Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Honda CR-V:

Oct 242018

CR-V

My 2018 CR-V suffers from the dreaded [oil dilution issue] where gasoline gets into the oil raising the level above the full mark. The result is a strong gasoline smell, sometimes in the cabin but always when you pull the dipstick to check the oil. The oil level is always considerably higher than the full mark. I presented this issue to my dealer, and they confirmed the smell of gas in the oil, the high level and the fact that many 2017-18 CRV's suffer from this same issue. Their unacceptable solution was to change the oil and make longer trips to try to burn off the gasoline in the oil. They also said that Honda would be issuing a statement in the fall about fixing the issue. First a bit about the issue. There are many reports of CRV owners with this problem unexpectedly stalling and losing power while in motion. Some have suffered accidents. Does this sound like a vehicle you'd like to put your family in? also, diluted motor oil has to have long term damaging effects on the engine. I am very worried about the long term value of a car that was supposed to have great resale value - that's why I bought it. So Honda rolls out their "fix", and I notice that they're only going to address what they consider "cold weather states". they also plan to roll these "could weather state" fixes out over a multiple month schedule. Not acceptable at all. What about my car Honda. I would think that Honda would treat all of their customers the same and would want to fix as many afflicted vehicles as possible because of possible safety issues. Honda has a very loyal owner-base. I betcha how they handle this will affect people's decisions in the future. I know it will affect mine.

- Taylors, SC, USA

Nov 022018

CR-V

This vehicle gets a terrible smell of gasoline inside the vehicle, especially on initial start-up. This vehicle is unpleasant to drive do to this smell, especially in the winter with the climate control system on. My wife suffers from migraines and cannot ride in the vehicle. The problem was confirmed by my local Honda dealership, valley Honda, in Aurora il. No resolution was provided as they indicated the smell is tied to the well know oil-dilution problem with this 1.5 trbo engine, which they confirmed this vehicle also has (but for which no 'fix' has been issued in the U.S.) so now, not only am I damaging the new engine when driven, but also the occupant health by exposing them to gasoline fumes. This is just wrong on a new vehicle and needs a proactive recall asap.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Jul 182018

CR-V

Engine sounds - car is under 3,000 miles as of Nov. 2018. Purchased June 2018. Air conditioning did not work right after June 2018 purchase. Returned 3 times to get repaired and ever since this "repair) to fix the A/C, the engine has been very loud on acceleration from a full stop or to increase speed when at a low speed. Do not recall this loud engine at purchase. Loud engine sounds disappear at cruise. Had it to the dealer three times for this purpose and the dealer (salmon, repair department have stated, "nothing wrong, this is the way the new CRV turbo engines sound).

- Barrington, IL, USA

Oct 162018

CR-V

New vehicle checked oil approaching 4500 miles in preparation for first oil change. Oil was black, runny, smelled of gasoline on dipstick and over 1/2 inch above full mark on dipstick. Took car in to dealer service and they said must have been overfilled at factory. Replaced oil and filled to exactly 50% mark on dipstick and double checked. 3 weeks and 200 miles later, oil 1/8 -1/4 inch above full. Car sometimes runs rough when cold at idle or park. Called 2 dealers service departments and they said we know about this issue but no instructions for corrective action given from Honda in us. China and Japan announced safety recalls because of this issue. Winter is coming and concerned about cold weather reliability of motor.

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Aug 062018

CR-V

After driving my CRV less than 500 miles the oil level is above the full indicator line and has a strong smell of gasoline. I've changed the oil three times in just under 2000 miles and each time the oil level rises again. I've eliminated short trips allowing the engine to run at least 20 minutes at full temperature and that has done no good. I've followed Honda's suggestion to drive it in sport mode which also has done no good. This problem started immediately after purchase and has continued. I've called several Honda dealers and they offer no assistance other than offering an oil change at $69.99.

- Oregon City, OR, USA

Nov 062018

CR-V

I have been having issues with infotainment screen/system. The system freezes and sometimes goes black and won't respond to touches and or instructions. The car has been to the dealer several times with no permanent fix. Also, vehicle temperature remains cold. The car runs and drives for several hours and the temp stays cold with no heat in the cabin. Experiencing fuel mixing with oil and sometimes smell of fuel in the cabin is noticeable.high oil level is also present. Dealership and Honda na both informed me that I will need frequent oil changes until they find a permanent fix.

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Nov 012018

CR-V

I'm getting random fuel/oil smells into the cabin. I also noticed the engine oil dip stick is showing overfilled and the oil smells like gas.

- Waunakee, WI, USA

Nov 052018

CR-V

After 500km of driving, the oil level was over the top limit and there was strong gas smell coming out from under the hood. The car takes a lot time to warm up. Visited the sherwood park Honda dealer on Nov 5, 2018 for this problem, they found the oil level was 25mm above the limit. They discharged some of the oil without oil change. They found no recalls on this so they couldn't fix the problem but they consider this problem as minor and saying perhaps they filled more oil than necessary. I called Honda Canada twice on Nov 5, 2018 regarding the fix to this problem. The case number is 1150181. They said there will be an "update" addressing this problem from early November, but not sure whether my vehicle will be included into this "update". they provided the recall link for me to check periodically. Honda Canada mentioned during the phone call that if the problem like this found, sherwood Honda should call the technical line for suggestion. When asked whether they have called Honda Canada regarding suggestion of oil dilution problem, sherwood Honda said they have the call as what to do without consulting to Honda Canada.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 012018

CR-V

There is unburnt fuel in the crankcase causing severe exhaust fumes in side the passengers compartment. Any long ride in vehicle cause passengers to get nauseous and light headed.

- Williamstown, NY, USA

Oct 312018

CR-V

The contact owns a 2018 Honda CR-V. the contact stated that there was an abnormal fuel odor while the vehicle was being driven. The contact was concerned that when the dipstick was check, the oil level was above the high mark, the oil had a gasoline odor, and the oil was dirty. The vehicle was taken to Honda of murfreesboro (929 john R rice blvd, murfreesboro, tn 37129, (615) 896-3480) where the contact was informed that the odor was normal for vehicles with a turbocharged engine. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 8,697.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Oct 082018

CR-V

Read article regarding gas in oil issue. Checked my oil the next morning and found it to be overfilled with the dipstick smelling like gas. Called Honda - created a case and took car to dealer for a checkup. They did a complimentary oil change, said the dispstick smelled like exhaust and told me there should be a fix in November per Honda. Just read about the proposed fix and found that they are only doing this in cold weather states. I have hgad my car for 9 months and have less than 5000 miles on it. I only use it for short trips which is why I believe I may have this issue. Called Honda again today to see what they are going to do about people with this issue in Texas and was told that it is still under investigation. Thinking they need a push to do the right thing here (perhaps an official recall)?

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Sep 122018

CR-V

Engine oil is being deleted with gasoline in less than 2000 mies, which will cause engine damage over time. Had oil change, it had almost 1/2 inch extra fluid on the oil dip stick level and the oil smells like old gasoline

- Spring Lake, MI, USA

Oct 112018

CR-V

Repeated stalling and safety systems going haywire.

- Durham, NC, USA

Oct 302018

CR-V

We smell gasoline in the engine oil, which we discovered is a known problem with CR-V 1.5L turbo engines. The sales personnel did not own up to the known turbo problem when we asked about turbo engine reliability before we bought the vehicle. This defect ruins engine parts and could cause complete engine failure at high speeds, which may cause accidents with bodily injury.

- Macungie, PA, USA

Oct 292018

CR-V

Bought 2018 Honda CR-V exl only 2 weeks ago. It has 500 miles on it. I noticed a strong smell of gasoline coming from the engine. I found that the oil is over full and very diluted with gasoline. I worry this is a safety issue if the engine gets hot will the gas ignite. Is this going to cause excessive wear on the engine due to lack of lubrication? Honda needs to fix this issue. People are paying hard earned money for these vehicles.

- Show Low, AZ, USA

Oct 292018

CR-V

As others have complained about, a strong gasoline odor fills the cabin of the vehicle. I do not live in a very cold environment.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 282018

CR-V

Gasoline entering oil pan. After being informed of this problem by a well know publication, I checked the oil level on my car and found it elevated. After smelling the oil on the dipstick, I smelled gasoline in the oil.

- Shelby, AL, USA

Jun 022018

CR-V

On a city street, after slow acceleration after leaving a stop sign, with no cars in front of me, the collision avoidance system suddenly engaged and hard braked the car. Luckily no one was behind me or I fear I might have been rear-ended! also I am concerned that Honda has not acknowledged a problem with the earthdream turbo 1.5 engine causing gasoline to enter the oil. I live in Maryland, usa and Honda has done recalls in china and now Canada to address this issue as well as poor heating, but not in the usa. I am deeply concerned that this will cause engine damage in the future long after the warranty has expired and Honda will not accept liability! I am also concerned that there has been no recall to address problems with the gear shift lever. Many owners are reporting that the button you must push in to shift into or out of park will break without warning, preventing shifting gears.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Oct 302018

CR-V

Strong oder of gas, gas in oil. Oil level is high. When its below 40F it takes a very long time for the engine to warm to 180F, per my scan gauge 2. this is going to cause a safety problem when its snowing and I'm in stop and go traffic. The car will not warm enough to defrost front windshield

- Wyndmoor, PA, USA

Jan 032018

CR-V

I purchased my 2018 Honda CR-V ex-L in December of 2017. I noticed within a couple of weeks that the engine temperature gauge was extremely slow to climb, and oftentimes would "lose" temperature on colder days. I spent time testing the conditions when the temperature gauge would fluctuate so I would have additional information to provide the dealership. I would drive both stop-and-go, as well as on the highway for 15-30 minutes at a time to get the engine temperature normal, and then pull into a parking lot with the engine still running. After about 2-5 minutes, the engine temperature would start to drop, eventually dropping to 1-2 indicator marks on the gauge. I would also no longer have any heat at that point (the HVAC system would blow cold). I went through 2 separate dealers troubleshooting this issue. The dealership I purchased the car from had it in service the longest. After multiple days in the shop with no update, I felt they were not making any progress on the issue so I filed a complaint with Honda of America. They assigned the issue to one of their customer advocates to oversee this service issue with the car. I was told by Honda of America that the issue was referred to the regional manager of support for Honda in my area. After some additional time in service, I was told the issue was reviewed w/ Honda's technical / engineering team who deemed this as "normal". last month I came across multiple articles related to a gasoline oil dilution problem in 2017/2018 CR-V's, and a "side effect" of that problem being low engine temperature / loss of engine temperature. I checked the oil dipstick on the vehicle and noticed a very strong smell of gasoline.

- Portland, OR, USA