2.8

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

Aug 012018

Wrangler

While driving at highway speeds and upon hitting rough road conditions the front on the Jeep begins to shake uncontrollably. You must slow or come to a stop to make it go away. This has happened four times to me. It is by far the most terrifying thing that has ever happened to me in 50 years of driving. The dealer has told me it was worn dampeners and replaced them. Of course this did not happen for the first 50K miles, so I must wait until the conditions appear again to see if the problem is solved.

- Bodfish, CA, USA

Feb 282018

Wrangler

Death wobble in suspension while driving. Has happened since owning vehicle. The vehicle will begin to uncontrollably shake in a violent manner at a speeds at or near 60 mph. The wobble is persistent and well documented on the internet. Jeep refuses to officially accept a problem exists even though Wrangler owners have complained in thousands of posts viewable online. I have had my Jeep in multiple times for this and the problem still persists.

- Springfield, NE, USA

Jul 112017

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle struck a bump in the road and wobbled violently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the stabilizer bar, pittman bar, and stabilizing shock absorbers failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired again. A dealer (advantage Dodge Ram Chrysler Jeep 3200 E. main street, farmington, nm 87402) was contacted, but did not provide any assistance. The manufacturer referred the contact to NHTSA. The contact did not file a complaint with the manufacturer. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Fort Meade, FL, USA

Dec 312016

Wrangler 6-cyl

When driving the Jeep on the expressway, the entire front end started shimmying from side to side, threatening to pull the steering wheel out of my hands. It stopped when I reduced speed to under 55 mph. Whenever I tried to go over 55 mph, the Jeep resumed it's death wobble. This is not a safe condition to be driving a vehicle in.

- Midlothian, IL, USA

Oct 232016

Wrangler

Experienced "death wobble" twice in past month - uncontrollable shaking of front end at speed after hitting minor bump in highway. Almost caused accident. Had to slow to near stop on highway for shaking to subside.

- Ponte Vedra, FL, USA

Jun 242016

Wrangler

Violent shaking of the steering wheel when the Jeep goes over a bump in the road. This is a regular occurrence. The last incident, the hazard lights on the dash panel came on and have not been able to turn off since then. Happens mostly on the highway or when the vehicle is traveling at 45-55 mph.

- Frederiksted, VI, USA

Jun 192016

Wrangler

My Jeep has the death wobble. I have had it in the shop twice to get it fixed and spent over $3,000 so far to fix the problem and it has not be resolved! new parts and new tires have not helped. Someone is going to get hurt or killed. It happens all the time.

- Rolla, MO, USA

May 212016

Wrangler

Usually after hitting a bump, the tire(s) begin to shake violently and do not stop until slowing down significantly or coming to a complete stop. From what I've researched, this appears to be a common problem with Jeep owners and can be very dangerous. This started a few months ago on my Jeep and appears to happen more frequently.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Mar 282016

Wrangler

Driving North bound on interstate 89 in New Hampshire approximately 65 mph, drove over a bridge abutment and the front end of my 2009 Jeep Wrangler start to violently shake. The violent shaking didn't stop until I slowed to 30 mph.

- Lowell, MA, USA

May 012015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. While driving various speeds over a bump in the road, the front of the vehicle began to shake tremendously. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that tie rod end bolts, trac bar bolts, and the ball joints needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 122015

Wrangler

Known as the "death wobble." This has occurred four times to me on the interstate traveling approximately 50-70 miles per hour. Had to come to complete stop before the severe shaking from the front end and steering wheel would cease. Very dangerous and it is a huge safety issue that the manufacturer must address and stop denying happens. They should also repair the car free of charge. This has happened to me on Sept. 12, 2015, Oct. 4th, 2015, Oct. 13th, 2015, and October 25, 2015. All incidents occurred on the highway except for the first incidence which was on a regular road going about 25 miles per hour.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Sep 212015

Wrangler

Travelling on a straight road at approximately 50-60mph, hit a small bump in the road. The steering wheel began to shake a little then violently and almost lost control of the Jeep. I had to come to a compete stop in the middle of the road before the shaking would stop. I was scared too death. I had the Jeep checked over and nothing was broken or worn. Now afraid to drive the vehicle. There are many complaints on this site as well as the internet for the same issue. When will this be addressed before someone gets killed?

- Saratoga Springs, NY, USA

May 012015

Wrangler

Bought a used 2009 Jeep didn't know anything about a death wobble. I was going down the interstate at about 60 mph hit a bump and the Jeep started shaking violently. Almost got hit trying to get off the interstate and stop. It does it every time I hit a bump in the road. Now I don't know what to do becasue we bought it used.

- Wlaker , LA, USA

Jun 012009

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The front axel is week and bent during off road use. Jeeps are designed and sold for off road use. When I drove down a road with some ruts and dips the front axel bent causing the wheel alignment to be permanently off.

- Big Bear City, CA, USA

Apr 192010

Wrangler 6-cyl

As the Jeep was brought up to speed it began shaking violently and out of control as the speed approached 50 mph. The shaking continued as I braked to a stop. The vehicle is unsafe to operate with this "death wobble". the problem is repeatable and happens at the same speed occasionally when bumps are hit.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 232014

Wrangler

I own a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. Over the past year and a half, I have experienced increasing issues with my Wrangler in that it begins to shake uncontrollably when I am driving above 50 mph and hit even small bumps in the road. This past summer I had it worked on twice in order to address the issue. My car has been in storage since September and I drove it for the first time this past weekend. Today (12/23/14), I was driving on the freeway and in less than 30 miles, the car began shaking 3 different times. Each time this happens, I have to bring the car to a complete stop (obviously, this is difficult, and sometimes impossible, on the freeway). The situation becomes very dangerous to myself and the drivers around me. I have made no modifications to my Wrangler.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Dec 202014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Three times in the past week, driving on highway at about 55, started the Jeep death wobble. Had to stop in traffic to stop wobble. Still looking for issue. Tires were rebalanced, still getting death wobble.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Oct 222014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Death wobble, the front wheels will shake violently at around 55 mph or lower speeds when I hit a bump or anything on the road that makes the tires wobble. This happens at least 4 times a week.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Mar 042014

Wrangler 6-cyl Diesel

I purchased a 2009 Jeep Wrangler new. I have not modified my car in any way, nor have I ever taken it "off-road or four-wheeling". in March 2014 I experienced my first "death wobble", an extremely violent, shaking of the front wheels. Since then, it has happened numerous times, resulting in repairs (that still haven't solved the problem) totaling over $2000. I'm hesitant to take it in for repairs again because no one knows how to fix this problem and I don'T have the money to keep making repairs for an unknown problem. Chrysler/Jeep needs to recognize this as being a safety hazard. I've researched this extensively and I am not the only one experiencing this problem. The only time it happens is when I'm going 40 mph or more, primarily on the highway. The only way to re-gain control is to slow down quickly and pull over or come to a complete stop (which could result in an accident on the highway). Chrysler/Jeep must recognize that this is a serious safety issue and provide a remedy/recall and monetary compensation for this problem.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Nov 202013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Death wobble, uncontrollable violent shaking between 30 & 50 mph. Serious safety issue at highway speeds being unable to control the vehicle's steering out of harms way. I have had it to two different dealerships three different times and I'm told that there is nothing wrong with it. It's obvious that there is a problem and I'm not the only one with this issue. A quick internet search on Jeep death wobble will confirm this. Chrysler needs to be held accountable and fix this problem before someone gets killed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Decatur, IL, USA