2.8

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

May 012019

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. While fueling the vehicle, fuel spilled onto the ground. The vehicle was taken to walker Chrysler Dodge Jeep and Ram (5757 coliseum boulevard, alexandria, la 71301, (318) 618-0103) where it was diagnosed that the fuel filler neck and fuel tank needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the 2007 and 2008 Jeep Wrangler received the manufacturer warranted replacement for the fuel neck and the fuel tank; however, the 2009 Wrangler was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Fort Polk, LA, USA

Jun 032019

Wrangler

Fuel runs out when filling up Jeep at the gas pump happens every time I fill

- Marlow, OK, USA

Apr 012019

Wrangler

When filling my Jeep Wrangler jk 2009 gas tank it over fills when pump shuts off the spilling gas all over my 2009 Jeep Wrangler jk and ground.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Oct 012018

Wrangler

Gas tank skid pla rusted through. Gas tank ready to fall off 2009 Jeep. 88K miles and parked in garage. Pieces missing and cracked lengthwise and widthwise

- Coraopolis, PA, USA

Apr 052018

Wrangler

When refueling the pump always stops even if empty, this makes it very hard to know if it's already full or if it's just acting up. This has been happening for a couple years now, and it happens 100% of the times I refuel. I have read in forums this is a very common issue and some years have been fixed. This is a potential fire hazard since fuel spills are very common with this problem.

- San Ysidro, CA, USA

Nov 052017

Wrangler

When using a gas pump to auto-fill the tank, the pump shuts off and the tank overflows some of the fuel onto the paint on the outside of the 2009 Jeep Wrangler. Doesn't matter what gas station I go to, the style of nozzle, or the angle the nozzle is used at. It over fills every time. This Jeep Wrangler X was recently purchased in November 2017 with 90, 961 miles. Started early November. I recently sold my 1997 Jeep Wrangler which I had driven over 178,523 miles in the 18 years of ownership never experienced this problem not even once. Initially I thought it was operator error until I read the compliants on the internet from other Jeep owners and the NHTSA website.

- Keller, TX, USA

Feb 112018

Wrangler

Constant overflow while fueling (~80% of time). I do not use anything but reg grade fuel. I do not hold the fueling hose. It does not matter if I put the hose in all the way or slightly out. It typically overflows about 1/2 to 1 pint creating a fire hazard and an environmental issue

- Roswell, GA, USA

May 152016

Wrangler

Whenever I fill my tank up, the gas spills over onto the car, the ground, and myself. About a quart spills over so could be potentially very dangerous.

- Severna Park, MD, USA

Dec 012017

Wrangler

Each time I fill my Jeep with gas there is a gushing of gas at the end of fill up. Each time I fill it up the Jeep doesnt want to take the gas either. It was when the vehicle is stationary at a gas station.

- Keller, TX, USA

Jun 162017

Wrangler

When filling tank, fuel overflows every time. Have tried to decrease flow towards the end, but nothing seems to work. Seems like a huge safety issue with fuel spilling on every fill up.

- San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Mar 062017

Wrangler

Same issue as with 2007-2008 Jeep jk fuel spits out when done fueling, no changes to fuel system so why only have a recall on 07-08 and not all Jeep jk?

- Grand Junction, CO, USA

Jan 222017

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. While fueling the vehicle, the contact noticed fuel spraying out of the opening into the fuel pump. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 128,000.

- New Market, MD, USA

Mar 032017

Wrangler

When filling the gas tank, fuel shoots out of the filler opening when the tank is full and goes on the vehicle and on the ground.

- Islamorada, FL, USA

Nov 112016

Wrangler 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. While refueling the vehicle, it experienced an overflow of fuel. The failure occurred without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the fuel tube was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 131,000. Updated 03/07/17

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Apr 082016

Wrangler

Fuel overflows when filling up vehicle.

- Apo, AE, USA

Mar 282016

Wrangler

Fuel spits back when fueling. This happens everything we fuel up and is creating a dangerous situation. The local Jeep dealer tells me there was an extended warranty offered for 2007 and 2008 Jeep Wrangler but my 2009 was not included in the extended warranty.

- Milford, KS, USA

Feb 252016

Wrangler

Almost every time I fill up my Jeep and use the automatic shut-off on the pump, it will shut off and then puke some gas out the filler hole and down the side of the Jeep. Jeep won't cover it because it wasnt a 2007 or 2008 my with same known issue.

- Moon Township, PA, USA

Oct 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When filling up gas take, it does not stop automatically when full like it used to. Gas overflows out of filler tube down the side of the 2009 Jeep Wrangler. Issue did not start until vehicle had 65K miles on it.

- Coraopolis, PA, USA

Jul 092014

Wrangler

Gas tank over flows everytime I fill gas tank, goes all over the side of the car, all over the ground and gets on me. It's dangerous, wasteful and is damaging the finish on the outside of vehicle. Mfg says it's not covered under any recalls. Note: Happens regardless of which gas station, which setting on the pump handle or how far the gas nozzle is inserted into filler tube. Internet search shows other years have been recalled for condition.

- Cedar City, UT, USA

Dec 032014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When fueling my 2009 Jeep Wrangler unlimited (sahara), gas spews back out of the tank following the auto shut off of the gas pump. This is my second fill-up since purchasing the Jeep new and it has happened both time. It occurred at different gas stations so it isn't a problem with the pump or nozzle. The Jeep is not properly ventilating the gas and detecting the level so as to prevent the gas blow back.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA