Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Jeep Patriot:

Jul 152017

Patriot 4-cyl

They randomly unbuckle! you think you're buckled and you move or adjust while driving then then bam unbuckled. You're going to die in a head on collision. Consumer stated defective seatbelt was replaced. While driving and sitting vehicle experience many electrical problems due to slow tipm failure, engine stalls etc.

- Saint Ann, MO, USA

Jul 142019

Patriot

Front seatbelts will just unbuckle after you've buckled. The Jeep wont accelerate, it wont shift until 3 1/2 grand, between 0-40 mph it chugs & almost dies, once above 40 its usually fine. The dealer says things are fine. What is wrong and why wont these issues come up on diagnostics? the tire low sensor is always on - even after new tires & they reset it. No wonder the warranty length was lowered. Brakes became sqeaky around 6 months. One owner - me unfortunately.

- Saint Ann, MO, USA

May 152019

Patriot

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated while attempting to park in her driveway at 5 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated while the brake pedal was depressed. As a result, the vehicle rear ended a parked vehicle that was in the driveway. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed. There were no injuries sustained. The vehicle was not drivable and was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired as of yet. A dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer had not been informed of failure. The failure mileage was 93,000.

- Dequincy, LA, USA

Aug 312018

Patriot

1st: ABS light and anti skid warning lights illuminated 8/31/2018. Vehicle has less than 20000 miles. My sister in law owns a 2016 Jeep Patriot in Texas and it has developed the identical problem. The lights sometimes go off but keep coming back on. Not sure if ABS is functional. 2nd: Dealer advises that the wheel mounting bolts (5 each wheel) are defective and will need to be replaced. I have scheduled warranty service with dealer for late Sept but these failures seem odd for such a new car and have happen on at least one other 2016 model in Texas

- Pell City, AL, USA

Jun 042018

Patriot

Warning light kept coming on for "low tire" while driving on city street, highway and interstate. Had this checked repeatedly at dealer, the low tire light would go off then come on again later. The day after takingthe Patriot in for the low "tire light" the ESC/ABS lights also started coming on. I have just over 50,000 miles so the warranty is over. I was told that in addition to the $115 for doing a diagnostic to see why the lights were on it would be $350 extra plus labor to replace the sensor. I was unable to pay for this at this time. I was told that it would be okay to drive it but the lights would stay on until replaced. Online I see that there are over 18 other complaints for the same reason. The sensor got some type of moisture and was shorting out. Mine continues to be on for 30 minutes then go out, or not come on at all, or not on then comes on. Either there is an issue with connection or this is just a bad product. With all of the complaints for this same scenario - I am afraid that there is a water leak or the sensor does not have protection from water. Either way, I feel that this is a hazard to anyone driving a Jeep Patriot. Others have reported smoke, fires, etc. This needs to be addressed by the dealer and corrected free of charge. I loved my Patriot until this happened. I will be driving on the interstate this weekend, which is why I tried to have the lights/sensors checked out Monday. I leave tomorrow and hope and pray I do not have a fire/accident to report on Monday. This is a valid safety concern and should be addressed. Online other reports also state that sometimes you lose acceleration and stall because of the sensor. Please check this out before someone is seriously hurt.

- Summerville, GA, USA

Jan 092018

Patriot

The contact owns a 2016 Jeep Patriot. While the vehicle was stopped, it rolled backwards. The brake pedal had to be depressed to the floorboard to stop the vehicle. Also, the traction control indicator illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 63,000.

- Fairbank, GA, USA

Oct 192017

Patriot

I've had constant issue with my breaks squealing. After having the vehicle about 9 months the ABS light would come on any time I drove across a speed bump in a parking lot, any area on a roadway that was uneven. A few months later when turning right, my left wheel continued to go to the left. At random times when turning left either from a stop or going around a curve there is a loud grinding noise or humming noise coming from underneath the carriage in the front.

- Cottageville, SC, USA

Sep 152016

Patriot

Shaft axel left & right side brakes shoes & drums transmission muffler rubbing chasis

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 222016

Patriot

I was driving on a city street around 2:30 pm when I notice smoke coming out from under my hood. I pulled off to a safe spot and by this time II could see the fire coming out of the front of my Jeep. Three fire inspectors looked at it and are unable to determine the cause of the fire. However, a Jeep mechanic also looked at it and believes the fire started behind the battery. The Jeep is totaled. Still waiting on reports from the insurance company. Cynthia I just wanted to give you an update. We did hire some people who went out and also were not able to fully determine the fire. I am having a hard time getting in contact with Chrysler. I will keep trying and let you know what they tell me. Depending on what they tell me we might move forward with more investigation. I will keep you updated. From progressive claim #161737586 agent amy etta ph. 503-495-4507

- Clackamas, OR, USA

May 122016

Patriot

I purchased this vehicle 2 and a half weeks ago and it has been back to the dealer 4 times because of the check engine light. The first time they stated it was a sensor for the breaks. Second, time they stated, for the same thing a brake sensor. Third, time they said the sensor was bad. Now for the fourth time they are saying it's a module. No, it's time for a new truck a 2016 Jeep should not have the engine light come on at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's time to be in the process to file the lemon law because the car has been back up their four times maybe even more for the check engine light.

- Capitol Heights, MD, USA