Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Tucson:

Jun 142019

Tucson

When I am in a complete stop my engine/transmission feels like it wants to stall or misfire. When I take off it keeps jumping because it has no power. I almost get in a accident everytime I stop and take off again. I have taken it to universal Hyundai 2 separate times for the same issue and they told me nothing is wrong with it. It is suppose to do that. I drove 10 other SUV the same as mine and had no issue and had good power. This is a major safety issue and almost got into about 7 accidents with it because it feels like no power or vacuum or anything. Idk how to explain. If I slow down but not stop then push the gas to get speed again the car bounces like it is miss firing or transmission went bad

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 122019

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 102019

Tucson

I leased a 2017 Tucson intending to buy at the end. Over the past year and a half, with about 29,000 miles on it, I have had six different occasions where I pull out onto my busy 50 mph road and the vehicle will not move. It's almost as if it had stalled or slipped into neutral, no matter how soft or hard you step on the gas. Each occasion my son and I have come within seconds of being hit by dump trucks, tractor trailers, or other roadway vehicles. The dealership service says it's the dual clutch system, but cannot find anything wrong, they've reset the parameters to factory settings, but it does not fix the problem. Not to mention the ac just went on it out of nowhere. I am 16 months out from the lease termination, and feel so unsafe driving this vehicle due to the fact I have come within seconds of getting rear ended by dump trucks, then having the car buck forward and red line. Handfuls of customers have complained about this vehicle, but nothing will be done to address this until a family or person winds up seriously injured or dead. Unfortunately, my husband and I are at a crossroads deciding if breaking the lease would be better than winding up in a coffin, either way it'll cost a significant amount of money on our end.

- Columbia, CT, USA

Aug 072019

Tucson

At approximately 6:10 pm on Wednesday 8/7/19, I was on an outlying road turning on a roundabout, I had slowed to approximately 15 mph to enter the roundabout and was accelerating to exit it, when my 2017 Hyundai tuscon spontaneously and without warning shut off. The car slowed and the screens went black. I was able to get to the shoulder before it stopped completely and turn my hazard lights on. I waited a few seconds and tried the car, it started right up. I turned around and went home (8 minute trip, along outlying roads) I am unsure which component caused the malfunction that caused my car to spontaneously shut off.

- Whitehouse, OH, USA

May 272019

Tucson

From stop to 30 mph intermittent hesitation. Dangerous when trying to merge for don't know if car will move or not. It 'bucks' from start to acceleration intermittently. From low speed to try to accelerate doesn't always want to accelerate. Dual clutch seems to be the problem and maybe something else. Hyundai service did nothing to help with this problem, just 'live with it'. would they like their teenager driving such a car?? some times car lurches forward too instead of hesitation. Gas mileage terrible too. Not getting what they said, 18-20 mph, once in awhile 25 or 30.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Jun 232017

Tucson

When trying to turn off the Tucson (vehicle has push button start) to refill the gas tank, the engine didn't turn off. While the engine was on, it restarted again the engine, all the warning lights turned on in the dashboard and the engine started to vibrate violently with RPM's around 500 RPM. Some seconds later the engine RPM stabilized (normal idle). I pressed the push button again and the engine turned off successfully. Went to the dealer but they were unable to duplicate the issue. No changes were made to the car.

May 222019

Tucson

Vehicle's engine is intermittently making noises again after exhaust manifold was fixed and also intermittently releasing carbon monoxide into the cabin of the vehicle. I have a video of the carbon monoxide reading, but the system will not allow me to upload.

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Jul 282018

Tucson

July 2018 car began making noise when turning on and backing up. The noise went away when I began to drive. Took to dealership for oil change and they couldn't diagnosis the problem. Problem began getting worse, mentioned it at next oil change. Now mind you, I drive a lot!! car is 2 years old and has 83K. Between July and December 2018 the car received minimum of 4 oil changes all done at the same dealership who says it's normal even when I complained of smelling gas. After returning to va from mi, the lights on the dash all turned on while driving, speedometer jumped where ever it wanted if it wanted to move at all. Took to nearest dealership, diagnosis was bad vacuum pump. It was replaced and said all my driving issues and gas smell would stop. Nope....took back in, diagnosis is faulty exhaust manifold. Replaced. Two weeks later it starts to act up again like it did the first time.

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

May 012019

Tucson

When the air conditioner is turned on there is stingy smell coming out of the vents but in a few minutes it goes away. I don't know if there is a leak in the system. I mentioned it to the dealer and they said they haven't received any recalls on that problem. Happens every day I use the car.

- Anasco, PR, USA

Apr 172019

Tucson

***engine taking too long to start - smart key*** in some cases it takes too long the engine to start. Engine starter is working but is like the injectors are not supplying gasoline to the engine. It could be over 7 to 10 seconds starting the engine until the engine is running. After that I opened the hood and I found some oil stains on the valve cover. Also where the PCV ventilation is it looks like there is some oil vapors coming outside. Engine is the 2.0 gdi (nu engine)

May 232017

Tucson

When accelerating, the engine vibrates softly at around 4,000 RPM, driver can hear the doors and dash panels vibrating. It has been that way since brand new. I went to the dealership to explain the service personnel but they say that is normal. Also when I start the engine cold there was a noise like the cvvt sprocket didn't have sufficient oil, also they told me that is normal. After that, I changed the oil myself and I filled the engine with a synthetic oil and that noise disappeared after 1 day of use.

Oct 182018

Tucson 4-cyl

2017 Hyundai Tucson. Consumer writes in regards to loss of vehicle power which resulted in an accident.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Feb 132019

Tucson

While drivng on the 5N freeway in the fast lane, my car seized. I had enough momentum to get on the right shoulder. Warning light said nothing of oil leak and gave me the TPMS warning (tire pressure). Diagnosis: Oil plug fell out of oil pan, all oil leaked and engine was ruined. Weeks later, I recieve a "new" engine and they do not know why the plug fell out. If it was loose, it would have fell out quicker than 600 miles after the oil was serviced. Perhaps it was the wrong size oil plug, we wont know because it fell out. Recall is for 2011-2013 models....perhaps the 2017 has same issues!!! NHTSA's campaign number: 19V063. 120,000 Hyundai Tucson SUVS from the 2011 to 2013 model years. The oil pan may have been improperly sealed during engine production. As a result, an oil leak could develop and lead to engine damage, the engine stalling, or even a fire, NHTSA says.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA

Mar 042019

Tucson

When you accelerate the vehicle the engine revs up to 5K to 6K and the car appears to being neutral. This occurs every tim I try to accelerate. The vehicle does not accelerate. Very dangerous when I try to accelerate to change lanes. The vehicle does no accelerate.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Jan 112019

Tucson

As I was driving, the car began to slow down so I pulled over and the engine turned off. It wouldn't turn back on. Lights, radio, heat-all working but the engine doesn't start. We have it towed to the dealer and they say the engine seized up on us. It will be replaced because it is under warranty but it will take 1-2 months for a new one to come in. Apparently Hyundai is aware of the issue and is redesigning the engines to fix the problem. How many times does this have to happen before they are recalled" what if you are on the highway and your car shuts off" no prior warning, nothing. They tried to give us the same bologna about engine maintenance and oil changes. This is a serious design flaw.

- Fultonville, NY, USA

Dec 142018

Tucson

In some cases when the engine is hot turned off and is restarted in a short period of time (1/2 hr.), a ticking lifter (noisy lifter) can be heard. The oil level and viscosity is correct. Engine is the 2.0L (nu gdi 2.0L DOHC). Always checking the oil in the engine after the failures of Hyundai/Kia engines.

Jan 242019

Tucson

Vehicle was stationery. In some cases is difficult to start the engine because the brake pedal is very hard (almost rock solid), driver must press harder the brake pedal to make the vehicle start (smart key procedure). If vehicle doesn't detect the driver's foot in pressing the brake pedal, the engine will not start and ignition switch will go to acc or on position. Events occurred in 01/24/2019 and dealership (called 01/25/2019) wants to inspect the vehicle in February 15,2019 because they are full until that date.

Nov 022018

Tucson

This car worked fine until it died on the freeway at 60 miles per hour one evening. I was able to restart it and mad it 3 more miles to home. Next day it would not start and was towed to dealer and dealer says the engine is bad and oil is sludgy due to lack of maintenance and it is not covered under warranty. Car has 30,000 miles and has had 4 oil changes and was due for next oil change.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Jun 192017

Tucson 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2017 Hyundai Tucson. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle would downshift into low gear on its own. Also, when attempting to drive the vehicle, it failed to start. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to sport durst automotive (4511 durham-chapel hill blvd, durham, nc 27707, (877) 262-3223) to be diagnosed, but a failure code could not be found. The dealer stated that the vehicle was performing as designed. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the failure recurred three times, but the dealer could not duplicate the failures. The manufacturer was notified and provided case number: 13622118. The approximate failure mileage was 805.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Oct 012018

Tucson

While driving I have noticed that when I begin to accelerate after a complete stop my car jerks forward and doesn't catch. It's almost as if the vehicle stalls before moving forward, this happens when moving forward or reversing from a complete stop. I haven't been able to get a response to the issue from the dealership though I've let them know there is an issue multiple times over the past 3 months.

- Antelope, CA, USA