Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Sonata:

Jul 092019

Sonata

The passenger side dashboard has two long cracks around or within the airbag area. Based on some google search, this appears to be a common problem in the Sonata. I have the single owner of this vehicle. There was major accident, and no front collision of this vehicle. The cracks apparently are due to poor rubber quality. The cracks have been noticed for roughly a week, though the exact date of its first appearnce is uncertain.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Jul 112019

Sonata

My dash is cracking in two different places and 1 is close to the air bag and it concerns me if I get in car accident that my air bags deploy and afraid the whole dash will come off and it does not seem safe to

- Joplin, MO, USA

Severely cracked dashboard

- S Pasadena, FL, USA

Jul 182016

Sonata

I bought my car on July 18th 2016. That is the only time I have had a passing inspection sticker. The check engine light came on shortly after I drove off the lot. Over the past two years I have tried to get it fixed. The code is a P0442 code. I have brought it to 4 mechanics and they can not find the issue. We have changed the gas cap twice, done purge valves, and hoses. We also did 7 smoke tests and still can not find the issue. I still owe 7,000 on the vehicle and have been paying it but it's not drivable due to the rejection for the inspection. I know of 2 Hyundai Sonatas with the same problem. One being a 2006 and the other also a 2009. I keep looking to see if there is a recall but haven┐T found anything. I don┐T have any other options as far as what to do. Please help me if you can it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Jan 012019

Sonata

The alarm will sound randomly while driving or parked. We are not sure what is going on. It happens dozens of times a day and alarms my teenage driver. The button is not pushed, nothing is touching the car. Just random. We want this fixed because it is a safety concern, especially when she is driving and the alarm goes off for no reason.

- Largo, FL, USA

Dec 122018

Sonata

I bought the used car in the spring, it currently has 44,000 miles on it. When the weather got cold, it began to jerk violently at 20 mph when I decelerate. When I slow the vehicle it feels as if someone has hit me from behind. When making right hand turns I am concerned that the car will switch gears and lurch me into oncoming traffic. Items on my seat that are not secure are propelled to the floor. I will not let anyone else operate the vehicle because I feel that it would be very easy to lose control of the vehicle during the deceleration. I contacted Hyundai corporation- mistakenly told me it was under warranty and then recanted when they realized I was a second owner which only covers 5 years or 60,000. Hyundai representative states that this is not a safety issue, that there are no technical bulletins applying to my automobile. Refuses to fix it free of charge despite there being countless other complaints of the same nature on the NHTSA site.

- Eatontown, NJ, USA

Nov 122018

Transmission shift down

- Commerce, TX, USA

Sep 282018

Sonata

I have been having trouble with the car starting intermittently over the last 6 months. The lights on the dashboard comes up but the car will not turn over. Previously I had to get a new starter on 10/29/2015 with 40524 miles on the car at this time; the 2009 Sonata was then about 6 years old; I paid $100 as it was just slightly over 5 year and the dealership said they would prorate it. I have been having similar problem with the vehicle again since January 2018 with the car starting/turning over intermittently; lights on dashboard comes up but car does not turn over. I took to dealer today and the car had 60925 miles on it, the dealership person stated they were 90-95% sure it was the starter but not 100% and estimated the cost for the new starter to be over $500. The dealership person said that the warranty on the starter put in on 10/29/2015 was 12 months/12000, and therefore no cost adjustment.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 052017

Sonata

2009 huyndai Sonata starter installed in June 2017 by dealer after diagnosing a defective starter was the reason for a strange sound when starting the car. In December 2017, the same dealer states that the ignition switch is sending a signal at the wrong time and as a result, the same sound occurs. Dealer claims that the same sound is not a result of the starter, but the ignition switch.

- View Park, CA, USA

Sep 302016

Sonata

While driving (the car was in motion) the driver side sun visor has a propensity to drop, blocking the vision from the driver. The sun visor now does not stay in an up-right position. This is a very dangerous safety issue, as the sun visor blocks your vision.

- Succasunna, NJ, USA

Jan 012014

Sonata

Dashboard is cracking and has been for a year and a half. My boyfriend's friend has the same car, same year and his is worse than mine. My concern is this is where airbag is located.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Nov 042016

Sonata

I was driving on interstate 75 when the check engine light went on. The car lost speed gradually from 60 mph to 10 mph. Fortunately I was near an exit and was able to exit and stop at a hotel parking lot. This was a frightening experience since other cars were speeding around me at 70+ mph, then cutting in front of me to exit the interstate. The car has been at the dealer at least three times because the engine light came on with no other result. No reason was found for the problem. The car was towed to the dealer who was closed for the weekend so I'm without a car for the weekend and will have to miss work tomorrow. Unknown cause. I'm not able to scan documents.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Apr 082016

Sonata

Sunroof shattered while driving on the freeway. Nothing hit the car and I did not cross under an over-path. There was no warning, no sounds of wind or air entering the sunroof. Chunks of glass few off the car and could have damaged other vehicle or could have caused a wreck. It rained overnight after this incident and my cloth seats were soaked. I was finally able to get the sunroof repaired a few days later.

- Toluca Lake, CA, USA

Jun 102015

Sonata

I was driving on the highway and the sun visor that was up broke and swung down almost hitting me in the face. It no longer will stay up as it's intended and swings down blocking my view of the road when driving. It's a hazard and issue that I believe many others have as well.

- Powell, OH, USA

Mar 042013

Sonata

When driving my car will jerk like it is shifting rough. At first I thought it was the brakes grabbing but when I googled it I read that it could be ECM and tcm software problem. It jerks sometimes so badly that it feels like I have bumped into something. Called dealer but was told there is no recall for this problem. Was also informed that it is probably an update needed to the ECM and tcm software and it could cost $200. If that is the case it should be something that Hyundai covers.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Dec 312015

Sonata

Sun visor fell down while I was driving the car.

- Waterford Works, NJ, USA

Dec 012015

Sonata

We bought a used 2009 Hyundai Sonata and after 9 months the navigatio system went blank. Very disappointed. It flashes th 33rd Hyundai logo followed by a blank white screen. Tryed rebooting. $100 just to find out what's wrong. Now we find out there were problems from the get go with tho S system. Very distracting and safety issue at night. We bought an extended plan which does not seem to cover navigation.

- Apache Junction, AZ, USA

Jun 172015

Sonata

Transmission issue: Experiencing a harsh down shift when braking. This recall is already know for the 2011 model in which Hyundai says it is a timing issue with the transmission and they have to reset it.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Sep 162015

Sonata

My driver side sun visor flops down. It looks good, is not torn or appear abused, but it keeps flopping down when I drive and the angle blocks my view. I do not know why it happened, I simply tried to push it into the position that suits me best and some plastic fell from the end piece where it attaches to the frame. I was parked at the time, preparing to drive.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA