8.0

$2,860

Most common solutions:

2. TIPM needs replacing (5 reports)
  3. new computer (pcm) (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

Nov 172018

Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.7L V8

I pressed the button to start, and it just clicks and when I take finger off it keeps running for a couple off seconds on its own. The whole dashboard lights up but no turnover doesn't start. Few minutes later I start it up and its fine.

A week later Thanksgiving I'm at work....vehicle is parked...I start it up it won't turn over and the pedal won't give...I pull my finger of the start button and it click...click by itself then stops seconds later. I wait a couple of minutes it starts right up.

I brought a new battery last week thought that might help I see it didn't I notice a recall for an alternator issue and a couple of my friends got theirs done...my VIN number didn't get the recall, which I don't understand the 2011-2014 had a recall but its weird cause my VIN Number wasn't among them but yet has the same issues my buddies, whom both have 2014 Grand Jeep Cherokee's

- vincible52, Central Islip, US

Aug 302018

Grand Cherokee Laredo X 5.7L

I have a JGC that has 70,300 miles on it. It's had problems over the years where it will turn over and not start, but it always starts within a few tries. NOW, with just over 70,000 miles it's happening all the time. I researched the problem and found that there was a recall (R09) to address a faulty TIPM module and that if it fails it would be taken care of by Chrysler/Jeep. I took it in to the dealer and they couldn't get it to happen of course. They suggested that I call Chrysler.

Long story short, CHRYSLER CARE DOESN'T CARE!!!

I've called and spoken the Renee, Deborah, Jermaine and Susan. Everyone of them sounded like they had a second grade education, barely could understand what my problem was and the last person I talked to asked me to hold while they escalated my problem to manager. So, I wait and wait and wait only to have a new person answer who sounded intelligent ask if she could help me. Wow....I may have a shot at getting this resolved!!

Turns out that Jermaine called the dealership and and transferred me to them without telling me. The dealership were the ones who suggested I call Chrysler Care because they can't help me!!!

I will NEVER buy another Jeep as long as I live and Chrysler "Care" employees are absolutely the worst.

- David G., Vancouver, US

Jul 022018

Grand Cherokee Limited

Bought a used car in December, it won't start 7 months later in July. I come to find out this is a very common problem. Spent almost $5,000 to fix it and would like to be reimbursed by Chrysler/Jeep.

- Mary A., Seattle, US

Sep 042017

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8

4 year old car and already having to replace the TIPM is a load of horse sh*t. Chrysler need to recall the TIPM, instead of the Band-Aid fuel pump relay fix.

- Paul R., Huntersville, US

May 022017

Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.6L V6

I turned on my car and saw my battery indicator illuminated on the dash (for the 1st time since owning it). Didn't seem like a big deal-- I can just go and have the battery tested and replaced, if needed. That's not the case. I started driving and just as I stopped at a stop sign, ALL the indicators on the dash illuminated, & my windshield wipers came on. I tried to pull over to the side of the road, but my Jeep completely died. I had my car towed to my house($291), tried to jump start it twice, still didn't work. I had a mobile mechanic at my house the next day for diagnostics ($75). The alternator shorted out. I ordered and replaced the alternator ($524), the car still wouldn't start. (Will write separate report for the following): Battery checked fine, alternator was no longer shorted to ground. More diagnostics ($75) found electrical issue right at the computer (pcm). Ordered & replaced PCM (after waiting around 1 month to find a PCM, have it coded to my jeep, and shipped) ($704 & learning to have more patience). Now I have a new computer and a new alternator.. should start, right? Nope! It's not even trying to turn-over. New mechanic comes to the house & codes my key fob to the new computer ($105). Now, my jeep is turning over, but not starting. More diagnostic testing ($75) to find that "maybe" it's the wiring harness. I give up and had it towed ($50- thanks to insurance) to a mechanic shop that was recommended by a friend. I'm sure they hated my jeep just as much as I did because they had to start from scratch and figure out what was wrong. Long story short, they ended up replacing the entire wiring harness that goes right up to the PCM -AND- put in another PCM. ($1850) I waited 4 months with no car except for the occasional rentals I'd get ($1620). I just got it back yesterday (31AUG2017) and will be getting rid of it this weekend. While my jeep was in the shop, I had to re-new the registration that expired a week before I got it back. (Frustrating knowing that I would be getting rid of it) ($490) I didn't take it to the dealership because I know it would've been extremely expensive and they would've insisted on fixing the other problems (separate from all of this). Plus, the shop I took it to had a mechanic from the Jeep dealership there in the evenings. And, I honestly just thought it would be a quick and easy fix with the mobile mechanic. I've had this Jeep for a little over 1.5 years. December 2017 will be my 2 year mark. I will be getting a refund for the 1st PCM. Overall: $5,809.00 (currently out of my pocket-before PCM refund), 4 months with no car, and the upmost hatred for this Jeep & Chrysler products.

To add a little more frustration: 1. There is a recall for the alternator for 2012-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles. My Jeep falls in the time frame, but it's not specific to my VIN. 2. The warranty expired a couple weeks before this happened 3. There was another 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee at the shop (same make & model) with the EXACT same problem.. only difference- his electronic transmission went with it as well.

- ambershardee, Chula Vista, US

May 172017

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

Drove approximately 3 miles to drop of some stuff. When I attempted to restart, it would not start. I almost ran the battery down trying to restart every few minutes. After about 30 minutes, it started and drove home okay.

- Rod T., Chandler, US

Apr 012016

Grand Cherokee Overland V6

We have a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that we maintain very well. I really only had one problem and that was the power steering pump went out the first year we owned it. Our recent issue was this:

Driving along the road at about 40-45 mph and the engine stalls and seizes. We were able to pull over but unable to restart the engine. There appeared to still be power due to dash lights but could not roll up the window or restart. On top of that there was a very strong "burning electrical" smell.

The craptacular dealership has now had this Jeep for 12 days and we were told that the starter went out which RESULTED IN THE TRANSMISSION HAVING TO BE REBUILT!!!WTH?! I notice there were 2 recalls and 1 that was an electrical issue with the TIPM relay causing the vehicle to stall. Hmmmmm, maybe that was the issue??? After day 10 I asked the service advisor, who is a glorified but terrible phone operator, if the tech looked at that. I got a typical response..."IDK.." I asked her to follow up and let me know in 24 hours. The next day she called and stated that was the first thing the tech troubleshooted.....Hmm ok, then why did nobody mention that until after I did. Now, of course there are only 2 transmission specialists and they are busy and we are looking at another week of waiting.

Sound like BS to me and a dealership taking advantage of an extended warranty. How does a stall and a burning electrical smell go from a starter to a full transmission rebuild???? I have never had any transmission problems or "symptoms".

The dealer is Larson Chrysler Jeep in Puyallup WA...just in case you want to know where NOT TO take your vehicle. I would have had it towed to another dealer, but the thought of this being prolonged and another tow bill isn't very enticing.

Any thoughts from others with same problem?

- newjeephater, Puyallup, WA, US

Jul 312015

Grand Cherokee Laredo V6

• CVT transmission

I spent a lot of money buying this vehicle. I shouldn't be having problem like this.

- Michael M., Dolton, IL, US

Nov 062015

Grand Cherokee Overland

Why on earth can Chrysler not come up with a fix? My guess is they're trying to wait out the warranty so they can charge for the fix. They keep telling me the car checks out fine...even though it intermittently won't start...because they can't duplicate the problem in the shop.Argh!

- Claire R., Rapid City, SD, US

Oct 282015

Grand Cherokee Limited 3.2L V6

I am waiting to take my Jeep in for the 4th safety recall. This time it is a recall for the TIPM and my problems are related to this recall directly.

I have been waiting for this part to become available for some time. However, now my vehicle is beginning to have ignition problems and I am worried I will be stranded somewhere with my twin 3 year olds soon. Already this week, I have been unable to start my Jeep 3 different times.

There is only 1 dealership that does warranty work in my city, so it is very hard to get an appointment in a timely manner to have the vehicle taken in. I spoke to Lithia Dodge Corpus Christi this morning and the soonest they could get me in by appointment was December 1, 2015.

I am not going to wait until then and risk being stranded or having my vehicle turn off with my children in it so I insisted on taking it in this week. I was told they will try and take me in Friday (today is Wednesday) but they couldn't guarantee it would get in and might need to stay an extra day. Meanwhile, I will not be given a rental.

I will never buy Dodge Jeep Chrysler again after the experience with this vehicle.

- Violeta G., Corpus Christi, TX, US

Jul 012015

Grand Cherokee Limited V6

This problem has occurred several times, I have taken it to the dealer and they say they can't get it to duplicate and they don't know what the issue is. The car has sat in my driveway for over a week now. Its a 2013! I should not have problems starting it. I've paid a lot of money for this vehicle and want it repaired w/o the dealer repairing unnecessary parts etc. I understand there have been several recalls on my vehicle. I do not believe that I should have to pay diagnostics testing for this Jeep when this should be clearly covered.. 3rd time I called dealer they told me "I don't know what to tell you". This is my second Jeep because I have always loved Jeep. But, I'm reconsidering that.

- Renee V., Sneads Ferry, US