Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Kia Sorento:

Mar 012018

Sorento

Takata recall I purchased my Kia index 2014. Immediately the paint started bubbling and then peeling around the windshield and hood. We called Kia and they said this is not covered. Also we get recalls about the engine. I never had a problem until I took it in. The first recall I got they drained the oil and took oil pan off my car. The second one not sure what they did to it but it was about. The engine. Now I have to put oil in my vehicle about once a week. The door locks don¿T work the keyless entry will let you in but you have to lock all your doors by walking around the vehicle. The headlights keeps, blowing. I have probably put 10 headlights in my car over the past year. Now my ABS traction control and low light for tires is on and will not go offf it amazes me that there are no open recall on thus vehicle I am sure it will not last me until I pay it off. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned

- Fort Valley, GA, USA

Jan 032019

Sorento

Ever since we took our Kia for the recall service and they "fixed it" turns out the made it worse and now the engine makes a loud rattling sound, the breaks which are new have horrible performance and the electrical issues we are having with the odometer and the transmission sensors due to the recall as well but the local Kia dealership that "fixed it" will not take a look at what they brok without us having to pay them for it we have had no accidents and it gets maintenance done on time.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 292018

Sorento

I have a 2014 LX with nothing special other than heated front seats. Regular ignition, 6cyl with almost 148K miles. Issue 1- at approx 100K my dash started lighting up with ABS, E-brake, trac, and tps lights. Ebrake and tps were intermittent and only came on after it rained it seemed. After plugging it up and getting no codes I took it to the dealer June 2017 and they informed me it was no big deal but it was part of a recall for a sensor. However, Kia had not provided them with the necessary tools to fix it. It's now August 2018 and I am still waiting. Issue 2- at approx 130K miles my steering controls for bluetooth and radio stopped working. The radio itself works, but when attempting to seek or adjust volume with steering controls the voice command pops up. Issue 3- at approx 145K cruise control stopped working. I can turn it on and set speed, but in less than a mile it disengages. I have found if I turn off the eco it works as it should. Issue 4 I found today. After getting a message from a random stranger through my advertised business on the back window I was informed that I have no brake lights except for the one on top (third). I just replaced them in July after a random stranger told me that they were out. When I got the message (after making my 60 mile commute to work) I grabbed a coworker to come out and troubleshoot with me. We checked fuses and they are fine. Third light works, tail lights work, turn signals and backup lights work. We took apart the tail light assembly and pulled the bulbs to check them and the bulbs are still intact (filament still completely intact) but the bulbs are charred black and the harness socket appears to have gotten extremely hot. Also the bottom of the bulb is glossy like it melted.

- Daphne, AL, USA

Sep 212018

Sorento

Vehicle only starts in neutral. Refuses to go into park. ABS seems like it's always on but the light isn't. had the car checked for engine recall and they said it was fine. Never any major issues with car until the past year. Have replaced brakes and wheel sensor and does noir fix problem. The vehicle is hard to switch between park, neutral, drive and reverse. Afraid of a malfunction that could cause an accident. Nothing shows on computer when ran. Have to press hard in park to keep car from moving on its own. Randomly just shuts down and won't start unless you move the steering wheel. Vehicle doesn't want to stop on a dry road with brand new brakes installed.

- Rock Creek, OH, USA

Aug 152018

Sorento

ABS and traction control light goes on and off as I am driving. Sometimes, the speedometer moves quickly over the incorrect speeds so I have no clue what speed I am going. It's only a four year old car with 56,000 miles. Also, same vehicle has issue with the gas tank door. Cannot open using the switch inside the car. Must use the emergency pull inside a trunk compartment.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Oct 152015

Sorento

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Sorento. When the contact attempted to accelerate, the vehicle jolted three times before accelerating. The failure recurred three times without warning. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer who inspected the vehicle and found no failures. The failure recurred on a different day. On another occasion, while driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle lost steering and braking ability. As a result, the vehicle drove into a ditch. The brake and steering ability returned and the contact drove to another local dealer who was also unable to find the cause of the failures. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures and followed up with the dealers, but the cause of the failures was not determined. The contact was told to drive the vehicle until the failure recurred. The failure mileage was approximately 41,000.

- Senoia, GA, USA

Jan 182016

Sorento

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Sorento. The contact stated that while driving at 5 mph and making a left turn into the parking lot to park the vehicle, the steering wheel and the brakes failed. The vehicle was towed to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000.

- Oakpark, IL, USA

Aug 042015

Sorento

I pressed on my brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of me. The car veered left and started to swerve. It started spinning out of control.

- Hawthorne, CA, USA

Aug 052014

Sorento

Aug 5 2014 was driving home engine just stopped, which makes braking and steering very difficult. Got engine started after a few tries, drove home without further incident. Called Kia, had towed to local dealer. Dealer could not find any codes or problems. Mileage 9500. On Jan 7 2015 car would not start in parking lot at work. Managed to get started, drove 500 yards and engine quit at a stop light. Restarted engine, started up a hill and after 500 yards or so engine quit again. Restarted again continued home without incident. On Jan 7 2015 left work, engine quit again. Restarted and continued on. After 8 miles engine quit while traveling up a slope on snow covered road. Car slid backwards into a ditch. Restarted again, pulled the car from ditch, continued on. After a mile, engine quit again. Restarted and continued home without incident. Mileage 14000. Called Kia upon arriving home. They arranged a loaner car for us and we took Sorento to local dealer again. Dealer put 30 miles on car without incident and checked computer for codes. None found. Kia engineering instructed them to check all grounds. No problems found. Kia engineering is currently sending a data recorder to dealer for installation on car for 30 days to monitor systems. Hopefully we will have the same problem so data recorder can pick up the problem. Only problem is we are scared to drive the car for fear of a major accident. Kia does not seem concerned at all about our well being or anyone else's should we be in or cause an accident. Kia actually told us they were not worried about hypothetical situations. Mind you we live in northwest pa. The weather is less than hospitable much of the time during the winter months.

- Saegertown, PA, USA

Dec 232013

Sorento

The contact owns a 2014 Kia Sorento. While driving various speeds and attempting to engage the brake pedal, the brakes failed to stop the vehicle. The contact mentioned that the brake pedal and steering wheel started to vibrate without warning. The failure occurred multiple times. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who stated that the rotors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Pine Brook, NJ, USA

Oct 262013

Sorento 4-cyl

Since buying the 2014 Kia fwd 4-cyl vehicle, I have had about 5 instances where the car would not start after I pressed the brake pedal and then the ignition switch. Kia and Hyundai had brake switch issues in models circa 2011 and earlier, but I could not find anything about whether Kia fixed the problem in subsequent model years. During my incidents I have repeated the above steps trying to start the non-responsive vehicle until it inexplicably started up; took over 10 re-tries each time this problem occurred. I am taking the vehicle into the dealer on Monday 11/4/13 asking them to fix the problem.

- Arlington, VA, USA