7.3

Most common solutions:

2. replace oil ring pistons (3 reports)
  3. money refunded or car replaced (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda Accord:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Oct 022017

Accord Sport 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Last night I was driving home and my oil pressure light blinked when I braked. I went home and check the engine oil and dipstick came out bone dry. I added the 3 quarts of oil to get oil level close to max line, and I serviced my car just 4.5 k miles ago, oil life reading 40% and and no oil in my engine. I am taking car to my dealer this weekend for oil consumption check up.

- , Schaumburg, US

Sep 122017

Accord

purchased car from honda used lot in santa monica. november 2016, had oil change done at dealer may 2017. approx. september 10 the oil light blinked on (did not stay lit). the next day blinked again, briefly. was the weekend and due to work, i took car in sept 12th....service technician pulled dipstick and announced "there's no oil on dipstick". the dealer did an oil change (keep in mind, only 2,672 miles since previous oil change). i was charged for an oil change ($45) and was spared the $145 charge they said was for "problem diagnosis". they gave no explanation for oil loss, asked me to do "oil consumption test" which merely involved checking the oil when i filled with gas. they asked that i return in 1000 miles.

after all this i found on the internet the problem described and the lawsuit etc.

i was told i may have damaged my engine by the service tech but given no option for diagnosis but was told it "should be covered on warranty".

I feel that they knew of this issue with their engines and tap danced around it leaving me with a big unknown.

- , Los, US

Apr 012017

Accord EXL

After 60,000 miles the 2013 Accord started using oil every 1,000 miles. The longer it goes before oil change the more excessive oil consumption seems to be noticed. At the last scheduled oil change the engine only had 1 quart of oil left. Since then it is using about a quart/1,000 miles.

Waiting to hear by end of week what Honda plans to do to fix the problem.

Have purchased Honda's for many years without ever having an issue with oil consumption.

- , Battlefield, US

Apr 012017

• CVT transmission

1/2 quart of oil burns up for 3,000 mile. I am worried about that it would get worst.

- , Northridge, US

May 272017

• CVT transmission

This excessive oil consumption didn't become a problem until after the car passed the 60,000 mile mark. It seems to be burning a quart of oil every 2,000 miles.

- , Tomball, TX, US

Jul 082017

• CVT transmission

After putting 1,000 miles on the car since the last oil change, I checked the oil level and found it was already 1/2 quart low. This agrees with my previous observation that it is burning a full quart every 2,000 miles. I will continue making updates here.

- , Tomball, TX, US

Dec 302014

Accord LX 2.4L

I bought this 2013 Honda Accord 2.4L with 36,000 miles at the end of 2014. I noticed that after the first oil change, I had to add oil because the dip showed it was low in between changes. I follow the oil percentage to change the oil. I usually change it when it reaches between 10 and 15 percent. I use the recommended oil and filters. I decided to track how much oil it consumes and have noticed it burns about a quart when it reaches 70 percent. By the time it's due for an oil change, I had to add already at least 2 quarts prior to the regular change. There are no leaks at all and the engine seems to be working normal.

I also own a 2003 Honda Civic, and I never had this issue with oil changes. I am very worried the Honda Accord will not last long due to the oil going to the combustion chamber. I would appreciate any advice/help with this issue. I will post an update with either video or pictures. Thanks again.

- , Elko, US

Jun 252017

Accord LX 2.4L-Liter 4-cyl

Bought car new. Noticed car consumed oil during the very 1st oil & filter change at roughly 8,000 miles, oil life at 15%, down about 1.25 quarts. Not bad considering new engine break-in and 8,000 miles on odometer. Over time and oil & filter changes at 8000-9000 intervals with 15% oil life still left noticed more and more oil being used (burned) by the engine. I'm at the point now where the car is using 1.5 quarts every 2,400 miles! Car has 80,300 miles on it at this time. NOT HAPPY. Honda considers this "normal" from what I'm reading on-line.

I also own 2 Toyota Tacomas, one has 138,000 miles- burns NO oil at 3,000 miles oil changes, the other Tacoma 66,000 miles burns NO oil at 5,000 mile interval changes using full synthetic. Sold a Toyota Rav 4 with 189,000 miles never used ANY oil. One of my Tacomas had the frame replaced by my dealer free of charge and free rental while the frame was being replaced, took 3 months. My other Tacoma is also up for FREE frame replacement. HAPPY.

Going to contact Honda dealer shortly and inform them of the oil burning issue and see what they are going to do about it.

I did purchase the extended warranty on the vehicle so the engine is still covered.

- , Dalton, PA, US

Nov 302016

Accord EX 2.6L

I cannot believe that Honda says that 1 qt every 1000 miles is normal. this is total BS. we need another class action law suit for 2013 Accord,

- , Menlo Park, US

Mar 012017

Accord EX-L V4

• CVT transmission

2013 Honda Accord EX-L. Wife first reported engine oil light flickered. I checked the oil level and dip stick was dry. Added oil and took it to Honda for a oil change. Some miles later fickler of oil light was again reported, checked the dip stick and again was dry. Took to Honda for oil consummation test. I checked at 2247 miles and 80% oil life it is down the the lower mark on the dip stick. Took it back to Honda to complete the oil test, Honda says this is normal, I could tell by the Honda reps face expression that he did not believe what he was telling me.

- , Clifton, VA, US

Jul 172016

Accord EX 2.4L

Bought the car used with 27K miles, noticed it was consuming oil shortly after around 32K miles. Brought to dealer since I suspected a leak, they found none. It consumes oil at the rate of 1 quart every 4,00 miles. They offered to do an oil consumption test but I knew that they wouldn't do anything unless it was 1qt every 1,000 miles so I declined.

Oil consumption is not unique to Honda. Many manufacturers have had this problem. One I can think of is 8th generation Corollas (98-02). You pretty much have two options: 1) Check and add oil as necessary, or 2) get rid of the car.

Lastly, this is why people should be checking their oil a LOT more often than they do! Check it at every fuel up or every 500 miles at least! I still love my car despite this. It is annoying to have to buy 2 extra quarts of oil to keep in my trunk though on such a new vehicle.

- , San Jose, CA, US

Oct 292016

Accord EX 2.6L

This 2013 Honda Accord has excessive oil consumption. It consumes 1 quart every 1000 miles and the dealer says that Honda says it is normal. I don't believe this is normal and Honda should repair it under the power train warranty.

- , Menlo Park, US

Dec 152016

Accord EX 4 cyl

I bought a 2013 4cyl. Honda Accord in October of 2015. I began to hear a noise that I had not heard before. Had the oil changed and air filter, noise gone. Heard it again at 50% oil life. Checked oil dipstick was dry. I added 2 quarts and noise is gone. I love the Accord, but I do not want to add 2-3 quarts of oil between oil changes.

- , Independence, MO, US

Dec 012016

Accord

• CVT transmission

My car is only 3 years old, not even near being paid off. The car is consuming oil. Honda dealer said it is consuming oil based on a consumption test we did, but they don't know how to fix it. They had this in earlier models and know how to fix it but now it is showing up on 2013 models and they don't have a fix, we were told "just continue to check your oil and add oil when it is low". This is totally unacceptable for "car of the year".

- , Lancaster, PA, US

Mar 132017

Accord LX 2.4L 4 cyl

On July 31, 2013, I bought 2 new Honda Accord's for my son and me. It was my dream car for retirement and my first time to buy a Honda for my personal use. Last week, my son told me that he started to see the oil light signal go on and off a couple of times. He changed his oil two months ago. The first thing that came to his mind to start with was to check the oil level. It was a shocking discovery that the oil is completely dry. We checked if there was a leak, but there was no leak at all. Then it came to my mind to check my Honda Accord oil level, even though there's no oil light signal. When I was at Walmart, I took my Honda Accord to the TLE service, and they found out another shocking, disappointing news, that there was not even one drop of oil left. They even asked me to sign a document, stating the condition of my Honda Accord from the time I brought it to them. I don't know where to start to solve this big problem. Please, I need advice. I can't afford another car in my retirement age.

- , Fallbrook, US

Feb 232017

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

The dashboard oil light flashed on momentarily after braking suddenly, so I checked the oil level when I got home. I was shocked - the dip stick was bone dry! I added two quarts of oil, and the dip stick level came up to halfway between the two dots. So, in the span of approximately 10K miles of driving since my last oil change, I had lost about 2.5 quarts of engine oil. There are no drips on my driveway, so where the heck did all that oil go?

- , Seattle, US

Feb 112017

Accord EX V6

My husband starting doing my oil changes. We then realized that he was only draining around 3 quarts of oil each time. We are adding 4.5 quarts each oil change.

- , Rock Hill, SC, USA

Oct 222016

Accord EXL 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Low oil warning light was on briefly suddenly, oil life was about 15% and I checked dipstick, it was bone dry. Called dealer and was advised to tow the car in. They checked and found no oil leak sign and advised me to do an Oil Consumption Test, after 1000 mi, the oil level down about 1/8 quart, then a second 1000 mi, down to mid way of the dipstick range, about 1/2 qt oil lost in the 2nd 1000mi test. However, dealer said it is normal, which I don't agree. Hope Honda can solve this issue by recalling this product.

- , Wellesley, MA, USA

Jul 152016

Accord LX 4

• CVT transmission

Honda tells you replace the oil when 15% oil life, well initially did this and things were fine, then on my way to work one day the oil pressure light was flickering. Once I got to work, checked the oil dipstick and it was bone dry, added 4 quarts told the dealer and they asked me to bring it in which I did and they provided a free oil change, got the next change when it read 30 percent. Got my car inspected today, Oil life read 50% not quite 4,000 miles since my last oil change. Oil change not recommended. Drove home and on the way home the oil light flickered on. Got home turned it off, and on no light came on, then took it to a friend's place and we checked the oil, dip stick was bone dry. Went to Jiffy Lube and got 4.2 quarts of oil. This was approximately 3 hours after the service rep told me everything was perfect in the car. I did ask about the oil they said it was not recommended, especially with the oil life reading at 50 percent. Called them when I got home and told them, they said if it went on again to bring it back. Since it was bone dry when I checked the oil, the closest place was Jiffy Lube. Called the dealer after and they said they would put a comment in my file. Then I read about the oil consumption problems Honda Accords were experiencing. You would have thought that the Honda dealer would have told me about this potential hazard the first time this problem occurred. No, had to rad about it on the NET !! Thought I was going to stay with Honda forever, really like the car, now that I know there is a problem that I had to rad about on the NET, this will never be a forever car or a forever brand, extremely disappointed.

- , Norristown, PA, USA

Jan 222017

Accord LX 2.4L

I have 2013 Accord Lx , bought used at 40K miles, I got oil changed at 41K miles (Full synthetic 0w-20) Now i am at 47K and noticed from last few weeks that the oil pressure light in dash flashes once in a while (Mostly when i apply break on highways) and goes off quickly.

So i did some research and checked the oil level -

-in dash it says 20% Oil life remaining

-under the hood i found the dip stick was totally dry (cold check) , i didnt even start the car after i saw this.

I added almost 3.5-4 quarts of new oil and then checked the oil level in dipstick, looked ok. then i started the car , it was more noisy initially and then settled down to normal noise. also saw diesel like smoke coming out of the exhaust. Turned off off the engine about 3-4 minutes after letting it run now oil level looks perfect, but obviously color changed to dark brown versus the color of new oil which i just poured. So now i plan to go for oil change in couple days, and not gonna drive until then. Is this situation a normal (oil getting vanished /burned or leaked )? i dont think it leaked, also i never faced these issues with my 99 accord. Please suggest what should i do in this situation(Complaint Honda/should there be a recall ) and how to prevent any engine damage due to this.

- , Castro Valley, CA, USA