3.5

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Compass:

Jul 012019

Compass

My vehicle was being driven down a highway and was pulled over in the early morning by a state trooper. The officer came up to the vehicle and stated that there was no tail lights. We were giving a warning and was told to get it fixed and we were on our way again. Since then still haven't come up with a solution to fix it. All other lights like head lights, reverse lights, turn signals, brakes lights and bright lights all work just not the tail lights. I believe that it is something with the tipm because I ran a diagnostic on it and was given a code which also stated the tipm reading is low. It has not been repaired yet due to how much it coasts to get it repaired.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Jun 212019

Compass

I have driven this vehicle for 3 years with no issues until recently. I take care of it and maintenance it regularly. Around April 29th I felt some steering issues and brought it in to Firestone who told me it needed to be taken to the dealership. At the dealership, they replaced an ABS sensor and a few tire sensors. Since then on multiple occasions the vehicle has randomly and intermittently stalled while driving. I can be driving at any speed and the vehicle will randomly lose acceleration, power steering, and brakes. It has happened after a turn, while just going straight at 45 mph, while in stop-and-go traffic, and when trying to accelerate after sitting at a red light. There is no rhyme or reason. The ignition has to be turned off and turned back on to restart the vehicle. I have nearly caused a collision twice. I brought it to the dealership on June 22nd and they had my car until June 25th. They replaced the crankshaft position carriage, and some frayed wiring. The issue happened 3 more times after those repairs. I had it towed to the dealership on June 27th and it is still in the shop (today is July 2nd). They are telling me they cannot recreate the problem and want me to take the vehicle back without doing any repairs. I am now working with the GM and cfo of the dealership to try and resolve this and I have filed a complaint with Chrysler (case #59096741). I do not feel safe driving the vehicle and I refuse to put my children in it. All service records that I have are inside the vehicle at the dealership.

- Lakewood Ranch, FL, USA

Jun 102019

Compass

Vehicle will without warning stall in the middle of driving, in city traffic, on country roads, starting up a hill as well as driving on flat straight road. I've been driving 55mph, 45 mph 25 mph and it will stall, the traction control light will come on. Sometimes the car will not restart for 10+ minutes after stalling. Each time I was driving in traffic, and had children in the vehicle with people behind me. Engine just cuts all power, power steering is lost. Also have noticed a huge drop in fuel efficiency, used about 1/4 of a tank in 30 miles, acceleration and vehicle not shifting normally. This is the 6th time in two weeks it has stalled, and 2nd time to take it into the dealership with this issue. I've only had about 6 months, it was cpo and have driven it about 10,000 miles

- Columbus, PA, USA

Dec 152018

Compass

My car has not been starting up. The car would sit for 5 minutes at the least and would not start up right away. I was told it could be one of my sensors so I changed the crankshaft sensor but am still having the same problems but worse. It makes a clicking noise like it's trying to start but wonżT and the lights flicker, everything resets but doesnżT turn on. Now it does this any time I try to start the car. At some points the lights would go off in its own and coke back on or just flicker after it has been started. If and when I can finally get it started, when I press the gas to accelerate or going up a hill, it hesitates and pulls back hard. I then came across this particular recall on my exact vehicle and wondered if maybe this is the same issue causing the same problems. This has been going on for a few months now.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 102019

Compass 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Compass. While driving various speeds, the check engine and traction control warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000. Consumer had it repair.

- Commodore, PA, USA

Jan 132019

Compass

Car stalls for no reason while driving. The VIN shows no recalls, but Chrysler recalled vehicles for this problem in Dec. 16, 2016 ( recall 16V907000), including 2016 Jeep Compass. Has happened multiple times over the past month.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 192018

Compass

Key will not turn. Stationary, turn steering wheel and key will turn. One time refused to turn. Had car towed.

- Avon, IN, USA

Oct 052018

Compass

My vehicle is stalling and jerking when IżM driving no indicator lights are on.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

May 142018

Compass

I have to wait between 10 to 30 mins before I can try to start my car and also it will start with the remote but when you go out the key in it turns off and I would have wait longer for it to start by key I haven't had my Jeep that long I only had it four months and now I am having problems with

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Feb 152018

Compass

Since beginning of 2018 my Jeep has stalled while the car was in motion and I was driving. I brought it to dealer on 2/15/18. Dealer says it could be from low oil. When he checked the oil the oil level was good and clean. He recommended to change the oil anyway. Which I did. Again Jeep stalled 2 times while in motion and I was driving. On the dashboard the word ESC appears and after I restart the engine it disappears. I have not seen a pattern wether it be my speed, turning or stopping at a light. Went back to dealership on 4/9/2018. Service manager checked car by plugging it in for diagnostic test. Only stored codes appeared. No code to show problem. I was told I have to wait about month for a loaner in order to leave the car at the dealership for further review. Driving this Jeep is very concerning to me. I never know when and at what speed and if it will turn over.

- Rockville Centre, NY, USA

Apr 022016

Compass

Takata recall. At random moments without hitting the wipper switch at all the windshield wipers will come on. This has happened multiple times. Sometimes if I turn my blinker on which is a opposite stick they will activate. When this does happen my lights will flicker very briefly. I have had no kind of alterations done to the vehicle cosmetic or electrical so I have no clue what is causing this. And yes every time it happens it's while the vic is in motion.

- Fort Drum, NY, USA

Jan 032017

Compass

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Compass. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V609000 (electrical system). The part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Huntington Station, NY, USA

Jan 202017

Compass

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Compass. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The instrument panel failed to illuminate. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence and towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the camshaft sensor failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V907000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,600.

- 7872029306, PR, USA