Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Hyundai Tucson:

Apr 052018

Tucson

Upon pressing the gas pedal from a complete stop, or while driving at very low speeds (less than 20 mph), vehicle hesitates to accelerate for 2 to 3 seconds. After the 2 or 3 second pause, car finally accelerates with very high RPM's.

- Farmingville, NY, USA

Sep 202018

Tucson

Tucson with dct accelerates very slowly after coming to a stop, basically unresponsive for a couple seconds. This happens all the time in city driving no matter what direction I go after the stop. I noticed this vehicle stays in 2nd gear unless it comes to a complete stop for a full second. Anything less than that and the car stays in 2nd gear and then lags and stutters when the accelerator is pressed. I don't know for sure but a vehicle that doesn't downshift to 1st gear when basically stopped might be an issue.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Jul 282018

Tucson

The contact owns a 2017 Hyundai Tucson. The contact called on behalf of the driver. While driving at an unknown speed, the transmission went into neutral, the check engine indicator inadvertently illuminated, and the vehicle decelerated. The vehicle was taken to bay Hyundai (located at 641 w 15th St, panama city, fl 32401, (877) 461-4473) for diagnostic testing, but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Sep 082017

Tucson

The contact owns a 2017 Hyundai Tucson. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced unintended acceleration without warning. The vehicle was taken to patrick Hyundai (located at 1020 E golf rd #1, schamburg, il), but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and did not assist. The failure mileage was approximately 10.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Aug 172018

Tucson

My car is delayed in acceleration and seems to have trouble shifting geers

- Melbourn, FL, USA

Jul 242018

Tucson

I have been experiencing a lack of acceleration numerous times as I'm trying to merge into traffic on the highway and also as I try to accelerate from a stationary position waiting for a light and changing lanes also. Three months ago I took the car to the dealer and I told them of this problem and they said they will check it. When I picked up the car I was told that a reset was done to the computer to correct this issue. It is still happening. I have been in close calls numerous times and I don't feel safe for myself or others on the road because of this condition. I will be taking the SUV to dealer again this weekend to have them check it again. I hope that a recall happens before someone has a fatal accident because of this issue. SUV has 19500 miles.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 062018

Tucson

While vehicle is being driven, in motion on a street and needing to accelerate, especially when making a turn, often the accelerator pedal will seem to stall or falter when being depressed, causing the vehicle to slow, then the pedal continues downward and the vehicle lurches forward. Hyundai service advisor on July 6, 2018 politely said "all Tucson turbo models do this, no problem". to me this is scary. Does NHTSA think likewise and could there be a safety issue?

- Hyde Park, UT, USA

May 042018

Tucson

My Hyundai Tucson car hesitate to start from the signal light. I.e it took around 2 to 3 seconds to accelerate [I end up in applying gas pedal hardly to get the move from light ] and this had happened for 4 times so far from 2017 July to now. When I check with Hyundai service dealers on this problem, they said they have to check it completely and for that they would charge me for "vehicle inspection and diagnose" :(, I'm not ready to afford as this is not happening often.

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Jun 062018

Tucson

The contact owns a 2017 Hyundai Tucson. While driving 20 mph on a slight incline, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact stated that she had no control of the vehicle and there were no warning indicators illuminated. When the vehicle reached the bottom of the incline, it was able to accelerate. The contact stated that the failure occurred at least four times. The vehicle was towed to jack carroll's skagit Hyundai (1313 goldenrod rd, burlington, wa 98233, (360) 757-7057), but the failure could not be duplicated. The manufacturer provided case number: 11361069 and referred the contact to NHTSA. The approximate failure mileage was 22,000.

- Oak Harbor, WA, USA

May 292018

Tucson

2017 Hyundai Tucson 4700 miles on it on 5/29/18 on my way home from the hospital at a traffic light put my foot on the gas car failed to accelerate at a normal pace started very slow it happened at least seven more times on that day

- Phila, PA, USA

May 252018

Tucson

My Hyundai Tucson hesitates when trying to accelerate. It feels as though someone is holding down the brake as I am trying to hit the gas pedal. It is very scary because all of a sudden the car will get this burst of energy and accelerate forward. This has occurred on multiple occasions while trying to take a turn at an intersection or pulling out of my driveway. It is very frustrating that so many people are experiencing the same issue and Hyundai does not have a recall. I have spoken to the dealership about this when bringing my car in for regular maintenance visits and have been told they will look into it. I have had zero luck with issue being resolved.

- Chestnut Hill, MA, USA

May 212018

Tucson

My vehicle has a acceleration, hesitation problem. The vehicle is stopped and when I put my foot on the gas it doesn't move then after a few second shoots forward. Just missed hitting another car today on route 128. This is a on going problem. Sometimes when I'm driving the vehicle will all of a sudden speed up. I feel very unsafe.

- Hamilton, MA, USA

Sep 132017

Tucson

I have owned the Tucson since 1/25/17.there is a lag/surge issue when excelerating. Not all the time, but seems to be happening more lately. In hindsight this situation had happened but I thought it was just getting use to the new vehicle. When I brought it in for service I mentioned it on a couple of occasions. I was told it was due to the dual clutch and the vehicle was "operating as intended". I find that hard to believe that when you are sitting at a stop light and step on the gas when the light changes it lags then surges into the intersection. Or, stopped in traffic and when it is time to move forward, lag and surge almost hitting the vehicle in front of me. As well as merging onto a highway and lagging as traffic is coming at you at 65 mph and you are lagging and hoping not to be hit. I find it hard to believe that Hyundai wants their vehicles to be running in this manner. I have been in touch with Hyundai customer connect and they send me back to the dealership. When I first got on to your site there wasn't as many reports as there are today. This is a very dangerous situation and I don't want to be a statistic. I have owned several Hyundai's over the years but never their SUV. I am keeping a record or every time this happens.

- Clinton, MA, USA

Feb 092018

Tucson

After backing out of my garage, I left the car running in my driveway. The car was stationary in the driveway for about 5 minutes. After which time the car accelerated through my garage and hit me, pinning me against the wall of my garage for about 5 minutes. The acceleration then subsided and the car slightly backed up and remained stationary giving me enough room to wedge out between my car and the garage wall. I've been having intermittent issues with acceleration. At times the vehicle surges when I step on the accelerator and other times the rpms swing way up and the vehilce lags creating a dangerous situation when trying to change lanes on the highway at faster speeds.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Nov 172017

Tucson

I have taken my car to the dealership 4 times since the purchase of my vehicle in September for the same similar issues all resulting from the dual clutch transmission. The issues have ranged and started will check engine light coming on in November whereas car was running rough and delay in acceleration. They replaced a sensor. 3 days later check engine light came back on again causing low power they replaced engine harness. February again rough idle and car died multiple times while at light and/or parked causing to be restarted service department stated they were not able to duplicate but usual cause is due to dual clutch so they reset dual clutch adaptive valves. March 2nd while sitting in a parking lot in drive I pushed the gas pedal rpms reved to 3-4 and I could hear the engine as if I was driving whereas the car was not moving similar to if the car was in neutral. March 5th after not driving the car for the weekend I was stopped at a red light when the light turned green to make a left turn I accelerated and the car slows down causing cars behind me to slam on breaks to avoid rear ending me. Next day while driving through a residential area going around 10 miles per hour the car jeeves me foward and slows down to almost a dead stop. I took the vehicle back again we┐re again they said it can not be duplicated and they also stated the car is supposed to slow down when driving drastic speeds often. Almost causing accidents. There is no way myself or any of my children will be driving this car I am terrified of this vehicle and don┐T feel I should have to risk my families lives for someone to realize something is terribly wrong with my car.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Mar 082018

Tucson

Vehicle stutters/hesitates on take-off from start. Several near dangerous misses crossing and merging into traffic lanes. Have complained several times to corporate Hyundai to no avail. They claim issue is known and has to do with improper operation of dual/double clutch technology. Spoke also with technicians who indicate they are aware of issue, but can't do anything to remedy the dangers. Daughter drives this vehicle and has been in at least three near miss side collisions and several near stall outs on major roadway and intersections while either turning left or right at traffic lights. The last incident she was involved in had three family occupants in the vehicle who were witnesses to the failed acceleration/stalling/stuttering/jerking acceleration of the vehicle and were shocked it had happened to such a new vehicle. I have also had this vehicle in the same service shop that I purchased the Hyundai from on arapahoe road in centennial, Colorado, under the name of auto nation Hyundai. I have also driven the care on several occasions and can say it can be dangerous to drive in especially when attempting to pull out into oncoming traffic from a side road. We have attempted to work with Hyundai corporate on this issue and asked them to take the vehicle back, but they indicated it does not meet their lemon rules, nor has it been in the repair shop enough times to warrant a buy-back. Bottom line now is there's nothing for them to repair since they've indicated they have no fix for this issue, but do admit they are fully aware of the issue and still choose to nothing to remedy the dangers.

- Parker, CO, USA

Feb 252018

Tucson

The contact owns a 2017 Hyundai Tucson. On several occasions, while attempting to accelerate from a traffic light, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but failed to respond. Also, the rpms increased and the vehicle abruptly lunged forward. The vehicle was taken to henderson Hyundai superstore (460 N boulder hwy, henderson, nv 89015, (702) 565-1500) to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the vehicle operated as intended. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer informed the contact to have the vehicle diagnosed by another dealer. The approximate failure mileage was 2,200.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 112018

Tucson

Car will no longer accelerate over 60mph and when the car is in drive it sometimes will not accelerate for a couple of seconds from a complete stop

- Highland, IN, USA

Aug 202017

Tucson

Hesitation on acceleration, from a stop may accelerate or sit there. I see there are already 29 complaints of the same thing and in 2016 there were 108 complaints for the dry type dual clutch transmission (dct) application logic mine 1.6 turbo. Use sport mode not S fix nor solution. Recall #149 in 2016 fix? some one will die!

- The Villages, FL, USA

Aug 162017

Tucson

I experience hesitation from a stopped position, mostly when I am at a intersection trying to make a turn. I have gone to the dealership they rest I believe ta adaptives still having same problem. It's a little scary hoping that I don't get hit making a turn & the car hesitates. It has happened 5 times so far

- Frederick, MD, USA