car. They towed 150kms to the dealer and 'fixed' it.

In Dec 2009 i take my car for Type 1 service and new tires. They call back to tell me the pistons that hold the hood up are shot $180 to replace (I declined)..they called back again $1000 in brake work...nice. Total bill $2200 cdn..after which i drove the car less than 200kms...D4 light, TCS light and Engine light are on...prognosis..new transmission.

Dilema...I have a car with $900 worth of new tires, $1000 worth of new brakes...that won't run...i've spent more than the book value of this car on repairs/maintenance in the past 12 months. The dealer gave me a break and total cost of new trans, alignment and labour is $2600 (they took %15 off labour, %50 of price of new transmission)

Honda Canada...does not care or stand behind their product. The dealer a

- , Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dec 052009

Accord EX V6

Consumers buy Hondas expecting reliability and longevity. I bought my first Honda in 2002 and I have been having regrets ever since. I know 2 personal friends who also own a Honda Accord 4 CYL and they both had their transmissions crap out on them, and they had no problems getting it resolved. Unfortunately the lawsuit filed only extended and covered the warranty from 1998 to 2001. WHAT ABOUT 2002! They said they redesigned the transmission, but from what I am hearing from a vast number of people in the US their transmission is having concurring problems (redesigned to fail). My grandparents drive this vehicle we bought for them and is it going to take a loss of their lives from a defective product to call for a recall or fully covered replacement? These corporate barons find the cheapest way to get out of these types of problems, but as a consumer it is our RIGHT to have these issues addressed. I am in the process of contacting a class action law firm to see if we can get another lawsuit going. If you own a 2002 or any Honda Accord between 1998-2002 please contact me so we can get these corporate swindlers to pay for their obvious design flaw.

Regards,

James

- , Garden Grove, CA, USA

Nov 022009

Accord EX 3.2L V6

There is a national safety board that will accept complaints and look into our failing 2002 Accoord EX V6 Tranny failures. It has posed a great safety risk for me and I am sure it has for you guys too. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov

- , Corona Del Mar, CA, USA

Nov 042009

Accord EX 3.2L V6

I hear ya Ladies and Gents..I have a 2002 Accord EX V6 and my tranny is on the outs...Lets unite! They should have just added $2500 to the price of the Accord because EVERYONES transmission is shot. Its F'd up and American Honda should listen. My family members all buy Hondas but since this problem and lack of response from Honda, no more Honda purchases.

- , Corona Del Mar, CA, USA

Oct 182009

Accord SE 3.0L V6

Driving my 02 accord on a sunday morning around town when it downshifted, jerked violently then shifted up. I turned around to go home and when I went to pull up on the driveway the transmission would not grab until around 1500 rpms. I took it to the dealer which was 40 miles(65kms) away and on the way the check engine light came on as well as the abs,tcs and D4 lights. Dealer looked at it and said it needed a new transmission and the cost of $5000. I phoned Honda head office for a goodwill repair but they said they were willing to do nothing for me. At 58,000 miles(92000kms) there is no acceptable reason that a transmission should fail like this. This is my wife's car which she loves and was looked after very well. Beware when buying a honda because they don't seem to have a problem putting a sub-par major component in their vehicles, and they don't stand behind their product.

- , Camrose, AB, Canada

Oct 072009

Accord EX 3.2L

OK - so I HAD (key word) a 2002 Honda Accord EX. I'm putting this story on here because I promised Honda that I would tell as many people as I could about this story & convince more than the 2 I already have NOT to buy Honda. I bought it brand spanking new. At 40,000 miles, the transmission failed. Now here's the kicker; it was covered under my EXTENDED warranty - the warranty the dealership was trying to convince me NOT to buy. I'm glad I listened to my gut. Anyway, it was replaced (rebuilt trans - new ones didn't exist nor do they exist now for this make/model). At 59,000 miles, THIS trans failed. The dealer ship (Coast Honda in Wall, NJ) told me too bad - they didn't put an ext. warrenty on that trans, even though my car was still within 10,000 miles of the warrenty. I took it to Kay Honda in Eatontown & they replaced and put a warranty on it. Then at 105,000 miles, THIS trans began failing. Keep in mind, this transmission only had about 45,000 miles on it. They said the best they could do was to give me the trans but I had to pay $1700 to have it installed. I told them that by now they owe me a new car, not a trans and that their best wasn't good enough and at this point with all the problems I've had (trans wasn't the only problem), I will never buy Honda again. Please be sure to do your research! I've looked up this make/model & see that now people are getting screwed over with the brakes with the 2008 model! Do yourself a favor...don't buy a Honda!

- , Bayville, NJ, USA

Mar 012009

Accord EX V6

I had experienced no problems with my transmission..went in for routine motor oil change. Service mngr told me I needed a new transmission. He said the 2002 was the only model that did not have a Honda transmission installed. I told him I'd had no problem and would hold off on the replacement of my transmission. Went back in 4 months later for another oil change, was told I needed new transmission...$3100. I delayed again. In mid October, 2009 at 92,000, my engine began to rev up on its own. I took the car to an independent mechanic who found no problems...revving had stopped after 2 hours driving. I took it to Honda and they said it did need a new transmission. (apparently they don't investigate to see what's wrong...just replace the entire transmission). I found online Honda complaints that 2000-2003 Hondas have a transmission problem...can rev up due to torque converter, burn out transmission fluid, and burn up the transmission. I called Honda and they now say they will pay 1/3 of the cost of replace of my transmission....the total cost of which is now $3200....$100 more than 3 months ago.

I fully intended to drive my one and only Honda (bought new because of my mistaken buy-in to their false reputation)300,000 miles. Now I am sick! There should be full free replacement of the transmission IMO.

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Oct 032009

Accord EX 3.2L V6

Second transmission in two years, and Honda doesn't want to absorb the cost. They replaced my first recalled transmission at a cost to me of $640. Now, just two years later, they want to charge me $1,370 because they replaced my first faulty transmission with a second faulty transmission. They suck. They don't back up their product, so I won't buy a Honda again and neither should you.

- , Robbinsville, NJ, USA

Aug 102007

Accord EX 3.2L V6

The transmission in my 2002 Honda Accord EX, V6 Engine failed after 66,668 miles. Even though a recall was made on 1998-2002 Honda transmissions, when I called the dealer, they said my VIN was not covered under the warranty. However, if I paid the shipping and some other costs, they would replace it at a cost of $642. What could I do? I didn't think it was fair that I had to pay anything, but I did. Now two years later with 90,000 miles, the transmission failed again. They claim they gave me a new transmission, but how can two transmissions fail in two years? Now they want me to split the cost with them where they will pay 60% (or $2,000) and I will pay 40% or $1,370. I am fighting with American Honda Corporation right now. It's been three days and I've yet to hear from the Regional Case Manager. To top it all off, last week I purchased a brand new 2010 Honda Insight. I chose not to trade in the car because I thought the transmission problem was fixed and it was very reliable otherwise. Now I'm stuck with a big repair bill after I used every bit of my savings plus took out a $20,000 loan to buy the Insight. I was going to give the car to my son as he just started a new job and needed something reliable to travel back and forth to work at fairly long distances. Ha -- what a joke!

- , Robbinsville, NJ, USA

Sep 172009

Accord SE 4 cyl

My husband and I purchased a 2002 Certified Honda Accord special edition from Barber honda in Bakersfield Ca. When we purchased this car in January of 2007 it had 47,524 miles. At 57,106 miles and 8 months later the transmission goes out WOW right?? So Barber Honda replaces the transmission & all is well up till we put 47,000 more miles on it and the transmission goes out AGAIN. We take the car in and YUP the transmission FAILED AGAIN SO OH MY GOD I HAVE ONLY OWNED THIS "CERTIFIED" ACCORD TWO YEARS AND ITS ALREADY NEEDING ITS THIRD TRANSMISSION!!!! Barber Honda contacted American Honda and they don't wanna help in any way shape or form to fix the problem So now we have a BIG MONEY PROBLEM to fix the transmission Barber Honda wanted $3,027.58 + tax ....So I have now filed a complaint with the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU against Barber Honda We have also contacted an attorney and they said we HAVE A CASE....AND I PROMISE THIS ISN'T THE LAST BARBER HONDA HAS HEARD FROM ME =D

- , Wasco, CA, USA

Aug 242009

Accord LX 3.0L V6

This V6 Accord had been hesitating then hard down-shifting on acceleration since about 45,000 miles or so. This time, after accelerating onto a highway, the Accord would not shift up into D4. The Check Engine and TCS lights came on steady, and the D4 light blinked. Putting the gearshift into D3 caused the D4 light to extinguish, but the other lights remained lit. Putting the gearshift into D4 caused the D4 light to blink again, but the car didn't shift. The Accord made it home in D3. When I restarted it after it sat for about 20 minutes to drive it to the dealer, it shifted normally but the Check Engine light remained on. The dealer put it on a tester, and the error code indicated that the transmission had failed and needed replacement after just 76,000 miles. I cajoled Honda (through the dealer) into stepping up to the plate. They covered 25% of the cost, leaving me with about $2200 to pay. I believe that they should have covered much more of the cost, as transmissions, especially Hondas, should last longer than 76,000 miles. I have friends with U.S. cars over 180,000 miles with no major issues. I was shocked when I found this site and learned that 2002 Honda Accord LX's are 13th on a top 20 list of most troubled cars. Shame on Honda!

- , Arlington, VA, USA

Sep 022009

Accord LX 2.3L 4 cyl

Since my 2002 Honda Accord 4-cylinder had a replacement transmission at 21,000 miles or so and was fully covered by the factory, I was shocked when the transmission failed again at 68,000 miles. At first Honda wasn't going to cover the repair but through persistence I was able to get the repair bill down to $200.00. As I told the Dealer Service Manager and AHM personnel in Torrance, CA: It is not normal for a vehicle with 68,000 miles to need a second replacement transmission.

Be polite yet firm with people you come in contact with; stay focused on the problem, not the person, and you'll get results. I know Honda tracks these failures carefully; contrary to what some within the company told me when I was talking to folks there. My next question I need to resolve is will this car need another transmission in another 40,000 miles or so? Should I sell this car? I don't know the answer to that question but I do know it's nice NOT having a car payment...something to ponder as I use this car.

- , Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Jul 072007

Accord LX 2.3L 4 cyl

Read about the transmission problems on 2002 accords but only thought that the V-6's were affected; this car is a 4 cylinder model. Had car towed to dealer where transmission was replaced at no charge.

- , Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Sep 142009

Accord EX 3.2L V6

I always trusted Honda and am responsible for a number of honda sales via word of mouth recommendations. But now I totally regret it; I never expected such a major failure so early. And Honda Canada chose to totally play by the policy and didn't help at all. I'll never buy Honda again and will disseminate the same message to others as well unless their customer service is willing to take this feedback seriously and do some sort of recall (there are hundreds of issues reported and probably thousands non reported)...

- , Markham, ON, Canada

Aug 212009

Accord SE 4 cyl

2002 Honda Accord with 67,000 miles. Properly maintained with a total transmission failure. After repeated calls to Honda USA I had to finally call the president of the local dealership to get a response for me. Honda finally decided to pay for half. I will still owe $1500. If you are the second owner of the vehicle you are out of luck. It also appears they are not giving anything if your vehicle is over 100,000 miles. Be persistent and you may get half the cost paid. Good Luck

- , Plains, PA, USA

Aug 152009

Accord 3.2L V6

Well add yet another Honda Tranny Failure, SURPRISE! Really to me it is, but at one point really trusted a foreign auto maker, heard only great things, resale value, reliable engines, and a long road life, that was at one point. Now, Honda, well appears they can not be trusted.

Well add me to the list of another Honda fool stuck between a rock and a rock, the story starts about a year ago, me and my wife purchase our 1st Honda, after hearing of the high resale value, and a stable engine performance. How could we go wrong? Well 08/15/09 presented that answer, the transmission can go south.

The problem started about at 100,000 miles, when I noticed that if I did not allow the vehicle to warm up, that if I just got in the vehicle, and backed out of the drive way, placed in drive, apply the gas, that there would be a huge surge in the RPM's, and a strong jerk, as it shifted into a gear, at the time figured perhaps a transmission flush would solve the issue.

All seemed well, then the warm up scenario crept up once again at about 110,000 miles, well figured it runs fine, as long as It is properly warmed up, vehicle getting a bit older, so we'll baby it .

That all changed the other day, as I was out and about hiking, went to the car to head home, got a 30 mile trip. After about 5 miles, the D$ and check engine lights lit up, and there was this definite RPM Surge with no forward motion.

I pulled over, shut the engine, and waited a few, re-started the engine, the D$ light stopped blinking, but the C.E light was still on, I was able to get home, as long as I went slowly, and slowly I went.

Finally got home, and re-newed the ill forgotten AAA member ship, (Hence Why I ended up driving very slowly for 30 miles) and towed it to our mechanic, still awaiting the $ quote, and the final out come.

Honda should have a recall, seems like a pretty common issue, as I learned googling to see just what we faced. We will try any phone number, and see what assistance there is, Honda still does not appear to Qualify for the "Cash For Clunkers", unless I am missing something, and still would have to repair the Tranny.

Look forward to hearing any advice, or suggestions from fellow afflicted Honda Tranny folks!

- , West Warwick, RI, USA

Jun 162008

Accord ES

As a former loyal Honda owner, I was totally disgusted when the transmission failed. I purchased this car used, so I had no warranty protection. Honda did offer me $800 towards replacement, but the total repair bill would still run over $2000 which I could not afford. It's one year later, and I purchased another transmission, had a mechanic put it in the car and it lasted one day. Can you feel my pain. I'm still paying for a car I can't drive.

- , Jackson, MS, USA

Jun 172009

Accord 2.3L 4 cyl

Without any warning my Accord transmission started jerking and slipping. We checked the transmission fluid and couldn't figure out what the problem was so I took it to the Honda service department. The service manager told me that the transmission needed to be replaced immediately because total transmission failure was imminent. I was shocked because my mileage was only 44,242. Also, I am very conscientious about maintaining my vehicle. Baytown Honda wanted to charge me $3600.00 for a rebuilt tramsmission. I told them that was unacceptable and that an Accord transmission should not fail at such low mileage. Baytown Honda was not willing to negotiate with me so I took my Honda to a local transmission specialist who rebuilt the transmission for $2849.16. After I left Baytown Honda I went online to research Honda Accord transmission failure. This web site was very helpful. One of the posts suggested that I negotiate directly with American Honda Corporation In Torrance, California. After numerous faxes and telephone conversations with a regional Honda case manager, American Honda Corporation offered to reimburse me 50% of the replacement cost. Today a check in the amount of $1,424.58 arrived in the mail from American Honda. I think that I was successful in part because I submitted a complaint to the Office of Defect Investigation ( branch of NHTSA) and received a case number. I used my ODI case number as leverage with American Honda Corporation.

- , Baytown, TX, USA

Jul 062009

Accord SE 2.3L 4 cyl

I loved my Honda. I noticed the transmission slipping and it having trouble shifting. I took it into the Honda dealer and paid them $105 to tell me what I know - I need a new transmission. They tell me it will cost $3400 to fix. I figure, oh well stuff happens so I decided to look on the internet to see how much a tranny would cost to do it myself and discover this site with 150+ other complaints describing the same thing.

This is unacceptable Honda. Especially since it seems to be a known issue. I shall call their corporate and complain and take my complaint to my local Honda dealer. Maybe they will stand by their product and resolve this for me

- , Prosper, TX, USA

Jun 052009

Accord SE 2.3L 4 cyl

I just got off with phone with Honda Customer Service in Torrance. Told them this was the 4th Honda I've owned and that I just had it serviced at the dealer and that the dealer said that the transmission would need to be replaced soon and was given a quote of $3,000. I asked for some "good will assistance" as I just learned I am being laid off. I was told that Honda sticks by the 3-year/36,000-mile warranty and that my car was out of warranty. I explained that this car has the same transmission as the '00s and '01s and that thousands of online users had the SAME PROBLEM. He tried to end the call. I said that this would be last Honda and that I would be buying a Toyota, and that as a marketing writer I'd be warning others about this problem. No response. Adios, Honda.

- , Burbank, CA, USA