Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Genesis:

Nov 292018

Genesis

Steering is extremely tight and difficult to turn. Brake failure, had it checked out by the dealer who "fixed" it, however, the problem came back on after 3 weeks.

- Warrington, PA, USA

Nov 262018

Genesis

NHTSA campaign number: 13V-489 Hyundai notice 13-01-006 campaign 114. I have had my brake pedal go almost all the way to the floor 3 times now in the last 2 months. This is extremely dangerous and luckily I have been able to stop in time not to cause an accident. Review of the Hyundai forum indicates that my ABS module or hydraulic electronic control unit (hecu) is failing. Brake pedal feel will then go back to normal after I restart the car several times. I have an appointment with dennis Hyundai in columbus, oh today and I hope they are willing to replace the ABS module for free as required.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Sep 022018

Genesis

Since purchasing the car, used, in 2014, we have had numerous, random instances where the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. It's happened in all types of weather and temperatures. We presently have around 76K miles. I've had the car in for checkups to our mechanic twice, with no findings. The problem happened again this morning, while my wife, who is 9mo pregnant was driving to work. Until today I did not research the issue online. I found today that our car was among the batch that did eventually get the fluid swap done(recall). Ours was done when we bought it. They did not inform us that the problem was actually the hecu unit. Today, I called our local Hyundai dealer, who told me they would be glad to replace it, but that we would be paying for it all. I have loved the car, but I'm fairly disgusted that Hyundai has so many documented cases of this part failing, yet will not replace it. The brake pedal, at any speed, randomly loses pressure, and goes all the way to the floor. Once there, they feel like the brake pads fell out. The vehicle stops, but very abruptly. Its terrifying. The last time it happened was roughly May 2018. Does not seem to matter if we are pulling out of the garage, riding through the neighborhood, or driving on the highway. Happens in all variety of situations. Tonight, we left the car at my in-laws because my wife is afraid to drive her own car.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Aug 142018

Genesis

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. While driving 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle did not respond. The contact exited the highway and pumped the brake pedal a few times before the vehicle was able to stop. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not towed. The dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and did not assist. The failure mileage was 36,330.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

May 232018

Genesis 6-cyl

My H.E.C.U. is failing just like the recall 13V48900 states.. my brakes have on three occasions failed which almost resulted in a serious accident.I brought this to Hyundai attention. But they tell me there's nothing they can do about it. It's on me. Now my car is up for inspection and it won't pass because of this issue..it will cost me $500 for the mechanic to replace the master cylinder just to pass inspection...if there's a defect in the fluid which causes corrosion, and now the master cylinder and H.E.C.U. are not holding pressure..the recall states this is a common problem, ,why do I have to be made pay for something that is a well documented defect.. if I or a member of my family get into an accident Hyundai has been made aware of issue.

- Farmingville, NY, USA

Dec 062017

Genesis

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated while making a left turn at 10 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the went all the way to the floorboard before coming to a complete stop. The contact drove the vehicle to West broad Hyundai located at 8903 w broad St richmond va 23294. The dealer stated the electric hydraulic and master cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and could not offer any further assistance. The failure mileage was 215,000.

- South Hill, VA, USA

Nov 202017

Genesis

Brakes are very mushy. Often going to floor without stopping. Have to pump brakes to stop. Dealer says the hec unit needs to be replaced (part is $3500). This 2011 Hyundai Genesis was built in during time frame of earlier recall because Hyundai was using corrosive brake fluid. Earlier models were recalled but mine was not" why" now that 6 years have passed, the corrosive brake fluid is now causing later models to fail. All models built during the time frame in which corrosive brake fluid was used should be recalled and mfg should be responsible for replacement of the hec unit... not just the brake fluid. All questionable vehicles should have been recalled in the first recall.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Sep 012017

Genesis

After a brake job, I took the car back to say that the pedal was going to the floor. I was told I had a leak in the master cylinder. Got that repaired. After having the master cylinder repaired, I am now being told I have to replace the hydraulic electronic control unit (ABS, hecu). Did some research, and saw that this was a recall issue for 48,000 Genesis between the years of 2008 and 2012. Issue seems to be caused by brake fluid corrosion. My car was not part of the recall. I reported the initial issue at 64,000 miles. Car is now at 80,000. It has been sitting at the dealership because it had an engine replaced covered under warranty.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 132017

Genesis

While the automobile is in motion the brake pedal is mushy to the point that it almost reaches dead bottom before engaging the brakes. This happens both on the highway and on the street no matter the speed. Repair shop states that its the ABS hydraulic module is defective. Hyundai dealer states that it is for the fluid recall. It is not fixing the brakes.

- Maineville, OH, USA

Aug 112017

Genesis

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. While driving various speeds, the brakes malfunctioned without warning. The contact stated that the brake pedal nearly struck the floorboard on four occasions between August 11, 2017 and September 2, 2017. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The contact stated that a significant amount of brake pressure was applied to stop the vehicle on each occasion. The vehicle was taken to be reinspected per NHTSA campaign number: 13V489000 (service brakes, hydraulic) at araphoe Hyundai of denver, Colorado. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue and provided the contact with case number: 105-11-067. The failure mileage was 162,000.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Sep 012017

Genesis

Brake padel is very soft or low after hitting brakes and will not re-adjust. See campaign 114 for more details.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Jun 162017

Genesis

I took this car to the North charleston Hyundai about 3 weeks ago around 6/16/17, told them about my braking issue and they told me after they inspected it that it would cost me 4-5 thousand dollars to fix my vehicle. The dealer said it was the recalled part that went bad. Now they are saying its not and Hyundai usa isn't standing by their product either said I was out of warranty by 5000 miles and they can't fix it. Its all on me now. Hyundai usa first told me they would meet me half way for the repairs but they didn't all they did is give me 1000 Hyundai points and that is maybe a 1/5 of the repair. I had a second opinion done at midas in mount pleasant SC done and they are saying its the recalled part that is bad, and that I need to get in touch with Y'all. The whole braking system went bad while I was driving it, I was going around a turn at a high rate of speed and noticed that when I pressed the brakes they weren't responding so I threw it into manual drive, where I geared it down to 2nd gear and slowed down that way, enough I wouldn't run off the road and maybe hurt myself, my rider or someone on the interstate.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Jun 012017

Genesis

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. When applying the brakes, the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard without stopping the vehicle. The contact had to pump the brake pedal in order for the vehicle to stop. When the vehicle was stopped with the brake pedal depressed, the pedal would lower unintentionally; however, the vehicle would begin to slowly move forward at the same time. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the electronic control system and ABS failed and needed to be replaced. The contact notified the anderson Hyundai dealer and was informed that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V489000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and reiterated the dealer's diagnosis. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- Walhalla, SC, USA

Apr 152017

Genesis 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. While driving 50 mph, the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard and the vehicle took a long time to slow down. The vehicle was taken to lake norman Hyundai (20520 chartwell center dr, cornelius, nc 28031) where it was diagnosed that the hydraulic electronic control unit was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V489000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The approximate failure mileage was 74,000. Updated 08/08/17

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 012016

Genesis

I have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis sedan 3.8L and I have had and am having problems with stopping my car. I have to push the brake pedal harder and closer to the floor and the brakes do not engage like they used to or are suppose to. I took it to the Hyundai dealership where I bought it and have it serviced with this complaint and they ended up selling me and installing new rotors and brake pads, twice, and this did nothing for the problems with my brakes. When they couldn't diagnose the brake problem, they tried to tell me that the problem was with my transmission, and since they couldn't work on transmissions they'd have to order me a new one, with me footing the bill. I took it to two different transmissions specialist and both assured me, after extensive testing, that it was not my transmission, but that the problem was with my brakes. Hyundai refused to look at my car again, and the service manager told me that he "was through with my car, and wash his hands of it". I took my car to another mechanic who diagnosed my problem, and told me that Hyundai had a recall on my car for the exact problem that I was having and complaining about, and that the Hyundai dealership couldn't diagnose correctly, and washed their hands of my car and sent me back on the road after two separate installations of new brake rotors and pads. I never received notice of the recall from my dealership and I am still experiencing the problem with my brakes requiring me to have exert more brake pedal travel, with less effectiveness. Now, I even have to pump my brakes, and whenever I have to do a hard or panic stop, there is a metal on metal type of grinding noise from my brakes. How long is the recall good for, and what do I have to do in order to get my car fixed under this recall? my life is in danger whenever I drive this car. The recall was on the ABS system for the 2009-2012 Genesis sedan.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 232017

Genesis

The brake pedal on the subject car, Hyundai Genesis 2011, became too soft (mushy) when pressed down. No braking action until the pedal is within 1" from the floor. After checking with the dealer, and two other reputable auto repair shops, we had the brake master cylinder replaced at $380 at one shop but that did not fix the problem. I searched the internet and found that the dealer, in 2013, had complaints about similar brake problem on Genesis cars, made between 2008 and 2012, and the dealer found and replaced the "corrosive" brake fluid at no charge on over 27,000 cars - I am sure it is a matter of time when our car, the 2011 Genesis, will show the same problem, and should be dealt with the say way. Please see link below: articles.latimes.com/2013/Oct/21/autos/la-fi-hy-Hyundai-Genesis-recall-2013102 question: Is it safe to drive the car under these conditions, and what could be the cause of the softness in the brake pedal if different? any feedback on this important safety matter will be greatly appreciated. The car is in our garage. Regards elias haddadin.

- Carrollton, GA, USA

Mar 012017

Genesis

My brakes have reduced pressure and spongy. I see others have same issue and possible recall. Hyundai says mine is not included although recall was for cars 2009-2012 (mine is 2011). I almost crashed because of reduced pressure and car would not stop.

- Solon, OH, USA

Jan 092017

Genesis 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Genesis. The contact stated that the brakes failed even when the pedal was depressed to the floor. The dealer stated that the hydraulic electronic control unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000. Updated 05/30/17

- Glassboro, NJ, USA

Oct 132016

Genesis

Sporadic low brake pedal resulting in decreased braking performance. This problem will last for a day or two and then go away. Present at all speeds - even when stopped.

- Pinehurst, NC, USA

Oct 012016

Genesis

The contact owns a 2011 hyundia Genesis. When the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle would not stop immediately. The brake pedal had to be depressed to the floorboard to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA