9.2

$4,500

Most common solutions:

1. replace engine (6 reports)
  3. sell car (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Tucson:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

Aug 242018

Tucson GLS 2.4L

I was on the highway, driving highway speed, when suddenly the vehicle just lost power completely. I was able to roll to the shoulder safely, but only because it was a light traffic time of the day. Any other time, it would've been trouble. I tried restarting the vehicle, and there was absolutely no life whatsoever in the engine. The electronics were still working, but the engine was not responsive.

I had the vehicle towed to a shop, to which they told me within 30 minutes of running tests that the engine was seized. Well, this is awkward for me, since it only has 72,000 Miles, and I kept up with the scheduled oil changes at the dealership. This shop suggested that I have it towed to the dealership, and since it's still technically covered under my extended warranty, to have them deal with it.

I had the vehicle towed by the dealership, to the dealership...and they echoed the same diagnosis; seized engine. The extended warranty process is dragging their feet because they don't wanna pay for something that appears to be obvious, despite the consistent diagnosis by two separate professional auto shops.

The 'warranty' is only honored if you're the original owner, and in spit of that, I have an extended warranty that is trying their best not to honor it. I would never buy or deal with a Hyundai ever again as long as I'm alive, and this inconvenience has cost me time, travel inconveniences, stress, and of course...money (because I can't use my car to work).

The Hyundai Sante Fe, Kia Sportage, and Kia Sorento have been reported as having these same issues, but the Tucson absolutely needs to be included, because they're using the same engine (components) in this model year.

- William K., Chicago, IL, US

Aug 072018

Tucson 2.4L V4

On a road trip from Fort Worth to Galveston, Texas (about 300 miles) I first experienced lack of acceleration. The car would hold speed while on cruise control, but I could not accelerate to pass someone on the highway. About 10 minutes after noticing this issue, the engine began to make a knocking noise. It started out softly and increased in volume. I was traveling on I-45, and was located on a stretch with no easy access to a gas station or other location to pull in and stop. I hoped to go an additional 10 miles to Madisonville, Texas, and stop there.

Suddenly, the engine made a very loud noise. The car shook, the engine raced to over 6000 rpm, and then shut off. When the engine raced, the engine light came on for the first time. I had enough speed to be able to pull over to the shoulder. I turned the car off, and upon trying to turn it back on, the engine tried to turn over but could not. The car was completely inoperable. I had to call a tow truck and have it towed 40 miles to the nearest dealership in Huntsville, Texas. Kamkad Hyundai diagnosed the engine as completely ruined, most likely due to a bearing failure. The dealer stated it would cost approximately $6,000 parts and labor to replace the engine, and that none were available for months. Dealer offered me $1,000 for the car.

This was an extremely dangerous situation. I sat on the shoulder of a major interstate, with traffic whizzing by at 80 mph, for an hour and a half. My car has had regular oil changes, a fresh battery, and was in good, clean operating condition. I am extremely lucky that I did not have an accident or suffer an injury as a result of the engine failure.

My immediate family all owns Hyundais, and until last week, I would have recommended a Tucson to anyone. I will no longer be doing so, and will be seeking redress from Hyundai.

- Monica B., Fort Worth, US

Jul 292018

Tucson GLS 2

On March 31st 2018 I signed for my daughter to purchase a used 2013 Hyundai Tuscon with 96,097 miles. On July 29th while driving down the road, someone pulled out in front of me and I hit the brakes and swerved. Once safely in the right lane, I began to accelerate again. That’s when I heard a strange noise and realized the vehicle was losing power. I looked down, every light on the panel was lit up and the engine was not running. Thankfully I was able to coast into a turning lane before the car stopped rolling, otherwise I could have been killed. When I got out, there was smoke and a very strong burning smell so I popped the hood to ensure the car wasn’t on fire. I waited a bit for it to cool down and tried starting it again…Nothing. I had to call a wrecker to tow the car to a shop and we were told the engine failed.

After much research, I found that the engine(Theta II) in these vehicles is known to have issues. There are numerous complaints of engine failure, many with stories almost identical to our own experience. After only 4 months and less than 3500 miles driven, the engine failed. The vehicle has 99,593 miles and was not even due an oil change until 8/27/2018 or 101,090 miles.

I reached out to Hyundai Motor America and was told that I would have to have the vehicle inspected by an authorized Hyundai dealership so I paid to have it towed to one. Their service dept. said 'it's locked up like Fort Knox' and gave us a quote of over $10,000 to install a new engine. When we passed that on to Hyundai Motor America they informed us that the vehicle was out of warranty and we would be responsible for the repairs out of pocket.

I don't understand why Hyundai has not issued a recall. The same problem that plagued over 1 million other vehicles that have already been recalled is being reported in the Tuscon!

My daughter is 20 years old and a full time college student who works part time. She is now stuck paying a car payment and insurance premiums for the next 4 years for a car that she cannot even drive. She is literally stranded and she has just paid her 4th car payment!

- Kim H., Dalton, US

May 252018

Tucson GLS/LTD 2.4L

Metal flakes in the oil. Engine seized...on national backorder....

- Jessica H., Lehigh Acres, FL, US

Jun 252018

Tucson 2.4L

Driving down a street 35 mph, engine made loud sound all the lights came on and car shuddered and would not drive. Moved to side of road and towed to dealership. The engine seized. Not repairable. Dealership and manufacture refused to help in any way despite known problem.

Eventually traded in as cost to replace engine with used engine (no new ones available) was prohibitive. Received trade in of $3500 Blue book value $9000.

That fantastic warranty they advertise everywhere is only available to original owner-they don't advertise that anywhere! Manufacturer did not care. Dealership offered to sell us new car.

Wouldn't buy an air freshener from these fools.

- Jody U., Waxhaw, US

Jun 052018

Tucson MBS

There was no warning sign, the engine was making a quiet knocking noise and 35 minutes after that the knocking noise got louder and the whole car started shaking. After I turned the car off oil went everywhere.

- Nicole A., Rosenberg, US

Apr 172018

Tucson 4 Door Station Wagon 2.1L V4

I have had nothing but problems with the 2013 Hyundai Tucson since I financed it new off the lot. This one is the worst though. I just found out that the axle caused the engine to fail and cause a piston to shoot right out and all the oil leak out. Now there's a crack in the engine and it has to be replaced at my expense!!! I am not impressed and even the insurance company is saying that it is mechanical defect/failure that is the cause of this. Hyundai better pay or they will never hear the end of my complaints.

- Melanie W., Surrey, BC, Canada

Mar 122018

Tucson Limited Edition

I am writing in response to the recent issues I am having with my 2013 Tucson. It is currently sitting (because it is unable to start) at a Hyundai dealership. I was told from Hyundai customer service to have it towed there due to the engine trouble I am having with the car, and did so on March 16, 2018.

I do not feel that the complete engine failure is due to any negligence on my part. I have always kept up with regular maintenance on the car including oil changes. I chose to purchase a Hyundai because of their known reliability and safety. These are most important when choosing a vehicle to own, and I felt Hyundai was top in both those categories. I have two young girls to keep safe.

However Hyundai has proven to not be. One moment I was able to drive my Tuscon and then the next moment I am unable to start it and am looking at a cost to fix it at well over $5000.00.Auto Nation has looked at the car as has stated that there are complications with the CVT gear and the Timing Chain. Hence the reason the car no longer can start and needs to be fixed.

I feel that the engine problems need to be addressed and paid for by Hyundai due to manufacturer’s error. I have tried to facilitate these issues by speaking directly with Hyundai customer service. Every time I have called, I have spoken to a different customer service representative and given a different case number. Despite explaining to a new person the details of the process I am going through, each representatives has had a different excuse as to what will happen in repairing my car. There has been no consistency on your end.

My family and I have been loyal customers of Hyundai for years. In return, I would expect Hyundai to be available for assistance in this matter.

- geralyn1981, Antioch, US