9.5

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Cherokee:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

Jan 202018

Cherokee Sport

2016 Jeep Cherokee died again on my way to work! I sat for 20 minutes before it would start again. I took it straight to the dealership, again. They can't figure it out and say they've never seen this before. I have filed complaints with safercar.gov. If enough people file a complaint, the Government will investigate the problem. Encourage all Jeep owners with this problem to file a complaint! Also, file complaints with NHTSA- 888-327-4236, FCA Customer Care-800-853-1403. Good Luck! Be Safe!

Jan 192018

Cherokee Sport

My 2016 Cherokee dies while I'm driving (city & highway ["dinged" but didn't die-I won't drive it on the highway]). It is frightening and potentially deadly. There is no pattern to when or why this happens. It happens repeatedly (7x) and the dealership cannot identify nor correct the problem. The computer doesn't register any codes and doesn't recognize that the vehicle has died. Nothing shows on the dashboard either when this happens. There is a "ding" and the car dies. I have been reading (online) many other identical accounts of this problem with others who own the 2015 & 2016 Cherokee models. My car is, yet again, at the dealership.This is a POTENTIALLY DEADLY SITUATION. I am afraid to drive this vehicle.

Jan 262018

Cherokee Sport

Just got my car back from the dealership yesterday & it died 2x tonight (26th).My car has died while I was driving 2 more times since then (which I won't enter again on this site-other things to do-total 7x) Unbelievable! This is such a dangerous situation and I can't get any solutions. I don't believe for a minute that Jeep doesn't know about this. How many deaths will it take before something is done???

The dealership has changed my oil (my last free one) & put 90 miles on my car trying to figure this out. I am to take my car in after 1000 miles to check the oil & see if it's burning oil. Hmmmm. I'm afraid to drive it!

File complaints to safercar.gov, NHTSA-888327-4238, FCA Customer Care-800-853-1403.

Oct 282016

Cherokee Sport

This was my original complaint to NHTSA on November 27, 2017. I PURCHASED THIS VEHICLE IN SEPTEMBER 2016 AND IT WAS SEEN IN THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT IN OCTOBER 2016 FOR A LOUD CLICK FROM THE BRAKE (TOLD THIS IS NORMAL) AND THE VEHICLE SHUTTING OFF DURING IDLE TWICE. AN UPDATE WAS DONE BUT THE ISSUE CONTINUED. NOVEMBER 2016 I BROUGHT THE VEHICLE IN BECAUSE THE BACK SEAT WOULD MOVE BACK AND FORTH IF SOMEONE WAS NOT SITTING IN IT (THEY HAD TO REPLACE THE WHOLE BACK SEAT) BUT AS I WAS DRIVING INTO THE SERVICE DOORS THE VEHICLE SKIPPED AND TRIED TO DIE WITH LIGHTS FLASHING ON THE DASH. SERVICE COULD NOT DUPLICATE. DECEMBER 2016 BROUGHT IN BECAUSE THE VEHICLE KEPT SKIPPING WHEN TRYING TO TAKE OFF FROM A STOP. ON TWO OCCASIONS IT COMPLETELY STALLED BUT SERVICE WAS UNABLE TO DUPLICATE. THE VEHICLE ALSO HAD ISSUES WITH SHIFTING TOO EARLY AT TIMES AND THEN SHIFTING WAS DELAYED OTHER TIMES. ONCE AGAIN ISSUE COULD NOT BE DUPLICATED. LATER IN DECEMBER I BROUGHT IT BACK AGAIN AND WAS TOLD THERE WAS POSSIBLY A FIX. JANUARY 2017 THE VEHICLE WAS BROUGHT BACK AGAIN DUE TO STALLING AND THE MULTI AIR ACTUATOR WAS REPLACED. THE ISSUE CONTINUED AS THE SERVICE MANAGER SEARCHED FOR AN ANSWER UNTIL I HAD ENOUGH IN OCTOBER 2017 WHEN IT CAME TO A STOP FOR NO REASON AND THE VEHICLE WOULD MAKE A TERRIBLE NOISE IN REVERSE AT TIMES. SERVICE ALONG WITH FCA ATTEMPTED TO FIX IT BUT COULD NOT DUPLICATE THE ISSUE. WHEN I GOT THE VEHICLE BACK IT IT ALWAYS SKIPS IN IDLE, MAKES A LAWN MOWER SOUND IN IDLE AND WHEN SHUTTING OFF MAKES A WHINING NOISE. I HAVE STOPPED DRIVING THE VEHICLE AND AM TRYING TO GET FCA TO DO THE RIGHT THING VIA GEORGIA'S LEMON LAW. I HAVE DONE MY DUE DILIGENCE FOLLOWING FCA'S REQUIRED STEPS AND THEY SAID THEY CANNOT DUPLICATE MY ISSUE BUT WOULD GIVE ME A GOOD FAITH PAYMENT FOR MY TIME. I HAVE ASKED TO TALK TO SUPERVISORS ETC BUT AM TOLD THAT IS NOT THEIR PROTOCOL AND THEY CLOSED MY CASE. THIS VEHICLE IS UNSAFE!

My update as of today: Since my previous complaint, 11048717 I was denied a buy back by FCA, LLC via first class mail stating I was not eligible under GA Lemon Law regardless of it being out of

service more than 30 days. Since this letter the vehicle has died 3 times while in motion and continues to skip along with a decrease in rpms while idling (observed my

dealership service). I also had smoke and a strong odor coming from the left front side of the vehicle with no reason as to why. This car is dangerous and I cannot believe there

has not been a total recall since it is shutting off while driving for so many people.

- , Clarkesville, US

Dec 212017

Cherokee Limited

Jeep Cherokee is in the shop now for stalling issue. Happens everyday on first drive of day and has only happened once late in the day when the car has been sitting for long time - weather is very cold, near freezing temps. The diagnostic thing does not show anything has occurred although it stops while I'm driving, usually after second or third slow down for turn. Completely shuts down and I have to coast to (hopefully) safety. So far they say they can't find anything. Mentioned my having a $250 fuel injection cleaning (and stated it is due - at 19,000 miles?!?!?!?). I have searched the internet and have only found that there is no regular maintenance involving fuel injection cleaning. I am certain this is a ripoff particularly at this mileage. I told them no, not doing it. Find out what is wrong because it is not the fuel injectors and if it is it is a warranty issue. We shall see but I have little to no confidence they will find and repair.

- , Richardson, US

Nov 062017

Cherokee Limited 2.4L

2016 jeep Cherokee limited edition stalled for a total of 12 times this past week. made an appointment with the Jeep dealer and explained what happened (car stalls while driving). brought my vehicle into the dealership this morning. They said that I had little to no oil in the vehicle and that was the cause. I then said when I checked the oil last week it was at 32%. he promptly said those oil gauges are not that accurate at all. I then said well why didn't the check oil light come on? he said again those gauges are not that accurate. I then said, well how am I suppose to know when to change the oil. he said, look at the sticker in the window. At that point I almost lost it. I highly doubt any of this is true.

What will it take for jeep to realize this is a serious issue and someone can get killed.

- , Rochester, US

Nov 192017

Cherokee North 2.4L 4 cyl

Began as a normal shopping trip, start Jeep begin driving... roughly 3 blocks down the road the engine stalls without warning and I am scrambling to get pulled over. Alternator sounds as though it is running.

Having not expected this to happen I was not sure what to do. Attempting to turn over the motor and the starter engages but motor doesn’t turn over. No warning lights to indicate anything is wrong. Info center didn’t display any relevant information either. Called the wife let her know what is going on. Decided to try starting the Jeep one more time before calling AMA for a tow and it started.

Yay!

Not, there was no response from the throttle. It would attempt to stall out the motor but nothing else. After about 3-4 minutes of letting it run like this I decided to shut it off and start it again. This time things were ‘normal’ and I hesitantly carried on to finish my errands and return home. Paranoid the entire time that again without warning it would stall on me.

- , Leduc, AB, Canada

Oct 022017

Cherokee Latitude

The 2016 Jeep Cherokee engine just stopped. At a light and it stalled and wouldn't start back up for 15 minutes. Once it did finally start back up, the A/C no longer worked. It would only blow hot air. This is a MAJOR safety issue. The dealership charges $175 just to look at it to tell you they don't know what the problem is. This needs to be recalled somehow.

- , Clarendon, US

Aug 042017

Cherokee Lattitude 2.4L

I've had the car in for service twice now for stalling while driving. Both times the dealer said it was due to low oil pressure. I have had the oil changed per schedule (even sooner). Car burned up to 3 qts of oil during last oil change. I've never had a car in my life burn that much oil. Even an old beater with a known oil leak. I now have to check every 1,000 miles and top off the oil.

This last event (August 4th), the wife was sitting at a stop sign. An instruction came on a said to put the car in park and back into gear. It did this twice and then stalled. Barely would re-start. Again, service department said low oil pressure after 4500 miles since last oil change.

- , Lindenhurst, US

Jul 092017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

This is the 3rd stall in a month; dangerous situation as not only did the car stall, but ALL the electrical died. I could not operate the windows, the assist button, the a/c, the radio. Nada. Dead as a doornail. Past stalls I was able to reset, not this time. Called roadside assistance. TOOK THEM TWO HOURS TO PROVIDE ME A TOW. once car was at dealership, wrecker guy was able to restart it. Really? GRRRRRRR Next day service COULD NOT VERIFY THE PROBLEM AND SENT ME HOME WITH MY CAR. it happened a fourth time, still without resolution because diagnostics do not indicate any failure. SERIOULSLY? I have filed an escalated complaint through Chrysler, and am waiting to talk with the local rep. My local dealership has literally stated THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO REPAIR MY CAR. WHAT A PIECE OF SH*T. Chryslers failure to remediate the issues with the Cherokee are UNCONSCIENABLE!

Jun 172017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Stopped to make a turn. Car stalled out. Rolled to side of road and was able to restart.

Jun 022017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Car stalls with no rhyme or reason. Coasted to breakdown lane, placed into park and restarted. Has happened three times within 5 miles from home and one time on the interstate while towing. Jeep service CANNOT FIND THE PROBLEM, SO UNABLE TO REPAIR EVENTHOUGH THEY HAVE DUPLICATED THE ISSUE. This is the 3rd significant problem with a car $40k car that is less than a year old and under 15K miles. Chrysler Jeep sucks. They won't be getting me as a repeat customer if I can manage to dump this lemon.

Jun 202017

Cherokee 2.4L

Purchased my 2016 Jeep Cherokee in Oct. 2016. On my way to work one morning I was two blocks from home and turning on a major street when my vehicle just turned off. I was able to coast into a parking lot right by the corner. There was no warning sign or anything, no message no ding nothing! I go to restart it and it just sits there and hesitates. I waited about 5 minutes and it started up and so I made my way to work.

I called the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and told them what had happened, and made an appointment to bring it in two days later. When I dropped it off the service attendant said it may be leaking oil or burning oil. I asked how could that be, it only has 13,000 miles on it. I left the vehicle for an oil change, tire rotation and to find out why it just turned off while turning a corner. The service people at the dealership told me that the reason it turned off is it was low on oil and they checked the owners manual and told me it's a normal thing for 2.4L and that you have to check your oil every 700 miles and add when low.

Why the heck is it losing or burning oil at 13,000 miles. Not acceptable!!

Update from Jul 6, 2017: took to dealership for issue, oil change, tire rotation. They told me it was low on oil. Had no indication that it was low on oil. and why would it be burning oil with that low of miles or leaking for that matter.

- , Lansing, MI, US

May 082017

Cherokee Sport Altitude 2.4

I purchased my 2016 Jeep Cherokee Sport Altitude new from a Jeep dealership in San Diego,CA area in June 2016.

Replacing the worst Jeep 2015 Renegade (jerking gears) but now after a year I heard a ding, and lost power to the entire vehicle going from normal mileage speed down to no acceleration whatsoever. During this time, my speedometer went down to zero, I had no control over the steering wheel (it locked up) and no power to turn on hazards or anything to let other motorists know I was stuck and unable to move. The display dash of the vehicle says "Shift to P then desired gear."

I send the car to check and the dealer inform me that the motor of my car have no oil and the message was to protect the motor, but i say how that has been possible if have a leak ? and the dealer comments that's normal in this car...

- , El Centro, CA, USA

May 292017

Cherokee Latitude

I am having a serious issue with my 2016 Jeep Cherokee Latitude. It is quite persistent.

When car is cold to moderately warm, the car will stall when driving, making a turn or braking to a near stop. The entire system shuts down. The problem is usually remedied by a restart. This can happen 2-3 times when beginning a morning trip and is quite frustrating and obviously dangerous if this were to happen somewhere that I was unable to pull over safely.

When restarting, it sometimes takes up to 10 seconds for the engine to turn over.

Once the car is warm past 2-3 bars (dont know exact temp.), this problem does not exist.

I believe this below link to be the problem as a service manager at my dealership in confidence told me that was what it was, but that it is not being recalled, which is appalling to me. What is frustrating is that there is NOTHING on the web to back my claim in 2016 Jeeps. I cant be the only one.... Anyone out there having this issue? Solutions?

- , Bellevue, WA, US

Mar 152017

Cherokee

The damn jeep has lost power and died while driving 4x now. It is either when pulling away from a stop or coming to a stop. I have pulled off to the side of the road, had to turn it completely off and than restart it (which it takes 45+ seconds to restart and sounds like it is not going to at all. brought it to the jeep dealer to have looked at and they said nothing was wrong, did a software update and hoped it would fix it. On my way to work the next day it did it again on the highway in rush hour traffic. If nothing was wrong I shouldn't be stranded on the side of the road in rush hour traffic. If this happens in the wrong place it could cause an accident! Worst car I have ever owned, never thought I would want to trade off my brand new Jeep in less then a year.

- , Omaha, US

Feb 212017

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

click to see larger images

engine stalls/shuts off while driving engine stalls/shuts off while driving engine stalls/shuts off while driving

My 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Latitude has almost 11,000 miles on it. The problem started occurring right around 10,500 miles on the vehicle. I was taking my 7 YEAR OLD SON to school and made a turn in traffic when I heard a ding, and lost power to the entire vehicle going from normal mileage speed down to no acceleration whatsoever. During this time, my speedometer went down to zero, I had no control over the steering wheel (it locked up) and no power to turn on hazards or anything to let other motorists know I was stuck and unable to move. The display dash of the vehicle says "Shift to P then desired gear." (Because when you are stuck in the middle of the road you have all kinds of time to do this before someone smashes into you when they are not paying attention). So, I shift to P, turn off the vehicle and restart it. It hesitates to start back up, but eventually does. This is the first occurrence of this instance, so I call the dealer. What do you think they say? Software updates to the TPM/modules - whatever. Go home, no problems....two weeks later...does it again same spot....and again the next day different spot. Take it back, same deal, another software update. LITERALLY LESS THAN 24 hours later...stalls out again 4+ times...now happened TWO times in one day. IN TRAFFIC, WITH A 7 YEAR OLD CHILD in the CAR. I have yet another appointment coming up. This is UNSAFE, UNRELIABLE, and no one should have to wait for a software update to come out to feel safe in their car. We purchase newer vehicles with the intention of them being safe to drive not to have constant unresolved issues. This is becoming a hazard to my safety, and the next thing you know, someone will be killed or seriously injured from this problem.

- , Dayton, OH, US

Jan 142017

Cherokee High Altitude 3.2L V6 With Elect Stop/S

I purchased my Jeep on a Thursday night. Saturday morning, 1/14, I was doing about 50mph and it turned off with no warning. The stop/start thing at red lights freaks me out, so when I turn my Jeep on, I disable the feature. I could not accelerate, but thankfully could still brake and steer. I pulled into a neighborhood, put it in park, removed the key. Put it back in and it started up normally. Texted the salesman and told him what happened, and we decided I wouldn't bring it in because maybe it was just some weird fluke thing. No lights or anything, and no hesitation on the restart.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 282017

Cherokee High Altitude 3.2L V6 With Elect Stop/S

Crossing through an intersection to get on the freeway, probably doing 35-40mph. Shut off with a large SUV behind me. Had to put it in park, remove and re-insert key to get moving again. Took back to the dealership that day (Saturday), got a call this morning (Thursday) that again, they can't replicate the problem after driving it for three days so I need to come pick it up. They said there were no codes thrown and no history of there being a problem, even after contacting Chrysler tech support. All wiring is secure, battery is fine, blah blah.

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 152016

Cherokee Trailhawk

Purchased a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk in Feb 2016, currently only have 2150k miles on it in Aug 2016, that will tell you how much she is babied.

Well, after coming back from a trip, driving through the mountains, going down hill at 74 mph (80mph speed limit), the engine stuttered, and shut off completely with my husband and 2 small children in the car. Mind you, again, we were going downhill at 74mph through the mountains. We were exceptionally lucky that the Cherokee stopped on the side of the interstate without incident with any other drivers or mountain sides. Purely terrifying in every way! Called for roadside assistance through the jeep, tow finally came after almost 5 hours in the heat and sun, hubby and I had severe sun burns from the mid day sun. And the roadside assistance gave the tow company the wrong area we were in as well. Morons! In the meantime of course we tried start it, and every damn warning light came on, and the steering wheel locked up, then released after sometime. It's only been sitting at the dealership for about just over a day and a half, they haven't even looked at it. So, an update on the status of the condition of the 2016 jeep Cherokee trailhawk with only 2150k (not a typo, actual mileage) miles on it will be coming soon.

- , Great Falls, MT, USA