9.6

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Jeep Renegade:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

Sep 182018

Renegade

The Jeep has stalled out 5 different times in heavy traffic nearly causing a wreck. I have towed it to the dealership 4 times now and they say unless the problem can be duplicated, they cannot correct it. There are no warning lights or signals on the console. By the time it is towed to the dealership, the transmission has cooled down, and the Jeep will crank again. This is beyond frustrating as I am a real estate agent and use my vehicle for work. I do not know what will correct this, a new fuel pump, new transmission? I have learned when the engine stalls out, to turn the Jeep off for about 15-20 minutes and it will usually crank again.. are you kidding me?? This is not what I paid for!

- Brenda A., Jacksonville, US

Aug 312018

Renegade Latitude 2.4L

I had the "stall while driving" experience this last Friday. I only have 15,000 miles on the car..bought the car brand new end of February. We were headed to Northern Colorado from DFW area. Drove Thursday night and was fine. Drove next day and got to Colorado Springs where we were going to make a pit stop and just as we slowed to get off the busy highway it jerked twice then stalled. Coasted to stop, turned the car off and it restarted with the "Service engine" & "Service Transmission" messages blaring at us.

We pulled into a parking lot to see if we could find a Jeep dealership or anyone that could help. Found a Jeep specialty shop that said they could look at it and see if it threw any codes. They said that they see this all the time and they think it's the transmission overheating. It did throw a P00735 code. They cleared the code (which now I know they shouldn't of done) so we could make it to a dealership. Got there and they had no clue as to what was wrong.

Called my Dealership when we got back to Texas and they said that we will have to wait until it happens again to have it towed to the service department so they can look at it. So basically we have to wait until it happens and HOPE that we don't get into a wreck when it does! I do NOT feel safe driving this vehicle and I have the deepest sympathy for anyone experiencing the same problems. We need to all bring together one voice in order to be heard, because obviously NO ONE is listening to the problems we are having and how alike they are.

If anyone starts a Class Action, please let me know. Because it's either going to have to be that or someone getting hurt, or worse killed, in order to catch their attention that this needs to be fixed and now!

- Marsha P., Bedford, TX, US

Aug 062018

Renegade Four cyl

While driving up Monarch Pass, within 500 feet of the summit the car sputtered and died. We were in the slow lane of three two lane uphill road on a blind curve. After four attempts to start the car it finally started. Really a very scary place for the car to die as we could easily have been rear ended and if my wife had not been with me directing heavy traffic like semi's I would have been in serious risk. Dealership says they have no idea why this would happen. The dealership did not seem to be very concerned. I will definitely call Chrysler and get a case started.

Update from Aug 9, 2018: Unfortunately as others have reported the dealership says no codes showed up on the diagnostics. So I guess it will have to happen two more times to qualify as a lemon. Definitely consider the safety issue if considering buying this car. Definitely the company is going to have to have a class action suit before it takes notice.

- Dan W., Fort Collins, US

Jul 202018

Renegade Latitude

I had taken the car to a dealership during my vacation because the car was stalling. Two days after leaving the dealership the car shows the same problem, the motor stops turning in the middle of the highway and coasts to a stop. This time we ask for a two truck and take it back to the same Durango dealership. No rental car is provided and, again, the dealership is unable to reproduce the problem and detects nothing wrong with our car.

We contact Chrysler, at this point really worried about getting home to Ohio safely. The costumer service is terrible. Waiting times of at least 25 minutes before anyone talked to us. The person who finally picks it up can do nothing but record your information and pass it to a designated "case manager". If you try the chat line, a very polite person will say how sorry they are for your "scary" situation and provide you with the number of the, you guessed it, case officer.

It took us four 60 minutes plus calls over two days but on the fourth one I finally was able to talk to the case manager. It was even worst than before. The person is just as unable to do anything as the others. The only difference is that the case officer, in addition to being unhelpful, is also sort of rude. No car rental, no help transporting our car back to Ohio, nothing. I feel cheated and disrespected. The worst, most stressful, frustrating costumer service experience I've had in my life.

- Alvaro M., Columbus, OH, US

Jul 172018

Renegade Latitude

On vacation in Colorado, drove it from OH. During a slight uphill section at about 50 mph the engine just stops and car coasts to the shoulder. There were no warning lights/messages, and no strange behavior from the motor prior to the stalling. After putting it in park the car turns on and we continue on the road, this happens four more times in the next hour.

We take the car to the nearest dealer (Durango, CO). No rental car is provided. They don't find anything wrong with the car, but update some software. Dealer gives us a "Star Online Publication" (case # S172100013) which lists what happens to our car and concludes that "engineering is currently investigating these complaints and the field will be notified when updates become available. The document as published in July of 2017...

- Alvaro M., Columbus, OH, US

Jun 212018

Renegade Latitude 2.4L

6-21-18: Driving home up a modest hill at 65 mph and the Renegade simply stalls. Scary! I could not restart it to get home. Had it towed and dealer cannot find anything wrong with it, and cannot replicate the issue. I take the car home.

6-23-18: Driving in Flagstaff, AZ (60 miles from home), the Renegade stalls 5x in a single day. Stalls at any driving incline and speed ranging from 35 -65 mph. Lucky to have shoulder or fast food parking lot to 'coast' into for safety. Have it towed to dealer again. Chrysler provided rental car per my request. They could not replicate the problem, but said they found shorts in the battery cables so replaced them. They 'believed' this would fix the problem. It did not.

7-5-18: Renegade stalls again at 35 mph on level, paved road. Coast to safety and have it towed for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. Rental car provided again per my request. This time, I filed a complaint with Chrysler/Jeep Customer Care and was assigned a Case number.

I live in AZ, and it's very hot. Yet the temperature gauge reads in the normal range.

I will do not feel safe in this car. I cannot even think of taking it in long trips as it is unreliable. I will post updates as things progress. If you have similar problems, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you contact Chrysler to file a complaint. There is obviously a trend of 'stalling' problems with this car and it will only be remedied if we all collectively complain.

- Tracey D., Sedona, AZ, US

Aug 162017

Renegade DesertHawk 2.4L-Liter I4 Multiair®

Started the vehicle, started to drive and was prompted with several warning lights and the vehicle had lost all abilities to accelerate. The truck told me to shift into park to change gears, I do so but it would no longer drive. I took the car to the dealership via tow truck and dropped off over night. They informed me they could not diagnose the problem so they uploaded the data to Jeep Star for the engineers to overlook. A few days later they told me they had to reprogram one of the modules in the car and it should be good to go.

The car worked for another 700 miles with no issues. then on September 12th the same issue with tons of warning lights, loss of power, and being unable to drive. The car seems to be able to drive after sitting for a period of time with no explanation on why it died. Currently they had the same issue with recreating the problem and sent the data to Jeep Star again for review. It has been three days and no updates and no updates expected until next week.

This has happened to me all within a few blocks of starting the vehicle but as I read around it has happened to people driving as well.

- Dominique R., Madison, US

Jul 172017

Renegade Sport 2.4L 14 Multiair Engine

This piece of junk has been giving me hell since June 27,2017 , 2 months old less than 2000 miles on it. After stalling out numerous times, being towed in to 3 dealerships, new transmission, 3 weeks to make a cross country trip, arrive at destination and take to dealership in mid July and now Aug 7, 2017 I am told that I need a "special" fuel pump. Chrysler is absolutely no help. You will go on a merry go round of calls, talking to people who are reading from scripts. They DO NOT CARE about their customers!!!!! DO NOT BUY A JEEP!!!

- Mimi P., Long Beach, CA, US

Jul 222017

Renegade Sport

We purchased this vehicle in April. In May, we had an electrical issue with the key. The dealership had it for weeks, tried 5 different parts, then finally fixed it. My son had spent the majority of the last month in Colorado with family. On 7/22/17 we were driving from Kansas City to WaKeeney to pick my son up and bring him home. We left early because we knew the tempuratures during the day were going to get pretty hot. We got to WaKeeney at 10 am. We turned the car off for 30 minutes while we ate breakfast. We had no problems at this point. We turned around and headed back to Kansas City (a 4 hour 20 minute drive) and started noticing issues a little over 2 hours towards heading home. When we were driving down I-70 the engine suddenly shut off! My husband thankfully got the jeep to the side of the road where we waited a minute then tried to drive again. We didn't even get a mile before the same issue happened yet again. During this time we were nearly hit by a semi and a few cars going 75 mph. My husband got out of the vehicle to check everything with the vehicle, he couldn't see any problems with any of the fluid. At this point my son started to get sick from the heat. I found a gas station within 5 miles from where we were. The car stalled another 4 times trying to get to the gas station and we quickly found out if we turned the A/C on it would stall immediately. We got to the gas station and called the dealership who told us to call Chrysler. They told us they could tow the vehicle to the nearest dealership (still 2 hours from home), but basically that we were stranded there. We called that dealership to see if they'd give us a loaner vehicle but their service department is closed on the weekends so they couldn't do anything to help until Monday. My son (who has a ton of medical issues), kept getting worse, so we found a nearby hotel to go and let him lay down at. My dad offered to come pick us up, but we couldn't just leave the jeep 2 hours away from home. We can't take the time off work to drive out here and risk it not working again. Since it took my dad 2 hours to get to us it allowed the jeep time to cool down, so my husband drove it home, without AC in 104* heat while we followed to make sure it didn't stall again. On the way home, the engine kept overheating and caused the radio to stop working (not sure how that works). This car is a death trap!!! We could have been killed on the highway. Chrysler does not care about their customers safety. We're waiting to see what our dealership says on Monday, but I doubt they'll be helpful since they weren't on Saturday. DO NOT BUY A JEEP RENEGADE.

- Megan O., Overland Park, US