Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

Jul 052019

Santa Fe

I purchased this car used in 2011. Over the years, at random times, the radio will "pop" off and back on again. It doesn't seem to affect the rest of the electrical system in the car, but it's a little scary when it happens - mechanic can't replicate. Now, twice in the last week, my car has stalled while slowing down, once on a multi-lane street and once after decelerating coming off the expressway (complete loss of power, steering, brakes, etc). I put the car in neutral and it started right back up, but this has happened in heavy traffic and scared the cr out of me! I'm terrified that this might happen at a higher speed on the expressway. I have seen several mentions of similar power losses for this same vehicle. I have no check engine lights and no codes come up when scanned. No recalls reported either, although a power loss at the wrong time could kill someone. Not sure if this is electrical, engine or fuel system related - I had over a half a tank of gas in the car during both occurrences.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jan 062015

Santa Fe

Vehicle stalls while slowing down. When this happens, headlights and power steering and braking are lost, and the check engine light and battery light come on. Imagine driving down a dark windy road at night and losing power steering and braking and not being able to see the road. This is accurate to the experience. If I turn car off and back on, it starts just fine. It happens everywhere, on the freeway, while parking, etc. Every person I have talked to with same vehicle confirms the same. I have yet to find anyone with a fix. There is a recall out for 2010 and on for a similar issue. This issue started happening in 2015 when I purchased the car, and it has continued to happen for years.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jul 012019

Santa Fe

After driving at highway speeds and decelerating, Hyundai Santa Fe 2009 vehicle abruptly stalls with no warning. No error codes show. This is extremely dangerous as vehicle immediately shuts down and is an accident risk. All power steering and brake operation shut down.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

May 012019

Santa Fe

Finally got Hyundai to replace my rusted subframe engine cradle (took almost 8 months to get parts) and after they had the car for 2 days, I went and picked it up. Everything seamed okay, but apon starting the vehicle and shifting out of park into drive, there is a loud clunk when letting off the brake to start moving. Also when backing out of my drive, going from park to reverse the same sound happens. The sound also emits when going from drive to reverse and vise versa.

- Terre Haute, IN, USA

Sep 052018

Santa Fe

Purchased used w/ 103K mi on it from a dealership. Engine light came on at dealership - alternator and purge valve replaced - thought it was fixed. Drove home and just before turning right into driveway and still on 55mph busy county road, engine shut off (all dash and console lights on and wipers running) right in the middle of the road. No steering or brakes. I had to coast to a stop on the side of the road. I put it in park, turned the key off and turned it right back on. Was able to back up and pull into my driveway without incident. Check engine light came back on as it was being taken back to the shop the next day - no sign of fix. I had just driven from the dealership service (about 25 miles) on a major interstate...a number of right and left turns, on and off ramps, stop lights, stop signs and residential roads. This could have been a fatal accident and this vehicle should be totaled out and sold for parts. Hyundai should return our money - we will never buy another one.

- Tipton, IA, USA

Jan 012010

Santa Fe

Multiple failures of the valve cover gaskets on the 3.3 V6. Hyundai replaced twice under recalls. Gaskets have failed again and Hyundai refuses to replace. Rear brake calipers are constantly locking up. Have been since new. Hyundai refuses to acknowledge that there is a serious safety concern with this.

- Millbrook, NY, USA

Apr 012018

Santa Fe

First problem, gas gauge stopped working. Fluctuated up and down, then would read empty right after filling the tank. Had to have 2 sensors and fuel pump changed. Very expensive!! now the car stalls when slowing down. Every morning when I leave for work it stalls at least once, it has started back up, but this morning the motor felt very groggy and I did not feel safe in driving it anymore. Took it home. I've brought it to mechanics and it never dies for them and they can not find anything wrong with it, did it two more times after that, taking it tonight to see if they can figure it out. This is extremely unsafe!! it died the first time in the middle of the street! I was so afraid someone was going to run into the back of me! this is a huge problem and all over the internet with other Santa Fe owners for this year. I want Hyundai to step up to the plate and recall these cars! they are unsafe!!!

- Aurora, CO, USA

Apr 072018

Santa Fe

Engine stalled at traffic lights with no brakes and no power steering.I am scared to think what would have happend driving at 55mph on freeway.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Jun 282014

Santa Fe

While traveling on the interstate at speed (70 mph), car stopped responding to throttle with no warning. As I merged to right lane, car died completely and I had to maneuver to shoulder with no power. Stuck here with wife and 2 toddlers until towed to mechanic. The alternator was dead and had to be replaced. One year later, same thing (luckily not on interstate this time, and warning light did come on this time). Alternator replaced again. Later in 2015, Hyundai announced a maintenance campaign (#936), and I was reimbursed for initial 2 events, and local dealer completed the required maintenance in Nov 2015. 2 years later, same thing: Warning lights, oil on alternator, etc. Local dealer again completes the work (thankfully at no charge to me). As of today, oil is on the alternator again, and I feel it is only a matter of time before the issue occurs again. As my wife is typically driving the kids around in this vehicle, I do not like the thought that it could cut off at any moment. I am hoping Hyundai will announce a permanent fix or recall. I am reaching out to them for advice on the latest recurrence. Initial event: 6/28/14 (mileage: 61020) 2nd event: 6/1/15 (mileage: 79800) Hyundai campaign completed: 11/19/15 (mileage: 89512) 3rd event: 08/30/17 (mileage: 119929) Feb 2018 (mileage: 127177) - notice oil building on alternator again

- Cumming, GA, USA

Feb 092018

Santa Fe

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe V6 3.3 liter has experienced occasional, random stalling over a few years, always while braking and often while turning. The problem seems to happen after a period of steady speed driving and then slowing down and turning. When this happens, the vehicle steering instantly gets very difficult and braking ability likewise becomes increasingly difficult. After putting the vehicle in neutral, or pulling over and parking the vehicle, it will always start right back up and run fine. The throttle position sensor has been replaced but the problem persists. I am a 50 year old man who can wrestle the car to safety (so far), but my wife, children, or others may not be so fortunate. There are repeated mentions of other Hyundai vehicles with similar problems, and these mostly mention a tps replacement and an accompanying ECU firmware update. There are no apparent recalls or tsbs with Hyundai that affect this vehicle and engine combination, and this is a huge safety problem for which there appears to be a remedy path.

- Farmington, NH, USA

Sep 302017

Santa Fe

While driving and making right turn engine stalled lost brakes and steering, was able to stop in middle of road with traffic coming up fast, put in park re-started. This second time within a year

- Apex, NC, USA

May 052017

Santa Fe

My 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe stalled out again. This event happened while turning left onto a busy street after siting at a red light. The car lost all power, making it difficult to control while pulling over to the side of the road, but in the way of other drivers. I put the car in park and then the engine restarted and I was able to drive away. The car behind me was forced to slam on their brakes, as it appears that I have just decided to stop in the middle of the road. Was nearly rear ended. Very dangerous and completely out of my control.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Mar 162017

Santa Fe

My 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe keeps randomly stalling out. This has happened at least a dozen times in the past year. This has happened while merging onto the freeway, while making turns onto busy streets during rush hour after being stopped at a light, making turns after decelerating, no particular pattern. There is also no warning whatsoever! when the engine stalls out, I lose my power steering, thus basically having minimal control of the vehicle. I took my car directly into the dealer after this happened twice in one day. I was told that they could not replicate the event. I was then told that they could try replacing the throttle body and that it may fix the problem, but they were not sure because they did find a problem. As I stated before, this has happened at least a dozen times in the past year. There is a problem. I do not feel safe driving my car many times because I do not know when it is going to stall.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Apr 222017

Santa Fe

Driving at slow speed one block from home, engine suddenly shut down without warning in the middle of a turn.

- Westlake Village, CA, USA

Mar 212017

Santa Fe

Vehicle stalled for no apparent reason. Took vehicle to Hyundai dealer, they could find reason for the stalling. No codes checked.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Dec 142016

Santa Fe 6-cyl

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe limited with a 3.3 liter engine with approximately 53,500 mi. I was setting stopped on a city street with my foot on the brake when the engine suddenly started revving up as fast it could go (app 6K to 7K RPM's). It was all I could do to keep the vehicle from taking off and slamming into the vehicle in front of me. It was creeping along and tapped the truck in front of me when I got the vehicle in neutral and the engine suddenly slowed down. I have taken the vehicle to the dealer which not to my surprise cannot find anything wrong with it. After I talked to the owner of the dealership they contacted Hyundai who is supposedly looking into it. Not that I blame her my wife is very reluctant to drive it unless they can fix the problem.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Jul 012016

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving approximately 25 mph, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle hesitated and the engine stalled. The vehicle would not restart. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was later towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the spark plugs were aftermarket and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 87,371.

- Burlington, NJ, USA

Oct 272016

Santa Fe

After filling my gas tank, the fuel gauge on my 2009 Santa Fe would read empty and the low fuel light would illuminate. In addition, the "check engine" light came on. After driving a few miles the fuel gauge would fluctuate between empty and half full. The mechanic checked the onboard computer and the code said it was the fuel sensors. He replaced both of them, at a cost of $500, and it seems to have solved the problem. Mileage was slightly under 100,000 miles.

- Florence, KY, USA

Oct 032016

Santa Fe

Vehicle recall notice. Recall states that alternator may fail on said vehicle resulting in loss of power, etc., etc. Took vehicle to authorized dealer. Almost 2- hrs. Rep came to me for 1400 est in car repairs. No information on alternator. Talked to boss and within five minutes was told it was about the valve cover gasket. Work completed. Almost 3-hrs. Recall notice is false information to bring car owners into dealer to perform multi point inspection, etc., and perform needed work. Not centered on auto recall at all. Unsat. Car was at dealership in shop for review and warranty work for recall. Because of recall work. All other cars(entailing monies) after me were completed before me. I was last out of waiting room.

- Galena, OH, USA

Sep 202016

Santa Fe

When driving the 2009 Santa Fe the car will shut off without warning. Power to breaks and steering is lost. Sometimes the car will start again when the car is placed in neutral and restarted. Sometimes the car will not start again for several minutes. In both instances the car is moving on a hilly road. The most recent occurrence is 09/20/2016

- Mountain Home, AR, USA