9.3

$3,697.00

Most common solutions:

1. replace engine (9 reports)
  3. replacing failed components on my own (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

Sep 202017

Santa Fe Limited 2L Turbo

Driving home and getting off the Hwy when all of a sudden my 2013 Sante Fe Limited 2 Litre Turbo simply dies while driving. No warning signs on dash board nor engine noise to indicate an issue with vehicle. Car dies in a live lane of traffic. Purchased vehicle used in 2015. Also purchased all the extended warranties just to make sure if anything happened to vehicle would be covered. Have vehicle towed to dealership who informs me that I will have to pay towing company and Hyundai will issue me a cheque for tow which can take up to four weeks. Try to confirm that because of extended warranties would have courtesy car coverage through Hyundai. Unfortunately informed due to not having diagnostic done that evening as dealership was closing and warranty office was closed at 4:00 pm they could not confirm that they were going to cover courtesy car. Was also told that I could be reasonable for a $130.00 diagnostic fee if it turned out to be a wear and tear issue as oppose to a warranty issue.

Next day find out that engine has seized and will have to be replaced. But wait, in order to try and get approval from Hyundai warranty program to cover cost of new engine to replace seized engine you are still required the following: proof of all oil changes for the past two years and you have to agree to a $780.00 fee to take the engine apart so that the warranty company can view pictures to see if they will cover cost of replacement. The fee is to protect the tech who has to work on your car just in case your not warranty approved. You pay for extended warranty through the nose and yet your still required to agree with Hyundai's terms.

To boot still have not been approved for courtesy vehicle until and if warranty gets approved. But better yet have been informed that this could be a lengthy process because they have to deal with all their booked appointments first before taking care of these vehicles that have seized engines. So you are now responsible for your bi-weekly leasing fees, your daily rental car fees along with their insurance and you still don't know with all the extra fees you pay for your warranty package that your vehicle will be covered.

On top of this if you are approved for engine replacement Hyundai will only cover up to five days of a courtesy car even if it takes them longer than 14 days. Oh, forgot to mention that letter was received from Hyundai a couple of months ago informing that they are working on trying to figure out an issue with the engines of certain Sante Fe's that could have had debris or dust in them when manufactured creating the engine to stall out. But no fix yet their still working on that. Sorry Hyundai so far this has been a very bad and foul experience.

Update from Oct 1, 2017: Informed by dealership warranty approved. Replacing whole engine as its a part of the recall. They will cover up to 5 days of a car rental. But unfortunately am into 11 days now of rental. Was under my impression that based on recall short block was going to be replaced. But they informed us that it was the long block. So now I have a body of Hyundai Sante Fe with 138,000 km but an engine with maybe 2000 . Warranty is a must. Keep your paper work from your lube, oil, and filters. They make you jump through hoops. But in the long run patience works. Let your Hyundai parts rep do what they have to do. Can't wait to see what warranty is going to be on the new engine. It better be over 100,000 km. This has been a trying and long process. But it seems to have worked out. But I can say based on the experience my next car will not be a Hyundai.

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Aug 122015

Santa Fe Sport 2.4L

Like others I was driving a well maintained Santa Fe at normal highway speed when the engine light came on and the vehicle immediately lost power. My dealer quickly replaced the engine under warranty while renting me a nice car so my only reason to write this is to add another Santa Fe to the list of failed engines. It does bother me that a two year old car with less than 40,000 miles could fail like that. It would indicate that quality control at Hyundai leaves something to be desired.

- , Birmingham, US

Jul 122017

Santa Fe V6

This F*CKING vehicle just stopped working while we were on vacation due to my wife having Breast Cancer. We are supposed to have a Warranty, and you stupid MOFO's act as if we are supposed to accommodate you all. We actually applied for the Recall which originally mentioned it just being a latch, not the F*cking Engine!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now the f*cking car is in the shop, we are trying to figure out about the Warranty. Your customer service F*CKING SUCKS!!!!! I was trying to talk to the guy and the ASSHOLE only wanted to talk to my wife.

If there was a recall on the Engine why not notify us properly. We submitted a card for it to be inspected, and you all never stated that it was a Engine Recall. Piece of Sh*t!!!!

- , Colorado Springs, US

Apr 252017

Santa Fe Sport

On April 25 my Santa Fe started making a very loud knocking noise while driving on a major highway. I had noticed a faint, occasional ticking noise for about 1 week prior to this but hadn't had the chance to bring it in. No warning lights ever came on. Prior to the warranty running out I had taken it in to the local dealer due to possible transmission slipping but no problem was found. There's a surprise!

I pulled off the highway, stopped at a red light and the car stalled. I managed to get it started to get it out of the intersection, pulled off on a side street and towed to the dealer. The next day I was informed the lower half of the engine had to be replaced. All regular oil changes had been done and transmission service done at 96,000 km. The dealer stated a request had been sent to Hyundai Canada to cover the cost. I had just heard about a recall re:engine failure prior to this but had not received a letter in the mail yet. When I asked about that, the question was dodged and I was told I'd get a letter.

We were told the dealer would arrange a courtesy car or a rental for us then a day later said they wouldn't. We got our own rental which they said they would reimburse us for. They haven't. After having the car for 1 MONTH it was fixed and Hyundai Canada did cover it so I have to give them a little credit there. While driving it home the battery light came on. Clearly they didn't check it before they gave it back. We reported it and were told "I don't know why it would do that". The light went off and it seemed to be ok until a few days later it just died in the middle of the street.

Towed to Hyundai again and they said it was a fuse on the battery which can happen if it's jump started. We never jump started it so clearly they must have, but wanted us to pay for it. We argued and argued and finally the manager handed us the keys and we were gone. They were supposed to pay for that tow but haven't.

I've since sold the car and will never buy another Hyundai again, even if it's the last car company on the earth.

- , Bowmanville, ON, Canada

May 202017

Santa Fe Sport 2.0L V4

I was driving home in my santa fe, my engine suddenly lost power in the middle of the highway. I had to call a tow truck to bring my santa fe to my mechanic shop. The next day my mechanic told me my engine is broken down. We don’t have any reason that this would happen because I recently changed the oil. That cost me $5,000 to buy a new engine without cost of service to install it. I don’t understand why this happened because I do change of the oil frequently. I won’t recommend this model of Hyundai to anybody.

- , Santo Domingo, Oeste, Dominican Republic

Jun 242017

Santa Fe Sport 2.0L 4L

Began 6/22/17 idling, running rough (chugging), engine light came on. 6/24/17, while driving on a hilly country road at 55mph, the RPMs increased with no movement in the speed. Engine lost power, had to coast to the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and had to be towed. Not a safe place to be.

- , East Galesburg, IL, US

Oct 012016

Santa Fe 2.0 Turbo

Friday evening September 30 2016, my son was driving my car, he came home and informed the car engine had started making a very loud banging noise and he could feel the vibration. Saturday morning October 1,2016, we got in the car to make a 5 minute drive to my work, I heard the banging and told my son to go straight home, it was a terrifying sound. My son got on the freeway made it to the freeway exit when the card made one more horrible bang and then died, he was able to coast off the exit and stop on the side of the road. But he was lucky, honestly if the car had died any sooner on the freeway he could have been hit or worse, killed. I had the vehicle to the dealership, they ran a diagnostic and said the warranty would cover the repairs because the vehicle had had bad maintenance (which was NOT true). They quoted me 9800.00 dollars to replace the engine new, or 7900.00 used. They told me the vehicle had debris in the engine and they would not repair it! I had to pay out of pocket to fix my engine, two weeks ago I received a recall notice for my car engine, sighting debris in the engine due to bad manufacturing being the cause! I paid another automotive company to fix my car, because let's face it 9800.00 is the price of a new car, maybe not my car, but a new car none the less! This was my 3rd Hyundai purchase, and after this it will be my last, this company is dishonest and doesn't honor it's warranties!

- , Fairview, US

Nov 232016

Santa Fe

On a freeway on ramp the car started to lose power, sputter, and smoke started coming from under the hood. Dash lights lit up. Pulled off and noticed oil on the pavement. Car would not start. Dealer said not eligible for warranty because we hadn't completed all oil changes in under 3k miles. Had engine replaced and the mechanic said there were holes in the engine block. No explaination as to why this happened.

- , Stanwood, US

Apr 032017

Santa Fe Sport 2.0L Turbo

April 3 2017 I was traveling home from work at 100 km per hour. My Santa Fe started to make these awful banging clanking noises like metal hitting. I managed to get off the highway and had it towed to the nearest Hyundai in Winnipeg. The service department said I had metal in my oil and I will need a new engine....the cost $5,000 to $7,000 dollars. I had to gather my 4 years of records and sent to dealership so they could plead my case to Hyundai Canada. Now I am waiting to hear back.

We have had several vehicles ...Chevy Ford GMC and even another Hyundai and we have never had engine issues. We drove these vehicles 220,000 to 305,000 km and sold them. Never ever had engine fail!

I am Hoping Hyundai Canada will do the right thing as this Santa Fe is my first LEMON. and I cannot afford this repair

- , Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Dec 072016

Santa Fe Sport 2.4L

click to see larger images

engine failure engine failure engine failure engine failure engine failure engine failure

While accelerating to merge into traffic the engine started making an unusual sound, kind of a rattle. When letting off the accelerator and just cruising with traffic everything sounded normal. The noise came and went throughout various driving conditions. The next day the engine quit and my wife was able to cost safely off of an exit onto the shoulder. I was able to get it restarted and drove it to the dealer. After hearing the knocking sound and metal in the oil they said it needs a new engine. Quoted a little over $7,000 to replace the engine. The dealer submitted a request to Hyundai for assistance with the cost of replacing the engine. Hyundai offered $1,000. Only 6,000 miles out of warranty, all services performed on time and they only want to offer $1,000? It was really an insult. With the $1,000 from Hyundai it would have still been close to, if not a little over $7,000 by the time they finished with the extra charges (you need a new belt, oh the spark plugs need replaced...) and taxes. I don't have $7,000 so I brought my trailer to the dealer loaded up the car and took it home. I have started disassembly but have not gotten far enough into the engine to identify the actual cause.

Update from Feb 6, 2017: After disassembly I discovered one of the rod bearings has spun in the connecting rod. New crankshaft, all new main and rod bearings, and a new connecting rod are on order. so far the cost of parts will be just about $1,000.00

Update from Feb 27, 2017: After completing disassembly I discovered all main bearings had significant damage consistent with metal debris on the bearing surface.

- , Gurley, AL, USA

Dec 062016

Santa Fe Sport Turbo Turbo

Santa Fe started to smoke really badly. Had to tow it to have it checked, the Hyndai service department siad we need a new engine. They had not even looked at the car at this point. They simple made a "diagnosis" based on what we reported. We are second owners so they did not honor the 100,000 power train warranty. Hyundai finally agreed to have a look at the engine to diagnose the problem. They agreed to pay for the labor to take the engine apart to examine it. They said it blow a rod and we were responisble to pay for a repair ( a $8000 estimate for an other engine) . They said we failed to maintain the the car even though we showed prove of routine oil changes ! I am very disappointed in Hyundai and I beleive there is something fundamentally wrong with the engine that was in the car. We are currently having the car fixed still after a month without transportation and are waiting for a rebuilt engine which are on "backorder" , maybe that's because there is a major probelm with this engine. I would not recommend this car to my worse enemy!!!! I will never buy an other Hyundai in my life :-(

- , Flowery Branch, GA, USA