8.0

$750

Most common solutions:

2. A/C evac, recharge, replace line (1 reports)
  3. the compressor was replaced under warranty and now is cold (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Civic:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Sep 262018

Civic Touring 1.5t

• CVT transmission

A/C was not cooling on the drivers side. Noticed leak on compressor and lines after the compressor was replaced under warranty. Dealer confirmed leak on low pressure line. Honda advised it would not be covered outside of the warranty period. Paying out of pocket to fix the line and recharge the system. Arbitration is being filed against Honda as the repair was not competed properly under warranty.

- Steven S., Chambersburg, PA, USA

Jun 012018

Civic EX-T 1.4L T

• CVT transmission

We have a 2016 Civic EX-T that we bought brand new in Dec 16. The car has about 40,000 km on it now. The air conditioning stopped working before the start of summer and has not worked since. My wife has been trying to get the car fixed since then. First the dealer advised that there was no parts available and she would have to wait.

Then after about a month of calling back, the dealer advised the part was in but there was no refrigerant available anywhere. They recently told my wife they have had cars on the lot since May they are unable to fix the air conditioners because of this. This is August. With the hottest summer on record, my wife was getting po'd. She wasn't offered a rental until she persisted. My wife drives my 87 year old mother around and the heat was unbearable.

Not good for a new car, considering our virtually trouble free 2008 Dodge Avenger with 250,000 km on it was still pumping cold air when we sold it to buy the Civic. My wife after persisting, now has a rental to drive. There is no expected date of repair for the car. She has been told this car uses the expensive refrigerant and they are unable to get any at this time.

- Chris R., Halifax, NS, Canada

Aug 242018

Civic Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Second issue with the A/C not working and blowing hot air. Back to the dealership.....Awaiting results. Will update later. Did I mention this car was bought new and only has 45000 on it? Many other issues, which I will list separately.

- Mike S., Niagara Falls, ON, Canada

Apr 192018

Civic

Took car to dealer for fix. Car was at dealership all day. Problem somewhat resolved -- AC working, sort of. One vent is not working at all, and AC still not satisfactory -- cooler, but not by a whole lot.

- Sandra M., Surrey, BC, Canada

Mar 012018

Civic LX

2016 Honda Civic .................Blows hot air from AC unit. Many, many complaints on the web about the same issue .Honda will not address this issue !!! You will spend thousands of dollars at the dealer with nothing to show for it!! The car is a money pit...I am giving mine back to the bank on Monday. I want to start a class action lawsuit if you want to join me here is my address.

David Dreiling

5057 Keller Springs # 300 Addison Texas 75001

David Dreiling@outlook.com

- David D., Addison, US

Jun 172016

Civic EX 2.0L

A/C is not working properly. When using in the summer set climate control on Lo which should continue to produce cold air. But it wanes from hot to cold and especially when sitting in traffic. Took to Freeman Honda in Dallas TX and they kept for 3 days and would not look at it until they could reproduce the issue. They said they couldn't do anything. It is now winter....will again take back when summer hits maybe to a different dealership since it will still be under warranty. I wish Honda Corporation would do something. I did contact them to let them know I was not happy.

Update from Aug 1, 2018: After driving around with a meat thermometer sticking out of the vent...I videoed the temp going up as I was sitting. When I drove the AC would wain in and out. This happened sporadically, so with the help of documentation Freeman Honda replaced the compressor and now the AC is so so cold!! It only took 2 yrs :(

- dkw2230, Midlothian, TX, USA

Jun 092016

Civic EX-L 1.6L

I have a 2016 Honda Civic. It is about two months old. About three weeks ago the AC started exhibiting problems. Sometimes I would have to hit the on button three or four times to get the AC on, same with shutting it off. I figured I would bring it in for the 3000 mile checkup but it started to get worse. I would sometimes have to hit the on button ten or fifteen times and it still wouldn't turn on, same with shutting it off or trying to increase the fan speed when it did come on. Another problem I was having was the radio would turn on intermittently without my hitting any buttons. Since it was beginning to get warm I made an appt. at White Plains Honda and brought the car in Wednesday June 15. When I got there the AC was working normally, after not having worked properly for about ten days. Service said they couldn't fix it if it wasn't broken. No attempt to diagnose the problem or recreate it. I wasn't impressed so I left. Actually after checking their service record online I was happy I didn't leave the car there. They have a terrible service record. Pretty dishonest so who needs them.

The very next day the AC again would not come on. After hitting the on button 10 or 15 times the next time I started the car the AC would be on. Same method for shutting it off. Fan speed would not change however when I used the defroster button the fan speed would jump to four so that was my method for increasing the fan speed if the AC was working! What a system!

I looked online and checked the service record of New Rochelle Honda which seemed ok a few negatives but nothing as bad as White Plains. I made an appointment for Thursday 10:00 AM. I arrived at 9:15, I explained the problem and told the service rep that the AC was working fine currently but would constantly have a problem. I left the car at 9:30 AM and wanted to wait but the rep (Elaine) said it would take hours. She told me 3-4 hours. I called at 2:00, Elaine was not available. they said she was out to lunch. No one else could help me. She would be back by 2:30. I called at 2:45 several times left on hold and disconnected. At 3:00 I called and asked for a manager. A woman responded and told me she would "get right back to me". She never did. I called at 3:45 asked for the overall mgr. who was not available. What a surprise, that's why the place runs like that. At 4:00 Elaine finally answered and said they could not duplicate the problem so I would have to leave the car until they could. I asked "what if that's a week?" She said I hope not. These people are expert at the runaround. Totally incompetent, not helpful at all and very disrespectful. It seems Honda makes a good car but what good is it if you can't get it serviced by qualified personnel? They should have been able to plug this car in and test out all the electronics, especially since they knew where to look. I have no confidence in this car. I don't know when the acceleration will be affected, or the brakes or the headlights, or the brake lights. It's a shame I can't find a dealer to fix this problem For sure Honda New Rochelle did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

I'd really like to give them this car and go out and buy something more reliable and serviceable. I'm going to speak to my lawyer and see what can be done about this problem. The car is two months old and I should be able to get it fixed in a reasonable time. Instead I'm confronted with nothing but irresponsible stupidity.

- cprescigno, Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 252016

Civic EX-T 1.5t

I purchased a 2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Honda Sensing in June 9, 2016. Two weeks later, I noticed that the AC will blow hot/warm air after driving the car with AC on for a while. I took the car back to the dealership’s shop (6/30/2016). I was told that there was no leak, but the Freon/refrigerant was low from the factory, so they recharged it. Shortly after I got the car back, I took a vacation to Chicago (7/14/2016). While on the vacation, the AC failed a few times. The AC failed twice on the road to Chicago, three to four times while in Chicago, three times on the road back from Chicago, and once while my daughter was driving just 2 days ago (7/26/2016). This time, I noticed that the symptoms could be duplicated faster if I opened the door or the window to let the “hot and humid” air into the whole car while the AC is still running. After I closed the window/door, the AC will start blowing hot/warm air again. To fix the problem, I will either have to sit in the hot car to be cook alive for 4 to 5 minutes or turn the AC off and wait for a few seconds before turning the AC back on. If I sit in the car for 4 to 5 minutes, the AC will fix itself and starts blowing cold air. If I turn the AC off and wait for a few seconds before turning the AC back on, the AC will start working again and blowing cold air. To me, it looks like a sensor/controller problem, but other people from the Internet seem to have it fixed only after the evaporator was replaced twice. I took the car back to the dealership’s shop again no July 28, 2016. Honda dealership’s shop Service Advisor told me that they were able to reproduce the problem, and that they will need to replace the expansion valve. Hopefully they will find the problem and fix my brand new car...

Update from Aug 2, 2016: Update: 2016/08/01 Dealership's shop replaced the expansion valve, but the problem still exits. Bring the car back again...

- jylin, Madison, AL, US