Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

Jun 142019

Sonata

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. The contact stated that the electronic stability control indicator illuminated while driving 60 mph. Also, the vehicle jerked and stalled, but was able to restart. Additionally, the accelerator pedal failed to respond when it was depressed. The vehicle was taken to several independent mechanics who referred the contact to heritage Hyundai towson (801 york rd, towson, md, 877-387-5495) where it was diagnosed that the crank position sensor needed to be replaced; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 113,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 012019

Sonata

The alarm will sound randomly while driving or parked. We are not sure what is going on. It happens dozens of times a day and alarms my teenage driver. The button is not pushed, nothing is touching the car. Just random. We want this fixed because it is a safety concern, especially when she is driving and the alarm goes off for no reason.

- Largo, FL, USA

Jul 062018

Sonata

While driving the ESC and check engine light comes then it will only let me ¿coast¿ about 5mph.

- Chipley, FL, USA

Dec 192017

Sonata

Takata recall. I was told that the electrical module is defective by autozone, . we were driving down the highway when all of a sudden the engine light came on. We pulled over to check the usual stuff like oil and antifreeze and other fluids. But all of them were ok. We tried to leave again with no success. We had no power. The engine would turn over but when we tried to press the gas nothing would go. So we stopped the car waited for a while and then the car started. We countinued our trip carefully, but the check engine light was still on. After we arrived to our destination I went to autozone to check the problem. They said the eletrical and cpu modules are damaged. That of course has me a little worried. We have only had the car for a year so it couldnt be for that reason.

- Logan, UT, USA

Aug 172017

Sonata 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Hyundai Sonata. While the vehicle was stationary, the steering wheel and the ignition switch seized without warning. The vehicle was towed to tysinger Hyundai in hampton, Virginia to be repaired, but the dealer could not find the cause of the failure. In addition, the dealer stated that a locksmith would need to unlock the ignition. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 80,248. Updated 10/18/17

- Hampton, VA, USA

Apr 252017

Sonata

This is my second official complaint about this. I drove through a large puddle and the battery light came on, the car slowed down but recovered after the light went off. I have looked around and many Hyundai customers, with different models and years complain of the same issue. Is anything being done about this yet? or do drivers have to die first. Please help us. -pete maneri previous complaint # 10954232

- Coram, NY, USA

Jul 162012

Sonata

Several driver side door electronics malfunctions. Lock button does not respond when trying to lock doors. Gas cap opener does not work. I have to manually open my gas cap through the trunk. Window auto close button not responsive most of the time.

Dec 042016

Sonata

Check engine light code reads intake valve circuit has low voltage. Noticed reduced gas mileage economy and poor engine performance.

Nov 242016

Sonata

Front engine valve cover gasket leaked oil onto alternator causing it to become damaged, which led to poor transmission shifting and then complete loss of all electrical power.

Jun 262014

Oct 272016

Sonata 6-cyl

Car started as usual and I was driving on a city street getting ready to get on the highway. All of a sudden the car would only go about 20 mph and reach 1000 RPM. It died shortly thereafter on the highway frontage road. All of the lights for ABS, brakes, check engine etc. Came on but the emergency flashers would not work so I had to keep pumping the brakes so nobody would run into the back end of my car. It would not restart so I had to have it towed to the dealer. Dealer stated valve cover gasket had leaked oil onto the alternator and ruined it. That in turn ruined the battery. Car was repaired for $1400 including the tow and a rental car. After looking at Hyundai recalls, I noticed the one for the 2009 vera cruz (NHTSA# 14V415000) in which 61,122 units were recalled for this same problem. In researching the affected valve cover gasket, I found the same one was used on my 3.3L engine that was listed as defective on the 3.8L vera cruz engine. If that part was defective on that vehicle, why was the scope of this recall not extended to cover all possible vehicles that could be affected? I would like the cost of repairs refunded to me since Hyundai obviously knew this part was defective but didn't issue a recall to cover all affected vehicles.

- Plano, TX, USA

Oct 082016

Sonata

On 10/08/2009 my 209 Hyundai Sonata went into an unintended acceleration. As soon as I put the car into drive it began to accelerate. The brakes did not work and I was able to shift into neutral. I was on a narrow dirt road with little limited options as to where to steer the vehicle. I missed a boulder, garage, and tree before hitting the side of a house. The ambulance was called and I was transported to the local emergency room. I had a concussion, fractured knee along with a number of bruises and abrasions. The emts told me how lucky if was since the air bags did not deploy.. an internet search, including your website, notes these problems going back several years. Toyota had the same problem and did a recall. My injuries will exceed the limit of my insurance and I will have to purchase a car. I know how lucky I was to walk away. I am sure others had more serious injuries and higher expenses. What does it take to force Hyundai to do the right thing?

- Topsham, ME, USA

Jun 162016

Sonata

The power side window button is floppy it just stays down and you have to pull it back up manually its like the spring is broken. The HVAC motor blower doesn't always blow I have to mess with the knob to get the heat or ac to work.

- Enola, PA, USA

May 122016

Sonata

Tamara recall. My seat won't move back or forward. Electrical switch.

- Mackinaw, IL, USA

Mar 092016

Sonata

Bought car new, at 30,000 mile starter replaced [ could not turn key in ignition]. that was covered by warranty. At 63,000 miles igntion went [ again unable to turn key to start car ] and I was stranded with vehicle.--this time approx $650 I for repairs. I have heard /read there is a history fo this kind of problem. Hyundai did give me a $200.credit toward next repair. With my age and being widowed I really would like to feel confident that this car is going to be safe for me. I just don't think with the amount of mileage that these problems should have existed. Are they using inferior parts ??

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Nov 112015

Sonata

ESC light comes on intermittently common problem with Hyundai. Previous recalls and current recall on some models. I am filing a complaints with national safety so that a recall can be extended to more vehicles. Hyundai is unwilling to fix these issues without a recall. Want people to pay out of pocket for something that is a manufacturing defect.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 012015

Sonata

While driiving with the seat belt fastened....the seat belt light goes off and when the brake is applied...it doesnt always stop....or catch the light goes off whether the seat belt is fastened or not. Tlow beam head light on drivers side goes on and off at times...had checked and the reply was it might be an electrical issue.

- Jenkintown, PA, USA

Aug 032015

Sonata

Hyundai Sonata 2009 red warning light for passenger seal belt stays lit even if no ones setting there or only a purse, or no one setting ther. So I have to put seal belt into lock even when no one setting there. So I have to fasten seat belt all the time. When driving car all the time have to keep it fastened. Also window electric switch on driver side most times doesn't function properly. Then deal sold me it a few months ago. I opened door cover to see if it was a switch problem & there was 2/12 inches of dried dirt in bottom of door panel. Dealer large one in san antonio, tx, at used lot say it is normal. I seem to think it might have been flooded in water he say no way it normal. Sure jokes on me now purchased as is dummy me, in limbo in tx. Car paint is starting to chip as well with deep open scratches weird every wash seems to make it worse looking.

- Marble Falls, TX, USA

Jan 052011

Sonata

My driver side door lock button does not work. As the driver, I am unable to unlock or lock doors using this button. Instead I either have to get out of my seat to unlock the other doors. This is a personal safety hazard because I have no control over my door locks and forced to get out of my seat or vehicle to either lock or unlock doors when the car is in park.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Oct 012015

Sonata

The ESC off light is always on.

- Davenport, FL, USA