1.6

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Civic:

Jun 162012

Civic 4-cyl

The vehicle's automatic transmission suddenly slipped out of gear from drive into neural (disengaged and did not re-engage) without warning while traveling at highway speeds, and the accelerator would no longer deliver power from the engine to the rest of the power train. Because I was traveling downhill, I was able to coast off the main highway to a side road at the next intersection. After this initial failure, the vehicle would not shift back into gear at all (neither in drive or in reverse) unless the engine is turned off and allowed to cool. Once the engine is cooled off, the vehicle is able to shift back into gear, but only for brief periods of time (less than 5 minutes) before the transmission disengages once again, and whilst in gear, the engine struggles to deliver power.

- Minneola, FL, USA

May 252012

Civic 4-cyl

Automatic transmission failed abruptly while driving in traffic. Engine revved but car would not move. I was fortunate to be in the right lane at the time and to be able to pull over and push the car out of traffic to avoid an accident. Failure could have easily happened a few miles later on freeway or freeway on-ramp and could have resulted in a serious accident.

- Scotts Valley, CA, USA

Dec 222011

Civic

While driving on the highway at 60 mph, my car rapidly slowed down to 15mph. I was almost seriously injured due to the nature that there was cars behind me. On the road the car would not accelerate over 20 mph. There was plenty of revving once it hit 20mph. There was no warning lights to let me know there was something wrong with the car. The car always drove in great condition and all of a sudden a major failure of the transmission occurred without warning. And Honda seems not to acknowledge the problem.

- Hartford, CT, USA

Mar 202012

Civic 4-cyl

I was attempting to cross through a busy intersection when my transmission failed without warning leaving me stranded. I was in the middle of a very busy high speed intersection. Apparently this is a very common problem with this year vehicle. I am lucky I wasn't killed. My guess is it will take someone important getting killed before its addressed.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Feb 162012

Civic 4-cyl

One day when I was getting back from school, the car mad an abnormal sound while shifting. But then it was fine I got home no problem and the next time I got in the car to drive (2 days later), the car started but when I put it into drive it didn't move. My car is at 110,000 miles and it has been well maintained. I have had all my oil changes done one time and I can prove that. After doing some research I found out this is a common occurrence among these models.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Feb 112010

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph in snowy weather, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact had the vehicle towed to a local mechanic where the local mechanic suggested taking the vehicle to the dealer. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the transmission. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- San Rafael, CA, USA

Jan 262012

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph in inclement weather, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact had to push the vehicle to the side of the road where it was towed to a local mechanic. The mechanic advised the contact that the transmission would need replacing. The mechanic replaced the transmission. The failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was not available.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 182012

Civic 4-cyl

I was headed home from atlanta on I85 when my transmission started acting up. I was able to get home but it could have been really bad if it had completely stopped working. Interstate 85 is a very busy interstate. As I got closer to home the transmission would not engage and the engine would just rev. I just bought this car a week ago. It only has 123,900 miles on it. I also had a 2001 Civic that I had to rebuild the transmission in as well. I should have learned my lesson with Honda then!!

- Greer, SC, USA

Aug 012011

Civic 4-cyl

Shortly after purchasing, vehicle starting accelerating and driving sluggish. Vehicle A/T fluids serviced before recommended and still having poor acceleration/shifting, whining/ticking noise from A/T. replaced parts as indicated by mil codes just to have same codes appear after repairs. Finally researched problems and mil codes on the internet to find that 2002 Civics are notorious for throwing A/T codes and shifting problems. This vehicle is being driven by my teenage daughter and was purchased because it was supposed to be a safe, reliable vehicle. I have no choice but to let my daughter drive this car until we can fix the problem, and pray it does not leave her stranded in the middle of a busy highway without warning! I spent thousands of dollars purchasing this vehicle used, and it will now take a few thousand more (that I don't have!) to replace the automatic transmission. Honda motor Corp. Is aware of the transmission problems with this gen. Civic and won't recall, what a sin! shame on Honda! they just lost a loyal customer of 30 years and I will be sure to spread the word to family and friends on how dangerous this problem is, not to mention how costly.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Dec 272011

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph when the transmission began to slip gears unintendedly with hesitation. In addition, the engine exhibited an abnormal increase in rpms to 5,000. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who advised the contact that the torque converter was completely damaged. The contact planned to take the vehicle to an auto center who specializes in transmissions. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Apr 012009

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that when driving at any speed, the transmission would disengage without warning. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who informed the contact that the vehicle was exhibiting no pressure to the transmission and advised him to replace the transmission. The current mileage was 171,113 and the failure mileage was 130,000.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 212011

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while in idle mode, she would hear a loud noise. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they informed her that the intake shaft bearing failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was approximately 103,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 12/20/11

- Los Angelos, CA, USA

Jan 162008

Civic

Automatic transmission started slipping between 2 & 3 gear you have to lift off of the throttle to lower the RPM's so the trans will shift into 3rd gear, all the other shift points are fine. I believe there is a defect in this transmission are many complaints on online forum's about these transmissions. 2001 to 2005 Civic's.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 032011

Civic

The contact owns a 2002 Honda Civic LX. The contact stated that when starting the ignition, he was unable to fully maneuver the gears into any selected gear. In addition, the key would sometimes become stuck in the ignition. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they advised that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 88,500.

- Berkley, MA, USA

Dec 082010

Civic

My Honda 2002 Civic transmission died at 98,000 no warning stopped on a busy street almost got killed called police to help.

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

Sep 182010

Civic

The engine in my 2002 Honda Civic le stopped running... there was heavy traffic and this was definitely dangerous. The cause was transmission failure.... the car was towed to the local dealership and the price to retrieve it was over $5,900. The mileage was 100,505... too soon for this kind of problem and absurdly expensive. It is my only car, and I felt captive, for sure. Not a good report for Honda of America.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Aug 192010

Civic

I had my 2002 Honda Civic LX serviced within the last month. Oil changed, fluids checked. A few weeks later, the engine light went on and the drive button began blinking all in one day. After taking it back into the shop, I discovered that the transmission was going out. My vehicle only has 95,000 miles on it. So much for Honda "lasting forever"! I am still trying to figure out what to do with my car since I cannot afford to have a new or rebuilt transmission put in. I drive about 20-30 miles each day to work and I am afraid that the transmission is going to go out while I am on the highway or interstate. I wish that I would have found this website before I purchased my car 3 years ago because I never would have even considered buying it. Honda needs to recall the transmissions in the early 2000 Honda. Fix our problems!

- Mission, KS, USA

Jul 022010

Civic

My daughter bought this car a 2002 Honda Civic in Nov of 2009, this July while driving from North Carolina to Ohio the car just stopped going, the engine was running ok but the transmission wouldn't go. She was on a busy highway when this happened, she was lucky to get the car to coastr over to the side. I was reading on the internet where this is a common but the NHTSA has not recommended a recall cause of a safety factor. I think when there is any chance or an accident happening that should be cause enough for alarm.

- West Salem, OH, USA

Jul 282009

Civic

I have a 2002 Honda Civic. Upon driving in my neighborhood, I noticed that in the middle of driving, my car wouldn't accelerate anymore. Not a aware of how severe it really was, I kept going as it did accelerate a little and then I pulled over to the side road and thankfully I did, as my car wouldn't move and I was stuck with my two year son for an hour waiting for a tow truck. I went to courtesy Honda and they said I needed a new transmission. To my surprise with my car having only 150,000 miles on di I need a new transmission. If Honda knows about this, they should recall the transmission from 1999 to 2004. This is a safety issue and it should be addressed!

- Deltona, FL, USA

Apr 012006

Civic

Our Honda Civic 2002 also is having the same problem as described by others, in that the SRS light is on and for seemingly no reason (according to the mechanic). The mechanic reset the light, but it came back on within 2 weeks. I wouldn't care if there truly isn't anything wrong, like the mechanic states, however, in order for the car to pass state inspection, it can not be on. Thus, it will be costly for me to take it to the local Honda dealer which already has charged an arm and a leg for a transmission that had to be replaced after only having the car for less than 4 years. I was the one that pushed my husband buy a Honda for the reliability factor, but between the transmission and now the SRS issue that needs to be resolved, it's looking like my husbands 2000 Jeep Cherokee is fairing better in repairs than my Honda?? sad!!!!! very sad!!!

- Toms River, NJ, USA