9.3

Most common solutions:

1. engine replacement (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport:

May 262018

Santa Fe Sport 2.0L Turbo

2013 Santa Fe Sport (51,000 miles) just suddenly stopped running in the middle lane of a Chicago area expressway on Memorial Day weekend. No warning lights or dash alerts until after the engine stopped running....and then all the lights on the dash were lit and flashing. Car would not restart. No shoulder due to construction. VERY DANGEROUS.

50 miles earlier I noticed a hesitation when merging into traffic...and then a slight ticking noise. Once merged though, no ticking. No dash warnings or lights. And then, after running fine again for 50 miles, it just stopped running suddenly. Car was towed to our mechanic. Diagnostics showed only a battery message, but the engine was seized. Our mechanic recommended towing to the Hyundai dealership in Schaumburg, where we purchased this car in 2012.

The dealership offered us a courtesy car and we are waiting to hear more about if a new engine will be covered under the 100,000 mi warranty. This is our third Santa Fe and the first time we have experienced a major problem. In the last year, there have been 3-4 recalls on this car. All recalls were handled (although we had to wait for parts). It is hard to understand that the engine will need to be replaced at 51,000 miles. We have maintained this car well including regular oil changes and other regular service issues when needed. Very surprised.

BEING STUCK ON THE EXPRESSWAY IN HEAVY TRAFFIC WAS HORRIBLE AND VERY DANGEROUS!

I hope Hyundai fixes this problem and makes sure other Santa Fe owners are aware of these engine issues.

- Archie L., Elk Grove Village, US

Feb 102018

Santa Fe Sport AWD 2.0L Turbo

click to see larger images

engine failure engine failure engine failure

I have a 2013 Santa Fe 2.0 turbo AWD. My wife is the primary driver of this car. While she loved it at first, last weekend she was just about run over by traffic trying to get to the side of the freeway after the vehicle died while she was driving in the number lane at 70mph.

We called Hyundai roadside service and they would not tow thee car back to the dealer some 48 miles away. They would not tow the car at all. The car was not going anywhere due to the engine not starting. We did have the vehicle towed back to the dealer at my expense.

Bottom line was Hyundai will not do the right thing. With broken valves and broken spark plug they will not replace the engine! There is now debris inside the engine from the failed components and unknown where they are located inside the engine. Since the broken valve was on the #2 cylinder (FYI this seems to be a popular valve to break ) Hyundai claims it went thru the exhaust system. They will not certify this and will not replace the turbo charger. The turbo is connected to the exhaust system. Hyundai claims they do not have to honor their warranty, but they will replace only items that are broken. This does not solve the problem!

The engine most likely will fail again according to what I have read, and since they will not certify that there is no (FOD) foreign object damage on the internal side of the engine does not say much for Hyundai nor it's dealers. I asked for a loaner car, Hyundai said no!! This due to my wife being handicapped and needing a vehicle like the Santa Fe so she can drive to work and other places.

Hyundai's response was "IT'S NOT OUR FAULT YOUR WIFE IS HANDICAPPED AND CAN NOT DRIVE A SMALLER VEHICLE" WHAT!!!! Such compassion from a major car manufacturer. Hyundai is discriminating against people who have disabilities!! THIS IS A MAJOR VIOLATION OF ADA LAWS!!!

Beware of their warranty as well, car is only covered for 5yrs 60K miles. The 100K warranty is only for engine, not the electrical components, A/C, ECM, alternator, transmission nor cooling system. So they lie about having the best warranty in AMERICA. They do not. You are better off purchasing an extended warranty or better still buying another vehicle all together! I now have a $40K paperweight as my wife will not drive nor place our grand kids in this car again. She no longer trusts it. HYUNDAI PLACES PROFITS BEFORE CUSTOMERS OR CUSTOMER SAFETY. Over 8yrs of this problem no recalls and still selling the same engine in the same vehicles.

Also I will be taking a big monetary hit on this vehicle! CARFAX will have it on file (via VIN#) catastrophic engine failure. The 2013 Santa Fe is already taking a big hit due to the engine failures, can't give em away, now with this moniker on the vehicle it is for sure it is no longer worth anything. Another problem I can not legally sell this car knowing the possible engine failure due to possible contamination of the internal parts of this engine. This again is on the CARFAX, about the problems with the engine we currently have. Hyundai is not willing to handle business, they want me to just go away, well that is unlikely.

If you own one of these Santa Fe's especially the 2.0 turbo AWD, make sure it is serviced at the dealer and often as Hyundai will try to tell you that you failed to maintain the service requirements, and if you are thinking of buying one? RUN FAST AND FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION!!! If you have had similar problems or Hyundai not honoring the warranty, any engine failure please contact me at nohyundai@gmx.com. You should file a lawsuit against Hyundai for the cost of repairs or replacement of vehicle. Do not go for a class action lawsuit it’s nice but you will get more with filing on your own. PLEASE ALSO CONSIDER FILING WITH YOUR STATE ATTORNEYS OFFICE FOR THESE PROBLEMS!!!

- Bill G., Mission Viejo, US

Jan 262018

Santa Fe Sport 2.4L

I drove from Atlanta to Cocoa Beach for a weekend wedding. After making the trip, I drove to the beach to grab lunch. While driving back, my car made a loud screeching noise and stopped. I was able to pull into the middle turn lane. I shut off my car and attempted to turn it back on. The battery came on but the engine would not start. I called a tow and had it towed to the local Hyundai dealership. Luckily I have an extended warranty. They are saying it is an "internal engine issue". I've kept up oil changes every three months and done all routine maintenance. I bought the car less than a year ago. I don't understand how the engine just dies and Hyundai feels they are at no fault. At this point I just want sell the car. I've had nothing buy problems since I bought it.

- Elizabeth L., Lawrenceville, GA, US