Most common solutions:

1. replaced the starter (50 reports)
  3. dealer replaced the starter (14 reports)
  4. replace starter (4 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda Accord:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Feb 122018

Accord EXL 3.5L V6

I just started having what appears to be a starter problem on my 2013 Accord V6 at 55k miles (keyless) a few weeks ago. First, my battery went out almost two years after purchase, so thankfully the dealership replaced it under the warranty. Unfortunately since then, I have had to replace the rear calipers already and now having problems starting my car.

I went to the dealership and my car wouldn't turn on for them either so they mentioned it was a starter problem. I asked the dealership how much it would be to fix and they said approx $775 for part and labor. I went to Advance Auto Parts to confirm the problem and they ran a machine that indicated that the starter may not putting out enough voltage to start the car.

For a new car, this is way too many things going wrong so early in the game. People buy new cars to not deal with these type of headaches so soon after purchasing. My Toyota had less problems the first 5 years and it was already 15 years old than this car.

- Miguel R., Paterson, US

Feb 272018

Accord EX L 2.4L4

Saw lots of post about the 2013 Honda Accord starters having issues. I am like most people where I have rarely had starter issues. However, I did have to replace the starter in my 2006 Odyssey van this year, but that was 11 years old and twice the mileage, which is a little more understandable.

Update from Mar 14, 2018: I had the starter replaced and it solved the problem. The new starter was considered a remanufactured one but was told it was new because they didn’t have enough cores yet to truly remanufacture them. Cost was $525 installed. :(

- Tommy H., Greenville, SC, US

Feb 012018

Accord Sport 2.4L 4

• CVT transmission

2013 Honda Accord Sport 56k mi. Starter began to not crank engine on first try. I Googled Accord starter problem and found Car Complaints. I quickly realized that the starter would soon fail completely. Went to eBay and found (Chinese) replacement for $91. I figured that if the original Honda (Mitsubishi) starter is a 56k.mi. POS, how much worse can a Chinese starter be?

Changed out starter myself (see Youtube). New Chinese starter works fine. Disassembled original starter, (see Youtube) the high-current copper contacts were fried, maybe 2/3 of the original copper thickness gone. Ordered Honda Brush Holder Assy. (Honda P/N 31210-5A2-A01) from Majestic Honda (in R.I.) online parts store (40% off list). for $26. Rebuilt original starter (Youtube video). Now, for about $120, The car is fixed (for hopefully another 56k.mi.) and I have a spare rebuilt starter in the trunk in case it starts acting up on a road trip. Almost any garage could replace it.

The final solution to this problem would probably be to internally jump the contacts inside the starter and add a heavy-duty solenoid switch in the engine compartment somewhere. The brushes in the original starter were not worn much, so they probably would not be a point of failure until very high mileage. OBVIOUSLY, this solution is probably beyond the capabilities of most do-it-yourselfers.

- davidwilson, Billerica, US

Labor costs: $350

- Db X., San Antonio, US

Dec 042017

Accord EX 2.4L

Bought this CPO from a well known Honda dealer in Metro Atlanta. Car ran perfect with no issues for a year until I reached 45K miles and one day the car won't start. Took it to the dealership where they told me I needed a new battery with 110 months warranty or something like that. After $94 I got my car back and was all happy. In the meantime Honda had me return to the dealership for a recall regarding the battery sensor that shorts and was probably the root cause of my battery replacement. Logged a request with Honda but of course they denied any link between faulty sensor and dead battery. Fair enough, but then at 54K miles, I started having the same symptoms I had on my 1998 toyota avalon @ 230K miles; car will only start after 3 to 6 tries. On my Avalon, all I did was to pull the starter, replace the solenoids ( copper plates) and problem solved. It cost me $25 from NAPA.

Now if what my Honda is pretty much having the same starter issue, dealer is asking for $700 to replace the starter on 5 years old car that has 56K miles now? My 20 years old toyota lasted 230K miles before the starter went out! How come my Honda accord which is supposed to be reliable needs a starter @ less than 60K miles???? Judging by the number of complaints about the starter, this is clearly a defect on this particular year and model. Honda needs to do something about it and do a recall, otherwise I won't buy Honda anymore.

- jstacks, Duluth, ga, US

Dec 152017

Accord Sport

It is really annoying that I purchased a Honda Accord under the assumption that it is a reliable vehicle and it is already having issues. It is a 2013 with 60,000 miles and my starter is a going out. Fixing the starter will cost me as much as a monthly car payment that I am still making payments on. I previously owned a Nissan Altima and I don't think I ever changed the starter I sold it with 180,000 miles and Honda is supposed to be better? It is frustrating because Honda can care less, they just make as much money off of you as they can because dummies like me think their stupid cars are reliable. DON'T BUY A HONDA unless you like throwing money away.

- Serge D., San, US

Dec 262017

Accord LX 2.4L

So, only 4 years in and 28,000 miles driven and the starter completely failed. Wow, why did I buy Honda again? For the brand's amazing reliability? Oh, I forgot to mention: I had to replace the battery about 1 month ago. Yep, 4 years and done. Even better, the tires needed to be replaced. Granted, we live on Kauai which is unusually hard on tires but 28,000 miles? Back to the starter. The dealer quoted us $1,000. Yep, King Auto in Lihue wanted $700 for the part and $300 for labor which is highway robbery. Or, Island Robbery by a King. Replacing by purchasing via eBay and a local mechanic friend. I completely gave up on Chevy after a Pontiac lemon purchase back in 1996. This will be the final straw for Honda. The quality has deteriorated. I would rank Toyota and Hyundai as significantly better than Honda.

- rkozcpa@yahoo.com, Lihue, US

Nov 012017

Accord EXL

My 2013 Honda Accord EXL Coupe was the third Honda that I had purchased. My family mostly drives Hondas due to their reliability. This may be my last as this is the third main complaint that I have had. This car only has 38,000 miles and I purchased it brand new with only 8 miles on it. My most recent complaint is the starter failure. I started noticing that my car would not start up (push button start) right away like it always has. I had to try starting it once or twice but it always started so no biggie. Last week it hesitated while on my lunch break. Once it started up (after 20 mins of trying), I drove to the Honda Dealership's service shop to inform them. I was told that it probably was the battery sensor recall (that I was never notified about) and that they would correct that problem at no cost to me. I said ok great and they took care of the recall. Three days later, my car would not start. After trying for an hour (which caused me to be late for wk), it finally started so I drove it straight back to the Honda dealership and informed the service advisor who helped me the week before. He suggested that I leave it there to check it out and two hours later, I was told that the starter is bad and needs replacing. I asked if this had anything to do with the battery sensor recall and he said no. The starter would run me $866.38 out the door which I said was ridiculous for a vehicle which only had 38,000 miles and well taken care of. I took my car to a well-known starter and generator repair shop and he estimated $445. I am disappointed in Honda. It makes me very skeptical on buying another as this is the third repeated (separate) incident that I have had with this particular Honda. (1st) Lower side panel on driver's seat keeps popping off. Had replaced at least 5 times. (2nd) I have had to replace battery 4 times. This last time I had to pay for it because it was past the warranty period but of course that has nothing to do with the battery sensor recall. Honda's are not made like they use to be.....

- Pat L., Waco, US

Nov 012017

Accord ES 3.2L

So glad that I happened to find this forum. My 2013 Honda Accord has been acting strange for a little over a month. Turn the ignition...nothing ...turn it again.. it cranks. Seeing this forum, there is OBVIOUSLY a problem with the starter on this model, which is disgusting that Honda won't issue a recall. My car has 50,000 miles and this SHOULD NOT be an issue, having to replace the starter, and pay for it out of pocket. I had a Toyota Camry before I purchased this car, and it had 120,000 miles, and I never had an issue. This has definitely left a bad taste in my mouth toward Honda, which I bought because I thought they were reliable. I guess I should go shell out 500-900 dollars for a starter, before I am left stranded on the side of the road... Grr.

- Lindsey M., Albertville, US

Nov 022017

Accord Sport 4 cyl

About two weeks ago I began having trouble starting car....first turn of key---no response. Then second turn, it started. The other day, it just would not start at all. Had to have it towed from my house to dealer. I had recently done the battery recall, but dealer confirmed it was starter and replaced it. He said he is seeing this repair a lot, which leads me to believe this is a defective part that Honda should reimburse for, as it is prematurely failing. I am very disappointed...I bought Honda for its reliability.

Update from Nov 7, 2017: I called Honda Customer Service at 1-800-999-1009 on 11/06/17 to complain. They said they do not have any complaints about the starter failure. I can't believe that. So, if you had this problem...CALL THEM!

- Toni C., Novelty, US

Sep 122017

Accord EX 2.4L

• CVT transmission

2013 Accord with 64K starter failed. Got in to expenses over $750, battery replacement , calling dealer, diagnostic, getting fixed etc. What a pain! with a new car. I had Toyota Camry before never a problem until 250K. This piece of sh*t started with heavy oil consumption, starter and what not.

NOT BUYING THIS BRAND ANYMORE. Please review the posts before buying piece of......

- pateln, Laurel, MD, USA

Oct 142017

Accord Sport 4L

Less than 4 years after I bought a 2013 Honda Accord sport and just over 45k miles, I was having issues with the car turning over. I'd engage, the dash would light up, but nothing would happen. It started as it would take only 2-3 tries, but quickly turned to the last day before taking it in, took a few minutes to get it to turn.

The person at the Honda dealership I took the car to said she's seen this a lot in the 4 cylinder Accords, and she wasn't surprised. That was concerning on a 4 year old car. I'll say the Honda dealerships are always great and they don't build the cars.

Unfortunately this is going to put a bad taste in my mouth about Honda. The first car I drove 10 years ago was a '93 Honda Accord, and the first car I purchased after college was going to be an Accord, no questions asked because of that experience. Up to this point the car has been great, but I can't get over dropping $800+

to replace a starter after 45k miles. Probably stepping away from Honda after this one......

- Bill G., Hilliard, US

Aug 012017

Accord EX-L V4

I filed a complaint with National Highway Traffic Safety Board. The number is 888-327-4236. You need to call them to get the ball rolling for the recalls to be administered on these Honda Accords. I also e-mailed the CEO and other Senior management. And I called the headquarters in Torrance, California. That number is 310-783-3000. Please feel free to send e-mails to the CEO and other top management. This is highway robbery and ridiculous. The emails are as follows: Toshiaki_Mikoshiba@ahm.honda.com; Jeff_Conrad@ahm.honda.com; and Ana_Brown@ahm.honda.com Toshiaki is the CEO. Voice your concerns people.

- crctnhou, Houston, US

Feb 012017

Accord EX-L V6

Like everyone else on here I'm pretty annoyed I had to pay almost $500 for a new starter after not even 60k miles. Never had an issue with my previous honda or acura with this little mileage. It also bothers me that this occurred basically right after my warranty expired. Honda should do the right thing by their customers, most of whom have been very loyal, and issue a recall or reimburse us.

- Colin M., Mount Sinai, US

Sep 012017

Accord Touring V6

About 2 months ago a screeching noise sounded when I pushed the start button. It was the same noise as when you turn the ignition key on an engine that is running already. Waited a few seconds and the car started. This kept happening about once every 2 weeks. It was not that worrying. After reading (on this site) that others had a failed starter I called the dealer. At this point it was happening once a week. In all cases, just waiting a few seconds resulted in a successful start.

If I did not have the extended warranty, this repair would not have been covered. For a 4.5 year old car, with only 106K kms, a failed starter makes no sense. Especially for a Honda. This repair was several hours of tech time, plus additional time to remove one bolt that would not come off and the new starter/parts.

My gripe is that Honda would not have covered this repair without the extended warranty. A starter should last longer than 5 years.

Problem is solved. Since I am keeping my car, I am now curious to see how long the new starter will last as my extended warranty will expire soon.

- jrpratte, D.D.O., Quebec, Canada

Aug 272017

Accord LX 3.2L

I have had the same issues with my stater as everyone else. The car would start only after turning the key a couple of times. Finally it stopped working all together. I took it to the dealership and they claimed it was the recall on the battery sensor. So they fixed it and the car worked great. When I was at the river 2 weeks later the car wouldn't start. I had to get it towed from WA to OR. The dealership diagnosed the problem to be the starter. I didn't believe them so I had a second diagnosis which also showed the problem to be the starter. That was almost $400 just for the diagnosis. American Honda said that my car was out of warranty at 30,000 miles and that they were unaware of the situation being an issue for other customers. So now I have to replace it which costs no less then $900 at any repair shop. I am very disappointed. My family has owned Honda vehicles since their beginnings. We have a whole fleet of Hondas. I have yet to change the starter on my '06 Accord that has over 200,000 miles on it. I will NEVER buy a Honda again and I will make sure they pay the price on this one. Class Action Lawsuit anyone??

- Dakota M., Tigard, US

May 022017

Accord EX V6

- Mukund A., Newington, US

Aug 262017

Accord EX-L V4

My car started dying on me starting the week of August 21st and I'd stop for second to pick to up something at a store and then go back in and try to start my car and it would not start. I waited 30 minutes to an hour and then it would barely start. This happened several times during the week and each time this stupid car would attempt to start but it wouldn't fully engage. That week I actually got a recall in the mail for this stupid sensor on the Honda battery that was causing issues, so I thought it could be covered with this.

I schedule an apt with the dealer that Saturday and the test the car telling me that my battery is bad and I need a new starter.

Now I am going to remind you that Honda just sent out a recall for this sensor that's causing batteries to fail, but they still won't replace the battery under warranty.

I end up having to pay for everything out of pocket and the dealer fixes the recall only temporarily because they said Honda hasn't released the part to replace this malfunction on the battery.

This car sucks and I won't to trade it in ASAP. The reason I had to fix it was because I work a full time job and I am a full time student who needs her car for transportation.

- aidreana, Fountain Valley, US

Jul 032017

Accord LX V6

I'm having the same issue as everyone else with a 2013 Honda Accord. It will start on first try and other days it will take three or four times to start the car. I paid too much for the Honda Accord to have these types of issues when the car is less than 3 years old. Honda should stand behind their vehicles and fix this problem and reimburse its consumers. I drove a Toyota Camry for 27 years and I'm going back to Toyota.

- Ernestine B., Plano, US

Aug 022017

Accord LX 2.4L

• CVT transmission

I started getting the "Turn, 1 click and No Turnover" on the first try about a 2 weeks ago. and its getting serious. Thinking to replace the starter.

- Akli F., San Antonio, US