9.3

$2,720

Most common solutions:

1. replace engine (9 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Kia Soul:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Kia dealer.

May 042019

Soul 2.0L

My 2015 Soul was less than 2000 km out of warranty when I was driving down the freeway and my engine began to rattle. Took it to change oil immediately. After oil change drove a few kilometers and the engine began to knock and a loud squealing noise. Towed it to the dealership (Kia West Edmonton) where I was told it was engine failure.

Had never had a single problem with my vehicle and no warning lights went on. They asked for all my oil change receipts and when I was unable to find 2 of them they blamed it on lack of maintenance and they refused to put it through Kia Goodwill Warranty. I was then told I could pay $1500 to take the engine apart to determine if it was due to lack of maintenance but there would be no guarantees that they would put in for warranty.

When I refused to pay the $1500 I was then told that they could check it for $300. Having no option I payed the $3000 for them to determine that it was due to manufacturer defect. They then told me that they would put it through to Kia at 50% Good will warranty. I told them I wanted it put through at 100% and that Kia should decide what is covered not the dealership. Was given the run around by the Service Manager and General Manager and was finally told that if they put it through at 100% they would not be making any money on the repair. They then said they could get me into a new one...

Was lied to through the entire process. Paperwork and costs kept changing. Was told they were putting an new engine in my car. They lied and only replaced the short block. I ended up paying $3000 out of pocket for a repair that should have been put through at 100% warranty. I called Kia warranty directly and they told me that they would only accept a claim through the dealership. There are many stories of the exact same thing happening to these cars. Unfortunately my engine was not part of the massive recall that was done.

- Jackie D., Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jun 062019

Soul

I bought this Kia Soul used on May 16, 2018 from Summit Place Kia in Auburn Hills, Michigan. I noticed before I was due for my complimentary oil change that the engine seemed to flutter. Let them know when I took it to get it to get the oil change. No comment. Got oil change, no more fluttering sound. A couple weeks later, started hearing it again. No indicator light EVER came on, but I had the all of my fluids checked anyway. Oil was a little low. Had engine checked for leaks and there were NONE. From that point on, I automatically checked my oil every Saturday and topped it off. Would get my oil changed but not from there because I could no longer make it there before they closed due to work. Fast forward to Saturday, June 1, 2019, I again topped off my oil. On Thursday, June 6, 2019 I'm driving and without any warning, engine starts making noise. I immediately get off the Highway and stop. Engine knocking. No indicator lights EVER came on, but there was no oil in the engine, even though I had topped it off less than a week ago. NO OIL LIGHT EVER came on. Had it towed to the Kia of Canton dealership and explained that that no indicator lights came on. He told me: "That car may not have an oil indicator light." I politely told him: "All cars have an oil indicator light." Any way they called me and told me it was indeed the engine and a used one would cost me $7150, and a new one $9850. Needless to say I'm having the car towed back home so I can continue to pay the remaining $11,000 I owe on it even though I can't drive it. This is utter BS with this car company. My gas light lets me know my gas is low, but my light doesn't alert if the oil is low. Sad part is I had extra oil in the car.

- Jessica K., Westland, MI, US

May 222019

Soul ES

Bought a used Kia Soul 2015 in 11/16, with 33k miles on it. Traded in a Kia Soul with higher miles. No oil warning light ever came on and engine failed May 22. Estimate to replace engine is is $7000. Ford dealer I bought it from tells me when I bought it the original warranty from Kia was changed to a new warranty that expired at 61000 miles. My car has 71,000 miles. I was never advised of the warranty change or I would not have bought the car. The service guy told me I'm up a creek without a paddle. Don't know what to do!

- Jennifer P., Glenwood, US

Jan 072019

Soul 2.0L

I was driving back from a short road trip with my wife when my 2015 Kia Soul with 44k miles on it sputtered and then seized up leaving us stranded on the side of the roadway. I had Kia tow the vehicle to the nearest dealership where they assured me it would be covered by the factory warranty providing I pay to have the engine torn apart and inspected, which I did. After the inspection they said I just needed to provide my oil change receipts which I did. They denied me saying it was a lack of maintenance to the vehicle and it blew my mind. They said it would be about 5700 dollars to replace the engine! its been 125 days to the day since I have been without a car thanks to Kia.

- hally, Moore, US

Mar 182019

Soul

Out of the blue, the engine started making a rattling noise one day. The next day, the noise was an annoying knocking/ticking sound. The next day I took it to have the oil changed thinking it was the problem. The mechanic at the shop called and said it sounded like my engine. I went forward with the oil change thinking it will resolve once new oil is installed. It did not. I had it towed to the local dealership. It was there a day or so and I was informed it was indeed the engine and it would cost more than the car is even worth to repair. I towed the car back home where it is continuing to sit.

- Trinia P., High Point, US

Oct 262018

Soul SX 2L

My leased Kia Soul SX 2015 (It’s a 4-year lease car due back in 9 months) which was towed to KIA after it stalled and would not restart whike my 16 year old daughter was driving down a very busy road!. I am being told it is engine failure? The service rep said, "Well you have 125,000 km on it in three years" and I said, "What does that matter? I’ve had many vehicles in my life with way more mileage than that and no engine failure," service rep says, "Well there are large gaps between your servicing for oil changes," I said, "Really? So you have somehow seen all my records from Mr Lube where regular maintenance took place?" Service rep says, "Well that’s a problem right there. They probably used the wrong filters," so I say, "Are you ** kidding me? Estimate for repair I was told not under warranty, will be approx $5700 for new engine! I found a used one with 65km on it in Quebec being shipped to dealer then there is labour on top of that which will be approx$1300 and the rental car i needed now for two weeks $500 and the tow to dealership $191. All of which I am on the hook for. Yes I could fight it but Im a single mom who is now tapped out after all these expenses and cannot afford to pay for a rental any longer while it goes through complaint process. I was also told they typically deny any complaints when maintenance was done by other shops??

I dont even know why the engine failure occured, no engine or oil lights came on just shaking then loss of power, to diagnose I would have to wait till dealer can fit it in to their schedule to take it apart and was told because they are busy with winter tire season I could be waiting awhile WTF!! So I am DONE with KIA after this lease is up I will tell my story everywhere and if I start seeing numerous others with similar complaint ..Class Action all the way!

- keers, Campbellville, ON, Canada

Jul 012018

Soul Plus

It was scary for the motor to go out at that mileage but the dealer said they have records of the oil change and swapped out for free and gave me a loaner car. I would say overall they did a good job. Complaints are that they could have communicated better and it took about 2 months to get the engine in. I am the second owner and warranty covers engine on second owner until 60k so no worries. I still like Kias a lot but I am a little weary now. We will see.

- Wesley L., Denton, TX, US

Jul 242018

Soul 2.0L

2nd time same car. After the first 2015 Kia Soul 2.0L engine was replaced with a used engine per extended warranty on July 24, 2018, about 9k miles later, exact same thing happened. Engine noise and loss of power. This time I was on the way home from work and happened to be within 2 miles of Dealer. The only change after first engine replacement was the electronics worked fine and this time no warning lights or anything before failure or after. Car is currently waiting another used engine which will most likely be bad as well. Dealer told me they currently have 9 cars waiting engines.

- Kurt B., Swansea, US

Aug 102016

Soul 1.6L

Engine failed at 23,600 Mi. The Kia Dealer said that it was not covered under their warranty because I did not change the oil at a Kia dealer. Kia dealer went out of their way to call me a liar and basically told me to get lost. I had to pay for a engine out of pocket. The Kia engines are so cheap I was able to find a low millage engine for $1200. When I took it to the shop to replace the engine the mechanic said that they had just replaced an engine on a 2014 Kia Optima and they were familiar with the engine swap procedures on these new Kias. Last time I ever make the mistake of buying one of these cars. You have been warned.

- txjoe440, Plano, TX, US