8.0

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

Oct 062017

Santa Fe GLS 3.3L

Just purchased a used Hyundai Santa Fe GLS model (Black, Grey) with 303 liter engine and fully loaded vehicle. Loved the car on the web site (CarMax) and decided to purchase (because my other vehicle (2001 Honda Odyssey) finally developed a transmission failure after 300K miles and 16 years of service. The Hyundai Santa Fe drives and handles well, overall, but I had three terrifying incidents on the first day driving the car to work in rush hour traffic. The Hyundai just stalled, always when moving to a red light and/or in stop and go traffic. Seems consistent with engaging the brake pedal to slow down or stop. When the engine stalls, there is no warning that the engine has stopped working. No alarms, chimes or lights. It just loses power. Pressing on the accelerator is now affected and the steering is compromised or non existent. The car either becomes a missile to those in front of you or an obstacle to those behind you, and either way, someone can get seriously hurt or even killed. The only option is to touch the start button to turn the car off (this tells you that the car never truly turned itself off, it just stalled into sleep). Then you must put the car shifter into park and restart the car, at which time, power returns and you can drive onward, praying that the event won't continue to happen again (which it always does at the worst times). I didn't know this issue existed with Hyundai engines until it happened to me. It is so serious that I began looking at the car complaint boards to see if others are having the issue and what I've found is that people around the world are making the same issue noted, and neither the Hyundai Corporation, nor the dealers who sell these cars are taking action to correct the problem to satisfy the consumer. So I have posted a formal complaint to the NTSSA (The federal transportation safety web site) asking them to investigate consumer concerns over the willful complicity between Hyundai and the dealers who continue to sell these poorly designed cars to the public. Hyundai is a safety risk. Avoid these cars if you can.

- , Chantilly, US

Aug 292017

Santa Fe Sport V4

like the car, but too many recalls.....lose time and energy...

- , Pembrokepines, US

Jan 282016

Santa Fe LTD V6

I had numerous problems with this car... focusing on this one. I drove back from a long day in Kelowna to Kamloops, BC. After Vernon I noticed that my gas pedal wouldn't react. I drove a bit over to the side while I did the pedal got hard and didn't respond, my steering wheel locked up and the whole car stank. I turned on the warning lights. Tried to get my phone to call help - no phone reception no cell service....

Took my sweater of to clean my lights , so cars can clearly see my warning lights...as the snow was melting and the roads made my car very dirty. Packed the most important stuff - was scared as it smelled bad and hitch hiked to the next town Falkland. Called the Automobile Club they said they would just tow me 25 km or miles it would be around 82 on way ... and I am about 8 km closer to Vernon and they have to tow me to Vernon.

OMG what to do .. I called Dons towing and they said they will pick me up and bring my car to Hyundai in Kamloops. Still waiting at the Ranch Cafe in Falkland 4 hours later the tow truck picks me up, we drive to my car .... Thursday night. I am home..... Friday I am calling my boss if he can pick me up to work. I call Hyundai tell them about my car.... they ask me if I purchased extended warranty.... I didn't. They said they can't start anything before I have all my service receipts with them.... at this time it was Friday afternoon and I had all but one with them.

They also said to me at this point that they wouldn't pay for a rental car.... I felt very depressed and disappointed...I got them the one missing service receipt Friday late afternoon. I was very disappointed I had not missed a single service and I got treated like I did something wrong....

After sharing my story with a friend, about a week later, he said I should call a different dealer ship. They helped me and even said that they involved Hyundai Canada. I received a call the next day Friday and the service manager called me and said that they have decided to pay for my rental car...

I haven't heard back for over a week - I finally called and asked if they have an update. They said yes it is the engine the whole engine is shredded.... I heard from Kelowna that they have the problem with 7 other models from the same Series. I am in my rental car (what is very inconvenient since 4 weeks) no skiing, my son can't drive it and I can't take my samples to my clients as the car is to small. .... I am very happy to have a car after all. Even if we have to make sacrifices to our live and work. Last week they told me that it can take another 6 weeks as I get a brand new engine (from Korea) and today they called me and told me that they might get one in this week from Toronto. I am not happy and don't feel comfortable with the whole situation. Please advise what to do.... Any suggestions. Also if this happens to so many cars, why don't they recall it and put peoples lives at risk.

- , Kamloops, BC, Canada

Aug 052015

Santa Fe V6

This same problem (loss of power) first happened prior to 10,000 miles but than it was occurring at slower speeds. It did show a code. I took it into the dealer for service. They told me that the software had the fuel pressure set too low. The problem seemed to disappear and they cleared the code.

Today I was passing a large truck on a two lane highway. Just as I was even with the long truck, power suddenly disappeared. I must have been going around 80mph. I was able to brake and get over to the shoulder. I killed the engine and restarted it and the problem disappeared. I called the dealer and told the service manager about what happened and that there was no code showing. All he told me was that it just cleared itself. Duh! This is the sort of thing that could get somebody killed.

Coming back home from the above trip, I got to thinking about duplicating what happened so I got up to cruising speed at 65mph and than suddenly accelerated. At just about 80mph or maybe a little over, the engine cut out and I started slowing. As it started slowing to around 50mph, I pushed down on the accelerator again and nothing happened. I pulled over, killed and restarted the engine and the problem went away.

I repeated this twice more (same trip) and got the same results each time. At around 80 to 85mph, power was lost. I placed a call to the service manager at the dealer. I am now waiting for him to return my call.

Again, I just want to emphasize that this sort of thing will get somebody killed.

Update from Aug 11, 2015: As of 10 August 2015, the vehicle is in the dealer service center and they provided me with a loaner vehicle. On the way to the dealer that morning, I duplicated the loss of power problem once again. Once arriving at the dealer, the service manager duplicated the engine shutdown problem by running it up to 80+ mph. The manager thinks the problem is caused by low rail pressure (gas line) at that speed but they need time to evaluate it. They did say that they have not encountered this problem previously although it has obviously been reported for older Santa Fe vehicles by others which can be found by searching "loss of power" and "Hyundai Santa Fe" on the Internet. According to the service manager, the engine service light came on and indicated a failure code which did not happen for me. We are now in a waiting mode.

Update from Aug 13, 2015: I had a call from the service manager this morning (August 13) and he informed me that they had determined that the problem seemed to be the double walled fuel line coming from the high pressure pump to the low pressure pump in the tank. They ordered the new line and it just arrived. They will be putting it in along with a new high pressure fuel pump. They think that the double wall line got kinked in shipping to the factory for vehicle assembly causing a flow restriction. Since junk could have got into the high pressure pump, they decided it would be best to replace the pump. We should know in a few days if this fixes the problem.

- , Alba, TX, USA

Sep 112014

Santa Fe Sport 2.4L

I purchased a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 1 week ago today. It has 450 miles on it. I was driving home on the highway at 70 mph and the whole car went dead. It totally shut off. I drifted over to the shoulder and fortunately it restarted. I drove it straight to the dealer where they have said that they have never heard of this. However, there are pages and pages of the same type of problem on the the internet. I called the manager and told them that I do not want this car. I will never feel safe or have piece of mind. It's totally unreliable and that they should take it back since I've only had it a week. I was told that they won't take it back. I am willing to buy another Sonata, but I will not take this car back especially since there really is no explanation for why this happens. California (Corporate) told me that there have only been recalls on 2010. 2011 and 2012's for the same problem. They claim that it's the engine control module. I just don't want do be killed driving this car. Somebody needs to make this right.

- , Crown Point, IN, USA