Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Sorento:

Jun 062019

Sorento

I have had the vehicle for about 6 months, and have been noticing the paint is flaking off. It's just beginning for me, but I did some research and noticed that all the people complaining about this issue on various Kia models had tri-coat pearl white paint. I have to imaging this can¿T just be coincidence. On this one website alone there are 11 complaints about just this specific year and model. Https://www.carcomplaints.com/Kia/Sorento/2014/body_paint/paint_peeling.shtml I appreciate your time, thanks!

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Mar 012018

Sorento

Takata recall I purchased my Kia index 2014. Immediately the paint started bubbling and then peeling around the windshield and hood. We called Kia and they said this is not covered. Also we get recalls about the engine. I never had a problem until I took it in. The first recall I got they drained the oil and took oil pan off my car. The second one not sure what they did to it but it was about. The engine. Now I have to put oil in my vehicle about once a week. The door locks don¿T work the keyless entry will let you in but you have to lock all your doors by walking around the vehicle. The headlights keeps, blowing. I have probably put 10 headlights in my car over the past year. Now my ABS traction control and low light for tires is on and will not go offf it amazes me that there are no open recall on thus vehicle I am sure it will not last me until I pay it off. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned

- Fort Valley, GA, USA

Mar 142019

Sorento

Engine fire!! while travelling down highway passenger noticed sparks left rear of car. Pulled over to check car, lifted hood engine was on fire. Driving normal rate of speed in normal conditions. No collision or accident involved. Travelling us-71 South in vernon county Missouri incident number 190140035. Fire department put fire out. Car towed to tcb towing and auto service 205 N barrett St Nevada mo 64772

- Independence, MO, USA

Aug 232018

Sorento

The delamination of pearl white paint began at 50,000K miles with a small piece bubbling and then chipping away. The paint on areas along the windsheild and above the windshield are now completely ready to peal. You can not stop this process by fixing only the damaged areas. All auto body shops state is must be entirely repainted. The paint is delaminating at a fast rate, all my paint is gone on the passagenger side window arm and my roof where the windshield meets the paint is mostly bubbling and rusted. The Kia dealerships are aware that this particular color, made and model Kia has this problem. I can not wash the exterior of my car without losing more paint. In the sunlight you can see where the paint is not longer bonded to the car. My car is expected to be without paint on my roof, hood and sides of windshields within one year if not repainted properly.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Apr 252018

Sorento

Paint coming off a brand new car. I am original owner at only 39,000 miles paint started coming off my car. I always purchased new vehicles never had this problem. I was told the paint is only covered to 36,000 miles. Not like the song they sing when selling you the car.

- Clementon, NJ, USA

Aug 042018

Sorento

Complaint no.while traveling down hwy 377 toward granbury, Texas. The underside of my car burst into flames. Fortunately I was traveling at 70mph and the person who witnessed the flames behind me, ran up to my car when I stopped at a rail crossing to tell me what happen. I was lucky I was driving 70mph and if I had stopped while it was burning the car would have burned up. It looks like the plastic panels were ignited by the catalytic converter.. complaint no.2 without any type of impact, near the rear view mirror, a crack appeared from the top edge of the windshield downward about 2.5" long. Since it is near the rear view mirror I know it appeared without any flying object hitting the windshield. Since it is in the middle of the top edge, I'm wondering if it is a stress crack and other Kia owners are experiencing the same event.

- N. Richland Hills, TX, USA

Oct 032017

Sorento

The right hand side passenger door panel has come away from the door frame and now the door does not open from the inside or outside of the vehicle. It was first repaired by Kia when I leased the car and the same problem has reoccurred but they will not make the repair.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 252017

Sorento

The paint on this vehicle has been a problem from day 1 practically, and Kia refuses to acknowledge this. We take great care in our cars as we keep them for the life of them, and thus keep it mostly garaged when not in use, and especially during any potentially adverse weather. From day 1, any hard bug, tiny pebble, etc would case the paint on the bumper to chip off and subsequently crack and flake. Problems seemed to happen even if we hadnt driven it. As the white one we own has a black plastic underbody, it constantly looks like our car is buggy/dirty and has acne. Upon taking to the dealer, around month 4, they gave me a paint pen to handle it, saying it wasnt ebough of a problem. As it was only on the plastic bumper, I chalked it up to "just there." Now, at 4 years and 3 months of ownership, after 1 long car trip in the rain (about 13 hours of driving) the paint on the top metal roof is peeling like tiger stripes and its beginning to along the edges where the doors meet the body and the hood. Kia, even after their dealer reccommended local paint repair shop, state farms inspectors, and the local dealers service department have all inspected it, are continuing to deny the paint defect, after all those entities have confirmed it is a manufactures defect. Now, it looks like we will be on the hook for over $5000+ to repair the paint because we are now outside of their warrany period. Its awful of Kia to advertise a 10year/100K warranty while not matching the industry average 10year/100K mile paint warranty. This is not my families first Kia, but this experience is making us rethink our loyalty, and it may be our last Kia.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Feb 032015

Sorento

Driving on the freeway this morning I heard a very loud noise and then my sunroof shattered. It was the back portion of the panoramic sunroof and it completely shattered. Some small glass particles fell into the car, but most of the glass stayed attached. I pulled over and called hwy patrol thinking someone must have thrown something at my car. I was not close to any other vehicles. Maybe it was already compromised by a rock chip or something?? thank goodness my baby was not with me as her car seat is directly below the sunroof. I took it to the dealership and it will cost $2300 to fix. I am now in a rental for 4-5 days while it is repaired.

- Willard, UT, USA

Jan 232015

Sorento

We were driving when suddenly the sunroof exploded violently and all glass fell on us.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Mar 152014

Sorento 6-cyl

While driving on the highway with no other cars near, the glass sunroof above the drivers head exploded leaving a bowling ball sized hole in the middle of the glass top. Nothing hit the top, it exploded outward with force....updated 04-30-14 updated 10/1/2014

- Pueblo West, CO, USA

Jun 102013

Sorento

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Sorento. The contact attempted to close the lift gate by pressing the close button, but when it closed it opened independently. The contact attempted to close it manually but the lift gate would not close. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but they could not duplicate the issue. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 525.

- Lusby, MD, USA