Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Pilot:

Jun 052019

Pilot

My 2016 Honda Pilot have been popping up a ┐keyless start system problem┐ message. It happened about 3 weeks ago. It's sometimes will go away and come back the next day. It's on and off. When this issue occurs the ┐walk away auto lock ┐ also didn┐T work too. I hope Honda to resolve this issue by recalling the model.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 202019

Pilot

This has happened several times and Honda has been unable to replicate. It has happened on the freeway and on city streets. The car is in drive and my car has an engine idle so that when traffic comes to a halt the engine cuts out to conserve gas. On many a occasion it will not just automatically start but will instead kick the vehicle into park. It is extremely scary as it will then not start as if the battery is dead but the battery if fine and has been replaced as Honda thought that would resolve it. They also replaced all the fuel injectors and this also has not stopped the problem. I feel I am going to be killed in this car. I have case # 08783155 with Honda and after having just spoke to them they advised me to film problem!! yes they expect me to get my phone out and film while my vehicle has come to a halt in moving traffic!

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jun 132019

Pilot

My vehicle received the "keyless start system problem" on the dash and has not gone away after two dealership visits and $500 later. After performing some research, this seems to be a chronic problem with most Honda Pilot owners. The problem occurs every time you are trying to start the vehicle.

- Fate, TX, USA

Jun 172019

Pilot

The keyless start system problem shows in error after 25K miles. The car is stationary.

- New Rochelle, NY, USA

Jun 142019

Pilot

Car was engaged in "idle-stop" at a traffic light. Following driver's lifting of foot off of the brake pedal, car shut off completely. All dashboard lights lit up, and car was not able to be turned back on for 1-2 minutes. Car was in the middle of a busy street, and a large vehicle nearly rear-ended the dead car. Driver was thereafter able to follow on-screen instructions for restarting vehicle, but was unsuccessful in several initial attempts. (in other words, car was not starting despite driver's complying with instructions. Prior to this incident, car had in some instances very momentarily "cut out" following an "idle-start." Driver noticed a "popping" at this time. But the problem, which the manufacturer and dealer claim to know nothing about and are "unable to replicate" during service, is clearly becoming worse and more dangerous over time. The best the Honda dealership service department appears to be able to do in diagnosing the problem is to suggest battery recharge or replacement, which has not been an issue for our car and is apparently a common suggestion from dealerships. This is an apparently bigger issue than Honda has been willing to admit.

- Davis, CA, USA

Jun 012019

Pilot

Keyless start problem - could not start the engine.

- Audubon, PA, USA

Jun 112019

Pilot

Keyless start system problem began showing up on the instrument panel a few months ago. It comes and goes and lasts for different lengths of time. 2 different Honda dealers/service reps have not heard of this and do not know the fix. Should not have to spend upwards of $1000 for guess fixes. Spoke to Honda and they do not have anything for a fix either. Hopefully Honda will address to prevent critical issues. Date with this posting is the most recent date.

- Rome, NY, USA

Jun 112019

Pilot

My 2016 Honda Pilot with 61,000 miles on has recently given me the kelyess start system warning. It seems that this is a problem with Pilot from this model year. It also seems that dealers do not know how to fix it. It appears many people have tried numerous things, without any luck. I do not wish to pay for the dealer to fix something that may not be fixable. What can be done about this?

- Hortonville, WI, USA

May 242019

Pilot

"keyless start system problem" has been popping up on my dashboard for past month while I'm driving. I have 51,000 miles on Pilot. Doesn't seem to affect car yet but I have read online that others are having this problem which is causing issues with car not starting. Online comments suggest Honda has no clear resolution on what is causing this.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jun 042019

Pilot

As I was parking my car this morning, the keyless start system problem error popped up. I started the car again just to make sure it would start, then turned it off again and then dropped off my kids at daycare. When I started it 5 minutes later, the car started and ran fine, but the system error light continues. We recently had the Pilot at the dealership because an emission error light came on and suddenly the car would not shift or accelerate properly. All three sensors were replaced (only the damaged one was covered under warranty) and the car was again running fine, but now this new error light.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Jan 022019

Pilot

Keyless start system error displays on dashboard.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Apr 142019

Pilot

At 38000 miles the push button start began acting erratically. When the car is parked and turned off it takes 5 or 6 pushes of the break with succeeding depressions of the push start for the engine to fire up. Once it does turn over, an error comes up for keyless ignition

- Vancouver, WA, USA

Mar 052019

Pilot

My 2016 Honda Pilot is showing the message on the dash which says that there is a problem with the keyless start system. It comes and goes from time to time, and I've changed the fob batteries with no fix. I had the vehicle back to the dealer and they said that the push button checked out ok, and suggested changing out the TPMS/keyless access control unit as a possible fix. At $600 cost and maybe no fix, I'm not happy. Many other owners have a similar problem, and its time in my opinion for Honda to have a recall to remedy the issue. This issue only occurs upon starting the vehicle and stays on until shutting down the engine.

- Armagh, PA, USA

May 132019

Pilot

Our 2016 Honda Pilot has the auto stop/start feature ( used for saving gas when you are at a complete stop). There has been an issue that is dangerous- as you are driving and stop at a red light, the car with engage in the stop/start, but will then just turn off the car. It then asks for you to put your car in park. When you do the car completely turns off, but then wont allow you to turn the car back on. Takes around 30 seconds for the car to turn back on, but you are just sitting there with cars honking and almost rear ending your vehicle. This is happen almost every time the gas goes into the stop/start mode. It happened so much that we have now turned if off, which does help. First, I thought it was a battery issue, which we changed and nothing improved. I realize that this stop/start feature is relatively new car feature, but if there is going to be these issues- it is not safe, there needs to be an improvement to that part to prevent this. Not sure if this issue is happening with other people and if people are reporting that they are worried about Honda's stop/start feature

- Anaheim, CA, USA

May 272019

Pilot

"keyless start system problem" message showing up on screen and going away randomly. Doesn't seem to be affecting start engine or anything else yet, but maybe it's a defective glitch or something.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

May 272019

Pilot

Suddenly ┐keyless start system problem┐ popped up when I put my car into park.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 212018

Pilot

Ever so often all of the engine warning lights will cycle. It will sometimes last for 3 days and then reset itself. Then about a month or so later the lights will start cycling again. The car was stationary. The car had just been started. Before starting the car I did open and close the back hatch. The very first time the 5 lights cycled is when the back hatch jammed when closing. It hit something in the door jamb. The warning lights were: Trailer stability assist problem, hill start assist problem, vehicle stability assist problem, power steering problem and emissions system problem.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Apr 052019

Pilot

Error display: Keyless start system problem vehicle was stationary, after started. In motion, while driving error displayed and mp/H change without accelerating to even over 100 mp/H when if fact driving about 60 mp/H.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Apr 072019

Pilot

I have a 2016 touring Pilot with just over 38,000 miles. Since about 25,000 miles I have felt that there was an odd hesitation with the auto-off feature that I'd not noticed during the initial period of ownership. The issue escalated to the point which it would actually stall out at an intersection and the vehicle would not turn back on for a few minutes. The dealership replaced the battery and said that they could see the error and that there was an issue caused by the battery. A few months later the issue started to happen again and stalled for my wife again with our kids in the car at a busy intersection. The car went back into the dealership and they have now had it for close to 6 weeks with little to no update as to what is going on. This is a horribly unsafe issue and I know for a fact that many people are having the same issue as referenced in this blog: Https://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016-third-generation-Pilot/157005-elite-shuts-off-stop-light-5.html the fact that Honda can not come up with a fix for the issue is a very scary thought. We as consumers need someone to help hold Honda accountable to provide a safe driving experience for our families.

- Lake Oswego, OR, USA

May 172019

Pilot

Idle stop fuel saver feature causes car to stall when brake is disengage. My car has stalled numerous times. It does not allow a quick restart. It has to reset before car can restart engine. Honda blogs site on this issue is numerous. This presents a hazard for car stuck in the middle of the road and in traffic conditions. Please help. Honda has not provided any solutions.

- East Setauket, NY, USA