Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Kia Niro:

May 302018

Niro

Purchased the vehicle with safety tech package which includes aeb (auto emergency braking) and vehicle did not stop even when I applied full brakes to prevent a collision. The main reason I purchased this vehicle was for this safety feature.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Mar 242018

Niro

I am writing to your company in regards to a serious accident which happened on the date of Saturday, March 24th around 4pm est. This accident involved my family and I driving the new Kia Niro hybrid ex w/ tech pkg we purchased from sansone dealership on November 24th, 2017. My vehicle was involved in the accident on route 22 highway while driving eastwards at the speeds of around 35-36 mph as there was a traffic flow and also a traffic stop of cars. Our vehicle (Kia Niro) was about 2-3 car distance behind the vehicle in front and as we were trying to come to a stop and while applying the brakes, the vehicle was not stopping even with the equipped autonomous emergency brake system on, it did not function as I stomped hard on the brake pedal, saw the brake indication on the dash but the vehicle was not slowing down. We had to brace for impact and rear ended the car in front of us which also slightly hit the car in front of him total of 3 vehicles involved including mine. In my car I was the driver, my spouse was sitting in the passenger side and my 5 year old daughter was in the back seat in her car seat. The impact caused major frontal damage to my vehicle and both front airbags were deployed. My wife sustained neck injury which we had checked out at an urgent care center the next day. I sustained some bruises on the leg and my daughter was ok, but in shock. I have included pictures of the damaged car, police report. The fact that we purchase a vehicle with upgrades to safety features that did not work for keeping my family and I safe is unacceptable. Vehicle is totaled and insurance has stored it in the following facility: Iaa, 700 federal blvd. Carteret, NJ 07008-1008. Tel: 732-634-5601. Stock# 22133296. This info was given via voicemail to ryan at Kia consumers with case# 12671522.

- Union, NJ, USA