Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Civic:

Sep 062019

Civic

After numerous visits to ocean Honda of burlingame to discuss that the car I purchased was never actually completely "properly certified" as was discussed; and the fact that I brought it in numerous times. - I have had no cooperation. Please verify with lisa mendez who just verified to sales mgr van that the car has been probelematic since purchase and should be traded out. I do not feel and have not felt I'm driving a completely safe or dependable car. Most recent visit to discuss issues was 09/06/19 and I had been there already 3 times within the previous 2 weeks for continuing issues with lights coming on after I had service and after I had asked if there was anything needed. I was told I was all good !!... now just spent $460 to find out that I need $1700 work and there are recalls I wasn't notified about. There is previous documented complaint I filed on this car a long while back. I have been trying to get them to take it back since I got it due to one thing or another. Just doesn't feel stable or secure. They should take it back and deal with it themselves. Initial complaint logged was due to a replaced seal of some sort that they broke and replaced again, I was driving and it started making a burning smell. They replaced again, but still seems not right and engine hazard lights come on -- and they clear them and tell me its ok.... does not feel ok, and was not ok. I am not waiting for an accident to happen however my numerous visits and pleas to exchange and take back the car have gone upon deaf ears and they (sales) have now become rude. I feel like dropping off the car to them and giving them the keys and they can deal with it however I'm so upset that I "must have a car" so I am trying to find a new car now and having no lock since my credit is ruined.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Apr 242019

Civic

The car overheated on the freeway with leaking coolant at about 138K miles. It was found that it is a cracked engine block near the waterpump. This is a know issue with the VIN number at Honda. We are just outside the 10 yr mark by 7 months (purchased used 1 wk outside of the 10 yr mark).

- Forest Lake, MN, USA

Dec 272018

Civic

Crack in engine block - driving on highway, came to stoplight and noticed steam coming from engine and overheated. Stopped to look under hood, smelled of coolant. Checked hoses, clamps, radiator.... everything looked fine. Bought a gallon of coolant, poured directly into radiator. It needed the whole gallon. It did not overheat after refilling coolant, but the next day the engine started rattling and running poorly. I could not drive over 50mph. I took to Honda dealer, they said it is crack in engine block, known problem with '06-'09 Honda but out of warranty, so they will not replace engine.

- Boyertown, PA, USA

Feb 202018

Civic

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact noticed a leak from the radiator. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was a crack in the engine. The independent mechanic referred the contact to 1st Honda of simi valley (2203 first St, simi valley, ca 93065, 805-433-9526) where it was diagnosed that there was an engine crack and stated that the vehicle was out of warranty. There was no warning indicator illuminated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the vehicle was out of warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 144,000.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

May 062014

Civic 4-cyl

2009 Honda Civic. Consumer writes in regards to engine block crack on vehicle. The consumer stated the vehicle should be repaired under warranty. Updated 10/24/2017

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Aug 202017

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. While driving, the vehicle suddenly shut off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the ignition switch, but the failure continued. The mechanic also diagnosed that the engine block was cracked and was leaking coolant. The vehicle was not repaired. The local dealer (Honda super store of lisle, illionis) and the manufacturer were notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 109,000. Updated 10/26/17 the consumer stated several cylinders were damaged as a result of the engine crack.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Aug 182017

Civic

Developed a cracked engine block, Honda service people showed the crack and told us to call Honda. Honda bulletin 10-048 listed extended warranty of 10 years for 2006-2009 Honda Civics. Spoke with a Honda representative initially who told us that repair would be covered. Honda dealership took a few days to look into the issue and told us we did not have the correct VIN number for the repair. Our Honda is the same make model and year of cars affected, has the same problem many many other Honda drivers have faced. Yet, our Honda will not be covered by the extended warranty. Frustrated owner that has corporate owners doing as little as possible to address big issues

- Canton, OH, USA

Apr 202017

Civic

Our 2009 Honda Civic si I purchased with my son began overheating on the highway on his way to work. We immediately took it to our regular mechanic & they thought it was a water pump issue, but upon further inspection discovered the engine block was cracked & leaking coolant. He also found for us, an american Honda service bulletin that says Honda Civics, years 2006-2009, are eligible for a new installed engine block at Honda's expense, if your VIN shows as eligible. We had it towed to brookdale Honda, our regular dealer & repair shop where we have purchased 5 vehicles. They too, thought it was the water pump so we had that repaired at a cost of $730. We picked it up on Saturday April 22, 2017, only to have the same issue that night again on the way home from work. Temperature was getting extremely hot, leaking coolant, & the engine was smelling. We brought it back to the dealer again on Monday April 24th, & it was not inspected until Tuesday April 25. My service advisor called & asked me what the problem was...I told him the same thing as before, temperature gauge getting very hot/leaking coolant/engine smelling. I mentioned that our mechanic said to look for an engine block leak in the same location as the cracked engine block shows in the 10-048 Honda extended warranty S.B. campaign picture shows. Sure enough, he looks there and calls me to say what I already knew. However the VIN number does not match the recall warranty so they said they can't help me with this $5500 repair. We still owe $10,500 on the vehicle & its now worthless or we drive an unsafe vehicle anyway & get stranded on the highway or in an accident because the car catches on fire from overheating. Vehicle was in motion when overheating/leaking coolant occurred. How can our vehicle be excluded when this is dangerous & still happening to Honda Civic owners all over with 10 yr warranty & they said no.

- Ramsey, MN, USA

Oct 122016

Civic

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the vehicle leaked water and caused the engine to overheat without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the failure was not covered under a recall. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Selma, AL, USA

Apr 122012

Civic 4-cyl

I brought a Honda Civic 2009 in 2012, April 12. The Honda was supposed to be sold with a power train warranty to bring car up to date for 36000 miles/3 yr. Honda did not offer an extended warranty for these purposes. They called a year later to see if we would then extend the vehicle to 120 miles. We had already purchased an additional warranty called assurance pay to paylink approx $112 mo. We were one payment to the last and Honda finally called, we purchased their warranty too. The car should have been automatic from the sale date. Door locks and ignition/cylinder work and other repairs such as break work have been performed on vehicle since. I am reporting unfair selling practices. Details and repair work will be submitted upon request. Thus vehicle safety issues upon purchase.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Feb 022011

Civic

Front right motor mount is broke, was vibration when you put it in reverse. Now it has a vibration all the time.

- Piedmont, AL, USA

Dec 092015

Civic

Interior center led brake light failed, right side engine mount failed, atomic blue paint on roof and edges of rear fenders around trunk faded and chalky.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 152015

Civic

Clear coat on paint failed after 3 years. Sun visors failed after 4 years and 35K miles. Motor mounts failed at 5 years and 42K miles.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Feb 202015

Civic

I was driving my 2009 manual Honda Civic with a 55K on it and the temp outside was -20 F, on the high way at about 75 mph, nothing was abnormal on my dashboard and the car was on the 5 th transmission the car suddenly stopped responding to my acceleration and the engine light blinked three times before my engine completely stopped, it was freezing outside and there was a froth bite warning. I parked safely on the side thanks god there were no much of a traffic on the high way otherwise it would have been disastrous. I checked my battery and nothing was wrong with it, so I checked my oil which I just changed 10 days ago, I found out that my oil checking stick is completely burnt and the remains was black. At this time I was sure that it something bad. I towed the car to the mechanic and arrived safely to my home. I checked online on my warranty and recalls or bulletins, I found out that Honda has this problem and I called the Honda customer service and they told me sorry your car is not covered under this bulletin, an unresponsible car manufacturer who produced an engine that fails in 5 years after 55K and doesn't claim responsibility, no comment!!!!!. as if safety is the last thing that matters for those companies, putting me and my family at risk and claiming no responsibly for their product.

- Novi, MI, USA

Dec 132014

Civic

Stopped at an stop light in town when vehicle RPM suddenly went to 5900 RPM and vehicle attempted to accelerate. Had foot on brake and was able to stop. Put vehicle in park but RPM stayed around 5900-6000. Turned off ignition and restarted. Vehicle drove normally. Took vehicle to dealer who could not find a problem. There are over 50 cases of this same behavior reported online, in all cases the dealer could not find a problem.

- Canton, GA, USA

Sep 222010

Civic

2009 Honda Civic 4 door sedan, bought brand new ? within the first 30,000 miles, the car began to have intermittent problems with starting in lower temperature weather (50 and below). Car engine will crank and fail to turn over if left in colder temperature for more than 12 hours, I have installed a new battery and the problem has persisted. Brought the car into the dealer and the starter, alternator, fuel pump, battery, everything was "fine." Problem continues to this day and Honda has never been able to answer why.

- Bartlett, IL, USA

Jun 172013

Civic 4-cyl

While driving a chatter started under the hood. Drove it to our mechanic (1 to 2 miles away) and he said the steel bolt broke that holds the belt tensioner to the aluminum engine. Had it fixed and the same thing happened on August 8, 2013 while driving. This time the car shut down completely and I was able to safely stop it and call for a tow. Took it to the mechanic again and he said upon talking to Honda dealers, this happened in 2006 and 2007 and there was a recall for this problem. There is no recall yet for this problem for a 2009 Honda Civic and no permanent fix. I am concerned that the car just quits while in motion, the power steering is gone and the brake assist is gone, which puts life at risk. Can this be looked into?

- Valencia, PA, USA

Sep 252012

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken in for a routine inspection to the dealer who informed her that the engine mount was broken and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included on any recalls and referred the contact back to the dealer for the repairs. The failure mileage was 69,000. Updated 10/24/12

- Boiling Springs , PA, USA

May 162012

Civic 4-cyl

My wife was driving a 2009 Honda Civic (purchased new all repairs/servicing since purchase made by the dealer at reading piazza Honda) with my 13 year old daughter on a 2 lane highway at approximately 8:45 pm may-16-2012, no other vehicles were on the road at the time in her front or rear view when suddenly she reported that the engine unexpectedly revved up to high RPM's, where she states that she lost the ability to steer the 2009 Honda Civic, she tried to apply the brakes as soon as she realized the steering control was not working, however; the brakes did not work either. Her vehicle careened to the left side of the road hitting the median divider then the car careened to the right hitting the guard rail at which point the side airbag deployed and the motor shut off. Thankfully they are both alive. My daughter stated that she felt someone was pushing the vehicle from behind suddenly. I am still looking for answers to this unexplained scenario my wife and daughter reported to me, the 2 lane road was devoid of any vehicles at that time and as she stated this to me, the engine revved high, she had no ability to steer and the brakes did not work when she applied them. I contacted american Honda and have asked them to help investigated what may have happened and am waiting to hear from them on what may have caused this in a 2009 Honda Civic.

- Sinking Spring, PA, USA