8.0

$1,386.00

Most common solutions:

2. per Honda consuming 1qt per 1k miles normal (39 reports)
  3. I heard that Honda replaced worn rings and engine short block (20 reports)
  4. call American Honda corporation to complain (13 reports)
  5. rebuilt the engine (13 reports)
  6. replace engine (12 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Honda Accord:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Sep 132017

Accord EX-L Unknown

I purchased Honda Accord 2008 EX-L in late 2007. The car drove funny from very beginning. It produced a chirping noise from the exhaust. I took the car back to dealer, they kept the car for a week gave the car back to with some exhaust work. They also told me they could not really find anything in the car.

This car has been driven maybe 10 miles a day used only locally, thank God for that.

Early this year I noticed that car is consuming a lot of oil. I thought it might have a leak around the oil pan. I checked all over the engine and could not find any leak.

I keep adding oil to continue to drive the car. My daughter called me one day that her car got stuck in the middle of the road. I rushed to the scene and there was an engine light in the dashboard. I checked the engine oil. There was no oil in the engine. I went to walmart poured entire 5 Quart container into the engine, waited for few minutes, the car started.

I took my car to the dealer in town, explained my experience, they told me that I have a warranty extension. They will have to replace the oil and do the monitoring for every 1000 miles. I took my car there after every 1000 miles the car burned 1.5QT every 1000 miles, I did that 3 times. They told me that they will send all the information to Honda to decide what they will do. I receive a phone call from the dealer they told me that they need to upgrade software. They upgraded software the car still burns excessive oil. I called the dealer and Honda they basically told me their warranty expired there is nothing they can do about it.

This is ridiculous they manufactured a defective car and did not tell their customers, they hid the problem from their consumers. They also told me that they are not allowed to send out warranty extension notices to consumers. Really bad experience with Honda, I will never buy their car again. I have a Toyotal Sienna 2009, I drive that car all on highway and put around 10000 before I change oil and not a drop of oil burned.

I need a second car my another car will def not be Honda

- , Bloomington, US

Nov 302016

Accord

Originally Honda told me this was a problem with the VTC actuator and that it was an issue with all of that specific part used in 2008 Accords. They told me there was a service bulletin addressing the issue but never a recall. They said it would cost upwards of $800 to fix, but that there was still a chance the new part would be faulty since Honda never did anything to remedy the defect in the part.

Now they are saying it is the engine and an oil issue, also a problem they have refused to address or remedy. I am no longer under the manufacturer or extended warranties, but would have been right around the end of the extended warranty when the problem first started to appear last year.

It boggles my mind that such a "reputable" car manufacturer has no qualms with allowing loyal customers to drive cars with defective parts; parts that are inherently defective and of no fault or action of the driver. I know many people are loyal Honda-ists, but I will NEVER purchase a Honda again. This is absolutely ridiculous.

- , Tallahassee, US

Jul 012013

Accord LX 2.4L I4

This car was a nightmare in a nutshell. Never had any other cars with this type of problem. We just sold this 08 LX in August 2017 and are so happy to be rid of it. Let me sum up my problem in a nutshell. We bought this car CPO in 2010 from Sunnyside Honda in Middleburg Heights. Good price on it and given it was a Honda we figured we were good for the long haul, now granted this car never left us stranded, it kept burning oil at an alarming rate, more so in the winter than summer. it also made a grinding noise when you would start it. I was putting in 1 quart of oil every 750 miles (yes, thats right...750 miles) and the problems only got worse. Once in the middle of winter I checked the dipstick and it was bone dry! And there was no oil light on the dash!! (this was last winter) For fear of serious engine damage we traded in the car this summer and upgraded to a newer accord which does not have this issue. After owning many hondas this was by far the worst accord we have ever owned. I have a 07 Accord and its rock solid with no issues at all. DOES NOT BURN OIL! I feel bad for whomever bought this car off the used lot as they have no idea it was driven with almost no oil in it. I'm sure the engine will fail soon. The dealer sure did make it attractive for someone that had no idea. We ditched it just in time. The other Honda dealer (Also in Cleveland area- Ohio) said "oh we send these cars right to auction don't want to risk selling it" but then put it right on there used car lot for sale and it was gone within a week.

Also of note, we have to have the whole rack and pinion steering replaced right after we bought the car. Near the end of our ownership (around 1/2017) it started acting up again just like before. This was a 2800$ fix under warranty the 1st time. So by the time you add up a failed engine at 4,000$ and a failed rack and pinion steering box, someone is in for a nightmare of ownership with this car. Also the struts were leaking and the brakes were problematic as shown in other posts on here. I would avoid this year and model accord. Unless you like paying for repairs.

- , Broadview Heights, US

Aug 022017

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

I've owned this Accord since January 2014, and I've had to continuously add oil to it. It averages out to need a quart every 2-3 weeks and that has ALWAYS been my problem with my car. I clock my mileage after every oil change and currently its been 2340 miles since changing my oil and I've already had to put 2 quarts of oil in it. I've been looking around and seeing I'm not the only one having this problem, but having a 4 cylinder engine, I see I am not covered in this Class Action Lawsuit.

I was willing to deal with always having a 5 quart bottle of oil in my trunk to keep from seeing that red oil light, or prevent from hearing that rattling sound when going from first to second gear, but I'm pissed off at Honda now that my car cant even go past 30 mph!! My check engine light began blinking, so I knew I was in trouble. I began reading about similar complaints regarding similar Honda models drinking oil, and the possibility for my potential repairs to be covered under some class action suit so I took it to the dealership.

The dealership read the codes and said it's a cylinder 2 and 3 misfire, but dismissed my oil consumption claims as oil leaks. I told them my car doesn't "leak" oil, it "drinks" it and it has been something I've had to deal with since purchasing the car. The dealership said repairs would cost $3800 and this would not be something covered in the class action suit, so I'm pretty much screwed. I don't have the funds, and I need my car. My family are all faithful Honda owners, but this is my first Honda and it's left such a bad taste in my mouth, I'm 100% sure I'll never deal with those crooks at Honda again.

- , Washington, DC, US

Jan 072017

Accord EX-L V4

Accountability! If Honda knows about problem, then fix it.

- , Aliso Viejo, US

Mar 182016

Accord EX 2.4L V6

I have been jerked around by my local Honda Dealership, here in Lisle, Illinois. They wanted me to do some experimental design by checking my oil every 1000 mi.

When I first brought it in the shop, in March 2016, they told me that I was leaking oil , supposedly whoever changed my oil last had left the Oil pan bolt loose. The I came back on April a month later, they told me I had a crack next to timing case shaft. The in June they did admit it that I was not leaking oil but burning oil.

- , Westmont, IL, USA

Jan 012017

Accord LX 4 cyl

Even though Honda acknowledged the problem with the pistons/rings on 08 Accords and extended the warranty, they are unwilling to assist a long-time, devoted Honda owner who encountered the problem shortly after the warranty expired. Obviously the excessive oil consumption began while the car was still under warranty, but, since I change every 3000 and drive a Honda, I had no reason, nor did my mechanic, to check oil levels between or during oil changes. Who does these days? All this has fallen on deaf ears at Honda.

We all need to think again about Honda quality and, especially, their commitment to loyal customers (this is my 4th Accord).

- , Milwaukee, WI, US

Oct 012014

Accord LX-P 4c

a quart of oil every 1k miles..... that is all that needs to be said. Crazy they did a recall on the 6 cylinder and not the 4...

- , Athens, Al, USA

Jan 012017

Accord LX 4 cyl

The car is leaking oil internally, and although these cars are supposed to last upwards of 300,000 miles, I will probably have to buy another one soon because of a faulty engine. This is the same issue as the V6 version and there should be a recall.

- , Los Angeles, CA, US

Apr 012012

Accord EXL 2.4L

Had the oil consumption issue at 45,000k, engine was rebuilt under warranty. Currently at 125,000 K and going through the same issue. When will it end. Although Honda Canada has been excellent about warranty coverage, this car has been a pain in the ass. Battery replaced under warranty, overhead light wiring replaced under warranty, front breaks replaced under warranty, engine grinding at start something replaced under warranty. Key fob, piece of crap, has never worked properly, that is not replaced under warranty. How am I ever going to be able to sell this piece of garbage? Definitely feel like I purchased a LEMON.

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Aug 012014

Accord EX

Having the same problem so many others have. For almost 3 years, I've been adding a couple of quarts of oil per month with average car use. I had no idea this was a common issue or that there was a warranty. I've had it to my repair shop several times and their conclusion was that my car just uses oil. Contacted my local service center and they told me to call Honda. Honda informed me that because my car had either an original purchase date over 8 years or 125,000 miles, whichever was first, that this is no longer covered. What a bunch of bs.

- , OlatheO, KS, US

Jul 092015

Accord EX V6

I feel that my vehicle should have been given the extended warranty - I just found out that certain honda accord models were. I have been burning oil and going through spark plugs ever since I got this car. I am fed up!

- , Reading, PA, US

Apr 012013

Accord EXL V6

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption

Back around 2013, I had asked a service tech if there was any recall on oil consumption because I was burning through oil very fast. They said no, so I just kept adding oil. Fast forward to December 23, 2016, I was at Atlantic Honda in Bay Shore, NY getting another recall taken care of. I mentioned the oil consumption and the tech said they can do an oil consumption test. I had to get an oil change and drive for 1000 miles. I Went back to Honda on 3/7/17 at 1000 miles and was told I was very low on oil and my car falls into the category to get repaired. The service rep went on to tell me that it was a big job and he will assign me a loaner car. By the time I walked to his desk from the waiting room, things changed. He said his manager told him that they were now going to do a "service bulletin" 11-049 DATED FEBRUARY 6, 2013. (Remember I was there in December 2016 and NO ONE MENTIONED THIS SERVICE BULLETIN). I then had to do another oil consumption test. I asked this service rep why this software wasn't updated back in December 2016 since the bulletin was put out in 2013. He had no good answer. I went back to Atlantic Honda at 650 miles because my car was making a familiar sound that I hear when oil gets low. I spoke to the manager, Paul. He was absolutely no help at all and was very condescending. He was supposed to call Honda USA because my car was 6 months past the warranty for this problem that should be a recall. I told him I would call Honda, since he was just wasting my time fighting back and forth with me. As I was getting ready to leave, a service tech came in from the parking lot, where they tested my oil. He said my oil was fine. I told them I checked it before I went to Atlantic Honda and it was 1/2 quart low already. He said "well now it's fine". I told him I wanted to see them test it and they did and the oil stick showed oil over the full mark?!?!? I said no way and said they had to have put oil in. Paul asked me if I was accusing them of being dishonest. I told him to look at it from my point. I left Atlantic Honda and drove home (approx 10 minutes away). I checked the oil after 1/2 hour and it showed 1/2 quart down. I immediately went online to ask how to do a proper oil test. The first thing it said was TO DO ON A FLAT SURFACE! I recalled when I was leaving the dealership, as I was backing up I had to apply pressure to gas to get out of the dip I was in. That is why the oil showed OVER THE FULL LINE. I called Paul back immediately and he didn't answer and never returned my call. Today, April 19, 2017, I returned at 975 miles for them to check the 1000 mile Oil Consumption Test. Paul was nasty from the moment I got there. I explained to him that he was inaccurate with his reading on the oil stick and he said (as he rolled his eyes) that being in the parking lot would not make a difference even with the front of my car in a dip in the parking lot. He then left and came back with a tech to check the oil. Both told me that my oil was fine. The picture I uploaded was Paul holding the oils stick with his thumb nail showing where the oil was up to. If you have eyes, you can see that the oil was not up to where his nail was. He proceeded to tell me that my oil was full. He told me HONDA called him the other day and he told them my oil was full! It wasn't and he gave them a very inaccurate statement to Honda. Paul, the service manager at Atlantic Honda, was so rude and condescending throughout our conversation. Even telling me that he called me back, when in fact, I have no record of a missed call or message. As we spoke about his last oil check, he said "so what if it was wrong, what was I off? A 1/4 quart" ?!?! I told him it's oil test 101....,he asked what.... I said to know to do a test on a flat service, especially since he's been doing this for a long time (his words) As of right now, I am awaiting HONDA USA to call me back to resolve this problem.

- , West Babylon, US

Mar 242016

Accord EXL

would have never bought the car if I had known how much oil it used.

- , Ripley, US

Mar 012017

Accord EX 2.4L

I had my oil changed on my 2008 Honda Accord a while back at a regular scheduled 3000 miles. My wife was planning a trip so I went out to check her oil and found that it was basically empty. I took for granted that the shop was at fault for not either putting in the proper amount or installing the filter properly. However, we recently have found the car has started taking about a court of oil every 650 miles. We called Honda to be told this is normal for a car with 86,000 miles. Well...we had a Honda CRV that had over 250,000 miles on it and drove it across the united states that did not use a drop so I know this is not normal wear. If this is the new normal for Honda cars, I can assure you I'm not going to be a participant in the norm.

- , Hudsonville, MI, US

Mar 012017

Accord Ex Coupe 4cl

We bought our 08 Accord Coupe and my son was driving it and noticed it would make a grinding noise starting up in the morning. We took it to the Honda dealer they could find nothing wrong but said there was a recall on something that might fix the problem ( it didn't)! Around 42,000 miles the oil light started coming on and it started consuming oil like crazy. I took it to Honda dealer and was told this was normal ? My mother in law has an 97 Accord with 200,000 miles on it that doesn't need any oil added that's why we decided to purchase an Accord. After going through tons of oil I decided I had enough and contacted Honda and was told I need to take the car to the Honda dealer and have oil consumption tests done that I had to pay for. They told me it was consuming normal amounts of oil according to their standards. I then found my daughter's friend had the same year and model car as me and was experiencing the same problems and again called Honda and firmly told them they would fix this issue or I would not put any more oil in and they would be replacing the motor since I had the extended warranty. I was then told to take the car to the Honda dealer and they would replace the motor with a used engine with 12,000 miles on it. Upon picking the car up the Honda dealer tried to charge me $350 for the repair which I refused to pay for and they said they would write off. The car now has 104,000 miles on it and right after our motor was replaced I received an extended warranty on the motor from Honda due to the oil consumption ( but there's no problem right) and now my starter just went . I have had nothing but problems with this car and won't be buying Honda again!

- , Fayette City, US

Sep 212014

Accord LX 3.2L

To whom it may concern,

I have noticed that my 2008 Honda Accord (VN 1HGCP26328A156599) has been consuming plenty of oil. After reading about the millions of complaints I decided to ask how can I get my car fixed by the local dealer. Two of my friends, personal and mechanics at the Honda dealer have said I should contact the Corporate Company and ask for the recall issue.

I have also followed the instructions from the site (http://www.hondaproblems.com/trends/excessive-oil-consumption/).

I hope this letter will help me with my favorite auto company.

If you have any questions, please contact me at 516.643.8596 or via email lowangarcia@hotmail.com. Best, Lowan Garcia

- , Hempstead, US

Feb 272017

Accord EX-L 4

My car is consuming way too much oil. It's not even making it to the 3000 mile oil change. i just had my oil changed 3 weeks ago and it has already drunk up 2 and a half quarts of oil. Took it to my mechanic yesterday and he said it was completely dry. This is the 3rd time this has happened since I have had the vehicle. This is really annoying. My mechanic says the problem exist because of the way the engine was built in my 2008 Honda Accord EX-L. I have a 4 cylinder vehicle so it doesn't fall under the settled lawsuit with American Honda. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem would greatly be appreciated. Of course the car is out of warranty so I need low cost options to fix this problem or I am looking into getting rid of the car ASAP. I have only had this car a year. I did buy it used and I'm starting to believe this is why the previous owner got rid of this car.

- , Concord, US

Feb 222017

Accord EXL 3.2L V6

Bought this EXL last year for my wife, nice car, nice condition. 2 oil changes and checked oil yesterday, dipstick bone dry! Add a little from quart, little more, little more, little more...2nd quart yada yada yada...2 quarts to get to full! 2001 Impala - I call Crapala because it's my beater, but doesn't burn A DROP of oil at 137k, my 2002 which I fanatically maintain like my Crapala even though the body is rough, does not burn a drop of oil and could almost pass for new. I am restoring my 1971 Plymouth 'Cuda with a 440 6 pack engine, that I drove hard, for years...guess what, no oil consumption.

I rebuilt the engine with crank bearings, rings, cam springs and heads, but that was to de-tune it for better driveability. But this Honda thing has me pissed, 1-2 shift in the auto trans is odd, heard what I thought was a heat shield vibration but haven't crawled under there yet with the cold, but wonder if it could've been the 2 quarts of oil! Will have to drive it and see...called American Honda and gave them the vin and they told me I'm not included in the problem! Now what, pound sand?

- , Massapequa Park, US

Jan 012015

Accord LS V6

Like many others, you can't go a normal 3k miles between oil changes without adding 3+ qts of oil. If you don't keep a sharp eye on it, the engine could be compromised due to low oil. In addition, no Low Oil light comes on .... absolutely ridiculous and embarrassing that Honda thinks this is OK when the standard these days is 7K-8K miles between oils changes with no loss of oil level.

I will never buy Honda again.

- , Tualatin, US