9.2

$0

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Cherokee:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

Apr 112018

Cherokee Limited 2.7L

The car shut off/stalled 3 times today and I'm afraid to drive. I called 2 dealers. First one said they never heard of the problem. (Pants on fire) Second one told me it was low on oil. For sure I checked and car was almost out of oil. I have added oil and hopefully it will solve the problem. Will have an oil change next week.

Update from May 14, 2018: Dealer will have me bring the car in every 2 weeks and oil level will be recorded. I was told that Jeep / Chrysler is aware of the issue and if necessary they will replace the engine.

- Cyndy W., Rochester, US

Apr 232018

Cherokee Limited 2.4L

Stalling out with no warning in the middle of an intersection. No warning just shut entire car off and a message alert said to put the transmission in park then the desired gear. That's weird, considering that I was already in DRIVE...? The car would not restart for a few minutes then it ran fine. Thank God I didn't have my small kids with me. I pay $430 a month for a car to be reliable not to be scared to stall out at a busy intersection. Jeep needs to recall this! Not good at all!

- Stephanie S., Palmerton, PA, US

Mar 312018

Cherokee

I've started to experience this problem about a month ago where the car just shuts off and stalls while you're driving. It'll say 'put the car in park' and then to gear desired. We couldn't figure out what the problem was and Jeep wanted $129 just to look at the car. I started Googling and ended up on here where plenty of others were complaining about the same thing and I read paragraph after paragraph. I noticed a lot of people were being told that they just needed an oil change. My vehicle started doing this at 57% oil life so of course I didn't think I needed an oil change. But, being desperate I got an oil change before bringing it back to Jeep and paying the $129 so that they couldn't say the same thing to me. I mean it was really bad, it would turn off in my child's drop off line at school, in the middle of the road at a red light, in the parking lot of my job multiple times in a day. It has now been 6 days since my oil change and I think it's safe to say that unfortunately that was the problem. So we have to do oil changes frequently which you wouldn't think with a new car right? We just picked the wrong one. Anyway, NEVER going with jeep again. I really hope this helps someone out.

- South C., Tampa, FL, US

Jan 272018

Cherokee Lattitude 2.4L

A month or so ago I started my car w/ my auto start, waited a few minutes, hopped in my car and took off. Approx. 1 mile down the road I was preparing to stop at a red light when my car shut off and a warning ding alerted me to a message that told me to put my car in drive, which was perplexing, because my car was in drive. I placed the car in park and tried to restart it and I couldn't. I could hear my starter engaging, but nothing else. It even felt like my brake pedal was locked up. I tried a few more times to start it but it wouldn't. I let it sit for approx.10 minutes and it started back up like nothing had happened. I had no messages stored and no warning lights on.

I had the exact same issue happen again yesterday. I drove to my father's house after I was finally able to get my car started again and after telling him what had happened he remembered to tell me that he has noticed oil drips in his driveway (I'm the only one that ever parks there). When we checked my dip stick, there was barely enough oil to register. I have my oil changed regularly, no gauges have ever alerted me to needing an oil change or having low oil pressure.

I have an appointment to take my car in next week to the Jeep dealership, but he told me if they are not able to duplicate the issue, it's going to be difficult for them to diagnose the problem.

Update from Apr 10, 2018: After having had my car at the dealership all say, they suggested getting my oil changed. They said that when the car is low on oil (even though I've had no bells or whistles going off telling me their is an issue), the engine shuts off to avoid damage. The only issue I have with this, is that my oil was changed on Saturday. When I told him this, he said that perhaps the filter is loose or there is a "double gasket". I asked if they could check since it's there, he told me they could, but if that were the issue causing the engine to stall, that that would not be covered under warranty and I would essentially be paying for another oil change.

I think it's dangerous and negligible to design a vehicle where the fail safe is to protect the engine and not the occupants in and around the vehicle! I would much rather blow up my engine than be in an accident where myself & others could be hurt or much worse! It's absurd!

- Stacey W., Fitchburg, Ma, US

Jan 252017

Cherokee High Altitude 3.2L V6 With Elect Stop/S

In a parking lot this time, thankfully - turned off when I was doing about 15mph. Stopped it, put it in park, removed key - restarted just fine. Took to the dealership the next morning, was told again they couldn't duplicate the problem. This was a Wednesday, picked it up from them Friday morning, and it did the same thing the following day (will report as separate issue).

- shannynism, Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 202018

Cherokee Sport

2016 Jeep Cherokee died again on my way to work! I sat for 20 minutes before it would start again. I took it straight to the dealership, again. They can't figure it out and say they've never seen this before. I have filed complaints with safercar.gov. If enough people file a complaint, the Government will investigate the problem. Encourage all Jeep owners with this problem to file a complaint! Also, file complaints with NHTSA- 888-327-4236, FCA Customer Care-800-853-1403. Good Luck! Be Safe!

Jan 192018

Cherokee Sport

My 2016 Cherokee dies while I'm driving (city & highway ["dinged" but didn't die-I won't drive it on the highway]). It is frightening and potentially deadly. There is no pattern to when or why this happens. It happens repeatedly (7x) and the dealership cannot identify nor correct the problem. The computer doesn't register any codes and doesn't recognize that the vehicle has died. Nothing shows on the dashboard either when this happens. There is a "ding" and the car dies. I have been reading (online) many other identical accounts of this problem with others who own the 2015 & 2016 Cherokee models. My car is, yet again, at the dealership.This is a POTENTIALLY DEADLY SITUATION. I am afraid to drive this vehicle.

Jan 262018

Cherokee Sport

Just got my car back from the dealership yesterday & it died 2x tonight (26th).My car has died while I was driving 2 more times since then (which I won't enter again on this site-other things to do-total 7x) Unbelievable! This is such a dangerous situation and I can't get any solutions. I don't believe for a minute that Jeep doesn't know about this. How many deaths will it take before something is done???

The dealership has changed my oil (my last free one) & put 90 miles on my car trying to figure this out. I am to take my car in after 1000 miles to check the oil & see if it's burning oil. Hmmmm. I'm afraid to drive it!

File complaints to safercar.gov, NHTSA-888327-4238, FCA Customer Care-800-853-1403.

Oct 282016

Cherokee Sport

This was my original complaint to NHTSA on November 27, 2017. I PURCHASED THIS VEHICLE IN SEPTEMBER 2016 AND IT WAS SEEN IN THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT IN OCTOBER 2016 FOR A LOUD CLICK FROM THE BRAKE (TOLD THIS IS NORMAL) AND THE VEHICLE SHUTTING OFF DURING IDLE TWICE. AN UPDATE WAS DONE BUT THE ISSUE CONTINUED. NOVEMBER 2016 I BROUGHT THE VEHICLE IN BECAUSE THE BACK SEAT WOULD MOVE BACK AND FORTH IF SOMEONE WAS NOT SITTING IN IT (THEY HAD TO REPLACE THE WHOLE BACK SEAT) BUT AS I WAS DRIVING INTO THE SERVICE DOORS THE VEHICLE SKIPPED AND TRIED TO DIE WITH LIGHTS FLASHING ON THE DASH. SERVICE COULD NOT DUPLICATE. DECEMBER 2016 BROUGHT IN BECAUSE THE VEHICLE KEPT SKIPPING WHEN TRYING TO TAKE OFF FROM A STOP. ON TWO OCCASIONS IT COMPLETELY STALLED BUT SERVICE WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE. THE VEHICLE ALSO HAD ISSUES WITH SHIFTING TOO EARLY AT TIMES AND THEN SHIFTING WAS DELAYED OTHER TIMES. ONCE AGAIN ISSUE COULD NOT BE DUPLICATED. LATER IN DECEMBER I BROUGHT IT BACK AGAIN AND WAS TOLD THERE WAS POSSIBLY A FIX. JANUARY 2017 THE VEHICLE WAS BROUGHT BACK AGAIN DUE TO STALLING AND THE MULTI AIR ACTUATOR WAS REPLACED. THE ISSUE CONTINUED AS THE SERVICE MANAGER SEARCHED FOR AN ANSWER UNTIL I HAD ENOUGH IN OCTOBER 2017 WHEN IT CAME TO A STOP FOR NO REASON AND THE VEHICLE WOULD MAKE A TERRIBLE NOISE IN REVERSE AT TIMES. SERVICE ALONG WITH FCA ATTEMPTED TO FIX IT BUT COULD NOT DUPLICATE THE ISSUE. WHEN I GOT THE VEHICLE BACK IT IT ALWAYS SKIPS IN IDLE, MAKES A LAWN MOWER SOUND IN IDLE AND WHEN SHUTTING OFF MAKES A WHINING NOISE. I HAVE STOPPED DRIVING THE VEHICLE AND AM TRYING TO GET FCA TO DO THE RIGHT THING VIA GEORGIA'S LEMON LAW. I HAVE DONE MY DUE DILIGENCE FOLLOWING FCA'S REQUIRED STEPS AND THEY SAID THEY CANNOT DUPLICATE MY ISSUE BUT WOULD GIVE ME A GOOD FAITH PAYMENT FOR MY TIME. I HAVE ASKED TO TALK TO SUPERVISORS ETC BUT AM TOLD THAT IS NOT THEIR PROTOCOL AND THEY CLOSED MY CASE. THIS VEHICLE IS UNSAFE!

My update as of today: Since my previous complaint, 11048717 I was denied a buy back by FCA, LLC via first class mail stating I was not eligible under GA Lemon Law regardless of it being out of

service more than 30 days. Since this letter the vehicle has died 3 times while in motion and continues to skip along with a decrease in rpms while idling (observed my

dealership service). I also had smoke and a strong odor coming from the left front side of the vehicle with no reason as to why. This car is dangerous and I cannot believe there

has not been a total recall since it is shutting off while driving for so many people.

- Doris Meredith B., Clarkesville, US

Dec 212017

Cherokee Limited

Jeep Cherokee is in the shop now for stalling issue. Happens everyday on first drive of day and has only happened once late in the day when the car has been sitting for long time - weather is very cold, near freezing temps. The diagnostic thing does not show anything has occurred although it stops while I'm driving, usually after second or third slow down for turn. Completely shuts down and I have to coast to (hopefully) safety. So far they say they can't find anything. Mentioned my having a $250 fuel injection cleaning (and stated it is due - at 19,000 miles?!?!?!?). I have searched the internet and have only found that there is no regular maintenance involving fuel injection cleaning. I am certain this is a ripoff particularly at this mileage. I told them no, not doing it. Find out what is wrong because it is not the fuel injectors and if it is it is a warranty issue. We shall see but I have little to no confidence they will find and repair.

- fnorvell, Richardson, US

Nov 062017

Cherokee Limited 2.4L

2016 jeep Cherokee limited edition stalled for a total of 12 times this past week. made an appointment with the Jeep dealer and explained what happened (car stalls while driving). brought my vehicle into the dealership this morning. They said that I had little to no oil in the vehicle and that was the cause. I then said when I checked the oil last week it was at 32%. he promptly said those oil gauges are not that accurate at all. I then said well why didn't the check oil light come on? he said again those gauges are not that accurate. I then said, well how am I suppose to know when to change the oil. he said, look at the sticker in the window. At that point I almost lost it. I highly doubt any of this is true.

What will it take for jeep to realize this is a serious issue and someone can get killed.

- Steve L., Rochester, US

Nov 192017

Cherokee North 2.4L 4 cyl

Began as a normal shopping trip, start Jeep begin driving... roughly 3 blocks down the road the engine stalls without warning and I am scrambling to get pulled over. Alternator sounds as though it is running.

Having not expected this to happen I was not sure what to do. Attempting to turn over the motor and the starter engages but motor doesn’t turn over. No warning lights to indicate anything is wrong. Info center didn’t display any relevant information either. Called the wife let her know what is going on. Decided to try starting the Jeep one more time before calling AMA for a tow and it started.

Yay!

Not, there was no response from the throttle. It would attempt to stall out the motor but nothing else. After about 3-4 minutes of letting it run like this I decided to shut it off and start it again. This time things were ‘normal’ and I hesitantly carried on to finish my errands and return home. Paranoid the entire time that again without warning it would stall on me.

- Darcey N., Leduc, AB, Canada

Oct 022017

Cherokee Latitude

The 2016 Jeep Cherokee engine just stopped. At a light and it stalled and wouldn't start back up for 15 minutes. Once it did finally start back up, the A/C no longer worked. It would only blow hot air. This is a MAJOR safety issue. The dealership charges $175 just to look at it to tell you they don't know what the problem is. This needs to be recalled somehow.

- Zan B., Clarendon, US

Aug 042017

Cherokee Lattitude 2.4L

I've had the car in for service twice now for stalling while driving. Both times the dealer said it was due to low oil pressure. I have had the oil changed per schedule (even sooner). Car burned up to 3 qts of oil during last oil change. I've never had a car in my life burn that much oil. Even an old beater with a known oil leak. I now have to check every 1,000 miles and top off the oil.

This last event (August 4th), the wife was sitting at a stop sign. An instruction came on a said to put the car in park and back into gear. It did this twice and then stalled. Barely would re-start. Again, service department said low oil pressure after 4500 miles since last oil change.

- yergmit, Lindenhurst, US

Jul 092017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

This is the 3rd stall in a month; dangerous situation as not only did the car stall, but ALL the electrical died. I could not operate the windows, the assist button, the a/c, the radio. Nada. Dead as a doornail. Past stalls I was able to reset, not this time. Called roadside assistance. TOOK THEM TWO HOURS TO PROVIDE ME A TOW. once car was at dealership, wrecker guy was able to restart it. Really? GRRRRRRR Next day service COULD NOT VERIFY THE PROBLEM AND SENT ME HOME WITH MY CAR. it happened a fourth time, still without resolution because diagnostics do not indicate any failure. SERIOULSLY? I have filed an escalated complaint through Chrysler, and am waiting to talk with the local rep. My local dealership has literally stated THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO REPAIR MY CAR. WHAT A PIECE OF SH*T. Chryslers failure to remediate the issues with the Cherokee are UNCONSCIENABLE!

Jun 172017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Stopped to make a turn. Car stalled out. Rolled to side of road and was able to restart.

Jun 022017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Car stalls with no rhyme or reason. Coasted to breakdown lane, placed into park and restarted. Has happened three times within 5 miles from home and one time on the interstate while towing. Jeep service CANNOT FIND THE PROBLEM, SO UNABLE TO REPAIR EVENTHOUGH THEY HAVE DUPLICATED THE ISSUE. This is the 3rd significant problem with a car $40k car that is less than a year old and under 15K miles. Chrysler Jeep sucks. They won't be getting me as a repeat customer if I can manage to dump this lemon.

Jun 202017

Cherokee 2.4L

Purchased my 2016 Jeep Cherokee in Oct. 2016. On my way to work one morning I was two blocks from home and turning on a major street when my vehicle just turned off. I was able to coast into a parking lot right by the corner. There was no warning sign or anything, no message no ding nothing! I go to restart it and it just sits there and hesitates. I waited about 5 minutes and it started up and so I made my way to work.

I called the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and told them what had happened, and made an appointment to bring it in two days later. When I dropped it off the service attendant said it may be leaking oil or burning oil. I asked how could that be, it only has 13,000 miles on it. I left the vehicle for an oil change, tire rotation and to find out why it just turned off while turning a corner. The service people at the dealership told me that the reason it turned off is it was low on oil and they checked the owners manual and told me it's a normal thing for 2.4L and that you have to check your oil every 700 miles and add when low.

Why the heck is it losing or burning oil at 13,000 miles. Not acceptable!!

Update from Jul 6, 2017: took to dealership for issue, oil change, tire rotation. They told me it was low on oil. Had no indication that it was low on oil. and why would it be burning oil with that low of miles or leaking for that matter.

- Tommi N., Lansing, MI, US

May 082017

Cherokee Sport Altitude 2.4

I purchased my 2016 Jeep Cherokee Sport Altitude new from a Jeep dealership in San Diego,CA area in June 2016.

Replacing the worst Jeep 2015 Renegade (jerking gears) but now after a year I heard a ding, and lost power to the entire vehicle going from normal mileage speed down to no acceleration whatsoever. During this time, my speedometer went down to zero, I had no control over the steering wheel (it locked up) and no power to turn on hazards or anything to let other motorists know I was stuck and unable to move. The display dash of the vehicle says "Shift to P then desired gear."

I send the car to check and the dealer inform me that the motor of my car have no oil and the message was to protect the motor, but i say how that has been possible if have a leak ? and the dealer comments that's normal in this car...

- mariob004, El Centro, CA, USA

May 292017

Cherokee Latitude

I am having a serious issue with my 2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude. It is quite persistent.

When car is cold to moderately warm, the car will stall when driving, making a turn or braking to a near stop. The entire system shuts down. The problem is usually remedied by a restart. This can happen 2-3 times when beginning a morning trip and is quite frustrating and obviously dangerous if this were to happen somewhere that I was unable to pull over safely.

When restarting, it sometimes takes up to 10 seconds for the engine to turn over.

Once the car is warm past 2-3 bars (dont know exact temp.), this problem does not exist.

I believe this below link to be the problem as a service manager at my dealership in confidence told me that was what it was, but that it is not being recalled, which is appalling to me. What is frustrating is that there is NOTHING on the web to back my claim in 2016 Jeeps. I cant be the only one.... Anyone out there having this issue? Solutions?

- Josh G., Bellevue, WA, US