8.0

$1,700

Most common solutions:

2. repaint affected areas (6 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Sorento:

Sep 082019

Sorento Limited 3.3L V6

paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling

I had just finished a 400 mile trip. When I noticed the paint peeling. During my trip I know I did not hit anything but bugs. I have other small chips in the paint from rocks on my hood, but this is totally different. Unfortunately car manufacturers put mileage on paint jobs. Most bad paint jobs might take a while before showing up. The bad thing is my 400 mile trip back is going to peel off more.

- Brian C., Clarksville, US

Dec 192018

Sorento V6

paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling

Went to Family Kia of St. Augustine where I bought vehicle. They don't have body shop but directed me to the one they use. I got two estimates by two different body shops. Called Family Kia who told me I was beyond my 3 year warranty and would have to deal with Kia. Went to Kia website, messaged them as directed. Got a phone voicemail giving me # to call and case # .

Called Kia number and got Sarah who basically told me it was my fault that my car gets nicked from outside influences such as road gravel, sun, heat, tree sap etc. She then went on to tell me that Steven the technician from Family Kia already took pictures and sent them to the regional service manager (whose name I'm not allowed to know) who rejected my claim. I never met Steven, no one took pictures and I did not file a claim with them. When I called her out on this, Sarah said she had given them my vin # and that was the result.

I am not done with this. I don't like to get ripped off.

- Kit S., Palm Coast, FL, US

Feb 012019

Sorento LX 3.3L

click to see larger images

paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling paint peeling

2014 Kia Sorento LX - Pearl White paint peeling around windshield and off hood. Bubbles started forming form under paint and paint blisters and peels away quickly in large chunks from vehicle. Went to dealership and they told me paint is only under warranty for 36k miles, but after seeing all the complaints online with white Sorentos, I realized there is a problem with KIA paint. Car is parked in a garage every night I have owned it. I worry now that the entire car will continue having paint issues and continue peeling off. There are already 3 different panels on the car showing paint failures.

- Jessica H., San Diego, US

Nov 092018

Sorento

Noticed a little paint chip about a week ago. Had a reputable paint/dent repair person look at it, and he wouldn't attempt to fix. Said Kia paint was a 3 step process, recommended a reputable paint repair person in town. Came out to my car one week later and the all the paint was peeling off in large 3-5 inch chunks off frame around window on passenger side. I couldn't believe it. I drove to the paint repair company and the gentlemen there said I should drive straight to Kia and tell them this is obviously some sort of production problem, he could tell by the way the paint was peeling off. He suggested I check the websites for a paint recall also. I went to the local Kia dealership and was told no warranty or help, the paint warranty is only good for 36,000 miles. I did tell him, I thought the paint should last significantly longer than 36,000 miles, it's not like we are driving through hurricanes here. Not sure what my next step is, but this has to be fixed as I use my vehicle for work.

- Jeannine Marie B., Riverside, CA, US

Sep 012018

Sorento

paint peeling paint peeling

For the last couple months the pearl white paint on the two sides of the windshield have started to de-laminate and just flake and peel off.

Talked to the dealer who sold me the car this morning and he acted like this was something new to him. Dutchess Kia in Poughkeepsie NY. Get home and do a little research to find out this is a known problem which explains why he was so quick to get

rid of me by saying I had to talk to KIA since the paint warranty ( A pathetic 3 years, 36K miles ) had expired.

KIA is not standing behind this clear defect issue. For the past year and a half I have raved about KIA but no more. While chances are nothing will ever be done, this is unacceptable. I have two Kias right now but these will be my last. Also looking at the title I was under the 36K when I bought the car and the dealer did nothing. Dutchess Kia of Poughkeepsie NY.

- Michael G., Poughkeepsie, NY, US

Sep 152018

Sorento LX 2.4L 4 cyl

I have a 2014 Kia Sorento LX with 40,000 miles. Engine has been replaced(under a recall) and now the SnowWhite paint is peeling off. I have contacted Bill Baisley Kia in Frederick Md. (Car was purchased here) and also contacted Hagerstown Kia , Hagerstown Md. along with the Customer service at Kia Directly and they basically told me tough sh*t because paint is only good for up to 36,000.. Really, bad paint and because it didn't start peeling until 40,000 you wont do anything. Well I can tell you I will never again own another Kia. Thank goodness they replaced the engine.

- Daphne M., Jefferson, MD, US

Jun 012018

Sorento ES 4cl

Paint peeling around windshield. Starting to rust very fast. Looks awful. Definitely does not look like I am driving a 25,000 dollar vehicle around. I DO NOT recommend Kia to anyone! I regret ever buying a Kia..

- Angela T., Grove, OK, US

Oct 102017

Sorento LX 3.2L V6

Unable to submit pictures. Pearl White paint peeling around windshield and off hood. Bubbles form under paint and paint blisters and peels away from vehicle. At first I thought it was because of the Phoenix heat, (110 degrees plus in summer), but bubbles happened in "winter" months as well. This problem will cost a small fortune as most or all paint will need removal and replacement. The paint is separating from the Primer in small bubbles as a start, then swells or blisters then falls off in very large chunks or large pieces, (3inch flakes). removal and repaint from a quality shop will be $3400.00 at minimum. Paint bubbles from plastic car parts/trim and metal/aluminum frame/parts. Paint started peeling from rear bumper assembly last two months. The paint is a disaster. Help!

- Kevin H., Mesa, AZ, US

Mar 012016

Sorento LX 2.4L

Paint started peeling going into the second year of ownership and at around 42,000 miles. It started peeling where the windshield and the roof start and you could really see the spots appearing. Of course once the spots start peeling there's no stopping them due to weather and driving conditions.

I am very sorry that I chose this color vehicle and most of all very disappointed in the manufacturer. It's a beautiful vehicle and shade of paint. It's just too bad the manufacturer won't stand by their faulty paint process. When the roof was repainted and a year or so later,other areas of the body started having paint issues. Now there are spots on the hood and the driver's side pillar looks awful, PLUS I'm still making a car payment!!!

Too bad KIA won't take care of these paint issues that they are having but I guess driving around town and having people see what's happening to the paint is enough advertisement to pick a different make of vehicle.:(

- jcanderson, Okeechobee, US

Jul 032018

Sorento LX

I am a paint specialist that inspected this vehicle. The paint on the roof is de-laminating. This usually takes 10 or more years of sun exposure not 4 years. I measured the paint film thickness with a $500 digital gauge and found 3 mil paint thickness and this car is a tri-coat white pearl! Usually I find 6 mil on tri-coat paint jobs from the factory. It would appear that the clear coat is just not there as this is where the uv protection resides. Without UV protection the paint will prematurely de-laminate. Kia obviously has a problem with paint application and will not admit it. Shame on them. I would never buy or recommend Kia or Hyundai to anyone!

- Joseph G., Columbus, US

Nov 112016

Sorento LX 2.4L 4

paint peeling

I had the service manager look at the paint peeling above the windshield, he had the paint and body shop look at it and they said it was from rock chips but there was no dent. The paint is peeling off in three strips about four inches wide, now there’s a small spot on the hood. When the manager told me they wouldn’t fix it I told him that’s the reason the make brands of cars he said that’s right. By telling me that I assume he doesn’t want my business.i will never buy another car from Regal KiA in Lakeland, Florida.

- Paul R., Winter Haven, US

Oct 012017

Sorento LX 2.3L 4cly

I have been attempting to get Kia to fix the faulty paint on my Sorento for over 2 months. I have contacted the dealership where it was purchased and they told me sorry I was out of warranty period. This issue should be covered. It is clear that the paint is faulty and is just peeling off. The spot is right above the windshield on the passengers side. The paint is chipping down to the primer. It seems that the paint and primer are not bonded properly. I feel that they should be liable because there are tons of complaints on this issue online. I have spoken with customer service through the 800#. My case was handed to District Mgr. Steven Kang. He offered to fix the roof if I paid half the cost which their estimate was over $300 out of pocket for me. I feel this is shows they know the paint is bad or they would have just told me sorry. I have asked to speak to Mr. Kang on numerous phone calls and he refuses to talk with me. I feel that if he is a customer service manger it should be my right o speak with him concerning his decision. However he will not take my call. I have since been escalated to another group. I clearly told them do to work schedule I could not take a call till after 530pm and they contacted prior to this. I have returned the call and still haven't received a call back in about a week now. I am still seeking a solution to this issue. I feel that a vehicle that is just over 3yrs old should not have the paint falling off it. That is unacceptable.... I have spoken to several reps and have documentation of our conversations so when this goes to a higher attempt to get what I am do I will have names and employee extensions to quote. I hope this issue is resolved. I would never recommend a Kia vehicle to anyone due to this issue.

- Stuart R., Cedar Bluff, US