Apr 152019

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While operating the vehicle, the contact heard a knocking noise coming from the engine compartment. The contact took the vehicle to two independent mechanics and both diagnosed that a new engine was needed. The mechanics stated that the engine oil needed to be changed every month and the oil was leaking into the engine. The oil level was very low and needed to be replaced constantly. The contact was informed to repeat the process until a new engine was installed. The contact also stated that the vehicle kept pulling to the left and alignments had to be performed much sooner than normal. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Fair Lawn, NJ, USA

Nov 302018

Sonata

Hyundai dealership replaced engine and starter in my 2011 Sonata in November 2018 got car back radio bluetooth usb electrical and ac didn¿T work and it cut off on me numerous times as well as tire exploded on me that they ¿forgot to tell me about¿ and have had more problems car does not run and I can¿T get any answers or solutions! I spent $500 on new fuel injector still won¿T run! dealership in montgomery, al replaced engine and did sloppy work and didn¿T value my safety at all! do I have to have it towed back to the same dealership" do I have to pay for towing for a 3rd time that is clearly on them! mechanic told me electrical was hooked up properly and/or wiring burnt when engine seized! also I¿ve had to buy 3 tires when mine were fairly new because the speed wheel sensor is puncturing them, I¿ve seen a lot of people have had same problems is their a recall on the speed wheel sensor" I¿ve been without away to go since November & have spent more money than I have trying to get it to run & paying for a car that don¿T run! im on disability & don¿T have money to continue putting in this car that should run as it did prior to engine seizing! im no mechanic but I don¿T know how they put engine & starter in 3 days or how they released my car without anyone in service in to go over paperwork or tell me about the tire stated on paperwork ¿needs immediate attention tire separated ¿ they said they forgot, tire exploded on me so they definitely didn¿T care about my safety!! paperwork also stated was test drove, ¿if it was¿ again I don¿T know how they released it! 2nd time at dealership they were suppose to check & see why my radio, bluetooth, usb, ac electrical didn¿T work & did prior to engine seizing! when I picked it up they had no answers or solutions why! back at dealer wants $8,000 for problems I never had til they worked on it and for pending recalls with no remedy

- Prattville, AL, USA

Aug 012018

Sonata

This is independent of campaign 10V426000 which involved "potential loss of steering ability". in 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, there have been numerous complaints involving the 2011 Hyundai Sonata in which the steering wheel shakes aggressively at speeds of 60+. in addition, there is a loud clicking sound that you can hear and feel when turning the corner or driving at speeds of 35+. while sitting idle, if the steering wheel is even slightly moved from left to right, you can hear and feel a knocking/clicking sound. When driving at speeds of 20+, any imperfection in the road or highway causes this "unsteadiness" in the steering wheel and the continued knocking noise. In all cases, it almost feels as if the steering wheel or the tires are going to detach from the car while driving. The car feels unsafe to drive in normal weather conditions and could be life threatening at high speeds or in adverse weather conditions. Given the vast number of complaints, I'm concerned that NHTSA has not taken action. Please find below the online complaints regarding this matter. This problem is likely impacting hundreds of thousands as not everyone will take the time to write a complaint. Given the past issues with a "steering issue' for the Hyundai Sonata 2011, your immediate attention in expeditiously identifying a possible life threatening problem would be greatly appreciated. Hyundai has been contacted by the public but has taken no action on their own Accord. I have attached examples of the complaints online concerning this issue. Thank you for your assistance and review. Https://www.carcomplaints.com/Hyundai/Sonata/2011/steering/shakes_wobbles_and_clicks.shtml.

- Richton Park, IL, USA

Jul 152017

Sonata

There is a play in steering intermediary shaft. Wheels makes noise while turning.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jun 142016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving approximately 40 mph, a knocking sound was heard inside the vehicle. The contact also stated that the vehicle pulled to the right. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 17V152000 (seat belts). The contact called the dealer (Hyundai of durham in durham, North Carolina) and was told to bring in the vehicle for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Henderson, NC, USA

Dec 262016

Sonata 4-cyl

The steering wheel feels loose and when I try to turn the car acts as if your on ice or like I'm loosing control of steering the vehicle, I was advised by discount tire that the from suspension issue are causing my inner tires to wear and the dealership was only trying to sale me tires for $600 and did not mention any issues with the inner tire on that the tread was a little low. I have been driving on the highway and surface streets when the steering problems occur.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Oct 012016

Sonata

While driving on the long island expressway in queens NY, an extremely busy highway, the control alarm on my front right tire completely snapped off. This caused me to lose control of my car and go across 3 lanes on a major highway with cars traveling 70 mph past me. Luckily no cars were hit and luckily myself or nobody was killed. Whats more disturbing instead of the dealership doing it's job to make sure my car is completely functional, they let me leave the lot with an issue they clearly knew about and just didn't say anything to me. After all they provided a complimentary wheel alignment so they clearly were examining my wheels at the time. And up to this point the car had been driving fine, smooth, no issues. I just had an oil change about a month back and nothing was noted to me by the mechanic then. I spoke with the dealership a few months back and they told me there had been a recall on the rear control alarms, which I know are about the same parts as the front control alarms. My car wheel just snapped off and I almost died on a highway as a result of this car. And I have been reading consumer complaints that similar issues have happened and there were possible recalls on the front control alarms to the wheels. This incident occurred on 10/1/16. It has been 10 days and Hyundai corporate has not contacted me. They are trying to avoid being responsible for a clear safety and road hazard with my vehicle. In addition my engine ceased on fathers day 2014 and they repaired the engine. Then in April 2016 I had metal fragments in my engine and they performed a complimentary wheel alignment. 3 months later my control arm is snapping of my front passenger tire.

- Woodside, NY, USA

Aug 192016

Sonata

The steering column is rattling and shaking when braking and or reaching a speed of 60. It is causing the balancing of tires worn, and the air bag light has come on and tire pressure light.

- Corona C, CA, USA

Apr 132016

Sonata

The contact owns a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. While driving 45 mph, the contact lost control of the vehicle. As a result, the rear of the vehicle crashed into a guardrail. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear driver side wheel bolt fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. Twelve days prior to the incident, the vehicle had a tire rotation. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The failure mileage was 132,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Saylorsburg, PA, USA

Apr 212014

Sonata

Steering column recall (campaign 97) was identified as performed by Hyundai on November 12, 2010. While having repairs done to 2011 Hyundai Sonata, the mechanic identified that the car had a recall which was characterized by the steering problems/shaking identified. Hyundai was contracted and they scheduled an appointment to have the car diagnosed stating their policy... "once a recall / always a recall." I really did not really like it when I was told that if the problem was not the steering column recall, I would be charged for the diagnosis. I really did have a problem when I was told that they would not tell me what the charges may be. Compounding this, the rims have corroded to the point where they are almost completely black. This has been contributed to be corrosion of some sort by three independent inspectors. When I asked Hyundai mfg. & ES Hyundai for repair/replacement under the corrosion warranty, I was told this is not covered under their corrosion warranty. My repeated requests to have a service manager/technician to look at the rims and help explain what the problem is have been repeatedly ignored. Why can't these people say what they mean and do what they say?

- Summerdale , AL, USA

Apr 102013

Sonata 4-cyl

When driving car the right side wheel sounds like it is rubbing I have brought it to the dealer several times and have been told that this model is known to make the sound they stated that they changed out parts and it will keep make that sound when going over a incline or pulling up a hill or into a parking area.

- Hineston, LA, USA

Apr 232014

Sonata 4-cyl

I purchased my 2011 Hyundai Sonata on Dec 15,2013 from a Hyundai dealer. In April I noticed that my vehicle was pulling to the right side. I took it to a different location and after several attempts of them correcting the issue they called me and told me they could not figure out what was wrong. I then took it to the Hyundai dealer and they replaced a sensor and told me it was done. Again my car will not stay in the lane. It pulls so much to the right and is very unsafe. I took it in again and they are telling me it is just the alignment. They even stated that someone else in my house hit something. I looked online and saw that there are numerous complaints of cars pulling to left or right. I was told there was a recall campaign 927 but they only did an alignment on December 23,2011 and nothing else was done but then it was closed, indicating that it had been fixed. They want me to pay for the alignment and told me my tires are bad because of how it drives. Hyundai is aware of the issues and gives me the run around.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 282014

Sonata

I own a 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited 2.0T which came equipped with hankook optimo H431 tires, size 225/45R18V. At approximately 41000 miles (August 2014) I noticed a bulge/bubble on the sidewall of the right front tire. Upon visiting a local tire shop to determine how bad the problem was, the technician removed the tire and advised me that there were 5 separate bubbles in the tire and it was not safe to drive. I brought the car to the dealership & was told the issue was not covered under any warranty and I had to purchase a new tire for $275. Two days ago I was walking around the car and I've noticed a bubble on the sidewall of the left front tire now. I drive primarily on the highway and keep my tires properly inflated at all times. There were/are no abrasions, scuffs or cuts on the side of the tire at the sight of the bubbles. They have been located both in the inner & outer sidewalls.

- Dunellen, NJ, USA

Mar 242014

Sonata

My vehicle hyndai Sonata 2011, crashed into a parked construction in a parking lot at the speeds of up to 30 mph. The crash damaged basically the whole front side of the driver side and damaged the front two wheels. The front windshield was damaged as well with cracks on the shield and it also knocked out the rearview mirrors. I was in the driver seat when the crash happened and my head crashed up against the steering wheel, which left a little soreness. What I was wondering is with such an impact and such damage, how did the airbags not go off". my head slammed pretty good up against the steering wheel and a little more impact I could've been severely hurt. So I just want to ask why did the airbags not work"

- Breckenridge, TX, USA

Oct 232013

Sonata

Purchased 2011 Sonata gls new N July 2010. With 40,000 miles on the car, now it makes strange banging, metal on metal, something loose sound from front passenger side of the car when braking. This sound is much louder when making hard left turn, like getting out of a shopping center to busy road to take a left turn. Will take it to the dealership and see what they say. I wasn't expecting this kind of issue only after 3 years and around 40,000 miles.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 152013

Sonata

My car was just serviced for excessive noise occurring when I would make turns as if the car could not grip the road. I brought the car to the deal as was told the alignment must be off, only to find that there was a recall that I was never told of. The dealer replaced the lower control arms on the car and a new alignment part their "TP3 recall" but when driving home the car did not make noises when making the turns on the on/off ramps but rather when driving straight and/or when changing lanes. Dealer due to being a Sunday and service department being closed as me to call them back. This will be the 3rd time I have had to bring the car in for the same issue with each time the steering column being loose and a natural pull to the driver side.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Aug 122013

Sonata 4-cyl

This vehicle is impossible to drive in a straight line. Vehicle is constantly pulling to the right or left and requires constant attention. It is almost as if steering wheel has not been centered. I thought that this problem is with my vehicle, but after driving my friends brand new Sonata I concluded that this is the Hyundai problem. Dealer is denying that there is anything wrong with the car; however problem still persists.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 152013

Sonata 4-cyl

My car comes with a TPMS system to monitor the air pressure in each tire. Intermittently the warning light indicating there is a problem with one of the tires comes on. A check with a pressure gauge of each tire always indicates a false alarm. Talking with other Sonata owners I have anecdotal evidence that I'm not the only one with this problem. When bringing the car back to the dealer they say they can't fix it because there's no issue when the car is at their garage. This can be a dangerous problem for a number of reasons - 1. the false alarm is distracting, at highway speeds this can cause the operator to think they should pull over in a dangerous environment to avoid having a bigger problem. 2. after it happens a couple of times the operator might ignore a real problem. Yet the manufacturer refuses to address the problem.

- Newtown, PA, USA

Feb 252013

Sonata

I bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata in March of 2010 brand new. I have had problems with the tires had to be replaced after year two, and when they were being replaced they said that the air valve on the tire was corroded when I went to Hyundai to get the part replaced they said that it wasn't corroded it was broke off because there wan't a cap on it and it got wet. So, they said that I had to buy a new one, and they would send it up under the warranty and I would be refunded that did not happen. After that my push start would not start when I pushed it. I would have to push it about three times and then it would finally start. I took it to Hyundai, and had it replaced not under warranty any more is what they told me. So I paid the $287 for it. After I got it home and went into grab something came back out and it did it again. Took it back to gateway Hyundai in richmond to have it fixed and they said it needed a nother starter. I didn't have to pay for the part but I was going to have to pay for the labor. Nope didn't get it fixed. I would just start it three times instead. Then I had to replace the brakes last year 2012 because it wore only on one side, and now the engine blew a rod. They claimed that it was because of not having enough oil in it, but then told me I had a quart to much of oil. Now really does that make any sense? this is absolutely ridiculous. Then they told me I could trade it in for a new Hyundai but would have to put $5000 down on it which is convienantly the amount they quoted me to have my engine fixed because they said it wasn't under warranty because I hadn't kept all my receipts for oil changes for the past three years.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jul 282012

Sonata

1) tire pressure monitoring system light indicates low tire pressure. 2) droning noise coming from rear tires. The tire pressure problem first occurred approximately 2-weeks after I purchased the car used from a local Hyundai dealer. The problem occurred a couple more times and was returned to the dealer multiple times, but the problem has not been resolved. When driven locally, the problem occurs about every 2-to-3 weeks (approximately 200 miles). When I drive on out-of-town trips, the trouble occurrence varies from about every 150 to 700 miles. I checked the tires with a tire gauge and it indicates the driver-side front tire (seems to be the only tire having the problem) has only 25 psi of pressure. I inflated the tire to 35 psi and continued my trip. The tire pressure light came on a couple more times during this particular trip. The vehicle now has four new tires, and the problem still occurs, however it has moved to the driver-side rear tire (this may be the rim that was originally on the driver-side front. The dealer has checked the tire and rim and has not found any problems. I had the issued checked during a recent trip by an independent shop and they did not find a problem with the tire or rim. They also had to put air in the tire and speculate the problem is with the TPMS since the tire is actually loosing air when it heats up. Please note nitrogen is used in the tires. My son noticed the droning noise on a particular out-of-town trip. This was his first time in the vehicle, and he noted the noise right away. The tires had plenty of tread and did not appear to have any other problems. The issue was fixed by replacing the original tires that were on the vehicle (I believe they were the original equipment tires).

- Chattanooga, TN, USA