6.3

Most common solutions:

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Jeep Renegade:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

Jul 102018

Renegade 2.4L

I discussed the significant use of oil with the mechanics at the dealership and was told it was normal use for this engine, its almost like a 2 stroke engine except you don't mix the gas... as I discussed with the mechanic the engines from the 60's never used this much oil even with 100k miles on them. it can be a very serious issue when the warning lights don't come on. and the engine seizes up.. since the first time of running almost completely out of oil I have watched the level quit closely and on a recent trip to pueblo Colorado I added some of Lucas oil additive to see if that would help stop the oil loss, so far so good and I'm still watching the oil level but didn't need to add oil while I was out there or on the drive back so keeping fingers crossed, and my mileage has also increased...

- Kevin P., walnut, KS, US

Apr 292019

Renegade Limited

Leased a 2018 Renegade. Received an email notification from dealer that a 1000 mi courtesy inspection is available. The vehicle had 2600 mi on it when we took it into dealer for this service. Service rep came out and said everything looked good and we left. 2 weeks later the Jeep stalled while pulling out onto a busy street. Was able to restart the car and it continued to run OK. It happened again and this time I noticed the OIL idiot light came on and off for a split second. I restarted and returned home, pulled into garage and checked the oil level. It just registered on the dip stick on the very tip of the stick. I went to the auto store and bought the recommended oil (don't want to be accused of voiding the warranty) and filled to the mid mark on the stick. Dealer checked codes and was told that the engine is programmed to shut off when oil press is LOW but there is no LOW OIL indicator that comes on steady to alert you to a pending issue. Now I am checking the oil level every time we use the vehicle. Manufacturer should have a recall for a program change to stop the engine cut out and add the OIL LIGHT to remain on when low oil is sensed.

- dpetresky, Bethlehem, US

Mar 092019

Renegade Latitude

I have a 2018 Jeep Renegade that I first had this problem with at 5000 miles. Took it to dealership, they said they changed oil, and that I had to drive it for 1000 miles, mind you it had been stalling in traffic, if during the 1000 mile test stalling occured to bring it back to service dept. if no stalling occurred then I was good. Well after 4000+ miles it happened again this time when I was 300 miles away from home, and in very heavy traffic. Sticker dealership put on my window was for oil change at 10087 miles, I was at 9600. Had car towed by roadside assistance and waited for Monday morning to go to dealership.

First dealership literally sent me a text telling me I had to pay 135.00 diagnosis labor cost up front, while my car is under warranty, I told them not to touch the car and had it towed to another dealer. They also gave me a very hard time, but finally after 5 hours told me it again was "oil consumption" issue, that they would do oil change, and that I am to take it in to dealership at 1000 miles regardless of issue happening again.

Oh and they tried charging me 78.25 for oil change, which was quickly changed to 0 by service manager who said I should not be charged anything since my car is under 10000 miles. This is complete BS!! So what I am supposed to go to dealership every 1000 miles??? I missed a day of work cause of this.

- David M., Wylie, TX, US

Jan 252019

Renegade Trailhawk

The vehicle stalled out making a left onto a busy 4-lane highway with oncoming traffic. Restarted, went on the way, happened again 2 days later in the exact same situation. No dashboard indicators about the cause of the stall. Took it to the dealership. Dealership diagnosed low oil and changed the oil. Vehicle had < 3200 miles at the time of the stall issue. Pickup feels worse and gear shift is odd since the oil change.

- followup, Southampton, US

Nov 142018

Renegade 2.4L

Since owning the vehicle brand new, I have been mentioning to the dealership that I feel I’m using excessive amounts of oil. I had to place a quart in at 1500 miles, and I have had to continue placing oil in at intervals of every 1000-2000 miles even with getting routine oil changes at the dealership. They have now asked me to keep record of it....they may have to scope the engine. I just had an oil change at 9800 miles and had to put a quart in at 11800.

- Marjorie S., Hamburg, NJ, US

Jun 052018

Renegade 2.4L

2018 Jeep Renegades with 2.4L engines are not recommended. They burn oil and there has been no recall. Is it a defect that should require engine replacement or lemon law return to manufacturer.

The dealer did not mention it before, during the sale or after. I suggest everyone with this issue ask about the lemon law????

- Smk G., Bangor, ME, US