Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda CR-V:

Jul 192005

The air conditioner unit has broken over and over. Iżve paid thousands of dollars repairing it. IżM disabled and get very ill in the heat. There was a recall but I was not told of it until I had too many miles on my car because I used to use my car for work as a social worker. But it starting breaking long before the miles were too high. It's defective. And breaking again. There are other issues such as the automatic windows and door locks. The passenger front window does not work at all. And the driver door lock does lock with the auto locks. And the key hole is broken. So every time I drive I have to lock the front door from the back seat and then use the auto lock. The driver visor has been broken for years. It just hangs. So I have to drive with it to the side. And it hangs lower than normal. Which is dangerous because it obstructs my view and I canżT use it to block out the sun. I took it in to the dealer and they were going to charge an outrageous amount just to look at it & determine the problem. Which is faulty design. Because these things have been broken for years. I havenżT driven much in the last 8 years since Iżve been permanently disabled. And these issues started long before that. I donżT remember the exact date I first got my ac fixed. But I believe it was in 2005. I can search my glove box for paperwork if needed.

- Bellflower, CA, USA

Oct 072017

While driving down the road at 6:30am this morning my low beams headlights went out. Not able to see I pulled over and put my CRV in part. I noticed that my light switch was still on but I did not have any lights. I pushed the light control forwards and noticed I did have use of my high beams. Luckily I was driving to work and only had about 5 more mile to go being Saturday on coming traffic was minimal. While at work I had time to research what the problem may possibly be that's when I stumbled upon a few recalls. Need my heads lights I went to autozone and bought a replacement switch but while plugging in the new switch I noticed that one of the connections was burnt. I.e. the recall in ?. I'm concerned that this is going to happen again so I would like to know the steps I need to take so that I can get this properly taken care of. While looking at this recall I found 3 more alarming recalls. Both air bags shooting out metal fragments and a driver side window switch that could possibly catch fire. I'll be parking outside just in case but any advice about how to get this fixed would be great. Being a 14 year old car I feel like I will have troubles with the dealerships I hope that's not the case the CRV is in very good condition and I would like to keep it that way.

- Worthington, OH, USA

May 242017

Automatic door locks malfunction. Locks do not respond to signal from keyf fob nor from actual door control buttons on door. The vehicle is sitting in a parked position. I believe the door lock actuator is faulty. I suspect it to be a known defect by Honda. Is there a recall for this problem? I have a 2004 Honda CR-V with the same problem.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Mar 282017

The contact owns a 2003 Honda CR-V. while reversing out of the driveway and depressing the driver side window switch, it failed to operate. In addition, the interior dome light failed to illuminate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 215,213.

- Fort Payne, AL, USA

Mar 142017

On Tuesday March 14, 2017 the car window motor started acting up, the window would go down on its own. As I started the car I started I began to smell smoke, it appeared to be coming from driver side door near the window. Upon turning the car off and removing the negative end to the battery the car began smoking more and in seconds the drivers door was up in flames. I had to run and grab a fire extinguisher from inside. The fire was put out however the door was completely destroyed, the car seat was burned as well as the steering wheel. The vehicle was luckily stationary, and the event occurred on my property where I was able to put the fire out without causing more extensive damage. I noticed online that there were previous recalls for Honda and the window switch causing a fire. There had been no previous issues with the window.

- Newtown, CT, USA

Jun 302016

CR-V 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda CR-V. after starting the vehicle, the contact noticed a burning odor from the front of the vehicle. The contact was unable to open the window. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 12V48600 (electrical system, visibility). The failure mileage was 99,793. Updated 09/08/16

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Feb 012015

All locks except driver door will not lock when using the keyless entry. They all stopped working at the same time. What is going on. Off course it is not under warranty or is it under warranty and they just don't tell you. Please advise. Vehicle was stationary

- Newark, DE, USA

Feb 142016

Low beams went out, then the battery burned up. Replaced bulbs and battery both worked fine for a week then headlights went out both low beams and high. Marker lights are flashing like strobe lights. The brakes are grabbing when you apply them. One side of the rear brakes wear out faster than the other side. The ABS and brake light come on until you turn on the fan or lights then they flash on and off.

- Stuart, VA, USA

Jul 152015

Both low beam headlights not working, both high beams still work. Replaced headlight lamps, low beams still not working. Found defect report online for same system failure. (NHTSA action number: EA11012 NHTSA recall campaign number: 12V136000) talked to Honda corporate and told that this vehicle was not covered by recall, even though it is the same issue.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Dec 042014

The contact owns a 2003 Honda CR-V. while in park, the vehicle failed to start. The contact independently replaced the battery twice; however, the failure recurred. The contact removed the remote starter per the dealer's instruction, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was unable to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 137,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA

Mar 012014

CR-V 4-cyl

Almost 100% of the time I use the remote to unlock and lock the 2003 Honda CR-V ex. When recently trying the key, it did not work in the driver's door lock. As a result of discovering this defect, I try the key occasionally for the purpose of seeing what happens in the driver's door lock. Other key/lock observations: 1. usually the key doesn't even go into the lock. 2. sometimes the key goes in the lock all the way, but won't turn either way. 3. occasionally the lock works perfectly, with no resistance or apparent problem, leading me to believe that this is a mechanical or electrical issue with the lock. 4. each of these sporadic issues happen with two other Honda-made "sidewinder" keys for the car, which are like new. (the main key is always used for the ignition and is worn therefrom.) 5. the other locks on the car (ignition, front passenger & 5th door) do not experience these problems. Honda service claims the locks pins have worn out. How can the lock pins wear out when they are barely used" if the pins have worn out, why does the key go all the way into the lock sometimes? and why does the lock work perfectly sometimes" this is a personal safety issue, as well as an issue regarding a basic function of the car. Despite service bulletin 03068 (NHTSA id numbers 10004794 and 10012644), Honda service insists that the consumer pay to have the part(s) fixed. This appears to be either a manufacturing or materials defect, or a mechanical or electrical issue which consumer couldn't cause, and for which the consumer should not have to bear the cost to fix.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Aug 192014

CR-V 4-cyl

Made loud grinding noise and A/C stopped working as I was on the freeway in grid lock traffic the car does not work and I can not bypass the ac ( this is not an opinion on this car ). so the ac in standard equipment. Honda of America settles a class action law suit for this car model. However they will not help me get my car up and running without me paying for a repair that is due to a bad design by they manufacturer. I can not afford to get it fixed and this is my only way to get to my doctor and work.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jul 152014

CR-V 4-cyl

Both rear doors stopped responding to the main lock at the drivers side from inside.they can only be unlocked manually from the inside of the car. The interior driver door lock when moved up or down manually only works on front two doors. Sometimes the key is sticking and not turning in the driver side door lock. Must try multiple times to finally get it to work. It's only a matter of time before the front door malfunctions as well.

- East Rutherford, NJ, USA

Mar 032014

CR-V 4-cyl

Both passenger rear doors stopped responding to the keyless remote. They can only be unlocked manually from the inside of the car. Driver door stopped responding shortly there after. Have to manually unlock/lock the door with the key. The interior driver door lock can not be moved up or down manually. Only the key can move the door lock. Now the key is sticking and not turning in the driver side door lock. Must try multiple times to finally get it to work. 3 out of 4 door locks are faulty and do not work properly. It's only a matter of time before the front passenger door malfunctions as well.

- Middletown, NY, USA

May 172014

The contact owns a 2003 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that the front passenger, rear passenger, and the rear driver's side power switch window failed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 12V486000 (electrical system, visibility). The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Massapequa, NY, USA

Apr 222014

CR-V 4-cyl

Driving kids to school in early morning both headlights simultaneously burned out at same time leaving only parking lights for illumination. Drove in dark back home. Later discovered high beams to be functional. Was searching online for fix and ran across many people who had same problem and complained of burnt wiring. I removed steering column cover and found no burnt wires at any connection. Checked bulbs and indeed they were both burned out. Seems odd both lights burned out at exactly the same time??

- Boise, ID, USA

Feb 172010

Lost low beam headlights on 2003 Honda CR-V. service bulletin 04-015 describes the exact issue for the Honda civic. I can visibly see the burnt combination light switch 16P connecter when I remove the steering wheel cover. This should be a recall. Very dangerous. There are numerous complaints about this issue with this vehicle on-line.

- Revere, MA, USA

Dec 092013

CR-V 4-cyl

The driver door lock will not operate via remote key-less control. All other locks work.

- Pioneer, CA, USA

Aug 012012

All power locks are failing. Only drivers side power lock now works, but that is beginning to fail also. Rear gate can only be unlocked with a key from the outside of the car.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Aug 302011

CR-V 4-cyl

While using the driver side master window switch I smelled an electrical burning smell. Earlier on the same day the right front window failed to move when I used the master switch to control it. The burning smell continued to worsen every time I used the master window switch. My mechanic tracked the problem to the master window switch and removed it. The master switch had melted and the mechanic stated that it could have caused an electrical fire had I continued to use it. Honda has since issued recalls on the master window switch for 2002-2006 Honda crvs, however mine was not included; Honda stated that the recall was VIN-specific and my vehicle was not included. The recall announced on Oct. 6, 2012 stated "over time, exposure to water and other fluids can cause electrical resistance in the switch, which ultimately can cause the switch to overheat and melt, damaging the switch and potentially damaging an associated wire harness. Additionally if a switch melts, it could produce smoke and potentially cause a fire, creating a risk to motor vehicle safety." This describes exactly what happened in my 2003 CRV, yet Honda has refused to include my vehicle stating that it does not qualify for the recall. On June 28, 2013 Honda announced an identical recall---this time for the master power window switch in the 2007-08 Honda fit. The description of the reason for this recall is identical to the one issued for the 2002-2006 crvs, and identical to the problem I experienced in my 2003 CRV. I would like the NHTSA to investigate these dangerous, recurring incidents in Honda vehicles and expand the recall of the crvs. My repair cost totaled $476 and I should be reimbursed that amount by Honda. More importantly, however, is this recurring safety hazard to Honda drivers. I have the master switch that was removed from my vehicle and am willing to provide it for inspection.

- Carmel, CA, USA