Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Civic:

May 232016

Civic 4-cyl

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V346000 (air bags). The part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. VIN tool confirms parts not available. Updated 09/20/16

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 272016

Civic

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the curtain air bag prematurely opened partially on the passenger side rear. The dealer was notified of the failure and the vehicle was to be inspected, diagnosed and repaired. The vehicle also was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V346000 (air bags). The failure mileage was not available.

- Scotia, NY, USA

Jul 062016

Civic

Takata recall I have spoken to Honda and they have no estimate for when the replacement passenger airbag parts will be available. The backorder is so large that they aren't even able to accommodate the order itself at this time. Their solution is to have nobody ride in the passenger seat until parts are available. For a family of four with only one car, this is not acceptable. They are putting us in danger and refusing to take full responsibility by trying to pass us off to the dealership.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jun 302016

Civic

Takata recall: Received conflicting messages from NHTSA and Honda. According to the NHTSA, there is a serious recall for my Civic, part is available for fixing and vehicle should not be driven until fixed. I called Honda, and they say okay to drive except no passenger in front seat and part will not be available until late summer/early fall. I need to know what to do at this point. Finally, Honda has never even contacted me about the recall. I called them when I read your article. Please advise about this.

- Mathews, AL, USA

Mar 092016

Civic

My Honda Civic was hit on the drivers side door by a Ford Ranger pickup truck. I was driving northbound on a city street in san luis obispo, ca and the truck was heading southbound and attempted to make a left hand turn across the lane that I was occupying when I was hit. The driver airbag in the truck deployed, but the side curtain airbag in my Civic did not deploy. I was injured by broken glass and impact of my left arm & shoulder against the driver door. The impact for was sufficient to bend both the A-pillar and B-pillar into the passenger compartment. I believe that the side curtain airbag in my Civic was defective. Note that a local Honda dealership offered to run a diagnostic test, but since the vehicle is drivable, and was towed to a car storage yard after the accident, the dealer was unable to inspect the vehicle.

- Orinda, CA, USA

Feb 052014

Civic

I have been waiting for letter from Honda for the airbag recall since my model car has been indicated that the air bag has recall but so far no letter has arrived ! I have been driving a dangerous car for over 2 years now

- Sudbury, MA, USA

May 062014

Civic

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. While driving approximately 70 mph, another vehicle crashed into the front passenger side of the contact's vehicle. The contact lost control of the vehicle and the other vehicle crashed into the contact's vehicle. The contact crashed into a median. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the lower back and received medical attention. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was towed to an unknown location. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 202015

Civic

Dashboard warning light intermittently appears, indicating the air bag system is not working.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Apr 272015

Civic

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. While driving at approximately 40 mph, another vehicle turned in front of the contact's vehicle without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into the front passenger side door of the other vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to an undisclosed location where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 147,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 292014

Civic

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. While driving various speeds, the air bag and battery warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Oct 212014

• 5,283,456 miles
Airbag defect.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Mar 172014

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact parked the vehicle and it accelerated on its own. The vehicle traveled approximately fourteen feet and crashed into a wall of a building. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained a fractured sternum and moderate bruising on the chest, shoulder, and foot. Medical attention was required and a police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 70,559.

- Danville , CA, USA

Jun 132014

Civic

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while traveling at an unknown speed, the driver crashed into another vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact stated that the seat belt failed to restrain the driver and as a result, the driver hit the roof of the vehicle. The driver was not injured. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 65,000. The VIN was not available.

- Alton, IL, USA

Feb 052012

Civic

I was hit on the passenger side of the car by an SUV. The repairs were with genuine Honda parts but ever since then the front controls where the radio is has been extremely hot. Almost to the point I think I burn my hands to change the radio station. I think it may be hot enough to start a fire with melting the controls in the back. I have been told there is nothing that can be done or it will cost me a lot of money to diagnose it. I just see it as a safety issue to have the dash so hot it burns people. The passenger airbag did not deploy in the crash and possibly should have.

- Cottage Grove , MN, USA

Apr 162013

Civic

Ran off road hit the median had 4 yr old son in car air bags did not deploy.

- Dover, DE, USA

Dec 162012

Civic

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle was crashed against a concrete divider. The contact stated that although the air bags deployed, they did not inflate. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 76,000.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Mar 132012

Civic

The contact owned a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the air bags did not deploy during a crash. The vehicle was impacted from the rear and was pushed forward into another vehicle. The vehicle was deemed destroyed from the crash. The contact and passenger suffered neck injuries. The failure and current mileages were 48,800. Sm.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Mar 082012

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact stated that while driving at 5 mph, the air bags deployed without being involved in a crash and without warning. The vehicle was then taken to an authorized dealer, where they were unable to diagnose a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 69,000 and the current mileage is 69,700...updated 04/26/12 the consumer checked the injured box. Updated 05/30/12

- Crownsville, MD, USA

Dec 072011

Civic 4-cyl

I was currently in an accident. I was driving my 2009 Honda Civic 2 door coupe. The accident accrued due to wet road conditions, which caused me to lose control and 360 on a highway and slam into an embankment and roll over 4 times. As I was injured thank god it was not life threatening, as it could of been. I was surprised after the accident that none of my air bags deployed. I do understand that there are sensors on the cars but every angle of the car had some type of impact, so, why only two air bags deployed on the passenger side front and back window when there was no one in the passenger seat. I was the only one in the car and of course I was the driver in the driver seat. My concern that someone in the future will not be as lucky as me and get seriously hurt due to a defect with the air bags and sensors. It makes me think about Honda and there cars and I could never get back in a Honda again cause next time I may not be so lucky. I am concerned for Honda drivers and wanted to make a complaint about the air bags that I believe to have a defect that needs to be corrected for the safety and well being of others out there on the road. I purchased a Honda Civic because it is know to be the safest car out there with its safety features, but after the accident I questioned that fact. So, I hope Honda will consider taking a look at this and correct the issue for the well being of other Honda drivers.

- Sicklerville, NJ, USA

Jul 042011

Civic 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Civic. The contact stated that the vehicle was occupied but idling when another vehicle crashed into the front passenger side. The side air bags did not deploy. The driver and passenger were severely injured and were transported to the hospital. The police were called and a report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an auto repair shop for repairs. The insurance company was contacted. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 16,000. Updated 11/29/11

- Tamarac, FL, USA