1.8

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Patriot:

Sep 012019

Patriot

Gas tank cannot be filled up all the way as the car stalls and turns off in less then a mile. The car has no acceleration more then 20mhp and takes a long time in gaining speed when trying to take off after a stop and when changing lanes. Car lacks power when driving on highways, creating traffic and panic in the driver. Car is a hazard on the road and mechanics are aware but no one seems to find the issue and correct.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 292019

Patriot

When I fill the gas tank all the way, the Jeep stalls shortly afterward. That turns off the power steering. It's very dangerous. Potentially deadly if it happens while cornering at higher speeds. Forums online are saying that it's a manufacturer flaw in the rollover valve inside the gas tank, and that the only way to fix it, is to replace the tank. That is a very expensive repair. The forums indicate that it is becoming a very common problem. I feel that Jeep should issue a recall on this dangerous factory flaw and pay for the repairs.

- Napa, CA, USA

Apr 012019

Patriot

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Patriot. After the contact refilled the fuel tank, the vehicle suddenly shut off while accelerating. The cause of the failure was not determined. The local dealer and manufacturer were not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 74,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 012018

Patriot

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Patriot. After filling the fuel tank, the vehicle suddenly shut off. The vehicle was taken to taylor automotive (11989 hwy 22, martin, tn) where they replaced the fuel cap and parts related to the fuel system, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was notified of the failures, but no assistance was offered. The failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was invalid.

- Martin, TN, USA

Apr 032019

Patriot

Every time that I fill the fuel tank, my Jeep stalls one to three times within the first couple miles. This can happen at a stop light, driving out of a parking lot, or while making a low speed turn. I haven't been involved in an accident due to this issue yet, but there have been close calls to date. I took my vehicle to a mechanic to get the issue diagnosed and I was informed that it is due to a faulty roll over valve located on top of the fuel tank. The only way to correct the issue is to replace the fuel tank which is very costly.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Feb 202019

Patriot

After filling up with gas car stumbles and dies at stops for about five minutes minutes afterwards. This procedure goes on for about ten miles all I read says it is a safety valve on top off gas tank. Only way to fix is relace the whole gas tank. This happens when vehicle is in motion or just setting idleling. RPM starts to decreace and smothers plum out. I purchased this vehicle used it has done this ever since ive owned it.

- Somerset, KY, USA

Nov 012018

Patriot

The car stalls after filling up the tank. Has happened several times.

- Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA

Sep 212018

Patriot

My Jeep stalls after filling tank with gas and I believe it is a faulty valve inside the tank itself which requires replacement of the entire tank and should be a recall--this is a safety issue as it causes the vehicle to stall while driving away from gas station. Saw this alert for 2012 models but it is the same issue https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2012-Jeep-compass-and-Patriot-be-recalled-fuel-tank-problem#ixzz5sdmm78oj

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

Sep 192018

Patriot

I have a 2010 Jeep Patriot and it has been having random issues that it turns out are related to a failed tipm which Chrysler knows about and is not addressing. My horn randomly honks, the airbags did not deploy in a recent small accident, and now the car won't start. All of these items are noted as related to a failing tipm and all can be found all over the internet when searching for "2010 Jeep Patriot won't start". based on the most recent problem (no starting), I replaced the battery and the starter with no fix. Jeep should have to fix this if they have known about it and the potentially dangerous implications. Right now the car is parked in my driveway because I had to get it towed home.

- Harlem, GA, USA

Apr 242018

Patriot

Since February 5th, 2018, my 2010 Patriot has been in the shop 3 times for stalling issues, all seemingly after filling my gas tank. The stalling happens within moments after driving away from the gas pump, and my vehicle needs to be towed each time, costing me every time. Various ¿fixes¿ have been made, including new spark plugs, transmission fuel change and most recently, a esim and detector. The latest mechanic at the Jeep dealer that repairs my vehicle said the issue was from gasoline getting into the esim and causing a safety stall. From others I have read from, this issue is very common and needs to be fixed permanently and correct for owners, in prevention of injury or death. Some I have read from mention the rollover valve in the gas tank needs replacement, which would therefor require the entire gas tank to need replacement, a hefty price for something that seems to be the error on Chrysler¿ behalf. I no longer feel safe to go on long trips with my vehicle, which I purchased pre owned just last year. Please take action on this issue as I know many owners are suffering from the same issue that can be dangerous.

- Phillipsburg, NJ, USA

Dec 012017

Patriot

Every time I fillup my Jeep I get within 1 mile of gas station it begins to stall. This happened everytime I fill up for the past 5 years. The Jeep will just shutoff and the power steering stops working being that it stalled. This has almost caused me to crash many times and to get the problem fixed Jeep dealership said I would have to replace the entire gas tank. Doing some research lots of people are complaining about this happening to them and being very costly to fix. The item that needs to be fixed is the (fuel tank rollover valve) Jeep doesn¿T make a replacement part for this and that is why you have to replace the entire fuel tank. Below is a website about the problem https://www.cargurus.com/cars/discussion-T29898_ds631498 www.jeepforum.com/forum/F11/gas-fill-pump-pump-shutting-off-while-filling-1447396/

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Oct 162017

Patriot

When trying to fill the gas tank in a stopped position with the vehicle turned off, the hose continually shuts off as if the tank is full when it is not. Prior to this issue, the car would sometimes shutter and feel like it was going to stall out after filling the tank.

- Plainview, NY, USA

Aug 112017

Patriot

Adding fuel to vehicle tank results in fuel gushing out of fuel filler pipe. It appears the fuel tank cannot vent the air in the tank as new fuel is added and this forces newly added fuel back out of the filler pipe. This is a very dangerous and common problem regarding faulty rollover valves on the fuel tank on several Jeep models/years according to online forums.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Dec 012016

Patriot

Can not put fuel into the gas tank. The pump shuts off every few seconds due to back pressure. A mechanic checked the system and said the problem was a stuck roll over valve inside the fuel tank and the entire gas tank would have to be replaced at a cost of $1400. When this happens, gas splashes out onto car and anyone trying to fill the tank. Spilling gasoline on the outside of the car an myself is a safety hazard!

- Granville, OH, USA

Nov 012016

Patriot

Fuel spews out every time I try to put gas in the vehicle. I am only able to put 20 or 30 cents in at a time. This started on 11/01/16 to present time and happens every time I try to put fuel in tank.

- Mapleton, IL, USA

Jun 102016

Patriot

Gas tank roll over valve: There seems to be a defective component at the top of the gas tank which is causing the vehicle to stall at least once after filling up the gas tank. This is a safety issue and should be recalled as it affects a lot of vehicles based on my searches.

- Clarksburg, MD, USA

Jan 112015

Patriot 4WD 4-cyl

Driving on the interstate and auto suddenly lost power although engine was still running it would just idle, even with the gas pedal all the way to the floor, turned auto off and let it set for a few minutes and when it restarted it appeared to be ok, would take gas, then on 3-19-2015 this happened 3 different times within a 150 miles on the interstate, would have to unhook the battery and reconnect it before the problem would clear up, then drive it just a bit more and it would happen again.

- Vansant, VA, USA

Jan 012015

Patriot

My 2010 Patriot limited stalls all the time. It gets worse while sitting at a red light. I have to put the car in neutral, rev up the engine so it does not go dead. It seems to get worse if the gas tank is below 1/2 tank. Also I really thought someone was stealing my gas because the gauge goes up and down. All the info I have looked up it's all Jeep products 2010 2011 2012 2013 all have the same problems.

- Pcb, FL, USA