Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Patriot:

Apr 022019

Patriot

My car isnżT even 5 years old and the lightening bolt comes on and my car slows down in the middle of highway traffic. It takes at least two tries to turn the car on before it actually starts and now in the middle of driving on the highway the lightening bolt comes on and the check engine light came on. The car will jerk and wonżT go more than 35 and wonżT respond to accelerating. This is unbelievable and shouldnżT be happening with a car less than 5 years old.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Apr 012019

Patriot

I took the car to have a diagnostic test done and it said the throttle body control and my car loses power without notice.

- Wheatridge, CO, USA

Apr 182019

Airbag light on and off. Limp mode turning on. Car going from 45 mph to 15 mph

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Mar 312019

Patriot

I have the same exact problem as everyone else. The throttle lightning bolt flashes, car wont shift or do more than 35. It wont respond to accelerating. It jerks all over the place when at a low speed. I went off of the road in the snow but was ok. When it first started it kicked into a lower gear, jerked and the car slid. You are going to get people killed ignoring this and now here is written proof that you have been warned. Do hear that, Chrysler? because youre about to.

- Underhill, VT, USA

Mar 222019

Patriot

Iżve had 3 fuel pumps replaced and countless times my car hasnżT started just because like now, which brought me here. This needs a recall immediately but every time I look there isnżT one. I bought this car brand new in 2014 and it still only has 45,539 miles on it. A week ago I started my car & then it turned off. Luckily I was at Iżve already had to replace the throttle body so with all of this we need a recall.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 112019

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While driving at an unknown speed in heavy traffic, the vehicle lost power. The electronic throttle control and electronic stability control indicators illuminated. The vehicle was pulled over to the side of the road, turned off, and restarted. The vehicle was taken to leith Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram aberdeen (910-944-7115, located at 11049 us-15, aberdeen, nc 28315) where the contact was informed that there was no recall for the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V668000 (seat belts, air bags). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Southern Pines, NC, USA

Dec 182018

Patriot

My car is not starting. This is the third time this year that I had to bring it in to the dealership. The red bolt goes on last two times and I was on the road driving and it slowed down. This time it wonżT work. I took it to dealership twice already and it's less than two months apart. Third time happening now.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Oct 092018

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle lost power and decelerated to approximately 1 mph. The contact stated that the lightning bolt warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Hammonds, IN, USA

Aug 012018

Patriot

Total control power module (tipm) failure. While driving down the road Jeep Patriots lights started flickering, the most of the dash lights came on. When pulling over the vehicle stalled and lost assisted braking and power steering. Once stopped turned the key off and regained composure. After it sat for a few second the Jeep started right back up and was fine. Took the Jeep to a local store to have the starting and charging system checked and was told that everything was operating within normal parameters. Since then we have had multiple repeat occurrences and now the Jeep has to be jump started if you want it to run. The Jeep was diagnosed with a bad tipm total integrated power unit. This is very dangerous situation and thus my vehicle is now parked. This is the first Jeep that I have owned but do not think their will be another beings that Dodge is not wanting to claim responsibility and correct this dangerous situation

- Buchanan, MI, USA

Aug 082018

Patriot

The vehicle starts to rev up really high and then begins to put alone turn it off the light goes out the five minutes into driving and comes back on and almost cuts off in mid traffic

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 122018

Patriot

Driving my nrkmal route to take my son to his summer program.(city street, 24mph speed limit) on arrival, only driving 3 miles from my home, my rpms were well over 2000 at a stop light. The car began sto shake. The engine light, electronic stability control light, and stability control light come on. I pulled over the the nearest gas station. Turned car off and back in again. Rpms over 2500. They died down after 2 min. All lights still flashing. Got it to somewhere yo have codes read. "high airflow vacuum leak". nursed it home, .could not go over 20mp. Anything over 20mph the car shook violently. Rpms were over 2000. All of this driving was kn city streets with speed limits not going over 35mph. We tried to replace the throttle body today. Still having the same issues. Jeep on neutral (manual tranny) rpms over 2000 still.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Jun 062018

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While driving approximately 40 mph, the check engine, traction control, and electronic throttle control warning indicators illuminated and the vehicle lost acceleration. The contact pulled over in a parking lot and turned off the vehicle. Afterwards, the vehicle restarted normally. The contact stated that the failure occurred randomly on a daily basis ever since June 2, 2018. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 74,660.

- Rockville, MD, USA

May 182018

Patriot

Electronic throttle light flicked on and off on four separate occasions while accelerating. Vehicle seemed to rev up and almost bottom out. Diagnosed by independent service shop as faulty electronic throttle. Repair cost was approximately $742.

- Monrovia, MD, USA

Feb 012018

Patriot

Takata recall- 3 dash lights on etc, mil, and ESC activational malfunction indicator light on- car makes sputtering loud noise and stalls/turns off quickly after starting. Car will not accelerate and is jerking/hard to press breaks. Feels dangerous like car is going to shut off at any moment. This started last night when 3 lights appeared on dash but car sounded normal. Shortly after it shut off and has gone decreasingly down hill.this sounds like a recall issued for Jeep Patriots but does not cover my VIN number.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Nov 302017

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While driving 60 mph with the accelerator pedal depressed, the speed independently decreased to 20 mph. The etc (electronic throttle control) indicator illuminated. The vehicle was shut off for approximately one hour and it restarted on the first attempt; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not taken to a local dealer to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that there were existing complaints for the failure, but there was no current recall and referred the contact to NHTSA. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Breaux Bridge, LA, USA

Sep 072017

Patriot

2014 Jeep Patriot stalls out on me. Traveling at speeds anywhere from 30mph to 55 mph. Problem initially started in early 2016. Driving at speed of 55 mph, car will start to vibrate, the engine and the etc (electric throttle control) lights will come on and the engine will completely shut off and stall out. The last stalling out while driving occurred 09/07/17. After restarting the vehicle and attempting to merge onto the road after being on the shoulder, the car will lunge forward and again stall out. After 5-7 attempts and nearly being hit each time I try to get on the main road, the Patriot will finally get me straight home. This has been an ongoing every 3-4 month occurrence for the past year and a half. I have contacted the Jeep dealership where I purchased the vehicle and they tell me they know of no such complaints occurring. This vehicle must be recalled, it is a deathtrap! I am terrified to drive my Patriot but seeing as I have no other option for transportation, I have to say a prayer and drive it to my place of employment. The vehicle has stalled out pulling away from my driveway after backing out, turning the corner at the end of my street and while driving it on a straight road at 55 mph and always in motion. Next time it does happen, since it always occurs more than once, I will record it and send it to the NHTSA. I've been reading many different message boards across the internet this is a common occurrence. This issue needs to be repaired or vehicles bought back or replaced before someone dies!

- Crosby, TX, USA

Sep 172017

Patriot

Driving down the street and the electronic throttle control light came one, the stability control light came on and the check engine light came on. The Jeep started shaking and lost power. I pulled over and restarted the car, it started normally but moments later the lights all cam back and the Jeep starting shaking. Then two days of normal driving and then it happened again. This appears to be a known issue and a recall should be issued. I have researched this and found complaints dating back to 2008.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 012017

Patriot

One morning I tried to turn on my vehicle and it would not start. Got a friend to come out to try and jump start it and after about 30 min it was successful. Two days later I had the same issue. Tried to jump the car again with no success. Replaced the battery but did not help. All the electrical componemts inside the car (radio, lights, ect) were still functional but engine would not start or even make a sound like it was attempting to start. Jeep was towed to a local mechanic and he could not figure out the issue after 1.5 weeks of trying to figure out what was wrong. I then towed it to a Jeep dealership and he stated that he didnt know what was wrong with it. He removed the plastic coverings over the engine and stated they are just for looks and dont need to be there and cleaned some wires near the drivers side wheel well and the vehicle was able to start. Later while driving my Jeep started to act strange. Randomly all the lights on the dash board would turn on, the guages went all the way to zero then back up to normal the radio would shut off and turn back on and the car would feel like it was about to stall. Later, the same thing happened except this time the lights stayed on engine was still running but could not accelerate my vehicle and power steering went out. I then would have to pull my Jeep to the side of the road turn it off let it set for a little then it would start back up fine. This happened about 5 times over the course of a couple weeks. When it wasnt happening and I was driving the Jeep around normally the check battery light would always turn on after about 5 to 10 min after drivimg the vehicle. Occasionally the check oil light will also turn on. I have still foumd mp solution to these problems amd it continues to happen. It makes it very unsafe to drove especially on the highway and in congested areas due to vehicle randomly not working.

- Hawthorne, CA, USA

Jul 012017

Patriot

Electronic throttle issue. Vehicle exhibited unexpected and uncontrolled acceleration.

- Bordentown, NJ, USA

Jul 022014

Patriot

Over past couple of months, vehicle had issues of start/no start. Being frustrated, I took vehicle to dealer on 7/3/17. Dealer replaced the tipm same day. On July 4th vehicle still experience start/no start. Returned the vehicle back to the dealer on 7/6/17 and I am awaiting results from dealer regarding the issue. Was told by the dealer Chrysler is having issues with the tipm and excessive heat on engine seems to play a major factor in the failure of the tipm.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA