7.5

Most common solutions:

2. Honda replacing engine (11 reports)
  3. pistons and rings replaced (8 reports)
  4. replace engine or take car back (7 reports)
  5. rebuilt engine (2 reports)
  6. replace ignition coil (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Honda Accord:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Dec 012016

Accord LX 4 cyl

My 2010 Honda accord is burning oil. The oil will be so low that it does not register when tested using the dipstick after about 1200 miles. Yet, no light turns on to indicate an issue. The car begins to make a grinding noise when the oil is low. I've been advised to use high mileage oil and to get my oil changed every 3000 miles instead of the recommended 5000. I have taken these actions without resolution.

- , Morrisville, PA, US

May 022017

Accord EXL V6 Navigation V6

This car is still under the 8 year, 120,000 mile warranty I purchased on 9/17/09. Honda changed the oil and started an oil consumption test every 1,000 miles. As of 8/28/17, tests showed usage of 1/4 qt., 1/2 qt, 1/2 qt., and 1/2 qt. I have asked for the permanent repair a couple of times, but the dealership insists that the oil usage is normal even though there is no prior history that this car has used oil. All service/repairs were made by the dealership, and records do not mention oil consumption. I appealed to McConnel Honda's service manager and opened a case with Honda America. Both the service manager and Honda America representative insist that there is NOT a repair needed. The service manager told me that usage of up to 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles is expected and normal. Further, he said that the owners manual stated that oil needed to be added. I referred to my owners manual and found no such reference. I asked for the pages referenced and a copy of Honda's official oil consumption policy. Neither request was honored.

Kim and Steven at Honda America corroborated the message that oiled consumption of up to 1 quart per thousand miles was normal. When I asked Kim for a written policy regarding this statement, she said that Honda's policy was NOT a written one. She closed my case because she considered the inquiry over. My research tells me that the fix has to do with piston rings--most likely an engine rebuild, Honda is cheating me by not honoring the warranty I purchased from them. I get that cars have problems. It's Honda's responsibility to fix the problem when a warranty was purchased. Sigh....

On another note, I have a friend who has a 2009 EXL V-6 Honda with about 150,000 miles. She does not have oil consumption issues.

- , Wetumpka, US

Mar 202017

Accord LX 4 Cillendar

My 2010 Honda Accord is burning excessive oil. At 44,298 miles the engine oil light came on and the oil dip stick showed barely any oil (just the tip of the dipstick). I took it to the dealership and they made me pay for an oil change with them and said it is normal to burn 1quart of oil per 1000 miles. They started an oil consumption test and when I got home and checked, they had overfilled the oil, way beyond the dipsticks fill line.

- , Portage, MI, USA

Sep 062017

Accord ES 1.9L 4 cyl

I'm reporting this particular incident, oil a quart low with 50% oil life indicated on dash, however, it has occurred several times in the past. It seems the engine consumes oil faster than the usage indicator monitors oil life. I feel that this offers a false sense of security to the owner. I change oil well before the oil life cage expires but have been adding a quart at 50% oil life for some time now. If a person did only watch the oil monitor on the dash, she might up ruining the engine.

- , Belle Vernon, US

Jul 012016

Accord LX-P 2.4L

My car needs an oil change after driving, city commute only, 1500 miles!! I believe this is ABSOLUTELY ridiculous and Honda needs to do something about this! I received a letter from Honda America saying that the Piston Rings need to be changed due to high oil consumption. My vehicle needs this and it isn't qualified. Instead of burning all oil at 1,000 miles, how isn't 1,500 miles close enough?! I've about HAD it with Honda and I'll never consider or recommend Honda to anyone!

- , Omaha, US

May 042017

Accord EX-L 2.4L V4

The only solution they've offered is to do an oil consumption test. I've been adding anywhere between 1/2 quart to whole quart of oil per week. Waiting for the issue to be resolved.

- , Silver Spring, US

Jun 012017

Accord LX 4cly

A CLASS Action lawsuit needs to be started for this problem.

- , Trenton, US

Oct 102014

Accord V4

This car began using a lot of oil the first few months I owned it. It is only a four cylinder so I don't see it in the lawsuit info. But I went back to Honda dealer several times. They have done oil consumption check repeatedly only to say it is okay that the amount of oil is not a problem. Even when the dipstick showed no oil more than once at the dealer and even when the oil light was on. Truly ridiculous. Honda corporation suggested more than once that Stockton Honda or Tracy Honda do the repairs needed, yet both dealers refuse to do the work and say the oil consumption is okay.

- , Stockton, US

May 012015

Accord EXL V6

Found there was next to nothing for oil at last two oil changes on my 2010 Accord. Have to keep adding oil, due to excessive oil consumption. When I first mentioned to Honda dealership they started to allude to the fact that this was a known problem but the manager just said I would get nowhere complaining to Honda about it because they would even end up saying that if you don't check your oil at every fill up then you don't have a leg to stand on. Thanks for the help, guy! I took it to a mechanic friend and he did some research and found that this is a known problem with certain Hondas. H suggested switching from synthetic to regular oil and he found no leaks and checked the PCV valve too and found it to be ok. We did what Honda suggested - a hot oil flush. Just want to get rid of this car now and am disillusioned with Honda now.

- , Gibbons, AB, Canada

May 012017

Accord EX-L V6

They (Honda) dealership says a quart of oil consumed every 1000 miles "normal." Say what. Upgraded PCM, changed plugs. Say it's fixed. What crap.

- , Tiverton, RI, US

May 012017

Accord ES V6

vehicle with only 80,000 miles has burned 5 quarts of oil in 6,000 miles.

- , Midlothian, US

Apr 292017

Accord LX 4 cyl

Engine light came on then starting flashing. Manual said to get car to a dealer right away. Engine was running on 2 cylinders. Dealer said I ran out of oil

Update from May 7, 2017: Dealer was very quick to assess the problem. Received transportation for 3 days while car was under repair.

They had to replace the cylinders. Obviously this was not the first time Honda has serviced a car beyond the normal warranty period.

Very good service

- , Elizabethtown, ON, Canada

Apr 012017

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

Does anyone else have an issue with the 4 cylinder engine burning oil quickly? I have seen that there is a problem that was identified with the V6 models, but I burn through about 3 quarts between oil changes.

- , Glen Mills, US

Sep 012014

Accord LX 2.4L

The car had been burning through oil in a short amount of time for a couple years now. My cylinder is bad and my car can't drive and the dealership has been giving me the run around when this should be covered by the warranty. And they haven't come up with what the problem is and want to do everything to have me pay for something that isn't the heart of the problem.

- , Elmsford, US

Aug 022016

Accord EX-L V6

I looked up Honda's excessive oil consumption problems and found out that after a 2013 trial, Honda America settled a class action lawsuit, agreeing to extend the powertrain warranty on models including "the 2010 Honda Accord," for eight years from the time of purchase or lease with no mileage limits. The settlement covers 2010 Honda Accords with six-cylinder engines.

I called Baron Honda to schedule an appointment to remediate the problem, but they said that my V6 2010 Honda Accord was not covered. I feel like they were only looking up recalls and not necessarily the applicable settlement agreement.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem?

- , Holtsville, NY, USA

May 102016

Accord 4door Sedan 2.4L 4 cyl

Bought the car on 29 Feb 2016 used with 60,234kms on it. Drove for two months put approx 6000 kms on it and had to add 2 L of oil. Crazy! Here is some more info I have been keeping track of:

Oil Consumption

2010 Accord EX-L Silver 4 Dr Sedan VIN 1HGCP2F80AA802420 Tire size P225/50R/17

Purchased 29 Feb 2016 Mileage at time of sale - 60,243 kms

Purchased from: From Celebrity Automotive Group Limited 5791 Prince of Wales Drive Manotick, ON K4M 1A5 (613) 489-1212

1. May 16 - 2 liters added. 2. First scheduled oil change 70,185 kms 5W20 - full synthetic

Regular city and highway driving. Then Trip to NB, PEI, HALIFAX, Cape Breton, return to Ottawa, approx 3,500kms. Depart Ottawa Sun 17 Jul 16. Drive to Fredericton, NB, then to Cavendish, PEI, then to Moncton, NB, then to Halifax, NS.

3. 23 Jul 16 - 2 liters added, New Glasgow, NS 4. 28 Jul 16 - 2 liters added, St Jean-Port Joli, QC 5. 1 Aug 16 - 1/2 liter added. Ottawa, 77,503 kms 6. 15 Aug 16 - 1/2 liter added. Ottawa, 78679 kms. Oil life is 50% remaining, looking very dirty.

Since Feb 29, 2016 Distance driven has been 18,479 kms and the car has consumed 8 liters of full synthetic oil.

17 Aug 16 - 78,778 kms. Oil consumption test done, starting with a hot oil flush, new oil, new filter. Oil pan nut was notched, oil filter was notched to ensure no altering takes place in position. Return to Dow Honda after approx 3000kms or approx 81,778kms showing on odometer.

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

Mar 232016

Accord EX V6

Excessive oil consumption. I have a 2010 Honda Accord V6. I notified Honda that I am having to put in between 2-5 quarts of oil between oil changes. I am the original owner of the car, the car started having this problem at around 65,000 miles. It became worse once it hit 100,000. The car's check engine light turned on, I took it to the mechanic and he showed me the oil dipstick, it was completely dry, NO OIL! . I live in Florida so I use it mainly on flat roads at average speeds. Honda has a technical bulletin out tsb #11-033 which says all Honda Accords need a software update to help mitigate the problem. Honda refuses to install this update on my car, they say my car's VIN is not covered as part of this update. They say that it is normal to burn 1-3 quarts of oil between oil changes and I should continue to put oil in the car.

- , Pompano Beach, FL, US

Apr 012016

Accord 4 cyl

I have noticed that every time I check the oil it appears to be down at least a Quart or more. I just changed the oil and within a 3 week period it was down close to a quart of oil.

- , Irwin, US

Sep 242016

Accord EXL V6

Once again this 2010 Honda Accord EXL put me down. It is, by far, the most unreliable car I have ever owned. It was purchased new in 2010. I've had it in the shop 3 times in the last year due to some type "oil" problem. It has 46,000 miles on it. Yes, only 46,000 miles. This time, I stopped at a red light and as I attempted to give it gas to go (green light) I had no power whatsoever. I limped to the side (after crossing a busy intersection). The engine light was on. This is the second time this has happened to me. I took it to a reputable Honda repair shop and was told I was at least 2 quarts low on oil (it didn't even register on the dipstick). I just had the oil changed!! They performed an oil change and said the light went off. I decided that it was too dangerous to drive with such unexpected loss of power. So, I took it to the Honda Dealer (where I bought the car). Meanwhile, I'm looking online to see about what could be causing this problem REPEATEDLY. That's when I found the SILENT Class Action Settlement on 2010 Honda Accord's. The complaints that I see on this website are identical to what is happening to me. So, I have nothing to look forward to but more trouble. When I talked to the Honda Dealer Rep--I was told that I couldn't prove the car was at a minimum 2 quarts low of oil. They would not take anything into account for previous work that was done on the car (I had paperwork). the work "had to be done by a Honda Dealer". I was told the people that changed the oil "must have spilled some and got it on the exhaust pipe". The Rep said that these Accords have a built in safety device to disable the car when it is low of oil. When I questioned why the low oil indicator light didn't come on first--I was told that it has to be really low of oil for the indicator light to come on. REALLY! Is this guy for real????? The car will become disabled BEFORE the low oil light indicator comes on! Yes, he was for real. I can't even wrap my brain around that statement. Anyway, He checks my car out, deems the oil change was all that was needed and everything was good. Nothing showed up on the diagnostic check. The car was not consuming oil--but had no rational explanation WHY I was 2 quarts low! Soooo, I pick up my car (after reassurance that all was fine). Within 4 miles, of leaving the dealership, my engine light comes on again. I pull over and stress for a minute. I decide to drive my car back to the dealership--praying that it won't become disabled. I left my car there (the shop was closed). This morning I talk to the same guy that told me yesterday that everything was "good to go". He says he put it on the diagnostic machine and the error showed "rocker arm oil pressure switches" are faulty. No explanation why it showed this error after driving approximately 4 miles. Now, the cost is another $500 to fix this problem. The problems that I am CONSISTENTLY having around oil pressure and loss of power is SIGNIFICANTLY related to the Honda class action suit. But, because the error did not show a misfire--it is not covered under that extended warranty. Even though I can prove that I had the oil changed the day before, because the dealership didn't change the oil--they will not consider doing an oil consumption test on the car. THEY have to change the oil. Get that money every way you can Honda Dealer!!!! So today, I am having my oil changed for a second time (within 24 hours) and will have to bring my car to the dealer every 500 miles for them to do an oil consumption test. After reading the complaints on here, for the same problem, I seriously doubt that they will admit that it is consuming oil. My car is consuming oil--not leaking oil. It is caused sludge build up, gunk, you name it -to get on the other parts and then they malfunction........These repairs could go on for years. I'm screwed!!! Never again will I entertain buying another Honda. This dealership KNOWS that these problems are related to the excess oil consumption problem but refuses to do right by its customers. I hope they go bankrupt!!!!

- , Millington, TN, USA

Mar 132017

Accord LX 4L V6

I reported that our company's 2010 Honda Accord was using excessive oil. They had me complete a 3000 Mile oil consumption test that revealed the car is consuming over a quart of oil every 3000 miles. They said that level of oil consumption is "normal." However, I've never had a normally working car that consumed oil.

Last year, the car started "missing" at the end of a long trip and the Check Engine light came on. I took the car into a (non-dealer) repair shop the next day and they said that Cylinder 3 was fouled. The replaced the plugs and some other ignition components and sent me on my way. I mentioned that repair to the dealership and was told that since they didn't have the Check Engine code, that the event didn't qualify me to have the engine repaired.

On my way to the office today the car started "missing" again and generally riding rough and the Check Engine light lit up. I reached the office and called the dealership to have it towed in for repair. We'll see what the Check Engine code looks like this time. It's been only 2060 miles since I completed the 3000 mile oil consumption test. Honda needs to fix this problem. Otherwise the car is in really nice condition.

- , Ocean Springs, US