8.2

$740

Most common solutions:

1. replace starter (13 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Honda Accord:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

May 022018

Accord LX 2.4L V4

This has been an intermittent problem for about the last 30,000 miles. When I turn on the key, lights come on but nothing happens with the starter part. There is no sound, no clicking as it would with a low battery. Sometimes it seems like there is a faint "humming noise." It can go several times without an issue, then the first to three tries nothing happens. The issue has gotten progressively worse. Today, with wife, child, and dog in the car, I could not get it to start for 30 minutes after continual trying (40-50 tries). After calling AAA, about 15 minutes later it turned over. Each time I have asked mechanics and dealer, they say they do not know of any issues and that the problem has to be happening when I bring it in. One dealer said they did not have equipment to even check it out. This is not what one would expect from a Honda.

- Greg H., Dexter, ME, US

Apr 082018

Accord V6

The starter went out shortly after the warranty expired. Poor timing.

- reliablehuh, Lakewood, US

Feb 102018

Accord LX 2.4L

• CVT transmission

This is my first experience purchasing a Honda. We purchased two for our daughters after graduating from college. Then we purchased two more. So we have four 2014 Honda Accords (3) LX & (1) Sport. My 2014 started having issue back in Sept. of last year. The problem would occur occasionally then it got progressively worse to it finally put me down in my work parking lot. I would get in the car turn the ignition and it would click I would turn off and back on and it would click or start, this could go on and on up to 15 times. before it started.

- fdbbbjrfw, Greenville, US

Feb 092018

Accord LX

Push starter==just clicks. Nothing.

Get a ride home.

Go back 3 hours later--starts right up.

- Lori B., Baldwin, US

Sep 222017

Accord LX

For about a week, my car won't start quite right. I have to try to start once or twice before it'll actually start. Not sure why, doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I take my car to Honda on a Friday for an electrical connection recall that I got, and before the service was done, I asked, any chance this electrical connection has to do with the car starting wonky? They say no, no way. Ok, great. A couple hours go by, they call me, "your car won't start." I'm like, yeah you have to try it a couple times now, it's weird. They invite me to come down to try, and son of a gun, it really won't start. It's 4:30 in the afternoon, so I can't take my car to my regular mechanic that I actually trust, so I tell them, ok I guess figure it out. They come back, your starter is busted, you need a new one, it's gonna cost over $1000. I protest, this doesn't have anything to do with the recall, seems like it's in the same family. They say no. I let it go, they do the fix, my car works, whatever.

Less than three months later, I have another problem (which I posted in a separate complaint, but I'll repost here for completeness):

Pretty normal driving conditions, took a drive up to Pacific Grove for the Holidays. Day three in Pacific Grove my car won't start in a street parking spot. Got it jumped by Triple AAA, left it running for a while, turned it off, instantly wouldn't start. Take it to Honda, Honda's closed for the Holidays. Take it to Midas, they say my alternator is shot. I'm pissed, I just had my starter fixed a few months ago. So they do the work, put in a new alternator, they call me, the car's not ready. Why? The electrical system apparently broke the new alternator, so they need to get a second one. They find the open recall on it, a recall Honda's LA service center could take care of because they were too busy, and suggest I get that fixed before trying to do the alternator repair. I had to get back to LA for work, so I had to get a rental car, come back up, it was a whole thing. Ended up getting it all fixed, cost $1200 for the repair, a lot of extra time, and a car rental.

I called Honda to complain, their position was this is in no way related to the recall, they can't help, they won't help. Great. Not sure what else I can do.

- Stephen P., Los Angeles, US

Jan 082018

Accord EX V6

My car is UNRELIABLE only 3 year old, purchased new, and babied. The STARTER does not always work and makes an awful sound. Dealer ship said it is NOT covered but aware of the problem about $970 to fix.

It started at 2 1/2 years occasionally as of the last week on it's third birthday it is DAILY. The dealership said they can replace the starter but it does NOT always fix the problem.

How do we say LEMON. This is my 4th Honda accord off the lot and my LAST !!!!!!!!!

- tko, Bay City, US

Oct 162017

Accord 2.4L

Hi. The starter on a brand new 2014 Honda Accord went bad and completely died only after 34000 miles and a couple of months after warranty expired. It had to be replaced even though the car was well maintained and taken care of. I took the car for an oil change and brought it to the attention of the dealership and I was told it is normal, it's that time when things start going bad, she said !!!! I contacted the headquarters and kind of complained about it and with some help from a friend, we managed to have the dealership fix the starter at no cost to me.

- Rachid K., Virginia Beach, US

May 012016

Accord Sport 2.4L

Starter problems began at 40,000. Overall, this car has given me much more problems than just the starter.

- Daisy G., Fillmore, CA, USA

Nov 202017

Accord LX V4

I bought a 2014 Honda Accord at the end of 2013. By Nov 2017, 11 months outside the 3 year/36,000 miles warranty, the car just stopped starting. When I took it to the Honda dealership, they said the starter had failed and the average cost to replace it was $800. I had the battery sensor replaced just the previous week due to Honda recall. The most frustrating part about the whole thing is that I have only 33,000 miles on the car so the warranty should cover it!

Honda should offer a recall/reimburse the cost since the recall of the battery sensor shows that there are bigger problems starting the car.

- Monica V., Bothell, US

Oct 152017

Accord

I am a school teacher, and I was in the school parking lot when I realized that my car would not start. I had replaced the battery six months ago, so I knew that was probably not the problem. The school's resource officer came out to help me, and he was able to start my car the first try. One of my colleagues followed me to the local dealership, which I had just been there two weeks before for a "major" checkup.

I told one of the gentlemen at the customer service that I was having issues getting my car to start. He asked about the make and model, and he mentioned that the 2014 Honda Accord Sport cars were having major issues with the starter. He mentioned that they have been frequently changing starters on the Honda Accord Sport cars. I asked if the starter had been recalled. He told me that the starter would not be recalled because it is not a safety issue. He had one of his mechanics check the starter, and he said that it was fine when he tried it. He said that they started the car 40 times without any issues, so he said that he would check the battery.

A few minutes later, the gentleman said that the starter did fail when they went back to check on the battery. Of course, he came out with a quote of almost $800.00 to fix the starter. He said that one of his guys would rebuild one for me for $350.00, but it would not be under warranty. The gentleman said that I was one of the lucky ones because my starter did not cause any problems until I had more than 60,000 miles because they had just changed one on a car with 5,000 miles. He also mentioned that the tires on the Sports model would be needing replacing more than other models. I had the tires changed at 45,000 miles.

I told the guy that this was my first Honda, and it was my last Honda. I am so disappointed in this product, and I am disgusted with the lack of customer service.

- Britt A., Madison, US

Jun 102016

Accord Sport V4

Bought NEW Honda accord 2014 in late December 2013, that new care will be of less maintenance and more reliable.

The issue first started in June 2016 just 2.5 years old car and had 43000 miles on it very low mileage. in the beginning it was once in a while I have to give few starters. but than it started getting more frequent. contacted dealership and they said your battery needs replacement. replaced the new battery.

After FEW weeks again same starting problem. contacted the dealership and they said its your starter issue. Your starter has started going bad. And replacing the starter will cost around $800. and I am out of warranty 3yrs or 36000.

It is very awful that just 2.5 years old car with this low mileage have to spend $800 on repair on top of that replace the battery.

Honda is a good Car but if this kind of issue happens with new and low mileage cars they really need to do investigation. I Have filed a complaint with USA Honda but they are rejecting my complaint as it is out of warranty.

Very much not happy with Honda.

- Parag M., Bakresfield, US

Jul 012017

Accord EXL 2.4L

When you hit the start button, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and sometimes you have to wait a while for it to work. It has been a pain in our asses ever since. Finally, we found out the problem was with the starter. That means the starter in this model is defected and my old 98' Accord has 200,000 miles on it and still has its original starter and my 2014 Accord only has 37,000 miles and its starter is defected.

- emadco, West Covina, US

Jun 012017

Accord EX-L V6

engine start / stop push button fails start lots of noise This problem has been happening since last winter, fairly significant due to the prospect that one day it just won't start the engine at all, not to mention the embarrassing noise it makes every time it fails to star the engine.

Cant predict when is going to happen , is on and off it could happen 3-4 times on a roll in the same day , like today for example, and not happen for three days or even a week, and then pum , there you go again.

I've taken it to the dealer and of course is not covered and they wanted an arm a leg and a kidney to check it, which i did anyways, and no problem was found.

So im thinking is a manufacturer's defect.

Update from Oct 11, 2017: BY THE DEALERS SUGGESTION i REPLACED THE STARTER TO NO AVAIL. IGINITION STARTER SWITCH IS STILL FAULTY AND AS OF YESTERDAY AS PER PEP BOYS READING , MY BATTERY IS NOW WORKING AT 20% ONLY, FAILURE TO START THE ENGINE NOW INCREASED TO 40%

- roserene, Queens Village, US

Jan 142017

Accord Sport 2.4L

I haven't had my car for a full 3 years yet and the starter has already gone out. When I turn the key it will just click once and do nothing else. If I keep turning it maybe five or six times it will crank.The lights on the dash come on just fine. I even had the battery and alternator tested and both passed. Took it to the dealership and paid the $100 just for them to tell me it was the starter but would cost another $700 to fix, at least. I told them to start it back up so I could drive it home. There is now way I would put another Honda (Mitsubishi) starter in my car.

Well my turning 5 and six times to crank it has come to an end. Now it's just a pretty piece of metal sitting in my garage until I find a solution with better quality and a cheaper price. Honda should be fixing this for free.

- brion, Chesapeake, US

Nov 152016

Accord EX-L 2.4L 4 cyl

The car had problems with the starter beginning at 35,000 miles. Had to try and start multiple times. Because it is push button start, it's not the same as hearing your old key start trying to turn over or continuous clicking. It's just a single click, then push the button again. We did not know it was the starter until bringing the car in for an oil change at 45,000 miles - Honda said it was the starter and wanted $825 to replace! I found someone else to replace it for less, but I had to buy the starter online. Of course the starter came after the car would no longer start - it couldn't hold out a couple more days. Had to have the car towed.NO CAR STARTER should die at 45,000 miles. 60K is the absolute minimum.

- dwspiv, Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Oct 112016

Accord EXL V

Car has intermittent start problems.. It will run fine then one day it wont start on the 1st push of the button, I usually will get it started on the 2nd try, but once I had to get a jump (battery was new).... I am making another appointment to the dealership this week... I already know its not covered due to being past 36000 miles.. I will update once I find out if its the starter or the button itself

- Shona L., Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 132016

Accord EX-L V6

At about 65,000 miles my starter intermittently started acting up. Press the button and it just spins but doesn't engage. Normally, the second push of the button it starts but lately it takes three or four pushes of the start button. It is still random when it happens.

I talked to the dealership and they weren't familiar with the problem. I can replace the starter myself but they want $481 for the starter. I have searched all the aftermarket sites for the part and there isn't one available. I have found the starter on Hondazoneparts.com for $340.

This is cheaper but very frustrating having to replace a starter on a fairly new car. I have a 2002 Acura TL with 385,000 miles and I have never had to replace the starter.

- James H., Burlington, NC, USA

Aug 192016

Accord

My car had problem starting. Took it to dealer. Was told Honda accords are known to have defective starters. It is so bad that starters are on back order and they do not know when they can fix my car. I had to argue with them to get a loaner car for this known problem.

- Tami L., Irving, TX, USA

Jan 022016

Accord Sport 4 cyl

2014 Honda Accord Sport (not even 2 years old!), Starting/turning the ignition switch multiple times back and forth before it will start eventually. Sometimes it starts right away, sometimes it takes 2-10 times! I took the Honda to the Northampton LIA Honda dealership (which is the only place I take it to for service since I bought it) and they are stating it's a "starter issue" and that it's not covered because I am beyond the mileage warranty and that I would have to pay $495 for a new starter, plus $150 labor. The mileage is at 60K, however I'm pretty sure that means I'm actually driving the car but not 'starting it' excessively to cause the breakdown of the part. This is clearly a defect and this is not normal!! Someone else on another forum researched the life of an average starter and most of them are at 100k miles or 5 years. Defective parts need to be replaced FREE of charge.

- Joseph N., Belchertown, MA, USA

Oct 052015

Accord EXL V6

My 2014 Honda Accord EX-L V6 is having intermittent starter problem. It will start fine for a day or two, but then it fails to start. I have to wait for 10-15 mins to start it again otherwise it will not start. I took it to Braman Honda (Miami) where I bought it from and the service reps there are clueless. I am not a mechanic and I know when a starter fails, but they come up with the story that it could be different things and if they can't reproduce the problem the car is fine and I am the crazy dude. I dont even think they tested the starter.

I have been a Honda buyer since 1995. I had Civics and Accords, I had owned and leased a total of 5 Honda and I am very disappointed. I think I will lease a Chevy next time. At least Chevy has better mechanics and techs working for them.

- artifiz, Miami, FL, USA