2.8

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

Jun 092014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When filling fuel tank, gas back splashes and goes everywhere. It happens every time I fill fuel tank. You have to stand back or you will get it on you.

- Rogersville, TN, USA

Aug 292013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Gas sprays out of filler neck during fueling of vehicle. During fill ups gas will spray out of filler neck before the gas nozzle can shut off automatically. This results in having gas sprayed on myself, my Jeep and all over the ground. This is not a safe situation.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Oct 012011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Gas overflows every time I fill up.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Aug 092014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Every time I fill the gas tank up the gas pump shuts off and all the gas in the filler neck comes back out all over me, the Jeep and all over the ground.

- Milan, IL, USA

Jan 162014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while refueling, fuel would spew back out of the filler neck without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 36,000 and the current mileage was 39,000.

- Rockland, MA, USA

Mar 222014

Wrangler

I just purchased my 4 door, 09 Wrangler on Thursday March 13. I first had to fill it up that Saturday the 15nd. When I did, the gas tank clicked off but gas still came pouring out of the tank (not the nozzle). I was incredibly irritated I just bought this Jeep and now there was gas pouring down the side and fenders. After cleaning it up I chaulked it up as faulty equipment at the gas station. However, the next 2 times I filled up, the same thing happened. This is incredibly frustrating. Not only is it dangerous but its disgusting. Not to mention these vehicles aren't cheap, we don't need to be worried about gas eating away at the vehicle as another expensive. I've heard there are several complaints regarding this issue and that Chrysler refuses to address it. I find this embarrassing on their part and shows poor business practice.

- Olyphant, PA, USA

Jan 012014

Wrangler

When filling my vehicle with gas it over flows after the nozzle shuts off. Causing gas to spill on me. My vehicle and the ground I have seen numerous complaints on this vehicle.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Apr 202011

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the filler neck valve would spew gasoline when attempting to refuel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the fuel tank was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Sep 202013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Bought my 2009 Wrangler X 2 door automatic with 13K miles and perfect condition with all the bells and whistles. Signed loan papers and drove around the corner to my work to fill up on gas. While pumping gas, gas squirted back out of the filler neck and covered my pants, boots, the side of the Jeep and ran down the paint and onto the tires and rims as well. Gas everywhere! had no change of clothes and nothing to wipe gas off the paint, tires, and plastic fender. Extremely dangerous! every fill up results in gas spewing out onto the Jeep and ground and if my wife, kids, or me isn't paying attention then we are wearing the gas as well. Thank god no open flame or kaboom. I see fixes for 2007/2008 but apparently other years suffer as well with this dangerous problem. Immediate fix needed. May consult legal advice on this matter as dealership refuses help.

- Newark, OH, USA

Aug 082013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Gasoline splashes back from tank upon filling, spilling fuel on me, the vehicle, and ground. This happens at every gas station with every fill-up for the last 4 years. Dealer says there is no problem.

- Brockport, PA, USA

Jun 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

Gas comes out while fueling the Jeep. The gas spills all over the side of the Jeep and is causing a hazardous condition. It does it every time I fuel the Jeep at the gas station. It does not matter what gas station I go to. It does it all the time.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

May 152013

Wrangler

While fueling my vehicle the automatic shutoff on the fuel nozzle shuts off and shortly after fuel begins to come back up out of the Jeep and down the side. Has happened numerous times.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

May 202013

Wrangler

Couple things. While in motion in 1st gear, the vehicle will pop out of gear suddenly, making a loud clunking noise. Also, when filling up the tank, it will overflow.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Dec 022011

Wrangler

My 2009 Jeep Wrangler is spitting out about a pint of gas at every fill up just after the auto shut off for the pump engages. It runs down the side of my left rear quarter panel, onto the bumper and then onto the ground. This is both a safety and environmental concern. I am currently using my trip odometer to estimate the amount of fuel I can put in based on my estimated gas mileage and miles driven.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Oct 262012

Wrangler

Every time the vehicle is filled, regardless of gas station, the gas always gushes out the fill spout. The pump shuts off and then a rush of air, followed by fule spits out of the vehicle. The amout of fule is probably on the order of 2 cups.

- Delanson, NY, USA

Apr 042013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Gas is ejected out of fuel filler when tank is filled everytime. I have tried several different stations all with the same result of about 3 cups of fuel ejected on car and the ground. Two service stations have asked that I do not return because of the fuel spill danger this creates at the service station. I have contacted Jeep and two dealerships both acknowledging that they are aware of the problem and recalled the 2007 and 2008 Wrangler for this but 2009 has not been added to the recall. This is a fire and eviromental hazard to humans and the enviroment.

- Ball Ground, GA, USA

Jun 112012

Wrangler

Everytime I fill up for gas and have it use the automatic shut off the gas tank overflows out of the tank and over my car, I have talked to other Jeep owners and this is a very common problem. There is a recall for 07 and 08 Wrangler but seems that there needs to be a recall for all Wrangler because it happens to a lot of people no matter the year.

- Kenilworth, NJ, USA

Oct 132010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Intermittent fuel overflow when filling the gas tank. At first it was a once in a while thing, maybe once every 10 fill ups, but recently has started to be a recurring issue. About 2-4 cups of gas will come out of the filler neck, dripping down the side of the vehicle and onto the ground. Some of this models from previous years had a recall or safety update that replace part of the fuel filler tube to include a check valve. I have talked with other Jeep owners with the same model year that are experiencing the same issue and have read about others having this issue as well. I contacted Chrysler to inquire about getting the fix for the earlier models applied to my vehicle and was told that due to the age and mileage, certain things are expected to need replacement and as a vehicle owner, I need to be responsible for that. I understand that, but when the replacement part that is needed is controlled by Chrysler and not available for sale to private individuals, this becomes another issue. Luckily, I was able to find a dealer that would sell me the recall replacement part.

- High Ridge, MO, USA

Sep 012012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that fuel spilled out of the filler neck while refueling the vehicle. The failure was experienced numerous times. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000 and the current mileage was 55,000.

- Gilbertsville , PA, USA

Feb 202013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Recurring problem of fuel overflow spillage at the gas pump for the past year. Regardless of which fuel station I use, the pump does not shut off automatically causing fuel to spill out of the vehicle onto the ground. In researching the problem it appears it may be based on a faulty manufacturer part (fuel tank). If this occurs on other Jeep, the fuel spilled at these gas stations create potential tph contamination on the property. I am concerned with the role I play on a potential benzene plume in groundwater due from spills at gas stations as well as the damage I am doing to the exterior of my vehicle from fuel spilling over the side causing accelerated corrosion on the body of the vehicle.

- Papillion, NE, USA