Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

Sep 172019

Accord

Recenly purchaced this 09accord ex coupe automatic 5speed 4 cylinder from a used dealership with no warrenty. 3 or 4 days lateri noticed a brief but loud rattle from the engine compartment only on cold start up. I have researched this and there are thousands of posts on this issue and I definetly can be a very serious safty issue if the engine becomes damaged whild driving with this issue with the vtc actuator. I shouldnt have to pay for this repair as there is a tsb on the issue that clearly stares it as a defect.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 032017

Accord

The engine won┐T start the starter motor sounds like it is spinning faster than normal, but the engine does not start up and run.

- Weaverville, NC, USA

Sep 122018

Accord

Power train:automatic transmission:control module (tcm, PCM) & car stall and engine is shuddering now. Honda will not honor the recall based on a VIN #, my car is doing what it states in the recall. So I guess I'm on the hook for a trans repair / replace.

- Easton, PA, USA

May 282018

Accord

Each time when I start up my car, my car stalls and makes my check engine light come on. Its been happening alot since I got the car in July.

- Macon, GA, USA

Jan 012011

Accord

"6 speed manual transmission will not shift into 3rd gear" when accelerating at a slow to moderate pace, the transmission will not enter 3rd gear when shifting from 2nd gear. The problem occurs randomly and is therefore a danger to everyone on the road. Honda 3rd gear tsb on 6 speed manual transmissions did not resolve the issue. For a thorough description of this issue as described by another please visit: Https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=5V_J9ct2jrq

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 282017

Accord

Leaking seal on passenger half axle bearing after only 29.2K miles. Car bought as certified in 2014, only 9K miles driven since purchase. Part is defective. Vehicle inspected for routine 30K service, no way this part failed in the 9K miles I have driven the car. Bearing burn out can cause axel to fail. Failure indicated on service order summary attached.

- Madison, NJ, USA

Jul 212017

Accord

Excessive oil consumption, causing spark plug malfunction

- Moody, AL, USA

Jul 132017

Accord

The vtc actuator on my Honda Accord has been making a rattling sound during an engine cold startup for over a year now. After calling the customer service line they stated that it was not under a recall and that this problem would not cause any damage or reliability issues. However, the sound has been getting worse and the other day, while driving, my wife lost all power in the middle of the road; this is an extremely unsafe situation. After taking it to the service department at the dealership they said the problem is associated with the vtc actuator and we will need to replace this actuator with a redesigned actuator at a cost of $1600(including suggested part changes while the work is being done). The cost is not important to me, it is the safety aspect of the situation that's troublesome. If a redesigned actuator exists shouldn't customers at least be aware of this and the implications of not changing this part?

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Nov 112016

Accord

When raining car will not come out of turn. Steering gets stuck in direction of turn. Gear shift goes from drive to neutral without pressing button took car to dealer and they state problem cannot be duplicated.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 192016

Accord

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. When the vehicle was started, a rattling noise emerged from the engine compartment. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that there was transmission failure. The dealer confirmed the diagnosis. The contact stated that the failure occurred for the last two years and was getting worse. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81,153.

- Highlands, CA, USA

Nov 012015

Accord

The car makes metal grinding noise when start the engine in the morning or when the engine is cool down. The noise last about 1 to 2 seconds but it's very loud. Mechanics insisted it's okay to drive. It's happened for a few months now and I am just afraid that something will be break very soon.

- Corona, CA, USA

Feb 232015

Accord

This was the second incident, while I was stopped at the red light, as the light turned green I let go of brake and applied the gas and suddenly the RPM went to almost red line and I was real lucky to be able to put the gear shifter in to neutral and pull over and turned the engine off, few minutes later started the engine and it was normal again, this was the second time in a month that this happened first time I didn't even apply any gas my foot was still on the brake pedal, I will be calling american Honda to report this also and will take my car to the dealer, but they said this problem is not going to show on the scanners, the service advisor told me that he has heard about this, but has not seen one in person, I told him to do a google search and he can see this problem with Honda's all over the internet. This is known as unintended acceleration that forced Toyota to recall their calls and now is Honda's turn to do the right thing before anyone dies.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Sep 182014

Accord

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. While driving 55 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. In addition, the vehicle accelerated and decelerated independently without engaging the accelerator pedal. The contact sustained bruises to the right hand and left arm. The contact did not seek medical attention. The contact mentioned that the vehicle moved after being shifted into park and the engine warning indicator was illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- New Windsor, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Accord 4-cyl

Upon accelerating from a stop, the car has no power making it unsafe to move out of the way of approaching traffic. There is a considerable amount of hesitation between shifting gears until the vehicle reaches a level driving speed. There is a hard downshift when slowing the vehicle to a stop or even just decreasing the speed. There is a significant amount engine noise during acceleration until the transmission changes gears. Driving up a hill from a stop or slow roll causes the vehicle to barely respond and the rpms reach very high levels before the gears change and acceleration is achieved.

- Union Church, MS, USA

Mar 172014

Accord 4-cyl

While pulling into parking space, with foot on the brake pedal, the vehicle violently lunged forward into a block wall. The driver was unable to stop the vehicle by applying the brakes. The driver was hospitalized for 2 days.

- Danville, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Accord

There was a grinding sound on a cold startup for approximately 1 second. I took it to the dealership about a year ago and they fixed the problem at no cost. Even after they fixed the problem the sound still existed but wasn't as loud. I recently took the car back to the Honda dealership and they wanted to charge me over $500 for the same problem and claimed that they fixed a different problem last time. They said the issue had to do with the vtc actuator. Now the problem has become a lot worse and the sound is very loud.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Oct 182013

Accord 6-cyl

Engine light and vsa warning light came on while driving on the freeway. Luckily my family reached our destination shortly after this occurred in fontana, ca. While the vehicle was in motion it would jerk and hesitate backwards while driving. I took it to rock Honda the following morning on 10/18/2013 in fontana, ca and they charged me $638.60 stating the vehicle needed a PCM updated software and adjusted valves. In doing further research it seems I should have never been charged this as there is a recall id #74308 stating issues with the PCM and tcm and that Honda would update the control module software free of charge.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Oct 022012

Accord 4-cyl

My car uses 1 qt oil weekly and makes a grinding noise when starting. Change oil every 7,000 miles and have to add 1 quart weekly. Vsa & oil lights stay on even after clearing the error codes. Replaced the cam shaft sensor which malfunctioned weeks later. Pearson Honda & West broad Honda, richmond va informed me there is no recall for this problem. Unbelievable after reading so many blogs about this issue from other Honda owners. This model Honda is a lemon and Honda needs to repair at no charge to the owner. Replaced wheel bearing on front and now the rear is making a loud noise. Never had a Honda with these many issues. Wanted to trade it for the 2013 and dealer offered me $6,700 for a car I paid $26,000 for. This is ridiculous!

- New Canton, VA, USA

Dec 152012

Accord 6-cyl

I went to independence Honda and asked as to why between maintenance, I was having to add oil. I was told to bring it back when it was needed, and he would document it. Come to find out, they were doing an oil consumption test. Independence Honda closed and is now legends Honda. He told me to bring it in and they would fix it. Gave me a loaner car. Called me back and said they would have to do a oil consumption test. They claim they only put in about a quart per 1000 miles. Regardless of what my dip stick shows. I will just need to watch my oil. I've had to have my spark plugs replaced twice in the year. Honda continues to actively conceal the defect from consumers and deny there's a known problem.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Jan 012012

Accord 4-cyl

My 2009 Honda Accord has a grinding noise that occurs when the ignition is activated from a cold start. The noise lasts for approximately two seconds and sounds like the timing belt system is ratcheting into place. This only occurs on a cold start, meaning the engine has not been running for 4 or more hours. I have had this problem for over a year. An internet search located Honda service bulletin 09-010 dated 08/17/10 and then updated on 10/21/11. The safety bulletin describes the variable valve timing control (vtc) actuator as being, "defective". additional internet search identified that the grinding noise was common with the 2009 Accord. I spoke with my dealer, huge white Honda, columbus, Ohio. The dealership agreed with my diagnosis and noted that Honda was aware of the problem, but had not issued a recall on the vtc actuator. Further, the dealer noted that Honda issued a 2011 software update on the 2009 Accord to address complaints of excessive oil consumption. A September 2011 notice from Honda is titled "product update: Software update to improve fuel-injector and vtc timing" the notice states that the fuel injector timing and vtc timing at cold start may create deposits on the oil control rings that could contribute to increased oil consumption." The dealership confirmed that my car had the software update. The dealer argues that the update is separate from the current grinding noise and that the vtc actuator has failed. The dealership could not explain why my grinding noise appears to have started after the 2011 software update was completed. Based on the foregoing, I am forwarding this complaint. I believe there is some evidence to indicate the vtc actuator is defective as being not suited for its intended purpose.

- Grove City, OH, USA