2.5

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

May 032019

Sonata

Rear end of vehicle sways around as if driving on ice. Feels exactly like descriptions of issue with recall 13V354000. Hyundai says vehicle is not included in recall. Excessive play in rear end, and very noticeable burning smell coming from rear end after driving. Causing excessive wear of rear brakes and tires. Has caused rear brake hoses to fail. Occasionally brake pedal sinks to floor while driving in stop and go traffic. While traveling at highway speeds, vehicle feels as if a gust of wind could send it off the road. Need to do a ton of steering to keep the car going straight. Front end was aligned 25,000 miles ago.

- Bayville, NY, USA

May 032018

Sonata

Jerking when brakeing to stop or when slowing to make a turn. Takenseveral times for service but unable to duplicate the problem, no engine ligt has come on therefore they can not repair. Please we need your help.

- Elgin, SC, USA

Feb 272019

Sonata

Issue 1 at 29,476 miles, 23 Sept 2011. Rear brakes seized due to rear caliper slides sticking. Pads and rotors replaced under warrant by dealer, bill marsh traverse city, mi. Repair order 737578. Issue 2 rear brakes noise and worn. 69,385 miles. 29 May 14. Rear caliper piston seized. New calipers, pads and rotors. Repair order 771872. Issue 3, rear brakes noise and hot. 104, 051 miles. 24 Oct 2017. Rr caliper seized. Pads, rotors both sides rear and front replaced. Right rear caliper replaced. Bill marsh ro no 427604. Issue 4 rear brakes noise. Traverse rear caliper failed again. Rear rotors, pads, and rr caliper replaced. 28 Feb 2019. Bill marsh Hyundai repair order 432896. 4 replacements of rightrear brake caliper, brake pad, and rotors are excessive and abnormal. This model year Sonata should be added to recall for rear brakes. Many more complaints of premature rear brakes failure are noted online for model years 2009, 2010. Brakes get extremely hot and fuel economy suffer greatly when this failure occurs.

- Lake Ann, MI, USA

Jun 012018

Sonata

My brake light stop switch broke into pieces with normal use so the brake lights stay on when car is turned off. My front brake hose sprung a fluid leak that made the brakes fully stop working in the middle of a drive. The front brake hose split and cracked prematurely cuasing the brale fluid to empty out. The brake pedal went straight to the floor without stopping the vehicle when this event happened during a drive. My ESC light is on big probblem im assuming. My passenger air bag light is on as well both indicate are off and non working.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Apr 032017

Sonata

I own a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. While operating I noticed a significant decrease in speed, coasting, fuel economy, and braking distance. Upon parking my car I smelled burning brakes. As I walked past the driver rear tire I could feel the heat radiating from the tire. I didn't dare touch the rim for fear it would burn me. Diagnosis revealed a seized rear driver brake caliper piston. This caused ruined the rear brakes and put undue stress on the front brakes. I had to replace the entire braking system as they had all become a safety hazard. I purchased an extended warranty which covered the rear caliper replacement but nothing else. Burning through brakes is a serious safety hazard. I haven't notified the manufacture of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Jan 142017

Sonata

Stop lamp switch replacement. On 01/14/17 I had an appointment at plaza Hyundai located at 2700 nostrand ave, brooklyn NY 11210 to replace my stop lamp switch. They did not have the part in stock at that time. The part was ordered on 01/14/2017 and as of this writing (02/17/2017) they have not received the part and have no estimated time or arrival on the part. No one even notified me that the campaign was not completed. I had to come back in the following day 01/15/2017 because my break lights were not turning off. At that time they attempted to charge me for a diagnostic, but I advised the manager that I was there less than 24 hours ago to address the stop lamp switch, which may have been causing the issue. They told me at that time that the part was still on order. They refuse to give me an eta. I called Hyundai's corporate office, and they could not get an answer from plaza auto either. This is a serious recall as it effects my ability to signal that I'm breaking. I will attempt to go to another service department or remedy myself, but I think that this is unacceptable.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Feb 152017

Sonata

Rear brake calipers have seized at least 7 times, causing me to need to replace them. I'm at 115,000 miles and have had the left one seize, destroying the rotor and pad 4 times, and the right one seize 3 times (once recurring within 15,000 miles of replacement). The car has been repaired at different shops, but the problem keeps recurring. First time occurred shortly after 30,000 miles. Occurs every 1-2 years since then. Most recent occurrence is now (car is being repaired this morning, left rear caliper/rotor/pad). Noticed massive shimmying this time. Previous times have been noticed from: Grinding noise, car won't accelerate over 10 mph (locked in engaged brake mode that time), and severe bucking while being driven.

- Columbia, MD, USA

May 212016

Sonata 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. After the vehicle was parked, an abnormal odor was present outside the rear driver side of the vehicle. The contact also stated that a grinding noise was heard while the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the caliper failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred after 7,000 miles. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000. The VIN was not available....updated 05/17/17

- Berkeley Heights, NJ, USA

Nov 102016

Sonata

The brake light switch is not functioning/broken causing the brake lights to stay on and ESC button is not functioning.

- Thibodaux, LA, USA

Oct 262016

Sonata

I have owned this car since July 2014. I purchased the car with 54K miles. I currently have 107K miles and it's October 2016.I have had to replace my brakes 4 times, specifically because the rear brake calipers fail causing brakes to lock while driving producing significant heat and damage to the brake components. The problem also cause a significant loss of fuel economy. It appears this is a common problem on this vehicle and a recall has been put in place starting in model year 2011. The recall needs to be extended to include 2009 model year vehicles

- Columbus Junction, IA, USA

Oct 122016

Sonata

Purchased my 2009 Sonata in February 2009, by mid July I had to replace the rear brakes. I was a little surprised since the car was new and only had about 5000 miles. I was told that I was required to check the brakes every 3500 miles and it wasn't covered under warranty, not even the 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. It is now 2016 I have had to replace my rear brake calipers, pads and rotors every 6 months at a cost of over $400 every time. There is a great deal of grinding, heat and massive vibration in the rear while braking to this point. I have returned my car for both current recalls (not applicable to brakes). With so many models having the same issues, its very disappointing that Hyundai will not repair their faulty engineering and the NHTSA has not investigated this major safety issue with braking systems in these cars.

- Winchendon, MA, USA

Sep 012016

Sonata

Upon accelerating up an entrance ramp to the highway, car accelerated at an unreasonable rate of speed tried using brakes, but they were gone. Car hit speeds of 60/65 mph for more than 3 miles on a turnpike. Parking brake did not work, brake pedal was down to the floor and I could not control the speed of the auto. After traveling more than 3 miles, in the shoulder, I put the gear into neutral and the car began to slow down and finally stop. Towed from turnpike to dealership. Know there have been problems with the 2006 model, but is there anything similar to my experience with the Sonata 2009.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Sep 302016

Sonata

A few mile from home on rural highway drivers side rear brakes suddenly seized lurching the vehicle, transmission down shifted, engine RPM went way up. Upon arriving at home, brakes were smoking hot and on inspection brake pads and metal almost gone, rotor had thinned to 1/4 ", and metal powder was all over the rim, side and rear of car.

- Oxford, NC, USA

May 162016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that while driving at 10 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and a grinding noise emitted as the ESC warning light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V113000 (exterior lighting service brakes, hydraulic ). on a separate occasion, the gear lever failed to shift out of park until after several attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 20,000. The VIN was not available.

- Oneida, NY, USA

Aug 012015

Sonata

Had to replace brakes twice. After reading 200 complaints online, I have discovered it is an ongoing problem with all Sonatas. The new brakes have to be ground down to fit the Sonata.

- Katy, TX, USA

Feb 292016

Sonata

The rear brake calipers appear to be defective in that a high percentage seem to fail. This is the second caliper that has required repair/replacement, which necessarily also requires replacement of brake pads and rotors. It appears that the calipers stick in the extended position causing (in the best case) the rapid wear of the rotors and calipers, and (in the worst case) a heat build up, and a failure of the brakes. Internet blogs indicate that this is not just a problem with my vehicle but is systemic with Hyundai Sonatas, and particularly 2009 and later. I will note that Hyundai had a brake recall regarding calipers for Sonatas between 2011 and 2014, but that it did not extend to the 2009 Sonatas.

- Kensington, MD, USA

Feb 162016

Sonata

In February of 2015, less than 2 months after I purchased this vehicle used, I noticed the left rear tire was screeching when in motion like a belt in the engine would. I took it to a Hyundai dealership where they made me aware that the caliper had locked up and needed to be completely replaced & repaired along with a brand new rotor. I figured this was just a one time issue, until just this month (February of 2016) less than a year after repairing the caliper and brake system in the left rear tire, a strong burning smell was appearing periodically from the right rear tire after any drive. Took the car to the same Hyundai dealership who made me aware that the caliper was now locked up in the right rear tire and needed to be completely replaced and repaired. In both circumstances I was told that the vehicle was absolutely unsafe to drive off their lot and had to get a rental car to leave the car for repairs. I did my research... apparently this same make/model/year has given lots of people the same issues.. but no recall has been made. This is incredibly dangerous and in both circumstances I was driving the car with my car seat aged toddler in the back seat. Please help me get to the bottom of this!!

- Springfield, VA, USA

Feb 152016

Sonata

I have a major problem with my brakes. While driving they will suddenly go out. I have to press the pedal almost to the floor to try and stop the car. My car was repaired in September 2015, November 2015, December 2015 and my brakes went out again on yesterday, February 15, 2016 while on the highway. This is a serious problem and could end up being a deadly problem.

- Galveston, TX, USA

Dec 242015

Sonata

The car has had four rear caliper failures. These caliper failures have also consumed three sets of rear brake pads and two sets of rear rotors. The failure appears to be an excessive wear/slow to release condition that creates an overheating of the brake system, which has symptoms of a burning smell from the brakes and the rim of each wheel being far too hot to touch. Once we noticed the most recent failure, we noticed that the burning smell can start within about 1/2 mile drive.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Oct 042015

Sonata

ESC light on does not goes when using ESC button

- Lancaster, PA, USA