9.2

$5,140

Most common solutions:

1. engine replacement (128 reports)
  3. sold vehicle (4 reports)
  4. junked the car (2 reports)
  5. replace lower half of engine (2 reports)
  6. engine replaced (1 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

Sep 112018

Sonata V6

Add another one to your list of complaints I was on my way to work and on a major highway when my engine completely seized. I lost power, brakes, and steering. Thank God I was able to coast to the left turning lane or I would have been slammed into from behind and probably would not be here to tell about it. I cannot believe that these cars have not been taken off the road by the NHTSB.

When we called Hyundai to tell them what happened their service advisor said "Oh yeah that is typical for those engines". So, a car with known engines problems and seizing and known fires is still allowed to be on the road? While at the same time, the car has an ongoing recall for no airbags with no solution to that problem. So if I had been ran off the road with no brakes, power or steering, the airbags probably would not have deployed either.

The best part is I took the car to Hyundai 8 months ago and was told that none of the symptoms that my car had, which matched the recall exactly, were part of the engine issue. Seriously? I am thinking, they were wrong. AND on top if that, they wanted to charge me to look at it for THEIR recall! After engine seizing, they replaced engine... three days later, my engine seized. Un-freakin'-believable!

- Roxi M., Melbourne, FL, US

Nov 072018

Sonata SE 2.4L

I have TWO 2011 Hyundai Sonata's. One is a limited & the other is an SE. The limited suddenly had the engine light come on two weeks ago. The next morning the mechanic told us the bearings had gone bad, burning the oil faster & there was hardly any oil in it, but no leaks. The oil indicator never came on. WHY? He told us to keep an eye in it.

Fast forward 13 DAYS later, our other 2011 Sonata SE, without ANY indication of a problem, suddenly stops while being driven & ALL the indicator lights come on. We thought it was the battery so we ran to the auto store, switched it out & when we tried to start it, it began to smoke & a horrible burning smell began. It was towed to the shop this morning. The bearing have gone bad on this care too, the oil was gone & it seized the motor.

That being said, last year we received a recall notice of about a problem with the engine. There was machining error during engine manufacturing that may cause premature bearing wear within the engine.

Both cars were taken into the Hyundai dealership where they were purchased & my car “PASSED” the inspection.

HOW is it NOW the are having the problems the recall should have fixed?? I'm scared to drive our Sonata Limited now since it had problems just 2 weeks ago. I can't afford TWO new cars!

Help please!!!

- mrsmc2, Arlington, US

Mar 202017

Sonata GL

The engine seems weird for about 2 months leading up to it. I had 2 stalls when driving at a slow speed. I had the oil changed 10 days prior to the engine seizing. It still seems weird. I booked an appointment with the dealership for a Friday (3 days before it seized). They did some work on the car (incidental) and I mentioned to them the weird engine perception and knowing about the metal shavings in the oil pan. They said they would look but would have to charge me $150 to take the pan off and look. They told me they looked and everything was fine.

I took the car home and it worked ok (i don't drive much on the weekend). On Monday morning i left home and about 1 mile from home i turned from a stop sign towards my freeway entrance. Mid intersection my car stalled and i coasted into a parking lot before the freeway (lucky for me). I called a tow truck as the car would not start/turn over. It was towed to Hyundai and we discovered the engine was seized. They replaced it under the extended warranty due to the recall. they provided a rental vehicle for 3 months whilst they waited for the replacement engine (short supply).

Other than the $150 I was out for the inspection that turned up nothing, it did not cost me anything.

I discovered recently that when they pulled my engine out they put the old parts back in there such as the timing chain. That's weird and cheap. Why not offer to have me pay to replace the timing chain whilst the engine is apart or service the gear box etc. Now i have to pay more to replace the timing chain. The whole experience was a pain and waste of my time.

- Jim S., San Pedro, CA, US

Aug 092018

Sonata ES 3.2L

1. Originally acceleration problem
  2. Called to Tow to dealership
  3. Car wouldn't start
  4. Mechanic started and towed off
  5. Service Tech no Codes showed Drove Stalled Restarted Car caught on fire / or smoked Melted something
  6. Needs New STARTER
  7. Mega Money $$$$$ ...not covered etc.
  8. O'k new Starter repair
  9. Couples days later...stopped in for update
  10. ENTIRE ENGINE GONE...something...something... oil wasn't even going through engine...metal...blah...blah...$$$$
  11. Talking to Hyundai...covers engine
  12. So I only need to pay for the Starter ?
  13. Hyundai covers all because...1 failed....messed up 2....which messed up 3 ...which messed up 4...
  14. Will repair...couple weeks for new Engine...
  15. or maybe a month or two...etc
  16. Went back and made plans to get courtesy car
  17. Courtesy car Hyundai Sonata 2018...12 miles on it
  18. drove 50 miles
  19. WARNING Light came on WARNING BATTERY DISCHARGING...turn on car to run apps ????? Talked to Hyundai Service...Take in to check Talked with 3-7 Customer service and transfer calls etc. Plan = Take in to Check

- Ilya B., Grand Blanc, US

Jun 142018

Sonata Limited 4

I really love my car. I've had it for 2 yrs and then all of a sudden I'm driving and my car cuts off without warning‼️ I tried re-cranking it. It cranked but made this awful noise I made it to the nearest gas station, popped the hood then checked my oil. I had oil however it was silver sheading in it. I made it home and parked it. Multiple mechanics looked at it and believe its a rod bearing. Please help I have 2 children and really need my transportation.. Thanks Stacey Egleton

- Stacey E., Florence, US

Aug 132018

Sonata GLS

The engine on my 2011 Hyundai Sonata was replaced under the recall 2 years ago when the engine seized up while I was driving down the highway. After I was initially told by the dealership I would be responsible for the cost I told him I knew about the recall and it ended up being replaced. NOW fast forward 2 years same vehicle all service has been maintained the engine seized up again and after the dealership took the engine apart the engine is full of sludge. The dealership is again telling me I will be at fault for not maintaining the vehicle. I told him I have the receipts of all maintenance and he said Hyundai doesn't care about your receipts all they care about is the pictures we took after we tore the engine down. He said he has submitted pictures 4 times in a week and a half and Hyundai still has not accepted fault. I cannot afford to put another dime into this car for an obvious problem with Hyundai engines and no one can help me or is willing to. I don't know what to do.

- Mary G., Carrollton, TX, US

Aug 042018

Sonata

My 18 year old son was driving on the freeway when he said he heard a loud screeching and suddenly the engine stopped without any other warning. He could have been seriously injured but was able to drift to the side of the freeway. Called AAA and had it towed to dealer where I was told that since I had taken the car in 2016 for a recall that involved the engine, there was an additional 20k extension to my warranty. Dealer took pictures sent to Hyundai USA and received the authorization back that they found some metal shavings in the engine but everything was clean, so I had taken very good care in maintenance so they could not blame me for causing the seize.

My question now is that I am going back and forth with the dealer and they keep playing word games with me. I asked them am I getting a brand new pristine engine from Hyundai to replace my seized one and they replied that yes I am getting brand new parts..which sounds to me like they will us my engine "housing" and all other original parts that they do not consider as part of the failure and just throw in parts that broke? I am not a car person so not familiar with the right lingo to use, but I certainly do not trust if they use parts form my old engine that were involved in a burnout/seizure and throw in new parts. Makes me suspicious since they only offering 1 year or 12k miles.

What is the replacement that I am entitled to? Am I entitled to a brand new pristine engine with no miles on it?

Thank you for your time in reading and reply.

- Aders A., Los Angeles, US

Oct 012017

Sonata

Engine locked up at 1200,000 miles. Luckily though, warranty covered it.

- Aaron G., Birdsboro, PA, US

Jun 302018

Sonata 2.4L

Simply I need help. Car stalled while driving and since the engine won't start. Had mechanic look at it, from starter to brake switch. Replaced at my cost as I purchased second hand 6 months ago. Today again mechanic came and now I am told crank shaft not moving and engine seized.

- Ibrahim B., Johannesburg , South Africa

May 182018

Sonata LS

Bought my 2011 Sonata in Dec 2012, as a certified pre-owned from a Hyundai dealer in Dayton, OH. Have never had a significant problem with it, thank goodness.

Friday, May 18th I was driving on a vacation 2 hours away when there was this horrible clicking sound coming from my engine. I seemed to worsen when I accelerated. It almost sounded like a rock had flown up under the plastic barrier under the front end and was bouncing around. Was able to limp to a local service station and the first thing the good ole' boy checked was my oil. It registered about 1/2 inch on the dip stick. He stated (quite accusatory I might add) that I shouldn't drive my car without oil. I stated that I had just had the oil changed mid-March and still had 1500 more miles until my next change. He found metal flakes on the dip stick and said my engine was toast and that I would never make it back to Dayton.

I called AAA and had it towed back to Dayton (thankfully I got the first 100 miles free, so only had to pay for 25 miles out of pocket.) Unfortunately, the dealer only does oil changes on the weekend, so I had to wait until Monday to get an answer. Found out about the recall and when I submitted my VIN, it showed my car was affected my the recall. I was nervous at 108,000 miles and I thought for sure they would accuse me of not getting my oil changed.

Got a call form the deal today saying they found metal shavings in the oil pan and they submitted pictures and a request for a new engine, but we had to wait for approval. They also said they would pay for a rental car in the mean time, but only after the approval came in. Waiting to hear back, but might be a few days. He said 9 times out of 10 they approve the new engine. fingers crossed

Update from Jun 5, 2018: Update Heard back from Hyundai on May 24th and I was approved for a full, brand new engine replacement and a rental car for the entire time they had my car. WHEW! Going on 2 weeks now, but they said it would be the end of June before I heard anything.

Thankfully Hyundai came through for me. Good luck everyone!!

- Jami W., Dayton, OH, US

Apr 242018

Sonata Limited 2.4L

Was driving back home from a friend house, about a little over an hour away. Entering the freeway, I give it some gas, as most Californians do. I then hear thumping sounds as the RPMS get higher (almost like a flat tire). After it went away I paid no attention to it. Turned on the A/C and radio and drove home. Getting off the Freeway, I roll down my windows and hear ticking. I've heard this ticking in the past (at about 72k miles, but Hyundai would always say it was normal), but this time it was very noticeable to where the people next to me kept looking at my car. As I accelerated, awful and very very loud knocking coming from the engine. I had loss in power, and was scared that I wasn't going to make it home being almost 11pm at night.

The next morning I checked the oil and had about 1/8 showing on the dipstick. It started rough with a lot of knocking and shaking. The oil light would also flash intermittently. I called the dealer, told them what happened and that I would attempt to drive it over since they are only 15 minutes away. There are 2 hills to get to Puente Hills Hyundai, so it was nerve racking. I drove it slow, and luckily we made it over both hills. When I came to a stop the oil light flashed and then fully illuminated. As I accelerated it turned off. When I was about 3 minutes away, the car started losing power (could only go 40mph max). It then started grinding and squealing. About a minute into hearing that noise, I look down at my dash, the lights are all on and the engine stalled. I pulled over into a Walmart about 2 blocks away from the dealer. Called a tow truck (in which 1 hyundai tried to say we did not have an extended warranty when we said the engine stalled. 2 they gave the driver the wrong directions)...

Brought it to Hyundai finally, fingers crossed that they would replace it being the car only has 90k miles. Luckily it got approved by Hyundai for a new engine within a few hours. Picked-up my loaner car, and here it is almost 1 week later and I have my Sonata back. Pretty fast turn around. One person just dropped theirs off and it only had 30k miles. So my guess is, they're just ticking time bombs. At least for the dealer I go through, they were getting replaced.

The new engine is quiet now, clean oil. The only thing that stays the same is the ODO. They don't roll it back to 0 miles. So if you plan on keeping your car after the engine replacement, keep a log. But if your engine has not died yet, no matter the mileage, I would advise to get rid of it as soon as you can. Hyundai will not replace your engine until it seizes. They will just keep putting oil in it to prolong it. Take it from someone that has been having engine issues since 70k miles and nothing was ever done about it up until the engines death. That's why they replaced the engine oil dipstick from Yellow to Red-Orange. They raised the oil level a little higher.

- Roy P., Whittier, CA, US

Apr 202018

Sonata 2.4L

My 2011 Hyundai motor seized up. It is on recall list but it has 140,000+ miles on it. Will Hyundai make it right?

- Steven M., Cooleemee, US

Feb 032018

Sonata GLS 2.4L

Yesterday as I was driving to work on the highway the engine started making a clicking noise , then a minute or two after that the engine lost all power and the Engine seized. I was very lucky that I did not get into a car accident. Now it seems like this is a common problem with the Hyundai sonatas and there is a recall for it. Today is Sunday but tomorrow I am calling Hyundai and they better fix this because from what I have researched they sold these cars knowing that there was a problem with the engine.

- Joe ., _____, MA, US

Feb 242018

• CVT transmission

This Saturday following a night run to the gas station, I noticed my engine begin to knock. Upon returning to my car, I attempted to turn on my car before noticing that it refused to crank. NO SIGNS WHATSOEVER. Smoke began to bellow underneath my engine. I am pretty confident that my engine has seized. Tomorrow I am taking it to the dealership to get it formally diagnosed. I cannot dish out 5k for a new engine as I am a struggling college student. I am aware of the extended 120k mile warranty but my vehicle has 137k. Has anyone received compensation with their vehicle outside of the covered warranty? Please, anyone HELP!

- James R., Harvest, US

Aug 122017

Sonata

A class action suit was filed by many people who had a 2011 Sonata. When I went in on the website to file my claim, it said the class action file date was over in January of 2017. How could I file a claim before the incident occurred. I was traveling home at night, by myself, and the engine seized. It took over 2 hours before AAA got out to rescue me. They had to tow me to a closed repair shop and I had to arrange a ride to my home in Reno. It took someone 1.5 hours to get to me. The engine had blown up and was not repairable. My car was, seemingly, in great shape and only had 63,000 miles on it. I was forced to buy a new car. I deserve to be compensated for the loss of this car!!!! How can I get in on the Class Action suit compensation???

- smlngeyes, Reno, US

Nov 092017

Sonata GLS 2.4L

I'm the second owner of a 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS. I wish I had known that Hyundai's had so much problems and recalls or else I wouldn't have purchased the car from a private party in the first place (I should have done more research).

During the test drive prior to purchasing the vehicle, there were no problems that popped up on the dashboard; the car ran really smooth, brakes worked fine, oil looked clean, no weird noises from the engine.The previous owner said the car was used to travel to warmer states during the winter in WI, so there were no rust on the body of the car; but, because of that the mileage was pretty high for a 2011 year vehicle.

Two weeks into purchasing the vehicle and driving it mainly on small roads and a few times on the highway, I started to hear a rattling noise from underneath the hood of the car whenever I accelerated, and when letting go of the gas pedal the sound was as loud as fingers tapping on a wood surface. There were no warning lights on the dashboard.

Two days after that, while driving on a 55mph road, the rattling noise (which I now assume it to be engine knocking) got loud again and then without any warning on the dashboard, the vehicle just stopped working. It was as if the gear was switched into neutral; no throttle was responding. I checked the oil and noticed it was very low and black.

Once the vehicle was towed back home, I tried jump starting the car to see if it was maybe a battery problem. I tried turning on the car and it sounded like the engine was going to turn over but it didn't. I took it to a local car shop and they informed me that it was an engine problem; however, they do not service engine malfunctions so I have to take it to a dealership.

Right now I'm in the process of taking it to a Hyundai dealership in hopes that the extended warranty on the engine will cover the cost.

Update from Jan 30, 2018: After the Hyundai dealership diagnosed the engine, they sent the information to Hyundai headquarters & my engine was thankfully replaced with a brand new one(zero mileage). The dealership offered me free car rental during the time my car was still in the shop but I didn't need one so I declined the offer. My vehicle was fixed relatively quickly (within 1 week from the dealership ordering a new engine & replacing it). I did not need to pay anything except for towing my vehicle to the dealership which my car insurance was able to cover a portion of the cost.

When picking up my Sonata, I checked the engine oil & it was crystal clear & clean. One thing I must say though is CHECK THE LEVEL OF YOUR COOLANT. A week after I drove my vehicle home, I noticed there was coolant leaking & the coolant in the resevoir was below the 'Low' indicator line. There's no leaking coming from the radiator & don't see any noticable holes in the coolant hose either so I suspect it's because there may be a bad clamp or the hose wasn't properly placed. You would think that when replacing the engine of my car, they'd make sure everything was sealed tight & working as it should be. I just poured some coolant into the resevoir & it seems to be ok for now.

Since it's winter, I haven't seen any leaking but did notice while driving my vehicle for about 15-20 minutes, a faint knocking noise like something was loose. It doesn't sound like the engine knocking I had heard before my car died. After storing my car in the garage for a few weeks without driving it, I haven't heard the knocking noise when I drove it again but then, I haven't been driving the Sonata as much this winter. I don't plan to drive my car until it gets warmer & I'm able to check the coolant hose & clamp. If the knocking noise comes back, I will be taking the car in. If it's an engine problem again, according to the service consultant who I spoke with when picking up my car, the engine warranty should still cover it as long as it hasn't gone past the 20,000 mile mark.

- vangc11, Stevens Point, US

Jul 162017

Sonata 2.4L

YUP ADD ONE MORE TO THE NEVER ENDING LIST!!

Dropped of my son at his girls hours and started to drive away half way down the street the engine just stopped. Luckily I was able to cruise to the end of the street and pull over. I tried to start it and then I smelled the scent of an electrical smell and then shortly after the smoke started billowing up from the engine. I immediately checked the oil and noticed there was evidence of oil in the engine. I checked that because just 2 days earlier I noticed the oil light flicker but never came on fully. I had it towed to my mechanic who initially said it was the starter. I had the starter replaced and at that point the mechanic then told me my engine seized. He was baffled as there was oil in the engine, He told me indeed the start was blown only because I tried to start it while the engine was already seized.

I called Hyundai USA and they instructed me to get it to a Hyundai Dealer so they can diagnose it themselves. UGH

My car is literally on its way to a Hyundai dealership here in Massachusetts. I will keep you all abreast on my saga.

I can see all through the internet people with the same EXACT issue as mine. I just received word that they settled the law suit extending the short block power train but I am not sure whether I qualify or not. If anyone has gotten Hyundai of USA to fix their car with this issue and can give me any help please contact me, I really need the help as I still oe about 8k on the car.

- Theodore V., Uxbridge, US

Jun 032017

Sonata Limited 2.4L

LOL Put me up on the Board for ones who have a 2011 Sonata limited with a POS motor now, I was fortunate that i was able to pull into a vacant driveway after losing control of everything and no one got hurt or had an accident. Tried to start it up once in the parking lot and the damn engine started Smoking hahahaha. I popped the hood all Fluid levels were fine, Can't wait to get it fixed and get rid of this POS, Way too many RECALLS on these cars, I have had it for 4 years and have had over 8 recalls, now the car is a big paper weight waiting to be fixed lmfao,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,STAY AWAY FROM SONATA"S !!!!!!!!

- Nicholas Y., Mchenry, IL, US

Aug 112017

Sonata Limited 2.0L

Well, I've NEVER had a Sonata in my LIFE. When i got my 2001 hyundai sonata 4 months ago I was in love with my car. Well of course i had the brake switch replace a month after i purchased the car. Drove it for 2 more months and low and behold last friday im driving in traffic and my car just dies. dash lights come on and im stuck in the middle of traffic. i tried to start my car NOTHING.. Called my brother to give me a jump still nothing. thank god he had a truck because he pulled my car to my moms house. Lifted the hood and it was a burning smell. Lord i just got this car and it's my only means of transportation. Brand new starter and brand new battery (replaced yesterday) went to start the car still NOTHING but a sizzling noise coming from underneath the engine with which smelled like burning metal. Called hyundai told them the problem guy says sounds like your engine locked up. I said wow i only been driving this car for 4 months. ok whatever anywho i had the car towed to hyundai because due to A LOT of engine failure my engine had a warranty on it. But first they start asking if the oil was changed can you show receipts and all of that. look im a mother of 5 i DO NOT keep receipts for anything like that. i have so much paper from them i can barely keep up. So as of today im waiting on that call from hyundai to tell me what the problem is (WHICH I ALREADY KNOW). mY ENGINE IS SUPPOSED TO BE BROKEN DOWN TODAY. I HAVE MISSED A WEEK OF WORK DUE TO ME NOT HAVING A CAR AND THEN ON TOP OF THAT HEADACHE I HAVE THE FINANCE COMPANY CALLING ABOUT A DAMN CAR NOTE. UMMM NO THANK YOU I NEED TO SEE WHAT HYUNDAI IS GONNA SAY BEFORE I GIVE YOU MY MONEY BECAUSE THAT MONEY MIGHT HAVE TO GO TOWARDS ANOTHER CAR THAT I CAN PHYSICALLY DRIVE. I KNOW THAT THIS IS A LOT BUT THIS CRAP IS CRAZY. YOU THINK YOU"RE GETTING A BEAUTIFUL FULLY FUNCTIONAL CAR AND YOU'RE NOT. yOU'RE BASICALLY PAYING FOR THE LOOKS OF THE CAR BECAUSE THE ENGINE AND THINGS ARE CRAP. SO IM PRAYING THAT THEY GIVE ME A CALL TODAY BEFORE I END UP LOSING MY JOB AND MY MIND AT THE SAME DAMN TIME. I'LL KEEP YOU ALL UPDATED.

- Savannah P., Webster, US

Jun 012016

Sonata GLS 2.4L

2011 Hyundai Sonata engine seized without warning. As my son was driving the engine stopped. We had two different mechanics/dealerships to look at the problem and they both said the engine seized and that we needed to replace the engine. Both quoted prices over $4000. I do not feel comfortable replacing an engine when this can possibly happen again. I've been the only owner of the car. The car received constant oil changes because I purchased the extended care package with the dealership that automatically took care of that. My car had the car's oil change two weeks before this happened. I'm very disappointed, frustrated and disgusted!!! I will never purchase another Hyundai!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- fanniep, LITHONIA, GA, USA