Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Liberty:

Mar 122009

Liberty

I had just backed out of a parking space in a busy parking lot, drove forward about 20 feet going no more than 7-10 mph, then made a left - still within the parking lot. When turning, I heard a grinding noise, then suddenly, the front end of my 2002 Jeep Liberty renegade collapsed onto the front tire of the driver's side. The upper ball joint of the vehicle had completely separated, knocking the wheel off in the process. This incident occurred in the late afternoon on a Sunday (when mechanics are not open). Aaa towed the Jeep to a local garage nearby; however, on Monday morning, I called Chrysler to file a complaint about what had happened. My call was picked up by an overseas customer service rep. He told me that if I could have the car towed to a Chrysler dealer, they would see what they could do about covering the repair, but to call back after they'd spoken with the dealer. Later that afternoon, I called back. Long story short, my call was escalated to a guy in detroit, who at first said that the call center rep had no business suggesting that my repair would be covered. When I told him I have photos of what happened to the car, he authorized the repair. The dealer had to replace the upper control arm and ball joint, and the brake line which was severed when the front end collapsed! I asked the dealer for the defective parts. He said Chrysler would want them because they were covering it "under warranty." This is a major defect and safety issue - one of many in the 2002 Jeep Liberty. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had pulled out onto the busy highway! while I was happy that Chrysler covered this cost, the car needed further adjustments when it was returned to me as the suspension felt loose and the vehicle was pulling to the left and shaking. The dealer said these were all unrelated (?!), and charged me for those repairs.

- Northport, NY, USA

Mar 232007

Liberty 6-cyl

I was turning into a parking lot when my front right tire collapsed and I hit the curb. This was due to the ball joints being defected. After about a week and a half my car was fixed by the dealership for no charge. It concerns me that I was never notified that there was a second recall on the ball joints or in fact for that matter on the air bags or the exterior lighting. This accident happened last March, I felt it was necessary to make a complaint after seeing on the tv the investigation that is on going with this problem.

- Denville, NJ, USA

Feb 082008

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl

Jeep Liberty 2002 has vibration in the steering wheel that makes controlling the Jeep very difficult at speeds over 60 miles an hour. Then I was on the freeway and I had a total loss off power all most causing accidents the dealership said that the engine needs to be torn apart and inspected and a recall of ball joints done the work took them over a year and the problem still continues their is no warranty and I was charged for the recall repair work I asked for the inspection report showing the work on the engine heads and recall work done when I picked up my Jeep they gave me an invoice that showed battery and sparkplug for $2085 failing to present me with reports I asked for they said all work is warranted for 1yr 12,000 miles I drove the Jeep Liberty back to service dept after having another facility look at the engine to confirm if work had been done it had not been touched reported the mechanic and I am now scared to drive or own this vehicle.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Sep 262004

Liberty 6-cyl

Ltr re recalls on her daimler Chrysler purchased back in August 13, 2001. The consumer stated the vehicle has been recalled more than 3 times and supposedly fixed over 6 times regarding the ball joints. The consumer had an accident. The ball joint broke while the consumer was attempting to park. The radiator was leaking at the seam. The right front hub bearing was noisy. The cd changer would skip after a few songs. The dealer found an internal fault. There was a heavy crunchy noise when driving, stopping and making turns. The front stabilizer/sway bar was replaced. The rack and pinion was leaking.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA

Oct 012006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Jeep Liberty. While decelerating from 33 mph, the contact turned the steering wheel to the left and it locked up. The failure caused the contact to crash into another vehicle. The contact was injured as well as the driver and passenger in the other vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed. On November 4, 2003, the contact received recall notice number 03V460000 (suspension:front:control arm:lower ball joint). He strongly believes that the crash was due to the recall. A police report was filed. The current and failure mileages were 30,000.

- Louisburg, NC, USA

Aug 172006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Consumer requesting reimbursement for the towing cost associated with the failure of the ball joints.

- Quogue, NY, USA

Oct 282006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

This problem is concerning a 2002 Jeep Liberty sport 4X4 3.7lt. During a slow left turn the driver side front spindle and top ball joint failed. I am the original owner of this vehicle. This vehicle has never been off road or driven roughly, it has only seen highways and local municipal roads. I believe that the spindle and top ball joint in question were defective. Within weeks of purchasing this vehicle I returned to a service center with the complaint of the thumping noise from the front end when making turns(have reciept). I was told that there was no problem, the dealer could not duplicate the problem. I complied with the first lower ball joint recall and now the second recall. I attempted to bring my concern to the manufacturer although they were unwilling to listen. I am truely concerned with the front end of the Jeep Liberty. If my wife would have been on the interstate at 55mph the vehicle would have rolled without question. Please forward my concern to all applicable parties and address this with the manufacturer. Without investigation of these component falures life and property could be at risk.

- Strongsville, OH, USA

Aug 162006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I reported a noise during operating my Jeep Liberty, ltd. 4 wd over bumps and turns. I purchased the vehicle with 5 miles on 8/13/2002. 3/21/2003 at 11638 miles, the service shop made a warranty claim - lubed the bushings. 4/28/2003 at 12932 miles, the service shop made another warranty claim -sleeve & strap was replaced. 2/9/2004, at 25045 miles, the service shop made yet another warranty claim -replaced the sway bar bushings & links. I also had lower ball joints replaced for a recall. 4/16/2004, service shop repositions the ft shield at ft suspension. The noise never went away. At the service shops advice, I needed to bring it in if the noise became worse. Yeah right! two other mechanics suggested steering/suspension related. On 4/09/2006, I had my car inspected by the dealership service once again for the worsen noise. The service team replaced the rear center ball joint at a cost of $276.17 and returned my vehicle. With my warranty running out, the service team has supposedly found more serious part changes, of course. On 6/15/2006, the service team replaced the lower ball joint due to wear and repaired a leak in my tire at the cost of $224.05. I also have noticed vehicle pulling to the right. In addition to having paid for services with my warranty still effective, I have further developed other serious car issues. I have a leak in my rear differential and my brake light & ABS lights are on. I had to stop at a service station to fill my tire from 10 psi! although the service department would like me to bring back my car, I do not believe they have the experience for a fourth visit. On my last trip to the dealership, I had requested that if there are any parts replaced to please save the old part. Upon my pick up of the vehicle, I did not receive these parts. I have purchased an extended warranty end of July for $1,600 just in case.

- Peekskill, NY, USA

Jun 192006

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

: the contact stated that there was a recall remedy repairs perform on the vehicle two years ago for the ball joints. The replacement ball joint became fractured blowing out a tire and destroying the rim. The contact expressed that the replacement ball joint wer also defective. The dealer fixed the lower ball joint on the passenger side however the contact expressed replacement of the other ball joint was also needed because it may be defective. The dealer and manufacturer declined the request; the recall work has already been performed.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

May 302006

Liberty

We had a recall for the ball joints of our 2002 Jeep Liberty. It took nearly 2 years to get them replaced. They were damaged by the time I did and I had to get a temporary repair on them while we waited for the parts. They were repaired at the end of February early March of this year. At the end of may I noticed a similar noise to what I had been hearing when the original ball joints had made before they were replace. As it turned out they had gone bad already. It seems that the new ball joints are defective too. I have had some out of pocket expenses for this issue and I am not happy at how I have been dealt with by the dealer and daimler Chrysler. I sent a complaint to daimler and their response was that they were sorry I was not satisfied with my vehicle and would file it in a consumer survey file. I am not unhappy with the vehicle. I am unhappy with how hard it has been to get this recall issue fixed and having to pay for service on the ball joints. I purchased the vehicle from glenn E thomas Dodge. The customer service rep with daimler was a woman named alison. My vehicle has been out of use this time for over a month before the final repairs were made.

- Avalon, CA, USA

Sep 012004

Liberty 6-cyl

Consumer has had to replace shocks, drive shaft, brakes and all four tires since purchase. The tires were worn and the noisy were struts, a constant thumping sound was heard when the vehicle was in motion, creaking noise were coming from the front of the vehicle when going over bumps due to the front sway bar bushings, the regulator on the passenger door was noisy, the handle on the passenger door was loose, grinding noise on the front passenger side, the passenger front door's weather strip was coming off, loud noise coming from the rear differential bearings, excessive play in the front tie ends, water under the driver's side carpet, rattling in the speaker on the passenger side, when in 4th high and 4th low, the vehicle felt as if it were in neutral, the cigarette lighter was inoperative, the was a squeak in the steering wheel when turning, the engine idled loud, the vehicle would jump when shifting into gear, there was a delay when braking, the axle boot was leaking.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Dec 162003

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

2002 Jeep Liberty is inherently unstable. At almost any speed, the rear end of this vehicle tends to "spin out" resulting in lost of control. Recently, this occurred as my wife was driving this vehicle. As a result, she lost control of the vehicle, struck a guide rail, and rolled the vehicle twice.

- Scottdale, PA, USA

Aug 202003

Liberty

There is a humming noise in the 2 front tires and they are uneven. The dealership indicated that this is caused by ┐feather wear┐. dealership has replaced the shocks, tires, and aligned the vehicle, but the problem still exists. Unable to determine the cause of the problem

- Christiansted, VI, USA

Jun 042003

Liberty

While traveling on the highway and turning vehicle steering wheel has a squeaking noise coming from underneath.

- Medford, MA, USA

Dec 062002

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Vibration felt while driving when you let off the gas or accelerate. When you go about 50 it gets worse. The vibration is there most of the time now. The vehicle has been into the shop 3 times so far and is going back for a fourth time. At first they told me it was not there and now they are doing things but it is not getting better. It is getting worse.

- Lacey, WA, USA

Mar 052003

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The vehicle pulls to the right all the time. Returned it to the dealer 4 times, they aligned it but it still pulls to the right. I called customer service and was told to work with my local dealer. He claims there is no problem and it is aligned to specification. He claims the truck just follows the crown in the road. I tested the truck in a flat parking lot by driving between aligned parking spaces in both directions. It still pulled to the right. I don't doubt that it is aligned, I believe there is (are) other problems. I can't get a satisfactory response from the dealer or company.

- Old Forge, PA, USA

Jan 012003

Liberty

I lost control of the vehicle two days after purchase in the rain while trying to make a right hand turn. The vehicle went straight through the intersection, up and over the curb and into someones front yard. Reported to the dealership. Two months later I had my second experience that also happened in the rain. I was trying to come to a stop at a stop sign and could not stop the car. At this time I took the car back to the dealership and they said there was nothing found. The service director at the time referred to it as operator error and thought that I would get used to the vehicle. Then seven months later on January 1, 2003, I lost control of the vehicle on the beltway trying to avoid something in the road. It was raining. I was going the speed limit (55 mph) and my car started to spin and ended up going southbound in the northbound lanes and finally crashed into a concrete dividing wall. The air bags did not deploy. I feel very fortunate to be alive and that no one else was hurt. The car was taken to the dealership and it is currently under investigation for possible defects. I feel that I am unable to drive this unsafe vehicle. I have also noticed that the vehicle has a tendency to pull to the right.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Oct 022002

Liberty

Consumer states while driving at a low speed, swerved to miss object in the road. Consumer lost total control of vehicle resulting in a collision. Cause unknown.

- Ofallon, MO, USA

Aug 282001

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle would pull to the right while driving. The vehicle had been to the dealer on five occasions, and they were unable to correct the problem. The consumer also states that they first noticed the problem at 500 miles, then a significant uneven wearing of the tires. Scc

- Levittown, PA, USA

Nov 152001

Liberty 4WD

Vehicle would wander across the road when driving at highway speeds of 60-65 mph, dealer was not notified at this time.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA