3.7

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Compass:

Jul 142019

Compass

About 3 weeks ago my car started stalling out on me out of nowhere, I took it to a mechanic so they could try to diagnose the problem, they thought it was the battery so I bought a new one( $183). 2 days later the car started stalling out on me again while driving on the freeway a cop had to push my car out of the way because I was blocking traffic and in an unsafe location, I had to get it towed ($80) & took it to a different mechanic to diagnose the problem ($198) they said my car had a safety recall due to the crankshaft/camshaft sensor they recommended that I should take it to the dealership because that is the manufacturers fault and Chrysler will fix it for free. When I went to the dealership they said my car does not qualify and that I would have to rediagnose my car for $200 and pay $540 for them to fix this issue which I am not at fault for. I asked if I would be able to get a rental through them they said I would have to pay out of pocket for it. I started a case with Chrysler on 07/29 and am still waiting on the specialist to review this. I am frustrated. Every day that goes by is another day that I have to figure out how to get to work whether it be asking for a ride or paying for a rental out of pocket. I would understand if I got in a wreck and the sensor messed up I would pay for it myself no questions asked. All IżM asking is for Chrysler to honor the safety recall and fix this issue. If you were in the same position IżM sure you would be stressed out as well. The car is not safe and has left me stranded while I was driving, now 4 times. My car is 2016 there is no reason this should be happening!!!! also, I have kept all receipt and would like to be reimbursed for the headache & unnecessary charges that this has caused me.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Jul 302019

Compass

While getting onto a highway, my rpms dropped and I temporarily lost power steering and started slowing down, then it "caught" and I was able to drive it straight to a car place to get the free diagnostics. Everything came back normal so I left. Later in the day as I was pulling out of my neighborhood it stalled again and completely shut off this time. When trying to turn it on again it either would but then would immediately stall again or it would just never start. While trying to turn it on, all the dash lights light up including check engine, which has not been on until the car stalled the second time.

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Mar 202019

Compass

My car suddenly stalled and caused my wheel to lock up. My car would not accelerate until I shut the car off and then turned it back

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 262016

Compass

Severe tire wear on Jeep Compass on 05/12/16 I took a rental car (Jeep Compass, mileage: 10417) in las vegas. On 05/26/16, just as we had passed the mountain routes from durango to ouray, I discovered by chance that both front tires were completely worn out on the inside (see photos). I did not discover it earlier, because the tire tread was O.K. on the outside and the body hided the rest of the tire. Then I drove very slowly. Soon after came the warning light for the tire pressure: The left front tire lost pressure (mileage approximately: 12250). I changed the wheel and was hoping that the right tire held air to the nearest town. We reached the town without further problem. As I brought the car to the tire shop, they told me, that the toe was completely wrong and that wheel alignment would be necessary (see alignment report). Summary: The cause of this symmetric tire wear is mysterious: The car had relatively few miles and there was no event (such as an impact to the wheels), that possibly could have changed the toe. Nevertheless I think, the car was not roadworthy and I'm glad I noticed the problem before it came to an accident. I send this report from germany. As it is not possible to fill in this country and my telephone number, I give you the state and phone number of the rental car company.

- Mainz, NV, USA

Jan 132016

Compass

While at milosch palace Chrysler Jeep dealership in lake orion I noticed the power steering return hose was contacting the front suspension sway bar at stationary curb condition. This is a design violation which I told fca about when I worked there in 2014. The issue has existed now from July of 2014 until now. The hose can wear a hole in it due to a 2 inch rubbing interference with suspension movement and the vehicle will lose steering assist and power steering fluid can spray in the exhaust system causing a fire.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA